Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2013, 07:35 PM   #1
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 148.8
Start Date: Jan 2001
Need suggestions for a meatless grainless Thanksgiving

My DD and her BF are coming for tday and both are vegan. I recently made the leap to vegan but am so new at this, I need some ideas. My DH will go along with us.

I don't eat nuts or avocados (allergy). Can you help?
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-11-2013, 06:38 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
There is tofurky, a turkey substitute, but I would probably just go with lots of assorted veggies.

You can use vegan cheese to add a nice sauce to veggies.

Does the meal need to be low carb or just vegan?

I found lots of ideas via google, but a lot of them contain nuts or grains.

I like quorn chicken cutlets and you can make a great faux chicken parmesan with some vegan parmesan cheese and a nice marinara sauce for the top.

A hearty vegan stew or vegetable pot pie, sans the crust would be good.

You could stuff some winter squash with other veggies that you like and bake them. They are pretty filling.

A nice vegan meatloaf (they have recipes using lentils) would be good for Thanksgiving too or tofu steaks....that's about all I can think of right now.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2013, 01:12 AM   #3
Blabbermouth!!!

Thanks, Nigel.

I will look into the quorn chicken cutlets, tofurkey and lentil loaf.

At this point it has to be vegan. DD said they aren't eating grains or sugar. They probably will eat lentils, soy and veggies. So it is low carbish. I know with veggies the carbs can get up to the moderate range but they are all good carbs if they are veggies and even a little fruit for dessert or a pumpkin pudding / pie. My DH is low fat on top of this, so I know we can't hit the nail for everyone. Some will most likely pas on some things and not others. I will let you know how it goes.

Old 11-12-2013, 11:20 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
If you google vegan thanksgiving menus, you will find a lot of ideas there.
It might take a few searches, but there are options that might work out for you. I hope you have a great Thanksgiving!!
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
Blabbermouth!!!

I saw the movie Food Inc. and watched Forks over Knives last night with my DD and her BF. the BF was blown over. He is convinced he wants to do the Plant-based Program. My DD is vegan and I started 3 weeks ago. My DH will eat what I cook for him.

I recently read The China Study, Dr Neal Barnard's Program to Reverse Diabetes without Drugs, Dr Essylton's Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, Engine 2 Diet, My Beef with Meat and amd now reading Whole by Campbell. I lent the China Study and its cookbook to my DD's BF because he was so excited and is a chef. I explained how easy it would be to create vegan dinners and offer a meat entree for those patrons that want it.

I made some soy tempeh sauteed with celery, onions, mushrooms, low sodiumsoy sauce and poultry seasoning, it was better than tofurkey and we knew what was in it. I did a cauliflower riced with corn, edamame, carrots, red peppers, curry powder, soy sauce and chick peas. It too was a big hit. I made stuffing with Ezekiel raisin bread and veggies. Accompanied by sweet potatoes, broccoli florets, big salad, black olives, home made cranberry sauce (w/stevia) and 1/2 turkey breast for the two meat eaters. Everyone was happy with the results.

I changed to this plant based food because I don't want to harm any more animals and for my health. My two doctors are vegan, my DD, my brother, and my niece. I thought I would miss it. The hardest thing was cleaning the pan, the turkey roasted in because it sid smell good. Maybe next year we won'thave to cook the meat at all.

Happy Thanksgiving Day, everyone

Last edited by MaryMary; 11-28-2013 at 05:28 PM..