Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-23-2012, 08:27 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: LeeLee83
Stats: 142/133/120
WOE: Atkins
Start Date: August 2012
Veggie induction and exercise

Hi everyone,
I'm new to the forum so thought I'd introduce myself! I've actually been searching through and reading the forum for a while now and it's been very helpful and encouraging so I thought I'd join . I do have some questions too.

1. Did you start on 20g carb per day on veggie induction? I'm trying to stick to this for now but have been feeling quite tired/weak (on day 10 of induction)
* Sample menu:
Breakfast: 2 scrambled eggs plus half avocado
Lunch: 2 boiled eggs with mayo (tbsp), lettuce, peppers and cucumber
Dinner: 2 veggie sausages with sauteed pepper, courgette and pak choi
Snack: Tbsp cream cheese with pepper
I have been basing meals on the atkins foods allowed for phase 1 but I'm thinking of switching to Rose Elliot's plan next week (more food choices!) and I'm not sure whether to stick to 20 carbs or increase it.

2. Did you find that your fitness was affected on induction/low carbing?
I've been exercising every other day. Before beginning I was doing the couch to 5k plan and had reached 4k but since I only manage a very slow ~2.4k every time I go out. My friend (who recently completed her sports science degree) argues that low carb is inefficient for running since fat is burned up more quickly than carbs and that you have less energy stores on a low carb diet.

Sorry for the essay, I'm struggling a little to adapt!
All the best,
Leanne
LeeLee83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-23-2012, 09:35 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/126/119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
Hi Leanne,

Welcome!

I hope someone who has done a vegetarian induction comes along. I did not. I started in the Ongoing Weight Loss phase of Atkins.

I have seen several threads about Atkins and running or other cardiovascular exercise. Your concerns about induction and cardio might be addressed in one of those threads.

I will say, that I work out with a personal trainer twice a week and do another heavy weight workout on my own. In between, I cycle 10-20 miles once or twice a week. I have had zero problems and have never felt the need to add additional carbs to my diet.

I eat around 30 carbs per day, sometimes as many as 50, but that is not the norm.

Maybe one of these threads would help?

Registered for my first marathon today...

Half Marathon Training
MargD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:38 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madge17
WOE: MeatlessLowCarb/LowSodium
Start Date: April 2012
Hi Leanne to the group!
Madge17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 05:27 PM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 10:23 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Tofulover
Stats: 220/177/165 (at 6')
WOE: Vegetarian/Atkins
Start Date: March 2012
I did vegetarian induction with Rose Elliot's plan, staying just under 20 carbs a day. I was very tired in the beginning. I guess it was a mixture of my body adjusting to ketosis and caffeine withdrawal -- I was heavily addicted to diet coke and coffee before starting LC, but quit cold turkey since both Atkins and Elliot advise against caffeine and aspartame. The tiredness didn't last long, though, after two weeks I felt great, exercising just like before.

Now, 6 months later, I'm still under 20 carbs (sadly, that seems to be my carb limit), and I feel like I can do this for the rest of my life. And I can run way longer than half a year ago.
Tofulover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-28-2012, 03:27 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sissiesue
Stats: 173/129/129
Start Date: September 27, 2010
Hi, Leanne,

I'm a strict vegetarian (no dairy or eggs), so I started in the Ongoing Weightloss phase. I keep my net carbs between 20 - 50/day. Most days, the total carbs are around 40.

I did notice a bit of sluggishness re: exercise when I first started. But this resolved itself within two weeks. I think my body had to get used to getting glycogen from fat stores rather than carbs.

Good luck, and welcome!
Sissiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2012, 12:19 PM   #7
Blabbermouth!!!

Gallery: MaryMary
Stats: Then 376 / Now 156
WOE: Vegan OA NMW!
Start Date: Jan 2001
I eat approx 70 net carbs with 30-35 grams fiber a day. I do have the occasional vegetarian day. Breakfast and supper are always vegetarian. I tried having cheese at lunch but my stomach wouldn't tolerate it. Bad pains. So now I eat fish, chicken or other meat at lunch only. But I eat lots of veggies at lunch and supper, and a fruit with my breakfast protein. My plan is about 50% fat, 30% protein, 20% carb out of 1300 calories a day. I do go higher if I have meat but when I stick to vegetarian it is abour 1200-1300 kcal a day.

I just started walking this summer and in Nov I joined a gym. Today I went to my first yoga class. I have been walking 10,000+ steps a day since Nov 11th. I seem to have more energy.

MaryMary is offline   Reply With Quote