Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2013, 11:41 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/212/??? 5/10" The real age 49
WOE: 2014 Nutritional Ketosis Experiment Begins
Start Date: LC'05,'10Paleo,'13 S.Guyenet+S.Roberts'14C.Kresser
Nutritional Yeast "Cheese"

I just spotted a recipe I want to make.

Have you all tried making cheese from nutritional yeast? I spotted this on the side of a kale chips bag as the "cheese." Wow, it was good.

I just found a recipe on fat free vegan - it looks good and involves cauliflower. If I have cauliflower in the freezer, I am making this tonight!

Cheesy Cauliflower Sauce

Drizzle over steamed vegetables, pizza, baked or mashed potatoes, grits, or polenta. Mix it into cooked pasta for a lighter Macaroni and Cheese. Or make it into a spicy dip for chips. Use it wherever you’d use butter or cheese sauce–the possibilities are endless!

Ingredients
2 cups water
2 heaping cups small cauliflower florets
1 teaspoon granulated onion powder
2 cloves garlic, peeled, or 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
1/4 teaspoon smoked paprika
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard
1/8 teaspoon turmeric
1/4 cup nutritional yeast
1 tablespoon mellow white miso or soy-free chickpea miso or a little salt
1 tablespoon cornstarch or potato starch
1/2 tablespoon lemon juice
salt to taste

Instructions
1.Bring the water to a boil in a medium saucepan. Add the cauliflower, water, onion powder, garlic, paprika, mustard, and turmeric. Cover tightly and reduce the heat to very low. Simmer until the cauliflower is so tender that it easily comes apart when poked with a fork, about 15-20 minutes.
2.Carefully transfer the contents of the saucepan to a blender. Add all remaining ingredients. Cover and blend, starting on low and increasing the speed until you’re at the highest setting. (Be careful–hot foods can “erupt.”) Blend until you have a completely smooth sauce.
3.Pour the sauce back into the saucepan, add salt to taste if you like, and heat until it begins to bubble, stirring occasionally. Allow it to cook and thicken for at least another 2 minutes. Serve hot.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-03-2013, 08:09 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

OK, I tried it - it tastes like...tumeric, onion powder, and garlic powder. I misread and put in way too much salt.

I've read that the magic in nutritional yeast "cheese" is the red pepper, soy sauce, and cashews or sesame seeds. I'll skip the nuts and seeds. I'll try this again with 1/2 the onion and garlic powder, replace the tumeric with powdered red pepper, and replace the salt (miso) with soy sauce.
Old 06-03-2013, 10:04 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: ouizoid
Stats: 225/165/145
WOE: JUDDD
I made this yesterday! I love it, but my expectations are well managed. I think the key is to not use too much water. The longer it sits, the more cheesy it gets. Tonight I had a big bowl of veggies with this sauce plus two tablespoons of salsa con queso. Yummy.
ouizoid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2013, 10:19 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Oh, what a coincidence!

I just made another batch - the soy sauce puts the color off. I like it spicy. I hope it improves overnight! I'm going to add it to brown rice for lunch tomorrow.

I have eyed the salsa con queso sauce - I saw the brand you were referring to. I don' tthink I have the will power, so I walked away. I have been known to eat a whole jar in my former life, and I don't think I've changed much really...

Good to see you Ouizoid!
Old 07-26-2013, 05:40 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
I make a version of this -- a cheese sauce, like a rarebit, sort of -- out of nutritional yeast, olive oil, a tiny bit of flour or cornstarch for thickening, dry mustard, balsamic vinegar, and red pepper flakes (or powder). Plus water. If you want to make a version that will keep a little longer, you might try that. (I'm seeing the cauliflower as being something that would prevent you from making a big batch and keeping it in the refrigerator for a couple weeks.)

Martha
martha is offline   Reply With Quote