Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-10-2013, 03:38 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Meek75
WOE: Atkins
Diabetic becoming Vegan

My husband is a diabetic and wants to go vegan. Any advice? Where should we start?

Thanks.
Meek75 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-10-2013, 06:37 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I think Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live program is awesome
ouizoid is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 09:12 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ouizoid View Post
I think Joel Fuhrman's Eat to Live program is awesome
Thanks. I'll look into that program. Hugs.
Old 09-11-2013, 02:04 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
check out the site for fat free vegan - it also has some eat to live recipes on it.

If I'm correct, you have to cut out a lot of the fat, but I would recommend using as many fresh fruits and vegetables whenever possible.

If your husband likes beans, peas, lentils, chickpeas, etc., it will be easier to make meals for him. Black bean burgers are good.

I love the boca burgers that you find in the frozen foods section. I doctor them up with cilantro, chili poweder, cumin and sometimes butter, but if butter is out, you can use a butter substitute or pam spray. I like to grill mine, but they fry up great also.

For me, they have to be a little crispy on the edges to remind me of a real burger.

For bread, whole grain breads and I get the lowest carb ones possible. I don't use regular hamburger buns, I use the little flat buns, can't think of the name of them...hmmm...
Okay, orowheat sandwich thins, but there are other brands available also, just check the carb count.

In the frozen food section, you can find frozen veggie dogs, sausages, and assorted burgers as well as ground, chunks, and faux chicken strips/filets. The quorn brand is pretty good for the faux chicken. I don't care for their burgers at all.

Sunshine garden burger is pretty good, but my fave is still boca. I tried the chickpea and it isn't bad either.

Just make sure there is andequate protein and lots of veggies and fruits and less of the bread products.

There are good flat outs for wraps and pizza and low carb tortillas that taste decent.

Egg beaters are a great egg substitite also.

Protein drinks are good with almond or coconut milk. I like the pea protein powder but there are lots of others to choose from.

Last edited by Nigel; 09-11-2013 at 02:08 PM..
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2013, 02:12 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

ANother thing that is good is to start with a salad first at dinnertime and then you will eat less of the other foods.

You can measure out servings of the starchy veggies like potatoes and if you can switch him over to sweet potatoes or turnips, it will be better to keep his blood sugar stabalized.
Old 09-12-2013, 11:04 AM   #6

WOW - thanks for the info, Nigel. This should help me get him started .
Old 09-12-2013, 11:14 AM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: Ntombi
Stats: Restart: 360/284.4/190
WOE: Atkins for weight loss, NK for maintenance.
Start Date: Restarted: 1-3-13 Original: 8-23-02
You don't have to go low fat to eat a good vegan diet, especially if he's diabetic. He will still need to be conscious of his carbs to have good blood glucose control, and make sure he gets adequate protein, so fats will be crucial to his well-being and calories.

There are several good vegan oil and fat options, especially coconut oil (refined is flavorless, virgin has the coconut smell and taste), avocado oil, macadamia nut oil, and of course olive oil.

Last edited by Ntombi; 09-12-2013 at 11:15 AM..
Ntombi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ntombi View Post
You don't have to go low fat to eat a good vegan diet, especially if he's diabetic. He will still need to be conscious of his carbs to have good blood glucose control, and make sure he gets adequate protein, so fats will be crucial to his well-being and calories.

There are several good vegan oil and fat options, especially coconut oil (refined is flavorless, virgin has the coconut smell and taste), avocado oil, macadamia nut oil, and of course olive oil.
Thank you
Old 09-13-2013, 11:08 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

this might help:

Old 09-13-2013, 11:09 AM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

just use vegetarian type proteins instead of the meats
Old 09-13-2013, 01:40 PM   #11
Blabbermouth!!!

Ugh, that food pyramid is part of the problem with nutrition and diabetes in this country.
Old 09-14-2013, 07:26 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Ugh, that food pyramid is part of the problem with nutrition and diabetes in this country.

So what would be a good regimine to follow?

I am very interested in this as well.
Old 09-17-2013, 12:21 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Ntombi, Ntombi - where did you go?
Old 09-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mercuryfan
Stats: Fat Swine Pig
WOE: Vegetarian
Start Date: 09/15/03
egg beaters are not vegan, they contain egg whites.

If you go to PETA's website, they will send you a kit that will help switching to a vegan diet.

There are TONS of vegan blogs out there!!! All of them are very helpful.

Try some Gardein products...OMG, they are so good, and all of their products are vegan. They have a few selections at Wal-Mart!

Get some Earth Balance, a butter substitute, its really good!!

Good luck!!!
Mercuryfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2013, 07:20 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You're right. I was thinking Vegetarian...instead of Vegan.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:35 PM   #16
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: countingcarbs
Stats: 138/138/115
WOE: EFGT
Start Date: September 25, 2013
Quote:
I'm with you on that. I have Type 1 Diabetes and I followed a high carb meal plan for almost 4 years after my diagnosis, dietitian's orders.

Only within the past 9 months or so have I tried eating low-carb to help stabilize my blood sugars and let me tell you, it's been fantastic! I've never felt better, never had better blood sugars, and I've finally lost some weight.

Meek, if your husband takes insulin here's a tip for eating fruit: eat fruit at least 15 minutes after taking your insulin. This way it won't cause a spike in your blood sugar. Also, choose low-carb fruit, I like strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries; but I will also eat oranges, melon, and kiwi every now and then.

I hope this came across as helpful as opposed to preachy.

Last edited by countingcarbs; 09-27-2013 at 05:37 PM..
countingcarbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 06:11 PM   #17
Blabbermouth!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Ntombi, Ntombi - where did you go?
I'm so sorry, I only saw this today.

If I were a vegan diabetic, I would seriously limit my carbs, for the same reasons that non-vegans should limit theirs. Too many carbs lead to uncontrolled blood glucose, more meds, and more symptoms sooner. It's just not a good idea. That doesn't have to mean staying below ketosis levels, it could mean staying in the 100g range, more or less, depending on your body's reaction to carbs. The lower you go, the fewer meds you're likely to need, and the better your blood glucose will stay. Remember, every single incident of high BG does damage.

You deal with the same macros, fat, protein, carbs, and first figure out how much protein your body needs to maintain and nourish your muscles. Protein is primary. Then you figure out how to get that protein (hopefully without too much soy), and how many carbs the protein sources will have too, as most vegan protein sources have at least some carbs. Then you figure out how many, if any, more carbs you want to add. Then you plan on getting the rest of your calories from fat.
bought scale 9-7-02: 318/259.6/180?

Diagnosed with Multiple Sclerosis (and other conditions) Summer 2005 after years of misdiagnoses--> food plan went out the window!
Restarted--again--January 3, 2013.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:45 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the info, girls.
Old 09-30-2013, 07:22 AM   #19
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Emily-D
Stats: obese/healthy weight
WOE: 1992 Atkins (no grains, no soy)
Start Date: 3/1/04, Restart 4/22/10
I wouldn't recommend fruit juice to a diabetic.
Emily-D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2013, 08:01 PM   #20
Blabbermouth!!!

Me neither.
Old 10-01-2013, 11:50 AM   #21
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

So basically, just stay very low carb and substitute low carb proteins for meat--would that be correct for a diabetic vegan?

So, just guessing here, but would legumes be an acceptable form of protein for a vegan or what would they use for protein besides nuts?

It's hard to figure since a Vegan wouldn't eat eggs or cheese, so unless they eat soy products, what would they use for protein? Or would it be like a protein drink or something?
Old 10-10-2013, 07:17 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: mickey65
Stats: 265/216/140
WOE: Low Fat Diet
Start Date: Sept 2013
You might want to try reading Dr McDougall's books. His is a Vegan diet and has plenty of recipes.

I'm not diabetic but trying to avoid that by losing weight. I've lost 14 lbs this month on the diet and feel great.

I tried so many times to lose weight on low-carb, but just couldn't. The weight is just flying off on this one.
mickey65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2013, 11:36 AM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the suggestion. I will check out the books.
Old 10-26-2013, 12:05 PM   #24
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
I too am a former low carb success story gone vegan (McDougall plan). I lost 50+ pounds twice eating low carb. Both times after maintaining over a year, I just exploded out of low carbville. The second time, I was unable to get plan on plan and stay there after multiple years of trying. It's like my body is just rejecting the low carb menu or something.

At any rate, I have been able to stay OP, stop binge eating on sugary processed junk, and I've lost 8 pounds so far without counting any calories or trying to restrict portions.

The philosophy flies in the face of everything I thought I knew. But it is the only thing I have tried in over two years that has kept me out of binge food for over a week.

I have been working with this program since sometime in the summer. It has taken me a couple months or maybe a little more to really dial in on the foods that keep me satisfied and make it easy for me to stay on plan. I'm going to stick with it and keep monitoring my A1C.

Mini Goals:
#1: Weight 184 10/31/14
#2: Weight 179
#3: Weight 174
#4: Weight 169 (normal BMI)
#5: Weight 164
#6: Weight 159
#7: Weight 154
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:26 PM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

WElcome to our forum. Great that you are losing weight again.

If you have time and want to share some of your menus/recipes, that would be great.

I'm always looking for something different to eat, as I get so bored of the same stuff over and over again.
Old 11-28-2013, 05:38 PM   #26
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 154
Start Date: Jan 2001
I saw the movie Food Inc. and watched Forks over Knives last night with my DD and her BF. the BF was blown over. He is convinced he wants to do the Plant-based Program. My DD is vegan and I started 3 weeks ago. My DH will eat what I cook for him.

I recently read Campbell's The China Study, Dr Neal Barnard's Program to Reverse Diabetes without Drugs, Dr Essylton's Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, Engine 2 Diet, My Beef with Meat and and am now reading Whole by Campbell. I lent the China Study and its cookbook to my DD's BF because he was so excited and is a chef. I explained how easy it would be to create vegan dinners and offer a meat entree for those patrons that want it.

Today I made some soy tempeh sauteed with celery, onions, mushrooms, low sodiumsoy sauce and poultry seasoning, it was better than tofurkey and we knew what was in it. I did a cauliflower riced with corn, edamame, carrots, red peppers, curry powder, soy sauce and chick peas. It too was a big hit. I made stuffing with Ezekiel raisin bread and veggies. Accompanied by sweet potatoes, broccoli florets, big salad, black oives, home made cranberry sauce (w/stevia) and 1/2 turkey breast for the two meat eaters. Everyone was happy with the results.

I get a ton a protein grams from the veggies we eat. Protein is in everything to some degree. In some cases, there is more protein in greens than meat per calorie. My fiber is now around 60 grams.

I changed to this plant based food because I don't want to harm any more animals and for my health. My two doctors are vegan, my DD, my brother, and my niece. I thought I would miss it. The hardest thing was cleaning the pan, the turkey roasted in because it sid smell good. Maybe next year we won'thave to cook the meat at all.

Happy Thanksgiving Day, everyone

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 08:09 AM   #27
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.8/152
WOE: A72
Start Date: This time: 7/23/14
I've been thinking about buying The China Study as a holiday break read. I think I will do that! MaryMary, congrats on your weight loss!
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2013, 11:59 AM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryMary View Post
I saw the movie Food Inc. and watched Forks over Knives last night with my DD and her BF. the BF was blown over. He is convinced he wants to do the Plant-based Program. My DD is vegan and I started 3 weeks ago. My DH will eat what I cook for him.

I recently read Campbell's The China Study, Dr Neal Barnard's Program to Reverse Diabetes without Drugs, Dr Essylton's Prevent and Reverse Heart Disease, Engine 2 Diet, My Beef with Meat and and am now reading Whole by Campbell. I lent the China Study and its cookbook to my DD's BF because he was so excited and is a chef. I explained how easy it would be to create vegan dinners and offer a meat entree for those patrons that want it.

Today I made some soy tempeh sauteed with celery, onions, mushrooms, low sodiumsoy sauce and poultry seasoning, it was better than tofurkey and we knew what was in it. I did a cauliflower riced with corn, edamame, carrots, red peppers, curry powder, soy sauce and chick peas. It too was a big hit. I made stuffing with Ezekiel raisin bread and veggies. Accompanied by sweet potatoes, broccoli florets, big salad, black oives, home made cranberry sauce (w/stevia) and 1/2 turkey breast for the two meat eaters. Everyone was happy with the results.

I get a ton a protein grams from the veggies we eat. Protein is in everything to some degree. In some cases, there is more protein in greens than meat per calorie. My fiber is now around 60 grams.

I changed to this plant based food because I don't want to harm any more animals and for my health. My two doctors are vegan, my DD, my brother, and my niece. I thought I would miss it. The hardest thing was cleaning the pan, the turkey roasted in because it sid smell good. Maybe next year we won'thave to cook the meat at all.

Happy Thanksgiving Day, everyone

The food you made sounds good.
Old 12-07-2013, 11:02 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: sarahatl
WOE: No Flour No Sugar
Start Date: May 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by countingcarbs View Post
I'm with you on that. I have Type 1 Diabetes and I followed a high carb meal plan for almost 4 years after my diagnosis, dietitian's orders.

Only within the past 9 months or so have I tried eating low-carb to help stabilize my blood sugars and let me tell you, it's been fantastic! I've never felt better, never had better blood sugars, and I've finally lost some weight.

Meek, if your husband takes insulin here's a tip for eating fruit: eat fruit at least 15 minutes after taking your insulin. This way it won't cause a spike in your blood sugar. Also, choose low-carb fruit, I like strawberries, blackberries, and raspberries; but I will also eat oranges, melon, and kiwi every now and then.

I hope this came across as helpful as opposed to preachy.
This is so true. I used to be a vegetarian until I was diagnosed with pre diabetes....beans and even fruit spike my blood sugar. I had to go back to eating meat -as much as I do not like it - there is only so much low (I mean low carb) that you can eat on a vegetarian diet. I feel so much better though now that I stopped eating beans and fruits. I had to go with what my body was telling me. Never thought I would eat meat like I am now but what am I to do?
sarahatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2013, 01:45 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You have to do what is best for your body.

I eat a lot of faux meats which are made from soy or beans or quorn products. A lot of times, my protein is beans and cheese. I am trying to cut back on the cheese as it is high in cholestrol.

Everybody is different, so it's a trial and error process to see what works for us and helps us stay on track. The main thing is that we have energy and feel good and are healthy.