Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vegetarian (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/)
-   -   recipe ideas for veggies (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/809464-recipe-ideas-veggies.html)

Fiona1678 08-04-2013 01:04 PM

recipe ideas for veggies

HI all,

am totally new to this low carbing and to be honest dreading it as I am a carb addict. I'd love for any suggestions on recipes ...I am naughty and do eat fish ..also I am based in bonny Scotland so we defo don't have access to some of the low carb products in the US...any help would be fab xxx

Nigel 08-04-2013 03:28 PM

Also check the recipe and suggestions forum. There are often vegetable recipes posted or meat with vegetable recipes that you can just omit the meat in.

I mostly eat fresh veggies, very often just steamed with some butter or cheese sauce and I eat lots of salads.

Raw vegetables and the skin of the vegetables are the best for you.

I don't know if you eat soy or any faux meats, but I use a lot of them as well. And I eat beans a couple of times per week.

Oven roasted veggies really bring out the flavor in some things, like sweet potatoes, cabbage, brussels sprouts, etc.

I hope this helps. If you search thru this forum also, there are a few veggie recipes posted.

Nigel 08-04-2013 03:30 PM

p.s. Welcome to the forum.

Jcslim 10-06-2013 09:48 AM

Raw veggies like zucchini, carrots, dips that are raw like raw cashew blended with organic olive oil and fresh garlic .... or make a advocado spread with chopped cilantro and red onion and a lil lime juice .....you can make advocado
lettuce wraps .... or how about raw zucchini spirals with chopped tomatoes and fresh basil a lil olive oil and a bit of raw garlic on top .... eating raw at least part of your day is very healthy. :)

Heidinem 10-07-2013 04:56 AM

I have found that turnips sliced and fried in coconut oil make a great substitute for potatoes. Surprisingly they do not soak up a lot of oil. These have become my goto veggie when I am craving carbs.

Jcslim 10-07-2013 09:36 AM

Konjac noodles are low net carbs and you can make a low carb coconut Thai soup with konjac noodles .... roasted seaweed snacks are low carb and great for a salty snack wasabi flavoured is spicy .... almond milk is low carb and so are some coconut milk in cans .... eating a salad before a meal will fill you up and either making your own dressing or buying Annie's brand is a healthier choice than some of those other dressings with too many ingredients that you can barely pronounce or even guess what it is Lol :)

bobbyt 10-21-2013 02:06 PM

Homemade kale chips are a great snack while being low carb and low calorie. This recipe calls for olive oil but you can substitute it with coconut oil if you'd like! I also don't put nearly as much salt as the recipe says..I kinda just put a bit in my palm and sprinkle it throughout: Crispy Kale Chips Recipe : Melissa d'Arabian : Recipes : Food Network

veggieatkins 12-09-2013 05:47 AM

Quorn chicken pieces are great in a bowl with some single cream and a handful of brussel sprouts. Add salt, pepper, herbs - Microwave for 4 to 5 minutes and you have a lovely creamy 'chicken' dish :)

kind 08-23-2014 10:35 PM

Any one try the Veggetti?? You can turn any veg. into spaghetti.
I would like to do more of the vegartaian type way of eating.
I like to know how to use tofu.instead of meat.
But dont think i could not have chicken..which i have at times.
and i still eat eggs to.and cheese.
But doing alot of plant base foods. like salad sand green smoothies.

Nigel 08-24-2014 09:41 AM

There is a thread about the vegetti on the recipe help and suggestions forum. I haven't read it, but that might help. I did see them at walmart one day, but I was in a hurry so I didn't have a good look at them.

I haven't learned how to cook tofu either...it's on my bucket list though. :)