Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vegetarian (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/)
-   -   Help! (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/790410-help.html)

scarletfire 11-30-2012 06:39 PM

Help!

Newbie here looking for advice from people who have had success on LC veg diet. I am 5'7" and about 142 pounds so healthy BMI, BUT, I have been trying unsuccessfully to lose weight on a variety of diets for over a year (calorie counting, CLEAN program etc.) After seeing my brother have success (he is a carnivore for sure) on LC I thought I'd give it a try. I got a few books from the library (New Atkins and Eades 30 day) and did some research. For two weeks I ate under 50 net grams of carbs a day and did not lose any weight. I cheated over Thanksgiving because I was traveling and with family.

This week I got back on the LC train, except I have stuck to under 30 g. net carbs a day, and I've been pretty vigilant with no sugar whatsoever. It has been 6 days. I have had a bit of peanut butter but no fruits/beans. Typical protein shake for breakfast, salad for lunch, almonds/cheese for snack and meat sub+ veggies for dinner. I feel pretty exhausted. I like to rock climb and exercise a few times a week, and have not had the energy to do much. But, the worst thing is I haven't lost any weight. I am wondering if it is just impossible for me to lose 10 or even 5 pounds (seems like this diet works well for those with more weight to lose).
Here are my questions:
1) how long should it take to see results following this plan?
2) would it be okay to eat some carbs before vigorous exercise so I can make it through?
3) I work at 7 am teaching preschoolers, so caffeine is virtually impossible to give up. Okay or no?
4) as an athlete should I stick with this or try something else?
Any other advice? Thanks so much for your insight!

Librarygirl 11-30-2012 06:46 PM

I'm no expert, but at 5'7 and 142 lbs and an athelete, I would think you are probably at the right weight. If you are unhappy with "problem" areas, I would suggest weight lifting. I would also assume you probably already knew that. ;)

scarletfire 11-30-2012 09:22 PM

I guess I should clarify- I am not only concerned about losing weight, just fitting into clothes and generally feeling good. Also, from tracking food and doing some research, I thought I may have had an insulin sensitivity and figured I would give LC a try because it seemed like a healthy option. (I'm kind of all over the place I guess!) I would just like to see if people have had positive experiences with vegetarian LC and have been able to lose a small amount of weight starting from somewhere similar to where I am. I am not enough of an athlete to stay super fit without some discipline in my diet :-) Just needing some motivation to keep going!

Nigel 12-01-2012 06:21 AM

If you are exhausted, my guess would be that you might not be getting enough protein.

If you eat beans, they are a great source since there are so many varieties to choose from and they help make fuel for your body when exercising.

Madge17 12-02-2012 04:05 PM

Welcome Scarletfire :welcome:
I'm not knowledgeable enough with the LC program to give you specific advice, but I can say that I have lost approx. 20 lbs. since starting the LC vegetarian diet.

While many folks seem to loose 20 lbs in their first few weeks of LC, it has taken me 8 months to loose this weight - and I still have a way to go. It has been a *very* slow weightloss, but that's not necessarily a bad thing - I'm hoping "slow and steady" wins the race and I won't be yo-yo ing. I also never had that initial fluid loss most people experience in the beginning either. Since I don't exercise, I really didn't expect to loose it quickly...well, quicker than 8 months maybe, BUT 20 lbs is the most weight I've lost and kept off over an 8-month period in years, so I am still psyched about it!:up:

The closer you are to your optimum weight, the harder it may be to loose, so I wouldn't get too frustrated. :console: Hang in there and give it some time, everyone's body is different.

Like Nigel, I also think that eating beans for both their net carbs and protein would be good for you before a vigorous workout. Good luck and keep posting! :)

Librarygirl 12-02-2012 05:10 PM

I can't imagine at your height needing to lose weight. I guess that's why I said you should consider weight-training, if you're unhappy with problem areas. I don't think reducing your weight below what it is, at your height, would be healthy. :) JMHO