Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vegetarian (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/)
-   -   Does Anyone Here Eat Beans? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/805006-does-anyone-here-eat-beans.html)

Nigel 05-29-2013 11:10 AM

Does Anyone Here Eat Beans?

Does Anyone Here Eat Beans?

If so, what kind and how much and how often?....excluding green beans and wax beans.. TIA

LinCO 05-29-2013 06:14 PM

Nigel-I South Beached for a long time, really helped me but I know I need a detox, so I'm doing a 21 day cleanse by Kris Carr - it's vegan and low glycemic. So yes, now I am eating beans. On SB I would have maybe 1/3c. in my chili, here in vegetarian chili I'm having about 3/4 c.

ouizoid 05-29-2013 09:37 PM

I do Nigel. I'm doing a fuhrman style plan.

Nigel 05-31-2013 04:25 AM

Thanks ya'll. I've started eating pinto beans a couple of times per week. They seem to fill me up pretty good.

I am going to start experimenting with other types of beans...I've never been much of a bean eater except for green beans and occasionally pinto beans, but I read that eating beans helps to keep your blood sugar more leveled out, so I figure it's worth a bigger effort on my part.

I'm off to search recipes for bean "burgers" . :)

ouizoid 05-31-2013 07:05 AM

nigel--netrition carries a black bean pasta that I really like. you might enjoy it. very very filling

Nigel 06-01-2013 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ouizoid (Post 16448377)
nigel--netrition carries a black bean pasta that I really like. you might enjoy it. very very filling

Thank you for that info. I had no idea and it does sound good to me.
I need to place another Netrition order soon, so I'll order some of that pasta too. Way cool, bean pasta...:jumpjoy:

Heidinem 06-02-2013 04:15 AM

I do Nigel, & I prefer the kidney beans. Very high in fiber, so not as many carbs as some of the other kind.

Key Tones 06-02-2013 11:02 AM

I like garbanzo beans. I make my own hummus sometimes, without the oil and lighter on the sesame seeds.

I just found out you can make a "bread" (I wonder if more like tortilla?) with garbanzo flour I will have to try this. I would like to wrap vegetables in something.

Nigel 06-03-2013 06:01 AM

Thanks ya'll.

If the garbanzo bean wrap/bread works out, please let us know here, ok.

ouizoid 06-03-2013 07:00 AM

you might also try Lupin flour made from lupin beans. netrition sells it and it a wonderful flour to use in baked goods. there is a nice thread here on lcf with recipes.

Madge17 07-22-2013 02:07 PM

Nigel, I ate beans while on LC - mostly Edamame, Black Soy Beans and 365 Brands Vegetarian Baked Beans. :)

Nigel 07-23-2013 12:41 PM

Thanks madge. Good to see you here.

ouizoid, I have been following that thread. I think I will try the lupin flour. Thank you.

martha 07-26-2013 05:33 PM

I have always loved beans, partly because they are cheap and handy. I like to make bean patties with veggies in the food processor, bean spreads, lentil soup, spicy dal, and on and on. Since I'm at the VLC end of the low-carb plan right this minute (and for another few weeks, probably) I have limited the beans to a half cup (dry) navy beans added to a huge pot of mushroom and kale soup. It just seemed so sad to have kale with no white beans! If you count tofu as beans, then I'm eating that now, and I also keep those dried toasted soy nuts around in case I need to pack emergency rations for a trip somewhere. Once I reach maintenance I plan to include as much in the way of beans as my body can handle, along with a modest amount of unprocessed grains, because I don't want to spend my life taking supplements for that problem that beans solve so nicely.

Nice topic.
Martha

Nigel 07-27-2013 04:36 PM

Thanks for joining us martha and for your input. Nice to see new people here.

Food Lady 07-01-2014 11:40 AM

I haven't been eating them much since I started cutting carbs, but I think I can get away with it. I realize I can get away with up to 50 carbs in a meal, so I can start eating them again. I like kidneys, garbanzos, black beans, and Great Northerns the best. I will use lentils, too. I always liked black-eyed peas when I was a child, but for some reason I never think to buy them now. I should; I'm half southerner!

Nigel 07-02-2014 10:44 AM

I like to make bean chili and cook up pinto beans with onions and a can of tomatoes with green chilies and some cumin and chili powder. Sometimes I just make them plain.

I will turn them into refried beans to eat with my breakfast or a low carb burrito or a quesadilla.

I am venturing out to try other types of beans here and there. I think I have 9 dried varieties in my cupboard to teat out.

Heidinem 07-03-2014 03:27 AM

I love beans but eat them moderately now. I still make a huge pot of lentil soup every winter. Low carb has worked so well for me that I am afraid of rocking the boat.