Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vegetarian (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/)
-   -   Best LC Cauliflower or Brussel Sprouts Recipes? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/794370-best-lc-cauliflower-brussel-sprouts-recipes.html)

FitKat 01-13-2013 11:21 AM

Best LC Cauliflower or Brussel Sprouts Recipes?

Hi! I just bought some cauli & brussel sprouts at the store. Was eager to try something new if anyone has suggestions for their favorites.

Thanks!!
Kat

Wigglesmom 01-13-2013 02:44 PM

I love this soup.

Roasted Cauliflower and Cheddar Cheese Soup
5 servings

1 small head cauliflower, cut into florets
2 tablespoons oil
salt and pepper to taste
1 tablespoon oil
1 medium onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 teaspoon thyme, chopped
3 cups vegetable broth
1 1/2 cups aged white cheddar, shredded
1 cup milk or cream
salt and pepper to taste

Directions
Toss the cauliflower florets in the oil along with the salt and pepper and arrange them in a single layer on a large baking sheet. Roast the cauliflower in a preheated 400F oven until lightly golden brown, about 20-30 minutes.

Heat the oil in a large sauce pan over medium heat. Add the onion and saute until tender, about 5-7 minutes. Add the garlic and thyme and saute until fragrant, about a minute.

Add the broth and cauliflower, bring to a boil, reduce the heat and simmer, covered, for 20 minutes.

Puree the soup until it reaches your desired consistency with a stick blender.
Mix in the cheese, let it melt and season with salt and pepper.

Mix in the milk and remove from heat.

Nutritional Info
Per Serving:

Calories 287
Carbs 14
Fat 21
Protein 13
Fiber 4
Sugar 6

Nigel 01-13-2013 02:48 PM

I like to cut brussels sprouts in half and then toss them in olive oil, salt, and pepper and roast them in the oven.

I love the cauliflower cheese soup too.

A lot of people make faux rice and faux mashed potatoes with cauliflower. The recipe suggestions and help forum has a lot of info over there for using cauliflower. There even used to be a pizza crust recipe using cauliflower. I never made it but lots of people said it was good.

FitKat 01-13-2013 05:04 PM

Hi, wigglesmom! Thank you!!! This soup does sound fantastic and it's something that I could take with me to work. The winter makes me crave soup!

Nigel, thanks so much for the brussel sprouts recipe! I have never eaten them before. My mom never even "made" me eat them as a kid. Guess my dad must not have liked them. What Dad didn't like, we would never eat... :) I have also heard of the cauliflower pizza crust but have never made it. Maybe someone else here will chime in on that. I do need to find a way to incorporate a lot of veggies all at once and pizza would be a great way to do that.

I appreciate the input!
Kat

Nigel 01-13-2013 08:09 PM

In my opinion, fresh brussels sprouts are the way to go.

The frozen ones are pretty tasteless to me.

MargD 01-14-2013 05:57 AM

I like shredded brussel sprouts. I just cut each one several times on the diagonal and that shreds them nicely. Then I saute them in EVOO with garlic. I finsh with balsamic vinegar.

I hope this is correct. I'm going from memory and I haven't made this in a while.

Welcome!

FitKat 01-14-2013 06:50 AM

Nigel, thanks for the fresh v. frozen tip. I bought fresh (whew) but saw some frozen later at a different store and thought hmmmmm.... Sometimes there is just no comparison.

MargD, thanks for the warm welcome! I like your idea of shredding them. Do they taste anything like shredded cabbage sautéed in EVOO? That is one of my staples. I'm imagining all sorts of different flavorings to put in with the shredded brussel sprouts. I think your combo with garlic sounds fantastic!

I really appreciate you both helping me to widen my menu. Hopefully this will be a continual process. I'm bad about finding something I like then eating that until I can just about no longer stand it. :laugh:

Hope you all have a wonderful day!!!
Kat

Nigel 01-14-2013 11:32 AM

Yeah, I eat a lot of the same stuff all the time too.
I get stuck on what to eat and just go for what I don't mind.

I like to try out new recipes but sometimes I run out of time. Most of the time, I just add stuff until it tastes right.

I eat lots of salads and change up the salad dressings and I make all of them cuz I'm allergic to garlic and most commercial products have garlic in them (for some reason--maybe its a preservative also).

MargD 01-21-2013 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FitKat (Post 16194126)

MargD, thanks for the warm welcome! I like your idea of shredding them. Do they taste anything like shredded cabbage sautéed in EVOO? That is one of my staples. I'm imagining all sorts of different flavorings to put in with the shredded brussel sprouts. I think your combo with garlic sounds fantastic!

Kat

Darn! I meant the check the recipe this weekend and I forgot. I'm at work now, so I cannot. I think your comparison with shredded cabbage is a good one, though.