Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-31-2013, 11:54 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
SEMI-VEGETARIANS &/or Omnivore/Carnivore/Herbivore - what's for dinner?

Omnivore/Carnivore/Herbivore - what's for dinner?

I posted this for everyone and for the semi-vegetarians as well...those of us who might occasionally give into a s couple of slices of bacon or use real chicken broth in a soup, stuff like that.

I could borrow the line from food network and say meat on the side, but I'm not good at returning things so I usually don't borrow them.

I've never been an "all or nothing" sort of guy, so I can't actually define myself one way or the other, hence the title of the thread.

And...I'm out of dinner ideas too.

I also posted this on the recipe suggestions forum if anyone wants to visit there.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-31-2013, 09:08 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
For me it was an egg for breakfast, a bowl of mostly vegetable soup for lunch (a really intense chicken broth with mushrooms, kale, a few white beans, onion, celery, a little carrot, olive oil, some shreds of chicken, and a couple tablespoons of whole-fat grass-fed local yogurt -- a lot of veggie action for only about 7 grams of carbs), for my afternoon mini-meal I had half of the rainbow trout I baked last night with lemon juice and garlic and sage, and now for a late supper a great big arugula salad with half an avocado and a dressing of olive oil, lemon juice, and dijon mustard. A good day for me.
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 09:11 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Nigel for starting this thread. I like to read Mark Bittman in the New York Times, who encourages people to be part-time vegans or what he calls "Flexitarian" -- I think somebody else also wrote a book by that name. It's a pretty good approach for people who are flexible by nature and trying to go low-carb, high-quality, and meat-light.

I'm really looking forward to working more vegetables and nuts back into my diet starting next week.

Martha
Old 08-01-2013, 01:37 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'll go see if I can read any of Mark Bittman's online. Thanks for the tip.
Old 08-01-2013, 01:40 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

No one really was interested in my thread in the recipe help and suggestion forum. My friend Rose answered, but ya know, she's my friend. No one else did. *sigh* I tried.
Old 08-01-2013, 02:16 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
No one really was interested in my thread in the recipe help and suggestion forum. My friend Rose answered, but ya know, she's my friend. No one else did. *sigh* I tried.
Hey, we do what we can. We are sort of holding a minority position.
Old 08-02-2013, 10:18 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Very true.
Old 08-02-2013, 07:04 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
You two may be the only ones posting, but I'm lurking. Just looking for ideals.

Anna
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:09 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
BTW I'm glad you started this thread. I have tried to do LC, tried to be veg, but I'm missing something. I like a little bacon once in awhile, and a little chicken broth, once in a awhile......

I had a LC bar for breakfast, peanut butter on a corn cake for lunch, and an egg plus a salad for dinner.

It's to hot to cook.

Anna
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Hi, Anna. I have been experimenting with smoothies lately. Right now I'm going through a radical no-sweet-stuff program because I'm trying to reset my sweet tooth at a lower threshold. So no artificial sweeteners, and I'm trying to figure out how to give my smoothies some flavor! So today I had one with almond milk, whole milk greek yogurt, cinnamon, vanilla, a few blackberries, chia seeds (which I should have milled first), and coconut oil. I added a little bit of salt, which I think helped. This was the best of the three I've fiddled around with this week. The way I made it, it came out at 288 calories and 8 net carbs, which was a little higher than intended, but it was good and I still stayed under 20 for the day. I had an egg later and then a nice avocado/chicken salad with lemon juice and olive oil and arugula. I have some fish left over for later. And I took my last tub of kale/mushroom/white bean soup (on a chicken base) with Indian seasoning out of the freezer to get me through to Wednesday, when I begin a week of traveling. I'm nervous about the traveling. I haven't gone seriously off-program in almost six months, and I really want to hit August 25 in high gear. So I will have to pack some food and just ask the people I'm visiting to just let me be "different" this week.
Old 08-19-2013, 02:46 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

This is one of those threads I keep coming back to, even though we don't have a lot of takers. I still have the "low carb mediterranean" pattern as my ideal, and it just so happens a thing hit the news in London a couple days ago combining those same two ideas.

My big focus right now -- as a way to have a high-fat, adequate-protein diet full of all the goodness of vegetables -- is great big salads and homemade chicken soup stuffed with celery, carrot, onion, mushroom, greens, and herbs. Sometimes I add a quarter cup of yogurt.

I'll also report that I have decided that if I wake up in the middle of the night hungry, and I'm pretty sure it's a legitimate hungry and not the result of some starch or sweet, then the most sensible thing to do is EAT. Not stupidly, but something small and smart, because otherwise it's toss and turn and be off your game the whole next day. Rule one: don't be dumb, Martha.

I'm also slicing my way through a head of red cabbage right now, giving some satisfying crunch to the salads. Thinking of grating some beets and carrots into a vinaigrette and putting a little of that on top once in a while. But that takes a bite out of the day's carb budget.

Wondering what other veggie-oriented people do with themselves here in the land of pork rinds and Splenda...

Last edited by martha; 08-19-2013 at 02:49 PM.. Reason: typo
Old 09-08-2013, 05:29 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Tonight I'm making faux meatloaf with Yves ground regular.

I used this for tacos the other day and they were great.

I will probably have some broccoli with cheese sauce and green beans.
Dessert is s/f cherry jello with a little fruit mixed in.
Old 09-08-2013, 06:39 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Hey, Nigel, good to see you. I have no idea what Yves ground regular is. I went crazy at the farmer's market today because everything just looked so good -- tomatoes, green onions (that are actually kind of purple), baby squash, arugula, a purple head lettuce, tiny baby green beans... So now I need to get in there and make myself a monster salad. Though I will also say that I bought a small chicken and the first pork sausage that I have had in years and years. And years. I think I am going to make some kind of stew out of it with tomatoes and peppers.

I am a little ways into my almost-maintenance routine now, so I am allowing myself as much as 40 net carbs, though not every day. I'm trying to include, at that number, a small serving of oat porridge (with coconut butter and almond butter, vanilla and cinnamon, yummy), a bowl of very-vegetable-full stew, and a big salad. And a small serving of fruit. Anything less feels like just not enough "greenery" for me.
Old 09-09-2013, 11:38 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Your menu sounds good to me. I love big salads and often just have one for dinner, nothing else. I'd love to have a farmer's market around here--those places are usually great.
Lately, I've been trying to add in more protein. I'm thinking it might help me have more energy.

Good to see you too. This place is very quiet lately.

Last edited by Nigel; 09-09-2013 at 11:40 AM..