Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-13-2012, 05:55 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Daily doses of whatever ya wanna talk about:

Daily doses of whatever ya wanna talk about:

Just for grins...discuss your WOE, vegetarianism, recipes, products, or just your day....I thought it might be fun...

Today, I'm going shopping...first to the little produce market in Castroville and hopefully they have some good veggies--you never know..

then I'm off to SA to Whole Foods, maybe Sprouts (undecided about that one), Sam's Club, and the .99 cent store and then all the way back home to unload all my goodies.

If ya'll are intersted, I'll post my results later.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2012, 07:19 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/126/119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
I'm interested! I'm working today, but I'm going to try to stop by my local health food store after work, and before my hair appointment. I want to get some more coconut cream. After my appointment, I'm hoping to stop by Trader Joe to get more of the fabulous, organic blueberries I picked up last weekend.

If I don't have time, there's always tomorrow.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2012, 12:49 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imstarryeyed
WOE: lacto ovo pesco vegetarian low carb
Start Date: April 12, 2012
I'm interested too, Nigel! I have been eating low carb for 3 months now (this time around). I find I'm spending MUCH less on groceries. I buy eggs, coffee, cheese, low carb chocolate bars and coconut oil at Trader Joe's and veggies at the local produce stand. The occasional fish I get from TJ's and that's my highest price item. Maybe I'm spending less because I track every bite that goes into my mouth so there is no mindless eating, mindless calories.

Speaking of blueberries I got some at a great price at my local market this morning. I was so excited when I got out my iphone to check the carb count and found I could just scan the label and get all the nutritional data automatically added to my food diary. I've never paid attention to that bar code perk but I'm pretty excited now. Doesn't take much to make me happy I guess!
imstarryeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2012, 05:21 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Nice to see you, imstarryeyed. Waiting to hear if Nigel accomplished everything he set out to do yesterday. I managed to make all of my stops, but I'm starting to wonder if I can have blueberries in the house! I guess the scale will let me know. The season is so short, I'm not going to worry too much about it. I went though this with strawberries about a month ago!

Last edited by MargD; 07-14-2012 at 05:23 AM..
Old 07-14-2012, 05:48 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
Hi Nigel, long time no see. I'm still hanging out here. I'm less vegetarian than I used to be . Most of my protein still comes from dairy & fish but since I have to cook for my mom I use some hamburger meat at least once a week. I stay away from factory farmed as much as possible.

I weigh 2-3 lbs less than last summer due to less coconut oil consumption! I'm still a fan of the stuff but have the bark only 2-4 times per week instead of every day.

Peppers & tomatoes doing well in the garden this year. I find my food bills are lower by about $300 per month during the summer months.

"obesity is a complex problem and it will not be shoehorned into simplistic hypotheses"
Stephan Guyenet
Heidinem is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2012, 08:02 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Howdy everyone:

My shopping trip----
first stop, Whole Foods (I love that store)

I found Joseph's Lavash Bread which they don't normally have around here
Two kinds of lower carb tortilla chips (sorry, don't recall the name and I can't find my reciept)
I got brown rice flour tortillas (I'm leaning towards GF stuff when I can)
I got 2 boxes of Quorn Naked cutlets and 2 packages of Quorn Crumbles

I really wanted Sunshine burgers and they were out of the original, so I got one box of the garden type--hopefully they are good, but I don't trust new products to me.

I got some brand of soy burgers to try.

I found tofurky peppered and a field roast to try
and some multiseeded bread that I'd never heard of or seen before, but it looked good and low enough in carbs, but not labeled low carb.

Then the salad bar--it was just too tempting and expensive at $7.99 per pound, but I got a container and thought I'd gotten about a pound of it, but it was $13.82---owwwwcchh!! That smarted a bit, condiering there is a great steak house buffet with all you can eat and a great salad bar and veggies included for about $12 down the road a piece.
But you know what, I could only eat half of that for lunch and had the other half for dinner, so it wasn't so bad. I tried some new things in that salad...balsmaic vinegar (I have some, but never opened it) and I loved it.
Also, smoked tofu--no flavor to me...good for protein, but no taste at all. That was my first time trying tofu and it's okay, but needed flavor.

I got some couscous salad--yum and some tabouleh (sp), just a little of each, but I liked both of them. The rest was basic salad stuff.

The cashier was so nice and even gave me two small free bags of ice for my frozen foods--now what other store does that? I went there before and they didn't offer me ice then, so yeah, I'll be looking for that cashier next time.

Then I went to the .99 cent store and got my usual supply of canned beets and S/F diet cranberry grape juice. I found some Joseph's lemon cookies, so I nabbed two of those. I have tried all of Joseph's cookies, but the lemon are the tastiest. They are S/F and low carb.

I found some 46oz. Mott's V-8 juice there, so I nabbed two. I usually make my own, but it's nice to have pre-made on hand for those hectic days.

The rest was doggie biscuits and treats and general staples, nothing special. Sometimes they have different stuff, but not this time and the produce wasn't very good either. I can usually pick up a good head or two of cauliflower or broccauliflower and bell peppers, etc...but it didn't happen this time. Sprouts is great for produce though, when I go there.

Then after lunch, off to Sam's. I had to drag my wife away from the big screen TV's...lol...We were food shopping after all.

I found a great deal on fresh blueberries...a huge container for $6. I get about a half or less of that for $6 here.
I also nabbed fresh raspberries and strawberries and frozen strawberries and my big box of boca burgers.
Cottage cheese, butter, sour cream and milk (for wife), sliced cheese, cheese sticks (for me), shredded cheese, and a block of colby and 20lbs of ice.

I like Sam's prices on most things.
$10.96 5lb shredded colby/jack (here I pay $2.14 for an 8oz bag of generic)
$ 4.88 2lb colby cheese
$ 5.87 32 colby/jack cheese sticks
$ 9.68 5lb sliced american (great on bocas & my dog loves this too!!)
$ 9.98 Big box of big boca burgers (usually lasts me 2 months and I use them for ground meat substitute too)
$ 3.98 big container of huge strawberries (howcome the big ones taste so much better? )
$ 3.98 medium container of raspberries (first time I've bought fresh raspberries)
$ 4.98 big containers of cherub tomatoes (taste just like candy to me)
$ 3.98 campari tomatoes (delish!!)

My produce market wasn't open on the way there or on the way back...guess they didn't have any produce to sell...it's run by a famer's teen-age kids and they grow everything they sell there.

I decided not to go to Sprouts cause my legs can only take so much walking in one day...I'll save Sprouts for next time.
I had to take the wife to the thrift store, but I waited in the car...she got a great oak frame - she makes these cool 3-D pictures by hand and then frames them (there is a name for that craft, but I can't remember it) and she even brought me 2 cookbooks.

I'm a cookbook collector, but now I have a "wand" scanner, so I can pick out the few recipes from some cookbooks and compile a new cookbook and get rid of some of my collection...I don't want to buy more bookcases...lol

Saturday, I had to go to town, about 15miles west of where I live and I went to walmart (like I didn't get in enough shopping on Friday--ha!) and they had Joseph's lavash bread in oat and sesame and smaller sized than Whole Foods and 10 carbs - ? fiber for each wrap, so I nabbed one of those too. I'm plenty stocked up on breadstuffs now.

And what is everyone else up to this weekend?

p.s. Thanks everyone for your interest. I appreciate everyone's feedback and input on this forum on all/any of the subjects and recipes.
Old 07-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Heidinem---I'm glad to see you are still here...I was wondering where you were.
I'm glad to hear your garden is doing good. I really didn't have one this year, maybe in the fall.
Fall lasts a long time here and it usually doesn't even freeze until December or January, so I think I have enough time to grow a few things.
Congrats on the weight loss!!
Have a great weekend!!

p.s. I used to live in Columbus, Ga for 2 years when I was 18...small world, eh?

Last edited by Nigel; 07-15-2012 at 08:05 AM..
Old 07-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstarryeyed View Post
I'm interested too, Nigel! I have been eating low carb for 3 months now (this time around). I find I'm spending MUCH less on groceries. I buy eggs, coffee, cheese, low carb chocolate bars and coconut oil at Trader Joe's and veggies at the local produce stand. The occasional fish I get from TJ's and that's my highest price item. Maybe I'm spending less because I track every bite that goes into my mouth so there is no mindless eating, mindless calories.

Speaking of blueberries I got some at a great price at my local market this morning. I was so excited when I got out my iphone to check the carb count and found I could just scan the label and get all the nutritional data automatically added to my food diary. I've never paid attention to that bar code perk but I'm pretty excited now. Doesn't take much to make me happy I guess!
I didn't know about the bar code thing either...good to know.
Good deal on the blueberries too.
It's always great when you can spend less on groceries and still eat good. Around here, it seems that stuff goes up every couple of weeks...that worries me.

Last edited by Nigel; 07-15-2012 at 08:14 AM..
Old 07-15-2012, 08:07 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargD View Post
I'm interested! I'm working today, but I'm going to try to stop by my local health food store after work, and before my hair appointment. I want to get some more coconut cream. After my appointment, I'm hoping to stop by Trader Joe to get more of the fabulous, organic blueberries I picked up last weekend.

If I don't have time, there's always tomorrow.
Did you find any other good stuff at Trader Joe's? I wish we had one here.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:14 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Trader Joe's is one of my fave places to shop and I'm so fortunate to have one just 10 minutes from home.

This visit, I got some diet Hanson's cola. I haven't tried it yet, but others on LCF have mentioned that they like it.
Old 07-15-2012, 05:24 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Our A/C is currently not working and it's 86 degrees in the house (90 outside). A repairman is coming tomorrow afternoon, thank goodness. With any luck we'll just have the one miserable night to get through.

Our predicted high for Monday is 96 and Tuesday is 102 degrees. That's pretty unusual for Michigan. It's probably no big deal in Texas, though!
Old 07-16-2012, 02:59 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Happy Monday folks. Wish I had a Trader Joe's near me, alas its too far. Whole Foods is 24 miles away & I dont make that trip too often either.

We planted 2 raspberry bushes 2 years ago & I get a few berries every day. A bit of heaven. We are fortunate that we are getting rain here in northwest Ga. Just enough to keep the garden going w/o too much watering. Not enough to alleviate the drought. We hit 106 degrees in June & one of our free range chickens died & a wild bee colony we had seems to have dispersed.

I've been low carbing for 2 & 1/2 years . This way of eating has been very kind to me & hubby. So easy to maintain the weight once you get the portions right.
Old 07-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

My goal for this weekend is to make some flax bread from the lowcarb section of the about website. I have seen the bread referenced on this site, also. It's called Focaccia-Style Flax Bread.

I have been craving some bread for a while, but it has been too hot to turn the oven on. It is supposed to be in the mid 80s this weekend, so I think if I make it early in the day, it should be alright.
Old 07-28-2012, 05:12 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Please let us know how the flax bread turns out MargD. Have a great weekend!!
Old 07-29-2012, 04:23 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madge17
WOE: MeatlessLowCarb/LowSodium
Start Date: April 2012
Hi gang
I can't believe I've been away this long. I've been sticking to my LC diet, in fact I lost about 13-14 lbs up until a couple weeks ago. Unfortunately I also became more and more lethargic and finally wound up at the Dr.'s office with dehydration and low BP. Dr. decreased my meds and I've increased my carb intake, but other than that I haven't changed my diet much - just added more veggies, yogurt and some fruit...and water. I have a follow-up lab and BP check this week - hopefully the results will be more within the normal ranges this time. Cutting my diuretics by more than half (and increasing the carbs) caused a 5 lb weight gain the first week. I have to say I am feeling much better now, but I don't like the weight gain one bit!

I'm hoping that after this week I can start cutting back on my carb intake again, it was finally working. I even got to the point where I wasn't hungry all day for the first time in my life!!! I practically had to force myself to get up and eat ... well, it was great while it lasted. lol Now I'm back to being hungry all the time and I don't like this feeling (and fighting with myself not to eat) at all!

I made the mistake of purchasing 2 beautiful-looking mangoes this week (before I checked the carb count) that ripened today and cut into chunks with fresh lime juice. I'm trying to hold myself to one 1/2 cup serving a day - at that rate they will be in the fridge all week.

Sherril's mock root-beer floats or a dish of Greek yoghurt have been getting me through the late nights, when DH is eating his ice cream sundaes. I not only add 1/2 & 1/2 to the root beer, but I've been squirting some whipped cream on the top, if for no other reason than to make it feel "special". Seems to be working.

Yesterday I put together a nice salad-bar type topping of chopped up baby cukes, cherry tomatoes, red onions, kalamata olives, gouda cheese chunks and black soy beans, with seasonings and vinegar and oil. It works great to just spoon on top of my lettuce mix for a quick and easy salad bowl.

How's everyone else?
Madge17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2012, 03:17 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

I would be lost w/o the flax bread. I eat almost every day. I honestly dont think I could do low carb w/o this bread.
Old 07-30-2012, 07:28 AM   #17
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm glad to hear you are feeling better Madge17. And it's good to see you back here too.
Old 08-06-2012, 10:01 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Nigel, I used your advice on packaging the nuts into little snack-size baggies for portion control and it IS helping. Thanks for mentioning this! I usually purchase 8 oz. packages of both individual and mixed nuts and then mix them together in a bowl. I find eating out of a bowl is horrible for me - I can't seem to exercise any control - I just do mindless eating, easily ripping through a cup of nuts. At least with the baggies I'm cognizant of how much I'm actually eating. Sitting in front of the TV watching movies and the Olympics is a real pitfall for snacking for me. I hope I can turn that around with more preparation.

Dr. called to say my Lab results were back within the normal range so now I'm trying to get back to really LC (20 gr per day), but I'm struggling and not doing too well. DH purchased a large wedge of watermelon for me and I don't think that is under the "acceptable" category but probably better than the mango. Whole Foods had organic mangoes on sale for $1.00 each last week, but I passed on them this time and restocked with 5 bags of nuts instead.

I see MargD and Sherril have been struggling a bit too. After "hydrating" back to where I needed to be I gained back exactly 7 lbs. from my last Dr's visit! Dr. said I needed to gain about 4-5 lbs of lost fluid, so she wasn't upset by that weight gain like I was! But the extra fluid also pushed my BP back up into the 170's, so I'm back up to the full dose of one of my BP meds, but still at half of my heart med, and the 2nd diuretic is only 1/2 dose every-other-day, so losing 10 lbs. has had it's benefits. At least I'm not lethargic and dizzy anymore, but I seem to be stalled at this weight and hungry all the time. I'm not sure how to jump start things again - the usual doesn't seem to be working. It felt like I ate about 4000 calories yesterday....Forgive my rambling...
Old 08-06-2012, 11:47 AM   #19
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great that your lab results were in the normal range.
I'm glad that bagging the nuts helps. It sure helps me. I am a pain, but I pre-measure all my snack things.

I get away with eating popcorn and pretzels in small amounts too that way. If I don't bag them in portion sizes, then I overeat them every time.

It also feels like a treat to me when I have a baggie of something...it feels more special or something (mentally).

I don't want to harp on the chia, but it is supposed to help us with our blood pressure and choloestrol. I will probably have to get mine checked this month or next, so I'm trying to get in my chia daily to see if there is any difference. I will let you know after I get tested again.

I copied and will paste this info for you about chia seeds:

7 good reasons to eat chia seeds
  1. Help weight loss. Chia seeds are popular for weight loss. They reduce food cravings by preventing some of the food that you eat from getting absorbed into your system. This blockage of calorie absorption makes them a great diet helper.
  2. Feel fuller faster: They can also help your diet by making you feel full. This is because they absorb 10 times their weight in water, forming a bulky gel.
  3. Hydration for athletes: They are also great for athletes because the "chia gel" can hydrate the body.
  4. Reduce your blood pressure: There's evidence to suggest they can reduce blood pressure.
  5. Omega-3: They are the richest plant source of Omega-3 (the vital fats that protect against inflammation—such as arthritis—and heart disease). In fact, they contain more Omega-3 than salmon!
  6. Benefits for diabetes: Because chia seeds slow down how fast our bodies convert carbohydrates into simple sugars, studies indicate they can control blood sugar. This leads scientists to believe chia seeds may have great benefits for diabetics.
  7. They are easier to digest than flax seeds, and don't need to be ground up.
If you like coconut, I buy the unsweetened coconut flakes (the larger ones) and add them to my little baggies of mixed nuts...it just gives them more flavor. Another treat I make occasionally is to melt some s/f choc chips or s/f chocolate and pour it over the the flakes and they remind me of candy.

Last edited by Nigel; 08-06-2012 at 11:50 AM..
Old 08-06-2012, 01:11 PM   #20
Senior LCF Member

Wow, I never knew chia seeds had all this potential! Thanks

I'm not a coconut fan, the milk is ok in a drink, but I hate the packaged shredded stuff. I have a great old recipe for Tofu-Rice pudding from the '70's, that uses coconut. I tried the shredded stuff in it once, didn't like it and afterwards just used coconut extract for the flavor instead.
Old 08-15-2012, 02:05 PM   #21
Deb
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Deb

my sig says it all
i have been a big meat eater and the last while it has just turned me off

day 4 today and i have had lots of fresh fruit and veg and some fish and prawns the last 4 days.
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2012, 11:53 PM   #22
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good for you. I say that because of all the chemicals, etc. in meat and feed these days. It just started tasting off to me and I got to where I just couldn't stand to eat meat. My wife eats meat everyday and she seems fine with it, but at least she does try my vegetarian meals.
Old 08-18-2012, 05:20 AM   #23
Deb
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Deb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Good for you. I say that because of all the chemicals, etc. in meat and feed these days. It just started tasting off to me .
yes ...this
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2012, 04:49 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

First, to Mel 7! The more the merrier!

Second, I apologize in advance for the long post and I hope you don't mind my posting the entire week's intake - I would appreciate some advice, since I haven't lost anything for the past week or two. I realize my diet is in somewhat of a slump and repetitive - I ran out of some items and haven't had an opportunity to shop, which is a common problem for me. Luckily hubby picked up some salad items yesterday and I have enough for at least one more meal, probably tonight.

8-12-12
B – Protein Powder smoothie, soymilk , 3/4 c. frozen strawberries,splenda, coffee
S - diet 12 oz. rootbeer w/ couple Tabl. cream
L - 2 oz. chunk of cheese
S - SF*jello*and 1/2 c. whipped cream
D - 3 eggs with onions, red peppers, and 1/2 c shredded mixed cheeses in olive oil and margarine, coffee, and SF jello w/ whipped cream
S - rum & diet coke

8-13-12
B - PP smoothie w/ soymilk and 3/4 c. frozen strawberries, splenda, coffee
S - 2 oz. Colby/jack cheese, SF*jello*and 1/2 c. whipped cream
S – 2 oz. Cheese
D – mixed salad, gr.pepper, tomato, 1/2 avocado, mixed olives, feta & gouda cheeses, OO & vinegar
S - SF jello w/ whipped cream

8-14-12
B - 3 eggs, onion & red peppers in OO, coffee
S – 2 Tabl. almond butter
D – mixed salad, gr.pepper, tomato, 1/2 avocado, mixed olives, feta & gouda cheeses, OO & vinegar, coffee 1/2 c sunflower seeds
S – SF jello and whipped cream

8-15-12
S - 2 oz. cheese
S – SF jello, whipped cream
S –1/2 c. peanut butter
L & D - ?? forgot to write it down

8-16-12
S - 2 oz. Cheese
L – PP shake with soymilk, 1/4 c mixed peanut & almond butters, ice cubes
S - SF*jello*and 1/2 c. whipped cream
S – Dbl. Rum & diet coke, raw broc, caulif & carrots, dill dip

8-17-12
B – 1 1/2 oz. Gouda cheese
S – 2 oz. chunk gouda cheese
S – diet rootbeer float (cream and whipped cream)
L/D – 1 egg yolk, 2 egg whites (hard boiled),
PP shake with soymilk, splenda, Hersheys unsweetened cocoa and ice
S – 1 oz. Cheese, raw broc, caulif & carrots, dill dip
S – diet rootbeer float (cream and whipped cream) and 1/2 c walnuts

8-18-12
B – 2 hard boiled eggs, coffee
S – 1 Tabl. cream cheese
S – Jello mold of SF jello & cream cheese
S – 2 oz. Gouda cheese, 15 almonds
S – mouthful of whipped cream
D – lg. Salad, 4 oz. feta cheese, olives, peppers, tom, onion, OO & wine vinegar
S – lg bowl of jello mold (above)
S – diet root beer float, raw broc, caulif & carrots, dill dip

Today....
8-19-12
B – 1 c. Greek yoghurt and 1/2 c blueberries, splenda, coffee
S/L - 8 oz bowl SF jello/cream cheese mold
D – lg salad, 4 oz. feta cheese, cukes, peppers, onion, mixed olives, tomato, OO & red wine vinegar, and a Steaz ice teaz (it's new for me)

...not quite sure about the rest of the evening. I'm currently marinating a block of black soybean tofu in peanut sauce and plan to cook it tomorrow.

So do you think it's just too many daily calories? Typically I alternate my breakfast between two types - either a PP shake or 3 eggs, etc. and also use HB eggs as snacks. After reading this week's report on egg yolks (I have high cholestrol and take prescription meds) I got a little afraid to eat my usual 1 1/2 - 2 dozen eggs per week. I won't stop eating them, but.... Thanks
Old 08-20-2012, 11:39 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I can't post an opinion about calories because I don't ever count them. I have high cholestrol too and I eat egg beaters. They taste like eggs but are basically egg whites that look like eggs, but I only eat them scrambled or in an omlette. They might be worth a try and see if your cholestrol is lower next checkup.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:05 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Nigel I'm on the fence about the egg-beaters. Since we purchase our eggs from a local farm I'm not really interested in store-bought, but I might try some egg-beaters mixed with real eggs. Or I may just cut back on the hard boiled ones as snacks (as I did this week).

I tried making our scrambled eggs this morning by giving hubby an extra yolk and a half (his cholestrol has always been fine and he has NEVER believed that egg yolks are bad for you). Neither one of us liked our eggs that much - his were too eggy for him and mine were too light and fluffy tasting (and kind of bland, even with the onions, butter and cheese). I'm also not so sure I saved much in cholestrol (or sodium) either after adding about 1/2 c shredded cheese to mine.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:08 PM   #27
Senior LCF Member

I don't count calories either, but keep reading here that it can make a difference overall. Yesterday I read that you could stall if your protein is too high. I didn't know that. There is still SO MUCH that I don't know. LOL

adding to yesterday's menu...
S - 1 oz. gouda cheese
S - cream cheese jello mold w/ a little 1/2 & 1/2
S - 2 rum & diet cokes

Last edited by Madge17; 08-20-2012 at 12:16 PM.. Reason: addition
Old 08-20-2012, 02:40 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well, if you like cottage cheese, you can add that to the eggs and that way you will eat half eggs and half cottage cheese. I call 'em cottage eggs, but they taste pretty good to me.

Some people put cream cheese in their eggs, but I didn't like that at all.
You could try ricotta also.

Maybe just make a 2 egg omlette with tons of veggies and some cheese in it?

I can't think of anything else. I don't think eggs are bad guys either. The egg has always gotten a bad rap, just like pitbulls.

Of course I eat anything for breakfast...cottage cheese and I make american cheese chips to go with it and lots of cracked black pepper and sometimes a sliced tomato.

Or steel cut oats and if you don't like them, I used to mix them with half whole grain oats until I started liking them. They take forever to cook though.

Lots of times I eat leftovers for breakfast cause they are fast.

I make breakfast tacos/burritos using lc tortillas or wraps--that will stretch out the egg content too if you add in veggies.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:11 PM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Nigel, I like both cottage cheese and ricotta. I will try some cottage cheese mixed in my eggs the next time I make them. Thanks for this idea.

Aren't steel cut oats, (or any grain) totally out for us in the weightloss phase? I've read, but never tried, that if you boil water and steel cut oats (or irish oatmeal as I think it's also called) in a pot and then pour the mix into a scalded hot thermos and let it sit overnight, in the morning it's ready to eat. Sounds pretty simple if it works.
Old 08-22-2012, 12:05 PM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Nigel - I just tried the scrambled eggs and cottage cheese you suggested. I used only 2 eggs and between 1/4-1/3 small curd cottage cheese, mixed with some onion, sweet pepper, and a bit of veggie stir-fry from last night. Delicious! It's definitely a keeper, with the only downside being 3-4 carbs in the cottage cheese. I struggle daily (an understatement really) with trying to keep the carbs under 15- 20 gr, probably only hitting the mark maybe once a week... if I'm lucky.

I have a crustless quiche recipe that's made in a 9x 13 pan (I used it for pot luck gatherings, etc.) that I have to look into. It was made with cottage cheese, shredded cheese and some other stuff. I'm sure it had some flour though, but I'll bet someone here would know how I could convert that part. It was really good (served warm or cold - warm being better), but I tried never to eat too much of it back then since I was afraid of all the butter, cheese, and eggs in it.

Since I've got nothing else I want to do right now (I'm still sitting just slightly on the edge of my pity-pot from yesterdays fiascos ), I'll go seek it out now. I think it may be similar to one of Pauline's recipes.