Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-11-2014, 06:11 AM   #61
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: SlowSure
Stats: 157/105/105-110
WOE: JUDDD Maintenance.
Start Date: 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Doggygirl View Post
I have started to struggle. Could it be possible that over time, even the "good" (aka not processed junk) carbs cause cravings for too many?

Sigh.

I'm thinking about going back to low carb. I'm actually starting to wonder about some of the older theories about food combining (i.e. no fat + carbs, fat only with protein, etc.) I wonder if there is any merit to those theories balancing things out meal by meal?
Nancy (amongst others) is having similar speculations on a thread about her pre-diabetes and eating to her glucose meter.
SlowSure is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-12-2014, 07:37 AM   #62
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/191.8/152
WOE: Low Carb
Start Date: This time: 12/17/14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSure View Post
Nancy (amongst others) is having similar speculations on a thread about her pre-diabetes and eating to her glucose meter.
Thank you for this link! I will check out the discussion.
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2014, 07:50 PM   #63
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sarahkitty
Hey, I'm doing it. Doing veg and am diabetic.
Why I started: Diabetes was a 'gift' from my grandmother. Starting out with 2 metformin a day, I learned about low carb, then found Netrition (a life saver for diabetics) and eventually was able to reduce intake to ONE pill a day. I was so proud. It took several years.
Then the bad news: The doctor said my cholesterol was 280. Of course he wrote a script for a statin.
I left the doctor's office determined I would not take a statin, and a little surprised no one at the doctor's office had ever asked me what I was eating in order to reduce rather than up the metformin (which is usually the case). Don't they even care?
At home I realized I was at the bottom of the barrel. Nothing to eat except greens. How would I ever survive appetite? Then I remembered Boca burgers. I bought several boxes and ate 2 patties twice a day with broccoli or cabbage or salad.
I joined a Vegetarian board, but most of the posts I couldn't relate to. They didn't have diabetes. So I wrote a post explaining my situation (just like you did here) and asked for help. The best advice was from a man who told me about a brand of prepackaged foods called "Gardien".
They are a comparatively new company and they put all the old brands to shame -Bocas, Morning Star, etc. Some of their offerings are just awesome. My three favorites are: 'Beefless Strips with Szechuan sauce, Crispy Chik'n with Mandarin Orange, and their 'Beefless burger'. I like them even more because they are quick and you just sizzle them in the pan, no baking involved. Also 'Veggie crumbles' - you can make a decent chile with the addition of sauteed onions, sugar-free relish and Guy's Barbecue sauce, available here.
Now I had a veggie and a 'meat' accompaniment. (the Gardien items are extremely low carb and zero cholesterol, by the way.)
Then I learned about Flaxseed, the benefits of using them, and found awesome flaxseed breads and muffins and much more here on this board. On those recipes, I learned about almond flour. Now I have veggies, very edible 'meats', and breads. Who could ask for anything more?
I am now doing 1 half of one pill a day. Sometimes I don't need that but use it in case I want to indulge in a couple of Sugar-free candies or caramel apple slices after. I didn't have a lot of weight to lose, thanks to low-carb eating, but even so I have lost about two pounds in my middle where I wanted to lose it. (I weigh about 132.)
You can do it. Just a little bit of the beans because they will bloat you and raise your sugar once on this diet, and no more than 1/4 cup. Use them therefore in the chile.
I also use lemon (in tea), occasionally one quarter of a grapefruit, and for a treat, one quarter of an apple, (I like Granny Smith) sliced thin with Smucker's sugar-free caramel sauce lavished on it.
I buy broccoli when it's on sale and slice it and put it in freezer bags and use it a lot. (You can take several spears, put them in a pyrex bowl and nuke them if nothing else.) Only once have I gone off the wagon. I used a can of tuna which had the lowest carb content I could find in my pantry.
Now what to do with all the meat in the freezer and those darn boca-burgers..
I started early October -will see the doctor for new tests early January.

Last edited by Sarahkitty; 11-21-2014 at 07:55 PM..
Sarahkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 10:02 AM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Welcome Sarahkitty,
It sounds like you are doing great. I love reading positive posts like yours.
As for the boca burgers, I love 'em. I have trouble with the Gardein products because they contain too much garlic and garlic doesn't like me. I can get away with very small increments, but most things already made have lots of it.
Boca suggestions:
-Chop up and add taco seasoning for a great taco salad or lc taco
*Saute with a little onion and some mushrooms to make a mock salisbury steak
~Fry or grill them in cilantro butter...it makes them so much better and top with cheese
-Chop them up and use as you would normally use any hamburger such as meatloaf, meatballs, etc.
*Marinate them in something you like...low sodium soy sauce, teriyaki sauce, etc. and then bake or fry
~I make a squash recipe using the boca crumbles, so you could crumble up the burgers for casseroles too.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 12:03 PM   #65
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Sarahkitty
Hi Nigel! Isn't this a good board to hang out at? No one is ever prissy, they just want to learn from one another. I have read several of your posts before now and enjoy what you have to say, b.t.w.
-Didn't know about the garlic -maybe it's only in their sauces? Anyway, I guess I'm immune -heck, when I fry my prepackaged items I use a little oil, wait for it to become hot, then sprinkle pepper and some garlic powder in the oil before frying - no salt. (I've been told garlic is good for diabetes.)
(The cat loves the smell of garlic and always joins me in the kitchen, begging, okay, whining, for more food!)
More than once I have thought 'the next time I do this, I'll omit the garlic.' It's not so easy to attempt to prepare your meal with a petulant pet at your feet. He weighs 25 pounds, so don't pick him up!
Those are good ideas about the bocas. I prefer Boca crumbles over others out there, and enjoy Morning Star bacon too.
Sarahkitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2014, 03:08 PM   #66
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 148
Start Date: Jan 2001
Great ideas! We just got invited to DH's sister's house for Thanksgiving and we told them all four of us are vegan. They asked us to bring a salad. I think I will bring quinoa dish and a veggies dish too just to be safe. Last time they put butter on the veggies and we don't eat butter. I love it but just don't eat it anymore. They put milk in the potatoes. Can't eat. So we will plan something. We don't eat bread stuffing because it is white flour but somehow still lose weight. I am right where I want to be and DD is trying not to gain

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2014, 01:51 PM   #67
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Thanks Sarahkitty..I can just imagine your cat. lol

MaryMary, I hear ya. We are staying home this Thanksgiving but I haven't figured out what all I'm cooking yet. I guess I'd better get on that too.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote