Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-22-2012, 12:43 PM   #31
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
This is a great recipe from Tooter. I don't know if she is still on the forum, but the recipe freezes well also. I just leave out the bacon when I make it and I like making it in the muffin tins better too. You can use less cheese also. I've used it with different cheese and less and it was fine. To reheat after freezing, just nuke one about a minute and it tastes almost as good as the first day you made them.

Better then Quiche, Ricotta pie

Pre-heat oven to 350*

Spray an 8 X 8 Glass pan with Pam.

4 eggs
15 oz container of ricotta
2 cups of Mozarella cheese
1/4 cup of grated parmensan cheese
Small onion chopped and cooked in butter
salt and pepper (add to the onions as you cook in butter)
6 slices of cooked bacon
2 table spoons of dried parsley flakes

Mix the eggs, Mozarella, parmensan, Parsely flakes and ricotta. Cook the onions in butter (salt and pepper to taste) until the onions become translucent. Add to the egg and cheese mixture. Cook up 6 slices of bacon. Dry on a paper towel and crumble them. Add this also to the mixture. Spoon the mixture into the prepared glass pan. Bake at 350* for about 1/2 hour. Until the top is a light brown and the "Pie" is firm. Slice into 6 servings.

I have also made this in the Giant Muffin tins (got the Idea from one of George Stella's books). These refridgerate very well and they re-heat beautifully in the microwave.

Great for breakfast and it's a wonderful dinner if you just have a salad with it.

Last edited by Nigel; 08-22-2012 at 12:45 PM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-22-2012, 01:15 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madge17
WOE: MeatlessLowCarb/LowSodium
Start Date: April 2012
Crustless Quiche - original recipe from a friend

10 eggs, whipped
1/2 c. flour (here lies the problem)
1 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. salt
1 lb. cottage cheese (large curd)
1 lb. Monterey Jack cheese (coursely grated)
1 stick melted (not hot) butter
2 or 3 sauteed leeks, or comparable amount of shallots or sweet onion
1/2 to 1 lb. sauteed mushrooms

Saute leeks, shallots or onions and mushrooms in 1/2 of the melted butter, being careful not to burn the butter.
Whip eggs in bowl with beater. Add flour, baking powder and salt to eggs. Stir in rest of slightly-warm melted butter along with butter and veggies from pan. Add cottage cheese and shredded M.Jack cheese and stir gently.

Pour in a 9 x 13" greased pan (I used a glass or ceramic one). Bake at 350 degrees for 25 to 30 minutes or until set and a toothpick comes out clean. Careful not to overbake. Quiche puffs up beautifully!
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I used to add a tiny bit of dehydrated zucchini or carrots from my garden to this, but not any fresh veggies, as they would add too my weight and moisture and it wouldn't rise properly to the top of the pan.

I haven't made this in years since I was always trying to eat lowfat, but if I can find a good replacement for the flour...(or just accept the 1/2 c flour in it - don't know how many carbs that would be spread across 9 or more hefty servings - guess I go research that now.
Madge17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2012, 01:17 PM   #33
Senior LCF Member

Nigel- just saw your last post. That quiche looks good (and easier too). Thanks for posting it!
Old 08-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #34
Deb
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Deb
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madge17 View Post
First, to Mel 7! The more the merrier!
:
thanks...

welcome to the site
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2012, 08:28 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doug K
Stats: 229/195/140; goal: 30" waist (5'4" tall)
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 2011
I am new around this part of the board, though I've been doing Atkins OWL for over a year. I am not vegetarian, but I am thinking about observing kosher at home. With my tiny kitchen, it would make more sense to go dairy/fish/pareve only, rather than keeping two sets of everything. Any other LC'ers on this path?
Doug K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 10:04 AM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Welcome over here, Doug K.

I am pretty sure some people are flexitarian--I think that is what it's called when you eat fish and dairy, just not meat, so hopefully someone can post their experiences for you.

Please feel free to post anytime.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:03 PM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Hi Doug,
Old 11-08-2012, 04:22 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Aaack! Anyone else get tempted and cave in to the Haloween candy, or am I the only one. I've alsomixed some chocolate chips in with the mixed nuts the last couple nights. I'm not sure what's going on now but I think the Haloween candy may have been a trigger. I need to detox from sugar all over again....and I've been so good for so long too! It was actually getting much easier to stick to LC with no sugar, sigh.... I haven't been hanging around here much lately and I'm sure that didn't help matters either.

This will be my first holiday season doing LC - does anyone have any advice how to get through the holidays LC and unscathed? Thanks
Old 11-09-2012, 07:59 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Doug K
Stats: 229/195/140; goal: 30" waist (5'4" tall)
WOE: Atkins OWL
Start Date: April 2011
Last fall was my first holiday season free from sugar. I'd kept it pretty clean over the summer, but I started slipping in the autumn carbage. I began attending Overeaters Anonymous meetings. My "bottom-line abstinence" is no sugar, flour, or alcohol, and by the grace of God, I haven't put any of those things in my mouth in over a year. I could never have done that on my own (I have tried and failed many times).
Doug K is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2012, 08:35 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Madge17 - are you able to eat s/f candy at all? I have a limit of 3 s/f candies on days that I have bad sugar cravings and that seems to help me a lot. I also chew s/f gum, the flavorful kinds and that distracts me from thinking about the sugar I'm craving at the moment.

For the hoidays, maybe you can make some almond bark, coconut bark, chocolate bark or something similar and some lc sweets so you have something to eat and don't feel so mistreated. I know it does feel like we are mistreated when everyone else is indulging in holiday goodies.

I'm not much of a baker, but there are lots of decent recipes on the recipe help and suggestions forum, so maybe you can find a couple of things there that you can make and eat.
Old 11-09-2012, 10:37 AM   #41
Senior LCF Member

DougK -
Quote:
autumn garbage
Yes, what is it with the fall and winter months - must have something to do with our biological ancestors and fattening up for the winter. Guess our brains and bodies have not quite caught up with all the new junk that's out there in the modern world for us to eat. I'm sure constant in-your-face holiday traditions don't help either. Hubby purchases holiday candy each year "just in case" we get trick-or-treaters, which we never do. I ask him buy the stuff he likes that I don't, but he didn't do that this time. It's no excuse though...I think deep down I wanted "something".

--------------------------------------------
Nigel - I found over the past couple months that SF additives and my digestive system are not *compatible*, to put it mildly. I'm just starting to eat normal LC again after weeks on Imodium and the BRAT diet, minus the rice and toast (I had some saltines though). My Dr. and I think that my recent (last few months) of over-consumption of SF foods may have triggered the problems. I sure hope it's from sweeteners and not some other problem.

Prior to LC, I really disliked and wouldn't use artificial sweeteners, with the exception of the very occasional diet soda. To satisfy my urges when hubby sat down each evening with a bowl of ice cream or cookies, candy, potato chips,etc. I was having SF jello and whipped cream, diet root beer "mock" floats, frozen blender drinks, or Greek yoghurt mixed with whipped cream and splenda. I don't think my stomach was prepared for the onslaught of SF stuff. After stopping SF foods for a couple weeks my system is almost back to normal. Coincidence I've been slowly introducing one SF thing a day, and seeing how that goes. I think if I limit myself, I'll be okay.

It's really a shame though, because when I was having 3-4 various SF foods or beverages each day I was doing really well and finally lost some weight. Now that I'm back to the more calorie dense stuff like nuts, nut-butters and cheeses (as both a protein and for snacks), I've gained back pounds and now I'm stalled again.

I'm really somewhat afraid to bake something I'll like. I have control problems. Yesterday I was reading about "fat bombs" for the first time. Just reading about them made me want something enough to get up and make a small bowl of almond butter, cocoa powder, protein powder and splenda (guessing about a 1/3 to 1/2 c total) and sat here, reading, while eating it all. I'm a little frustrated with myself right now...however I ate my little package of late-night nuts w/o any added choc chips, so one small victory for regaining control...I guess.

SF candy has never agreed with me, but I haven't tried any in years. My Mom was diabetic, and when I had some of her candies (I think they had manitol or sorbitol back then?) oh boy...not good at all!

I'm sure I could make several baked goodies I'd be satified with, but controlling how much I ate would be the big problem. I'm almost better off with nothing around.
-----------------
Thanks to both of you for your suggestions....and for listening to the blabbermouth get this off her chest I'm going to post yesterday foods now.

Last edited by Madge17; 11-09-2012 at 10:46 AM.. Reason: typo's
Old 11-09-2012, 01:02 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's always good to talk/chat about what's on your mind or what's bothering you.

I have to limit anything s/f because of the sugar alchols. Some of them bother me worse than others so that is probably the only reason I don't overindulge on some things...it's not worth the dire consequences.

I use a recipe to make almond pancakes that uses 1/4 cup of regular honey. I usually make half the batch into pancakes and the other half I add in chopped nuts and dried fruit. I don't know if they have s/f dried fruits or no sugar added, but if they do, that might be an idea. I bake that up like a little cake and it's dense so I can't eat much of it at a time and for the amount of servings from the recipe, the 1/4 of honey isn't that bad at all. I think I posted the recipe on this forum somewhere for the waffles/pancakes.

I did make it once with frozen blueberries and the cake was still okay, but not as good as with the dried ones.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:05 PM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/121/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
I had a bit of a delayed Halloween reaction though I think it might have been election-related. Cream cheese clouds are a LC treat that I've kept in my freezer constantly over the last several months. A batch of 24 would last about 6 weeks.

I made a batch on 11/3 and immediately started eating them over that weekend and into the week until the cream cheese clouds were all gone, less than a week after I made them! At least it was LC, but that was not much consolation.

Feels good to confess this!

I normally don't have much trouble staying on plan, but maybe that's because my husband isn't a snacker and we don't really have any tempting, off-plan food in the house.

Last edited by MargD; 11-14-2012 at 06:46 PM.. Reason: clarity
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2012, 01:25 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Feels good to confess this!
Yes, I find it cathartic! LOL I'm not going to ask about the cheese bombs, though I have been purchasing a lot of cream cheese lately and the packages are sitting and waiting for "something" to be done with them. (I don't think my tummy's ready for them yet) Hubby wants a traditional cheesecake - I haven't made one in about a year! I mostly stopped baking when I started LC last spring. It's one of the reasons he's constantly coming home with junk food and goodies now, some which doesn't appeal to me, but some which I practically drool for. I try and stay out the the LR when he's watching TV and snacking, but it's hard when we are watching a movie together. I typically try to have *my* snacks then and the sugar free stuff was helpful here. Otherwise I could easily eat 1 cup of PB with a spoon, a bowl of nuts or cheeses.

-----------------------------------
My diet has been inconsistent this past week, mostly due to stomach/intestinal problems again. This is becoming a recurring theme for me lately, but I'm still having trouble connecting the dots to find the main troublemaker, if it is something I'm eating. It could be diet-related or not...so hard to tell. My main goal has been keeping everything "in check" and also not getting too low on my electrolytes or getting dehydrated. The last two could present big trouble for me.

I haven't given a progress report, but lately I'm *fluctuating* between a 15 to 20 lb. loss since starting LC (I can easily gain or loose 3-5 lbs. of fluid in any given day or two). Nothing as great as i'mstarryeyed , but then again I don't exercise, and have difficulty keeping my daily calories low. My daily/weekly caloric intake is probably as high (maybe higher?) than it was before LC - I've just swapped foods. MUCH less carbs, MUCH more fat and some additional protein. Seems to be working somehow, although very slowly. Probably some of my days have been lower cal too. I'm sure having to go on the applesauce, banana and saltines diet on and off lately has been playing havoc with my LC diet. I wish my body would get it's act together!
Old 12-03-2012, 01:38 PM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sherril
Stats: 207/188.6/125
WOE: Low-carb lacto-ovo vegetarian
Start Date: 11/09 the first time 2/12 this time
I'm thinking of splurging and buying some Carbquik from Netrition for doing Christmas baking. I want to make sugar cookies and breads but I don't want to be too tempted with the real stuff. I hear good things about Carquik and I'm sure at least my husband would eat it if I made it. What is your experience with Carbquik?
Sherril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2013, 04:06 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Whine alert!

I'd like to whine a little about why I haven't been hanging around here or posting lately. I'm am having some long-term digestive problems and have been living on Imodium a lot. My Dr. will be talking to a gastroenterologist next week. I've been forced to ease off the fats and artificial sugars and lately add more carbs (particularly bananas and applesauce, crackers and bread) back into my diet. It doesn't seem to help much, my condition seems to have become chronic (around 6 months now). At this point I am still hoping (in one way) it is diet related and nothing worse. I also hope it isn't diet related since LC is the first diet that has worked for me in over 20 yrs. and I would REALLY hate to give it up completely.

Just by adding more carbs back I have retained more fluid again, my blood pressure has risen and I've gained back over 5 lbs and I'm bloated. I feel lousy and headache-y. My Dr. started me on yet another BP/heart med last week, which could be also be causing the headaches (according to her). It seems that while low carb may be fixing some physical problems, it might be (unfortunately) causing others. I *really* hope it's just coincidence between LC diet and this new digestive disorder. Could be my age now too - the body isn't as tolerant to drastic changes in diet like it was when I was younger.

Anyway, I haven't had anything good to post, plus, since I'm only doing a half-ass LC diet now, I'm gaining weight instead of losing and not a very happy upbeat person. I hope to get this gastro problem under control soon and be back on board with my LC diet. Even though my weight loss was small and slow, it was a weight loss and I was really feeling good about it. I don't want to gain back the pounds I worked so hard to loose. If anyone made it this far, thanks for listening to my whine. I don't want to give up and loose contact with my LC friends completely while this all gets sorted out.
Old 02-03-2013, 07:22 AM   #47
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Moosiegirl
Stats: 5'3" 139/129/122
WOE: Low carb - vegetarian (fish, too)
Start Date: January 2013
Sherril, I just got some Carbquick last week, made some cheese biscuits with a recipe on the box and LOVED them. For me, they tasted just wonderful. I ate three biscuits and worried what it would do the scale, and it actually dropped the tiniest bit the next morning.

Speaking of which, I've been doing low carb for just one month, and the first two weeks I lost six pounds, but only have lost one pound in the second two weeks. Plus starting week 3, my cravings for food came back. I think I pinned it down to Crystal Light and diet soda and caffeine as the culprits. I've been eating more than normal the past several days, and am starting to lose again. The cravings are slowly starting to diminish.

I'm so thankful for LC vegetarian, and especially to Nigel for all of his insightful posts. Reading every day has really helped me keep on track! Thanks, everyone!
Moosiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2013, 10:55 PM   #48
Senior LCF Member

How's everyone doing? I see the board has been quiet again. I'm happy to see Moosiegirl doing well on the LC veggie diet! It's not bad once you get used to eating differently. As for me, I'm in no-mans land and scheduled to go in for a couple invasive tests next week and hopefully get some answers. This has been dragging on for way too long now. I'm maintaining my weight loss fairly well even through all of this, though I have no idea why considering the different foods they've had me on. LOL I'll post back after the tests when I learn more - the sooner I can start back on the LC veggie diet and losing more weight, the better! I hope everyone is doing ok, you all are in my thoughts!
Old 03-28-2013, 09:26 PM   #49
Senior LCF Member

Wow, I can't believe how quiet the veggie board has been. Just checking in to see what's up with everyone. Finally got a diagnosis for what has been causing all my stomach and intestinal problems since July and I'm happy to say it is not from my LC diet! but I am going to have to watch the fats. I've been taking corticosteroids for a month now and finally, after all this time and misery, things are improving - just not fast enough for me. LOL I've been sticking to a semi-LC diet as best as I can until everything gets back to normal and I can slowly start coming off the meds. They give me daily headaches and increase my appetite - what more could I ask for. But in reality, that's a small price to pay.

How's everyone else doing?
Old 03-29-2013, 08:55 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Funny, I was going to ask if there were no more vegetarians? lol

Seriously, I am glad you found out what was causing the problems.
I don't know if a Paleo diet would be helpful or even perhaps South Beach--you get more carbs on that.

I have always had to add carbs in, but I figured my body was wierd. Even when I was losing weight, if I didn't "cheat" and have a few carbs every week, I would stop losing. So I had a meal every Friday of whatever I wanted. I didn't overeat and I only made enough for one meal. Sometimes I ordered pizza or went for mexican, but I only let myself eat til I was full, no leftovers.
It also gave me a break from the strict low carb regime I was on.

Later on, I figured out that I needed some carbs or else I was exhausted all the time. I'm still cautious on the amounts and how often I have something like half a baked potato or an ear of corn or corn tortillas, but once in a while it is nice to have carbs. So far, I haven't gained back any weight, but I do work a lot, so I'm pretty active. I think being very active lets one get away with eating more carbs. But hey, that could just be my body again too.
Old 04-08-2013, 11:31 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Nigel, wouldn't the paleo diet be hard to do as a vegetarian? Also, I currently have to be careful of too many raw veggies. I'm not totally sure what the paleo diet consists of, but I'm under the impression it is more of a "back to our caveman roots" type of diet. I really need to learn much more about it before forming an opinion, I'm just guessing based on the name. Thanks for bringing it to my attention!
Old 04-09-2013, 06:07 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm not well versed in the Paleo Diet, I just know there are a lot of low carb recipes for that diet.

They do eat lean meat/seafood and don't eat grains or legumes.

They eat vegetables, nuts, healthy fats, fruits. They don't eat any dairy.

I however do eat legumes and soy products, etc.
I still eat dairy, just less of it, but it never seemed to give me trouble.
Old 04-25-2013, 04:55 PM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hot Pickled Carrots

Today I made hot pickled carrots.
A friend of mine gave me huge carrots and surprisingly, they were delicious.
Since I had so many, I decided to pickle 2 lbs of them.
I had to add some japs for heat. They are cooling now.
Old 04-27-2013, 04:14 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
Hi Folks, I havent visited in a long time. I wanted to tell you that since I found I Dreamfields pasta it has become easier to be vegetarian. If I eat this in moderation it cause NO rise in blood sugar. Moderation is 1 cup. Anyway, I can add 1/2 to 1 cup to the vegetables on my plate & not need meat to get a full tummy. I usually make the following easy mac & cheese recipe, popular with non low carbers.

2 c Dreamfields macaroni, dry
1/2 stick butter or coconut oil
16 oz cottage cheese
2 c shredded cheese
2 c boiling water

Mix all ingredients in your favorite baking container. Bake uncovered @ 350 for 45 minutes to 1 hour.

"obesity is a complex problem and it will not be shoehorned into simplistic hypotheses"
Stephan Guyenet
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 05:37 PM   #55
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I like your mac and cheese recipe.

I make something similar once in a while.

Good to see you here.
Old 07-30-2013, 04:46 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
Just stopping by. I greatly appreciate the insights I've gotten from the low-carb crowd but sometimes all the bacon and artificial sweetener and "fat bomb" talk sort of put me off my feed a little. I kind of wander in and out of meatless eating -- have been briefly vegan, vegetarian for pretty long stretches, but for a few years have described myself as an omnivore who knows a lot of vegan recipes. The latest label that seems about right is Flexitarian -- and I know how that irritates real vegans and vegetarians, so... But I am interested in a low-carb diet without so much meat. Maybe a thread on that topic would draw some like-minded people.

I was really hoping that my new low-carb smoothie yesterday would be a winner (it had a couple servings of tofu in it) but I could barely choke it down. I love tofu when it's prepared right, but right out of the package and into the blender did not work for me. Too bad.

And of course when I mentioned it on the meat-heavy threads I got a lot of "that stuff will kill you" comments. But I don't find the "soy is poison" arguments very convincing.

If any veggie lovers stop by, pause and say hello.

Best,
Martha
martha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:44 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gald you dropped by martha. I eat soy all the time and so does my wife. My dogs even like it. I ignore the naysayers.

I also occasionally give into a couple of slices of bacon or use real chicken broth.

So i guess I'm actually in the same category as you. I don't eat meat because I stopped liiking it, plain and simple. Sometimes I wish I could eat meat again cuz I get so bored with my soy burgers, etc.

I will start a new thread in the low carb recipe and help forum...I don't know how many will respond, but it's worth a try.

Have a great day, martha!!
Old 07-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imstarryeyed
WOE: lacto ovo pesco vegetarian low carb
Start Date: April 12, 2012
Hi Martha and the other few reading the vegetarian board!

Eating meatless is very easy for me because I've never cared for meat much. Carbs have always been my downfall so going low carb just makes sense for me. I wish I liked tofu but I don't. I can eat it but why bother? I don't like much of the fake meat either. There are some good veggie burgers that are low carb but I don't feel they imitate meat.I do eat fish occasionally. I somehow feel it's better to eat salmon than take a fish oil pill.

What I've learned, above all, is stay away from empty carbs. They are truly evil and charm you into believing just a little won't hurt you. Wrong! A bite here, just one there and you're hooked and thinking of making a crazy, out of control run to the store. At least that's me. I'm glad for this board and all the posters who inspire me and keep me focused.
imstarryeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 10:58 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: martha
Stats: 138/102.3/107?
WOE: Low Carb Mediterranean/IF maintenance
Start Date: Feb. 25, 2013 Goal weight Sept. 11, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post

I will start a new thread in the low carb recipe and help forum...I don't know how many will respond, but it's worth a try.

Have a great day, martha!!
Same to you, Nigel.
martha is offline   Reply With Quote