Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-13-2013, 12:21 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FitKat
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3-4-10
Best LC Cauliflower or Brussel Sprouts Recipes?

Hi! I just bought some cauli & brussel sprouts at the store. Was eager to try something new if anyone has suggestions for their favorites.

Thanks!!
Kat
FitKat is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-13-2013, 03:44 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Wigglesmom
Stats: 240~240~165
Start Date: 10/6/2014
I love this soup.

Roasted Cauliflower and Cheddar Cheese Soup
5 servings

1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
2 tablespoons oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
3 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups aged white cheddar, shredded
1 cup milk or cream
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Toss the cauliflower florets in the oil along with the salt and pepper and arrange them in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Roast the cauliflower in a preheated 400F oven until lightly golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.

Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minute.

Add the broth and cauliflower, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.

Puree the soup until it reaches your desired consistency with a stick blender.
Mix in the cheese, let it melt and season with salt and pepper.

Mix in the milk and remove from heat.

Nutritional Info
Per Serving:

Calories 287
Carbs 14
Fat 21
Protein 13
Fiber 4
Sugar 6
Old 01-13-2013, 03:48 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I like to cut brussels sprouts in half and then toss them in olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast them in the oven.

I love the cauliflower cheese soup too.

A lot of people make faux rice and faux mashed potatoes with cauliflower. The recipe suggestions and help forum has a lot of info over there for using cauliflower. There even used to be a pizza crust recipe using cauliflower. I never made it but lots of people said it was good.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2013, 06:04 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Hi, wigglesmom! Thank you!!! This soup does sound fantastic and it's something that I could take with me to work. The winter makes me crave soup!

Nigel, thanks so much for the brussel sprouts recipe! I have never eaten them before. My mom never even "made" me eat them as a kid. Guess my dad must not have liked them. What Dad didn't like, we would never eat... I have also heard of the cauliflower pizza crust but have never made it. Maybe someone else here will chime in on that. I do need to find a way to incorporate a lot of veggies all at once and pizza would be a great way to do that.

I appreciate the input!
Kat
Old 01-13-2013, 09:09 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

In my opinion, fresh brussels sprouts are the way to go.

The frozen ones are pretty tasteless to me.
Old 01-14-2013, 06:57 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/119/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
I like shredded brussel sprouts. I just cut each one several times on the diagonal and that shreds them nicely. Then I saute them in EVOO with garlic. I finsh with balsamic vinegar.

I hope this is correct. I'm going from memory and I haven't made this in a while.

Welcome!
MargD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-14-2013, 07:50 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Nigel, thanks for the fresh v. frozen tip. I bought fresh (whew) but saw some frozen later at a different store and thought hmmmmm.... Sometimes there is just no comparison.

MargD, thanks for the warm welcome! I like your idea of shredding them. Do they taste anything like shredded cabbage sautéed in EVOO? That is one of my staples. I'm imagining all sorts of different flavorings to put in with the shredded brussel sprouts. I think your combo with garlic sounds fantastic!

I really appreciate you both helping me to widen my menu. Hopefully this will be a continual process. I'm bad about finding something I like then eating that until I can just about no longer stand it.

Hope you all have a wonderful day!!!
Kat
Old 01-14-2013, 12:32 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah, I eat a lot of the same stuff all the time too.
I get stuck on what to eat and just go for what I don't mind.

I like to try out new recipes but sometimes I run out of time. Most of the time, I just add stuff until it tastes right.

I eat lots of salads and change up the salad dressings and I make all of them cuz I'm allergic to garlic and most commercial products have garlic in them (for some reason--maybe its a preservative also).
Old 01-21-2013, 10:40 AM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/119/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by FitKat View Post

MargD, thanks for the warm welcome! I like your idea of shredding them. Do they taste anything like shredded cabbage sautéed in EVOO? That is one of my staples. I'm imagining all sorts of different flavorings to put in with the shredded brussel sprouts. I think your combo with garlic sounds fantastic!

Kat
Darn! I meant the check the recipe this weekend and I forgot. I'm at work now, so I cannot. I think your comparison with shredded cabbage is a good one, though.
MargD is online now   Reply With Quote