Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-22-2012, 12:05 AM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Flowergirl51
suggestions?

I used to be paleo low carb but stopped losing weight and also had bp spikes and high cholesterol. In Feb I started Fuhrman's Eat to Live. Initially lost 16 pounds, put it back on again and then some. My bp is great doing this but I am bloated and uncomfortable digestively (beans beans beans and a large amount of veggies) I've used beano and also probiotics which helped somewhat but my weight is still stuck. I'd rather eat veg than carnivore but my body isn't happy right now. Starting to have some sardines, tuna, etc...for protein instead of just beans. Anyone else here using fish w/their otherwise vegan diet? No dairy or eggs..... I also use sprouted raw protein powder in smoothies every day...including a frozen banana and berries and a shot of oj with kale. Thinking the bananas may be causing a weight stall...I'd appreciate input from you experienced low carb vegans. Thanks,
T
Flowergirl51 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-22-2012, 04:33 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sissiesue
Stats: 173/129/129
Start Date: September 27, 2010
Well, I can't say that I'm an experienced low-carbing vegan (I've been vegan for a while, but only doing a low-carb version for a few weeks), but . . .

. . . this is what works for me: tofu + veggies OR seitan + veggies OR TVP-type things (ex., Trader Joe's Meatless Meatballs) + veggies. I saute almost everything in coconut oil (which Furhman probably wouldn't approve of; that's a low-fat diet, isn't it?), and I don't eat many raw veggies (although I don't over-cook them, either -- more like "stir fry" consistency).

I supplement my protein/veggie meals with snacks of nuts (mainly walnuts and almonds), seeds (raw pumpkin seeds; chia seeds), and unsweetened soy milk (fortified).

This low-carb vegan diet definitely affects me differently in the digestive sense than did my higher-carb vegan diet.

Good luck!! I hope you find something that works for you!!

Last edited by Sissiesue; 09-22-2012 at 04:43 PM.. Reason: Added a bit more info
Sissiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2012, 06:44 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Flowergirl51
thanks for the reply

Yes Fuhrman is low fat. The only fat you'd get eating his way is the 1 oz of nuts a day. I don't think this is healthy so I've used coconut oil and pastured organic butter.

I used to eat soy but have been researching its effect on the body. The thing that got me off of soy was the Japanese study w/8,000 men who ate soy 2 times a week. I ate it almost every day in the form of tofu or milk or edamame. Suprisingly, they developed memory problems...not sure if it was classified as dementia but I've read about this study in several places now, including a book on nutition called "Eat and Heal" Wondering if soy in the form of soysauce or tamari would do the same.

I'm thinking my gall bladder may be effected by what I've been eating unless its just plain bloating and some minor pain from the amounts of kale and beans and onions. A mixed bag online about vegan vs meat eating where the gall bladder is concerned. Several posts from vegans who suffered gall stones and had to have their gall bladders removed (important to include fat if going vegan to keep the bile flowing) who now eat meat as they said it was the lack of fat in their diet that caused the stones.... and then posts that said it is unusual for vegans to have gall bladder distress...one says you set yourself up for it by eating vegan the other says just the opposite so

Anyway my gut is not happy at the moment and I'm hoping I find an answer to what works best for me. T
Flowergirl51 is offline   Reply With Quote