Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-02-2014, 10:58 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Test Recipes Thread

I thought I'd start a new thread about recipes I am testing in the future.
I hope everyone will join in and post any recipes they try out as well.

I will mostly have lower carbed vegetarian recipes, but all recipes are welcome here.

I am hoping to share and find new ideas and different things to cook.
some may be simple, but I find that simple can be great too!!

Yesterday for the first time I made freezer jam. Oh man, that was so easy. I have made different jams numerous times and let me tell you, a lot of them were not successful.

I found a pkt of freezer jam mix, 1 carb per serving and it said I could use splenda. That got me going. So I made 4 jars of blueberry jam and it was the easiest and best tasting jam I ever made. I will definitely make this again.

I think the brand was Ball for the mix, but I am not 100% positive. Anyway, I was going to buy some sugarfree jam and when I was in the produce section, these packets were there on display, so I read it and nabbed one. I already had frozen blueberries at home.

This might not be new to anyone else, but I was impressed with the end results and the ease of using it. I did cook down my blueberries to make a thicker jam.

okay gals/guys, your turn. Any new recipe you have tried lately?
I think this thread could be fun. I hope ya'll join in.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2014, 11:19 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made some almond cookies, but I think the recipe needs tweaking.

It said to use grapeseed oil and I didn't have any, so I used regular vegetable oil--that might have been the problem.

They came out tasty though...the second half of the batter I put lemon zest in it and the cookies were way better tasting.

I may try this recipe again and lessen the oil and add orange zest and see how it turns out. If it's decent, I'll post it.
Old 07-11-2014, 03:23 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I picked a whack of figs off my big tree the other day and decided to make regular fig jam. A friend of mine requested it. I generally make strawbeery fig, raspberry fig, or cherry fig. Cherry turned out the best with splenda.

Of course figs are not LC, but they are vegetarian.

The recipe was simple...just figs, sweetner, and lemon zest and juice and then cook them down for an hour.

Then I sterilized the jars and processed them and got 7 half pints and 2 pints of fig jam and it's pretty...tasted pretty good too.

I mostly made it for a friend and to give away as it is something I would rarely eat, but I have all these figs this year...so yeah, I'll probably be making some more jello fig type later on.

This was the second easiest jam I've ever made and it only cost me 2 lemons and 2 splenda quick packs.

Last edited by Nigel; 07-11-2014 at 03:25 PM..
Old 07-24-2014, 02:19 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Food Lady
OK, I was inspired by paleo mint chip ice cream. I was out of peppermint extract, so I made a quick concentrated peppermint tea and blended it with avocado, half n half, whole milk, ice, and sweetener as a smoothie. It wasn't minty enough, but it would be great with actual peppermint and mint extracts. It's already green! And superdark chocolate doesn't have much sugar, so you could throw that in.
Food Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That sounds interesting.
Old 07-26-2014, 05:46 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

I don't know if I'm allowed to post a link to it. I'm still learning the rules.
Old 07-27-2014, 01:49 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You can post a link if the site doesn't have any advertising on it.
Mostly, I just copy and paste recipes.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:23 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Buttoni's Einkorn Hamburger Buns

Today I tested out Buttoni's Einkorn Hamburger buns.

I did two batches and tweaked both of them. The first batch, I substituted 1/2 c. chia flour for 1/2 c. of the almond flour. They turned out good.

The second batch is still baking...I subbed 1/4 c. pea protein and 1/4c. vital wheat gluten for 1/2 c. almond flour & did the same chia flour as the first batch.

I am not sure if my yeast and/or baking soda might be old. The first batch is a little dense and kind of flat, but very tasty. I like that it has so much protein in one bun.

I will post tomorrow on the results of the second batch. I may need to go shopping before I make a new batch....I think they should rise a bit more.

Last edited by Nigel; 07-27-2014 at 04:28 PM..
Old 07-27-2014, 04:26 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
I made some almond cookies, but I think the recipe needs tweaking.

It said to use grapeseed oil and I didn't have any, so I used regular vegetable oil--that might have been the problem.

They came out tasty though...the second half of the batter I put lemon zest in it and the cookies were way better tasting.

I may try this recipe again and lessen the oil and add orange zest and see how it turns out. If it's decent, I'll post it.
I made the almond cookies again, this time using honey instead of agave and I added more nuts and the zest of 2 oranges.

Next try, I will try using splenda to lower the carbs more.
When I get it perfected, I will post the best recipe, If anyone is interested.

It makes huge cookies and they are in between soft batch type and crispy. I prefer crispy but don't know how to achieve that yet.
Old 07-27-2014, 04:28 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yesterday, I made 2 pints of sugar free raspberry fig jam. The last of my figs from my big tree.

The jam came out good. I made it a bit chunkier than usual and even though figs are not low carb, at least I kept it sugar free.
Old 07-30-2014, 03:54 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Today I tested out Buttoni's Einkorn Hamburger buns.

I did two batches and tweaked both of them. The first batch, I substituted 1/2 c. chia flour for 1/2 c. of the almond flour. They turned out good.

The second batch is still baking...I subbed 1/4 c. pea protein and 1/4c. vital wheat gluten for 1/2 c. almond flour & did the same chia flour as the first batch.

I am not sure if my yeast and/or baking soda might be old. The first batch is a little dense and kind of flat, but very tasty. I like that it has so much protein in one bun.

I will post tomorrow on the results of the second batch. I may need to go shopping before I make a new batch....I think they should rise a bit more.
The second batch didn't turn out very good...I need more practice tweaking...I'll try again this weekend.
Old 08-20-2014, 09:42 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made a semblance of ice cream.

I took vanilla, splenda, coconut milk, and frozen strawberries and blended it all up in the ninja...it reminded me of strawberry ice cream.

I tried a hot dog recipe using almond flour and blah...it was awful. Tasted eggy and fell flat and I had new baking powder. I wish people wouldn't post recipes that really are terrible.

I will keep trying though.
Old 09-10-2014, 10:58 AM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I tried a French dressing recipe and tweaked it a little. Here is my recipe:

French Dressing:

1/2 cup apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup splenda
1 tablespoon yellow mustard
1 tablespoon grated onion
1 tablespoon paprika
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon dry parsley

Add all ingredients above together and put in blender...then slowly add
1 cup vegetable oil.

Rerigerate for an hour so flavors blend.

It still tasted a bit too sweet for me, but I recall regular French dressing is pretty sweet.
I might use less Splenda next time.
I got used to eating it about halfway thru my salad and decided I liked it. My wife liked it too.

*I think I might use dehydrated onion next time or onion powder just for more flavor.

Last edited by Nigel; 09-10-2014 at 11:02 AM..
Old 09-10-2014, 08:54 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Thank you for posting this! I miss french dressing sometimes. I'd have to do it with white wine vinegar, though.
Old 09-11-2014, 10:30 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

The white vinegar might help cut the sweetness a bit.

Please let me know if it does and I will tweak the recipe to better.
Old 09-11-2014, 11:41 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

If I get around to it; I'm just obsessed with blue cheese right now! And by the way, that recipe is 3 parts sour cream, 2 parts mayo, 1 to 2 parts gorgonzola cheese, salt and garlic to taste, vinegar (malt or white) to taste, cream to thin as needed. I could use enough vinegar to thin, but that gets too vinegar-y for me. If you use a blender, whirl it first and then stir in the cheese so it stays chunky. Soooo much better than store-bought.
Old 09-12-2014, 04:36 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the recipe. I needed a blue chees recipe.

I normally don't buy store bought dressings cuz of the ingredients in them and most of the time, they taste too sweet for me.

I'll try the blue cheese when I run out of French.
Old 09-12-2014, 11:44 PM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Bottled blue cheese dressing tastes too sweet to me also. I am at the point of eating this dressing out of the jar with a spoon, and I'm not ashamed, lol.
Old 09-13-2014, 09:05 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hear ya. LOL