Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-16-2014, 11:08 AM   #31
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: StephanieK
Stats: 430/370/Decide when I get there
WOE: Mostly Vegan/Vegetarian Whole Foods
Start Date: 2/3/2014
I switched to mostly vegan on 2/3/2014 after seeing how it helped my BIL lower his insulin requirements. His cardiologist put him on the Dr. Esselstyn diet which is lowfat vegan. When I saw how well he was doing in just a few weeks I thought I would give it a try. Low carbing had not been working at all for me in blood sugar control. I watched Forks Over Knives and a couple other documentaries and decided to give it a shot. My blood sugar readings dropped 60 points in a couple days. It blew my whole carbs are evil for diabetics thinking out the window. The key factor is eating whole foods. I'm not doing low fat at this time. I use common sense on portions though.

I've lost 20 pounds, my rosacea is nearly cleared up and a stubborn rash on my elbow from the early days of low carbing is almost gone.

I will be honest, it is a bit more work to plan but I don't miss the meat at all. I will eventually go vegan but had some good cheese that I just couldn't toss. I'm allergic to eggs so that wasn't an issue. I thought I would have hunger and cravings like I did before when I went vegetarian but that hasn't happened at all. I'm eating whole foods and avoiding the highly refined foods and I believe that is the key.

For me the big thing was normalizing blood sugar readings simply by diet alone. The weight loss and clear skin is an added benefit.
StephanieK is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2014, 03:59 PM   #32
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 157
WOE: Vegan ETL GS NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
That's great news Stephanie. I watched the documentary and it changed my thinking too. Read all the books I could get my hands on. Today is day 100 as a vegan. And loving it. When I went for my physical at the end of January, my BP was 100/60 and cholesterol was 141. Triglycerides were 34 and sugars 88. I have more energy than I can remember.

I love hearing stories like yours. Keep it up and come back and share here.
MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2014, 07:55 AM   #33
Major LCF Poster!

Those are great numbers!
Old 02-18-2014, 06:04 PM   #34
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Doggygirl
Stats: 204/183.2/152
WOE: In Limbo
Start Date: Each day is a new day to start fresh.
McDougall et. al. have totally changed my thinking. My experience eating low fat vegan (McDougall Style) is blowing my mind after programming myself for low carb all those years.

MaryMary - you are an inspiration!
Doggygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:06 AM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/104/103 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Great thread....

Quote:
Doggygirl McDougall et. al. have totally changed my thinking. My experience eating low fat vegan (McDougall Style) is blowing my mind after programming myself for low carb all those years.
Do you mind posting a sample of your menu?

I have looked at his site, and borads.....very interesting. I am making crock pot potatoes today. Got the ideal from his followers.

I don't do well on a lot of salad type dishes...I feel better with cooked veggies.

Thanks....
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2014, 10:08 AM   #36
Senior LCF Member

WTG Stephanie!! Are you a t2 or t1? My dh is a t2, a LCer, and no desire to go veg or vegan.

So IF I do this I do this a lone. And still cook lots of meat for the rest of the family. But I am sure many others do that also.
Old 02-20-2014, 04:03 AM   #37
Blabbermouth!!!

Saltnpepper, is that a pic of a schnauzer. Ours died 18 months ago. It is almost time to find another one.

My menu is still evolving. Trying to find a balance where I don't feel stuffed. I eat 3 times a day. At breakfast I am having some raw veggies and a fruit smoothie right now with unsweetened almond, coconut milk, chai seed, soy protein powder. The powder is almost gone and when it is, I will get a veggie based powder.

Lunch is some tempeh or tofu burger, acooked veggie, a salad, some tahini sauce, and fruit. Supper is similar except I will have a different protein, some raws, 2 cooked veggies & a fruit. I am thinking of trying some starchy veggies.

I am not sure yet about grains. I have cooked some beans and froze them in 2 oz serving sizes to add to the dish.

Any suggestions?

Old 02-20-2014, 04:55 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the reply MaryMary

Yes he is part schnauzer, part poodle. A schnoodle He is a rescure dog, we love him so much. He is the best....but you know how good they are. So sorry for your loss.

Wow your menu looks terrific. And it is certainly working for you. I am over 50, and worry about eating so many animal products. As everyone else I know, I want to avoid all the aging illness that our population has. Anyway I just want to learn what is best for my body.

Do you advise any one way of eating over another? I have been reading some on Dr McDougall's site. Lots of starch.....people there seem to do fine with it.

Your a rock stat, and I appreicate you listing your menu.

I have started eating a few slices of Ezekiel Bread a week. Usually for breakfast. I use a thin covering of peanut butter. I understand it is a no no. But if I don't I get really hungry. And that is a problem for me. I get hungry a lot. I eat 5 or 6 mini meals at this time.

Anna
Old 02-20-2014, 05:11 AM   #39
Blabbermouth!!!

I am following Eat to Live for the most part 100% vegan. I tried grain (oatbran) and am not sure if it agrees with me. I haven't had any grain in a couple years. My shrink is vegan and he gave up grain last spring. He had been vegan for 3-4 yrs but coukdn't lose the last 20 lbs until he stopped eating grains. I am trying to eat some raws at breakfast, lunch and dinner with cooked at lunch and dinner, then a protein and all three meals, with some seeds thrown in, like flax, chia and sesame (tahini). I am definitely not hungry. So I think I need to move more.
Old 02-20-2014, 11:09 AM   #40
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltnpepper View Post
WTG Stephanie!! Are you a t2 or t1? My dh is a t2, a LCer, and no desire to go veg or vegan.

So IF I do this I do this a lone. And still cook lots of meat for the rest of the family. But I am sure many others do that also.
T2.

My BIL didn't start this soon enough to avoid having to have a stent done today. He was at 99% blockage. But when his cardiologist put him on the lowfat vegan diet his cholesterol was over 300 with meds. That was the lowest he could ever get it for years. Anyway his cholesterol was 165 this morning and that is just from being on the diet since early January.

My BIL has been a heart patient for 30 years and tried everything to no avail.

I used to think I couldn't give up meat and dairy but I can say since I have finally given it up I feel so much better. I still have a freezer full of good organic meat and it just isn't calling my name any longer. I don't have cravings either.

If you have some health issues then give it a shot and see if it helps.
Old 02-21-2014, 09:08 AM   #41
Major LCF Poster!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltnpepper View Post
Great thread....

Do you mind posting a sample of your menu?

I have looked at his site, and borads.....very interesting. I am making crock pot potatoes today. Got the ideal from his followers.

I don't do well on a lot of salad type dishes...I feel better with cooked veggies.

Thanks....
Hi S&P! For me the secret to success on McDougall is to not fear starch, and really adhere to NO added fats. I still have weight to lose so I do not eat naturally fat foods such as nuts and avacados either right now.

Typical breakfast: Oatmeal & berries (I love this and eat it every day)

Typical lunch: Crock pot soup - split pea or 15 bean are my favorites. I make a pot on the weekend and then take it for lunch all week usually with some raw vegetables (i.e. carrots & celery) and some fruit.

Typical dinner: Either rice or potatoes (white or sweet) and a big pile of cooked vegetables. One example would be russet potato smothered with a huge pile of broccoli and cauliflower with seasoned tomato sauce on top. Another example would be rice (I'm loving black rice lately) with a pound of frozen, microwaved "stir fry" mixed vegetables on top, with low salt tamari & some srirachi sauce.

For snacks I make air popped popcorn.

I too am in a phase where I'm liking cooked veg more than salads. That might change once the summer heat arrives later in the year!

I'm shocked how well I'm doing. I'm shocked how well I'm sticking to this plan when I was not able to string 3 low carb days in a row together for several years. I'm REALLY shocked how my fasting blood sugars (which were in pre-diabetic range) are returning to under 100.

Good luck!
Old 02-23-2014, 10:13 AM   #42
Senior LCF Member

Hey Doggygirl thanks for the reply.

Your menu looks great. Do you have to cook for others? I have good thoughts, then I cook a meal for the family.....and you guessed the rest. I know a lot of others do that. But it is really hard.

I'm thinking I might try WW, do it vegetarian, and if I fall off it just cost me points. KWIM?

Quote:
I'm shocked how well I'm doing. I'm shocked how well I'm sticking to this plan when I was not able to string 3 low carb days in a row together for several years. I'm REALLY shocked how my fasting blood sugars (which were in pre-diabetic range) are returning to under 100.
That is wonderful!! I too worry about blood sugars. WOW

What got you started on this WOE if you don't mind me asking?

Thanks for your insight.
Old 02-23-2014, 10:14 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Also to any of you all

Did you do this a little at a time, or just jump in??

Thanks
Old 02-23-2014, 11:36 AM   #44
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
For me, it was a slow transition. I just stop liking meat, first I couldn't stomach pork, then beef, then chicken and turkey. It all seemed to disagree with me and then I couldn't stand the smell.

So I am a backsliding vegetarian and I know I can never be vegan--don't like the vegan cheese and other types of vegan diary products that I have tried.

I only backslide to bacon--that is the one thing I still give into occasionally. I never got sick from that, but most of the time, I use the vegetarian bacon substitutes.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2014, 04:50 PM   #45
Blabbermouth!!!

I came to this gradually too. I started a couple years ago when my husband asked me to do a meatless Monday for some sort of health activity at his work. And I did ok. It became a habit. Then I noticed I was looking for meals I thought I could enjoy for breakfast. I would have an egg every so often but then last summer I switched my breakfast totally vegan. Had 3 meals I liked and rotated.

Lunch was a challenge because that is when I would typically have meat. I started experimenting with fake meats, soy tempeh and tofu. I tried the soy cheese but didn't like it either.

Supper was the sticky one. I absolutely loved my greek yogurt at supper mixed with pumpkin, flaxseed, stevia, pp spice and flavorings. How could I do this? Then one day I tried using tofu instead. The second day I whipped it in my Ninja. I couldn't tell the difference and I could heat this up and have it like a warm pudding. I would cut an apple up and dip it into it. Now I love that. So early in November I jumped off the cliff and went full monty. I would tell myself it is just for today. If I want to have bacon I can. I loved it too Nigel and still do.

I would cook for my meat eater husband with no problems as it was his food not mine so I just didn't eat it. The night before Thanksgiving we watched Forks over Knives together with my DD and her BF. DD is vegan and her BF is not. I cooked a turkey breast for those two and all the rest was vegan delicious. I am absolutely amazed at the delicious things I can cook that have no meat, eggs or dairy.

I read Jr and Senior Esseltyn's books as well as Neal Barnard, T Colin Campbell and Joel Furman. I have an outline I follow that works very much like what I did before I gave up meat. Oddly, after we watched the movie that night my DD's BF said he was going to do vegan just like that. I told him he better eat the turkey I cooked for him. So once the meat was gone, my DH transitioned over too. And so did the BF. My DD feels like she died and went to heaven because BF is a chef by trade, cooks for her and is conflicted about going back in the summer to the place he worked at last summer. I suggested he get a job at a vegan restaurant. Who knows what will happen?

Since I switched, I have seen some documentaries about the abuse animals go through so that we can slaughter and roast their carcass on the grill. That is what keeps me doing this. I don't want to contribute to the slaughter any longer.

I still like bacon, grilled chicken and yogurt. I don't know if I will ever have it again. Maybe. But not for today.

My husband lost more weight and now we have a problem because I think he lost too much. He is 6' tall and weighed 149 on Saturday. Never in his life has he weighed that except maybe in 7th grade. So I am going on blogs trying to find recipes where he can gain back a few lbs. Most of the things are desserts that I would be in heaven eating but they are healthy desserts. It will involve nut butters and sweets like using maple syrup or agave to make a dish. I saw one today where you take oatmeal and run it through the food processor so it is finer, add two mashed up bananas and two other ingredients of your choice, like vegan chocolate chips and vanilla extract or nuts. That's it. Make drop cookies and cook at 350 for 10-12 minutes until they are set with a crisp on the edges and the chips are softened. Easy smeasy.

Last edited by MaryMary; 02-23-2014 at 04:54 PM..
Old 02-24-2014, 05:12 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Nigel and MaryMary... thank you so much for your input.

I am running late for work, but I will get back to you tonight.

Love the slow go process. Maybe I could do that??

Thanks again
Old 02-24-2014, 10:49 AM   #47
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, you could do that pretty easily.

Long before I ever quit eating meat and did low carb, I found boca burgers thru some low fat diet I was trying at the time. Admittedly at first, I didn't care for them. Then I doctored them up and figured out how to make them good. Now I prefer them. I tweak everything these days.

Not all meat substitutes are tasty. Some of them are like cardboard. The main thing is to "not" expect something to taste like the meat version would...just accept the product for the way it is and not consider a boca burger like a hamburger, etc. The faux hot dogs aren't too bad...some of them taste just like chewing on the garden hose. Trial and error is how you will find out. Or maybe you can leave the faux foods out and make your own bean burgers, etc. Some people don't like the faux meats, but I love them. The buffalo wings by MSF are delicious and don't taste like faux meat at all. Even my wife thought they were decent.

And I am a work in progress. I still have lots of items I have not tried yet, but they are on my list...like making cashew cheese, and things like that.

I did like the almond cheddar cheese that is vegan, but I can't recall the brand name I bought. The provolone was disgusting. The pepper jack kind was okay, but had an odd aftertaste to it. The best was the cheddar made from almonds...I got it at Whole Foods.

I have a few other brands to try one of these days. I had vowed to go total vegan this year, but since I had lousy results from the sour cream and cheeses, I decided not to do that just yet. One of these days, maybe I can find suitable substitutes and conquer my goal. My wife is a total carnivore, but she will eat some of the vegetarian stuff I make, but she has to have some meat on the plate too.

Mary/Mary, I enjoyed reading your story. Maybe some protein drinks would help the hubby.

Last edited by Nigel; 02-24-2014 at 10:53 AM..
Old 02-25-2014, 09:57 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wigglesmom
Stats: 232~232~162
Start Date: Every day
I have a yummy homemade veggie burger recipe but it's not really low carb. It is gluten free though. I usually double the recipe and freeze them for convenience. I tried a lot of the frozen ones at the store and just didn't care for any of them.

1 15 oz. can of great northern beans, rinsed and drained (or any other type of bean)
1 cup cooked brown rice
1/2 cup oat flour (I coarsely grind my own gluten free oats)
3 tbs. BBQ sauce (could use salsa or other type of liquid)
1 tbs. chili powder (or other spices)
1 cup sautéed veggies such as onions, garlic, mushrooms, peppers, etc.

Mash the beans and add remaining ingredients. Shape into four patties. Pan-fry or bake.

I haven't tried grilling them yet but may try but first laying down foil on the grill.
Old 02-25-2014, 11:27 AM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the recipe. I will give it a try. I don't count carbs too strictly anymore, just when I feel like I've strayed too long.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:35 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Wigglesmom thanks for posting. Sounds good.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:38 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Nigel For me, it was a slow transition. I just stop liking meat, first I couldn't stomach pork, then beef, then chicken and turkey. It all seemed to disagree with me and then I couldn't stand the smell.

So I am a backsliding vegetarian and I know I can never be vegan--don't like the vegan cheese and other types of vegan diary products that I have tried.
I was a vegetarian for several years.....but I fell off a bunch. I would get hungry and eat. That is why I am afraid to commit.
Old 02-25-2014, 05:47 PM   #52
Senior LCF Member

MaryMary what a story!!

I think I'll print it off for insperation. My dh will not go veg/vegan. BUT I will not give up. I have had 2 servings of chicken in the past 2 weeks. That's a big change. As I was LCing.

MM I think you are so right about reading and learning. I read "The Jungle" a few years ago....that got me to thinking.

Sorry I am so short here. Your are a wealth of information and hope. I am under a lot stress right now and I just don't have time to read much or do much. BUT I am changing. I just know it's the right thing to do.

Thank you for sharing your stories. Anything else you want to add I would love to hear.

As for now I'm just eating simple/plain. Lots of starch, as Doggygirl said "Don't fear the starch." By lots I mean lots in the LC world. 1/2 potatoe for lunch and dinner, with lots of greens. (cooked greens)

Thanks
Old 02-25-2014, 07:21 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

I've been back and forth with going vegetarian for two or so years. It's hard because I'm lucky if I can get my husband to eat a salad let alone giving up meat. I would give up meat for weeks at a time but then give in because of convenience.

I was recently diagnosed with a type of arthritis which makes it difficult to get around so sometimes I have to rely on hubby to do the shopping and cooking. I also just had knee surgery three weeks ago. Hopefully, once I get back on my feet again, I can try to jump on the bandwagon. . I have a stash of veggie burgers in the freezer and a cabinet full of beans and lentils so I do get an on plan meal in there once in awhile.

I do read this board often to get some good ideas. Thanks everyone!
Wigglesmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2014, 06:05 PM   #54
Blabbermouth!!!

Hope you feel better soon, Wigglesworth.

Today I celebrated my birthday. Normally the boss buys a cake when it is someone's birthday. The last one doesn't eat cake, so she got her a fruit bouquet. I thought they would do that but instead it was a yankee candle that smelled like a birthday cake.
Old 02-26-2014, 06:22 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Happy birthday Mary! I love Yankee Candles.

Old 03-09-2014, 04:46 PM   #56
Major LCF Poster!

I have started to struggle. Could it be possible that over time, even the "good" (aka not processed junk) carbs cause cravings for too many?

Sigh.

I'm thinking about going back to low carb. I'm actually starting to wonder about some of the older theories about food combining (i.e. no fat + carbs, fat only with protein, etc.) I wonder if there is any merit to those theories balancing things out meal by meal?

Anyway...I guess the journey to find a lifetime way of eating may never end (for me anyway..).
Old 03-10-2014, 10:44 AM   #57
Senior LCF Member

I hear you Doggygirl. It's a struggle for me every day.

It's driving me insane because I constantly change the way I eat everyday because I don't know what is best. I guess people are right that the best diet is the one you can stick to. Jumping from diet to diet has to stop for me. I know that I get stomach pains when I eat gluten so that's a definite. I wish I could just eat "normally." But what is normal?

The only plan that I lost a lot of weight on was Weight Watchers. At that time, I didn't restrict any type of food and just counted points. If I didn't want to eat meat, I didn't. If I didn't want to eat fruit, I didn't. I didn't really obsess on that plan like I do trying to eat low carb.

WW might be my best route because I need to get this weight off because of joint issues. I need to focus and think of food as just something I have to do for health and not "enjoyment."
Old 03-11-2014, 04:45 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Doggygirl I have started to struggle. Could it be possible that over time, even the "good" (aka not processed junk) carbs cause cravings for too many?

Sigh.

I'm thinking about going back to low carb. I'm actually starting to wonder about some of the older theories about food combining (i.e. no fat + carbs, fat only with protein, etc.) I wonder if there is any merit to those theories balancing things out meal by meal?

Anyway...I guess the journey to find a lifetime way of eating may never end (for me anyway..).
I think it is a journey for a lot of us. Do what you need to do....for you.
Old 03-11-2014, 04:47 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Wigglesmom I hear you Doggygirl. It's a struggle for me every day.

It's driving me insane because I constantly change the way I eat everyday because I don't know what is best. I guess people are right that the best diet is the one you can stick to. Jumping from diet to diet has to stop for me. I know that I get stomach pains when I eat gluten so that's a definite. I wish I could just eat "normally." But what is normal?

The only plan that I lost a lot of weight on was Weight Watchers
I change a lot also.....because they all sound good, and I can't seem to stay on any one way for over a week????
Old 03-11-2014, 05:01 AM   #60
Major LCF Poster!

Pattie & Saltnpepper - I have no idea what diet is right but I know one thing for sure - both of your doggies (avatars) are ADOREABLE!!