Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2014, 05:34 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: ozley62
Vegetarian

I'm surprised there's a vegetarian section on this forum ? !! I was booted off a diabetic forum for dare telling the benefits of a high carb/low fat diet! Seems most people don't want to hear anything that goes against the LCHF belief?
ozley62 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-12-2014, 05:47 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MsKitty
I've seen some spirited debate and clashes, but in the end, people tend to mostly respect the dietary beliefs of others here.
Don't start nuthin', won't be nuthin'.
MsKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2014, 07:22 PM   #3

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
so right! we have a whole society dedicated to your ideas, no need to get into it here.
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:17 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozley62 View Post
I'm surprised there's a vegetarian section on this forum ? !! I was booted off a diabetic forum for dare telling the benefits of a high carb/low fat diet! Seems most people don't want to hear anything that goes against the LCHF belief?
Welcome to the board. I look forward to reading more of your posts.

This particular section gets sporadic posts, but the more people who post, the more chance of keeping it open.

I think more and more people are leaning towards vegetarian or at least one meatless meal per day. There are great vegetarian proteins available these days, as well as the usual eggs, tofu, and beans..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2014, 09:57 AM   #5
Junior LCF Member

I know plenty of people who've had great success with LCHF, so I'm not knocking anyone for that way of eating. But it doesn't work for everyone & I'm definitely one of the people whom it doesn't. I caught so much heat for talking about how well I was doing on a high carb/low fat vegan diet I decided to give LCHF a try, I gained about 25 lbs in a month. I felt so deprived of food I'd end up binging every few days. I've never have a problem or a want to binge eating a low fat vegan diet, I get to eat so much food & still lose weight I never feel deprived. I eat lots of potatoes & brown rice, along with lots of raw & cooked green vegetables. I eat small amounts of fruit like pineapple, blue berrys & strawberry , but usually in the morning. I try not to eat anything too sweet later in the day.

I was amazed to find how I could thrive on a high starch diet as long as I leave out the fats & oils. I can eat a large potato & barely raise my blood sugar above 90, but put one pat of butter on it & drive it up closer to 150. I don't think carbs are the enemy, they just don't play well with fat & oil.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:24 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We have to do whatever works best for us.

I can get away with eating more carbs than the average Joe.

I am basically on maintenance, but I mostly eat what I want in small amounts....like if I want mashed potatoes, I have half a cup and then just add more of non-starchy veggies.

Most of the time, I avoid sugar and starch if I can. Sometimes the cravings make me give in, but by doing LC, I did learn to control my portion size and not go crazy any more and eat a whole bag or box of something that is high carb.

When I was doing strict LC, I never allowed myself to cheat. When I lost a lot of weight, I started having one meal per week of anything I wanted, but only that one meal and no snacking on the leftovers either.

Finally, I got down to where I wanted to be and was afraid to eat starch or sugar at all and I still mostly avoid sugar and go for sugar free...but I found out that eating a few carbs actually helped me lose a little more weight--so carbs from starch are not my enemy, but sugar sure is.

There is some diet that people are on on one of the other diet forums here where they eat lots of potatoes...I can't recall the name of it, but some LC'ers have been doing better on that diet than strict LC.
Old 04-15-2014, 12:36 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Nigel? Were you referring to the "potato hack"?
Potato Hack on Paleo Blogs - Anyone Doing This?
Old 04-16-2014, 12:05 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MsKitty View Post
Nigel? Were you referring to the "potato hack"?
Potato Hack on Paleo Blogs - Anyone Doing This?
yeah, that's the one.

I haven't read the diet to see how it works.
Old 04-16-2014, 12:35 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

I'm not sure how it works either?, but there's so much around on this forum that I thought I'd get the actual link for ozley (if this is what you had in mind).
It's not what I'm doing just now, but I find it helpful to read about different things.
I can always use more knowledge. I'm working my way through the main concepts.

Last edited by MsKitty; 04-16-2014 at 12:35 PM.. Reason: it always helps to make sense
Old 04-16-2014, 05:18 PM   #10
Junior LCF Member

The Starch Solution by Dr. John McDougall is what got me started on this diet, I seen someone on another forum said they thought I was the potato hack, never heard of it before that. I thought the potato hack was like the soup **** on Seinfeld.

Last edited by ozley62; 04-16-2014 at 05:21 PM.. Reason: Misspelled word
Old 04-17-2014, 09:30 AM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

LOL...maybe one of those tater hackers will come over and explain it to us
Old 04-25-2014, 06:54 AM   #12
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Mayflowers
Stats: 197/196/150
WOE: CAD-Stress Eating Cure
Start Date: 4/13/14
Hi, you can follow a low carb-ish vegetarian program. The Carbohydrate Addict's Healthy for Life Plan has a whole section and recipes for vegetarians. If you're ovo lacto ....
That's the one I try to follow. When I do all vegan.. I gain weight. It's insulin resistance.
Mayflowers is offline   Reply With Quote