Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2012, 04:38 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vjsibley
WOE: dont have a clue, in research mode.
calling all vegans, i need help with black bean burger

Hi everyone, I'm in need of a tried and tested vegan black bean burger recipe that has no onion or garlic in it. I would like to treat my friend to lunch but he is a Buddhist monk and cannot have any animal products along with no onion or onion like veg or garlic, gasp I know. I have no access to chia or flaxseed. Any ideas? Thanks in advance.
vjsibley is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #2

Gallery: ravenrose
Stats: lost 130 lb so far, and miles to go before I sleep
WOE: low carb controlled calorie
Start Date: June, 2009
I hope someone gives you just what you want soon! For me, if I were faced with that question, I would make something besides burgers. There are so many wonderful recipes that don't require your beans to adhere in a little pancake like that and would be easier and more foolproof. good luck whatever you decide to do!
ravenrose is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:08 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Maybe add some vegan cream cheese or vegan sour cream to the mix? That's about all I can think of.

Can you post your recipe here? Maybe that will spark some ideas.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2012, 09:16 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vjsibley
WOE: dont have a clue, in research mode.
I know right, good news its not for lunch today. He doesn't even know I'm going to do this...Shhh it a surprise ,lol. He always treats me and my tribe to some wonderful vietnamese lunches after temple service on Sundays. So I thought you know I should treat him with some great American food, and I thought the burger. I mean how American is the burger. Now I make my bean burgers no problem, I'm only vegan one week out of the month. And I do eat garlic and onions, they are my fav perfume, lol. I'm giving up on converting my recipe,can't stand wasting food. I'm pretty new to the world of being a vegetarian , and I'm not quite there yet, still hooked on poultry so any suggestions would be greatly appreciated !
vjsibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2012, 07:52 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Well, I eat a lot of pre-fab vegetarian foods.

I like MorningStarFarms Black bean burger and boca burgers.
I eat MorningStarFarms buffalo wings...I put hot sauce on them and heat them up cause they are heat and eat type. Even my wife likes them.

Some poultry substitutes are not that great, so beware if you go to try any of them.

Of course I doctor up my boca burgers a lot.

I make cilantro butter and cook them in it, in a frying pan, and get it crispy on both sides and then add the cheese and let it melt. It makes all the difference in the world if the burger is crispy or not.

For other meals, I eat pinto beans that I cook and black eyed peas from a can cause I can't seem to get them to taste right when I cook them.

I use boca crumbles for taco meat and just heat them up and add taco seasoning to them while heating.

I make meatloaf from boca crumbles. I have tried lots of vegetarian meatloaves, but not to my liking.

And I eat a lot of various vegetables.

Lately, I haven't been experimenting. I like to try new stuff mostly in the winter.

Good luck with your eating plan.

Last edited by Nigel; 09-18-2012 at 07:54 AM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2012, 03:49 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/123/119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
What about a black bean burger made with black soy beans?
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote