Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-10-2012, 02:49 AM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: msree
? for nigel

Hi nigel, how do you make your faux meatloaf? Or anyone that has a good recipe please? TIA
msree is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-10-2012, 04:30 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Hi there,
Honestly, I don't have a great recipe. The best one I made was with the Gimme Lean ground. I just added some chopped bell pepper(1/2 cup), chopped onion(a couple of slices), about half a shredded carrot, some finely chopped celery(2 ribs), a bit of parmesan, some chopped black olives (small can) and some ground brazil nuts(1/3 cup) and an egg. I put some tomato sauce on top. I added in spices...mostly salt, pepper, parsley, and a bit of Italian seasoning.

I have tried lots of recipes, but most of them were not great to me. I just keep trying different ones. The Gimme Lean I liked, but now they don't carry that stuff where I live anymore.

You can use TVP or MSF crumbles or boca crumbles or just nuts and veggies also. I found lots of recipes on vegweb.

The brazil nuts and black olives give it a heartier texture and flavor, but you could just use the faux meat crumbles and a regular meat loaf recipe. I used the nuts and parmesan in place of the bread/cracker crumbs, but I think LC bread crumbs would work well or regular ones if you aren't strict on carbs. I used to put oatmeal in my meatloaf and I liked that better too, instead of the bread/cracker crumbs. Some of the recipes I tried used brown rice also.

I know someone posted a recipe on here that was said to be really good. I'll see if I can find it--I haven't tried it, but you can never have too many recipes.

Last edited by Nigel; 07-10-2012 at 04:32 AM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2012, 04:40 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Okay, here is the link...there are pics and the recipe here.

Vegetarian Nut Loaf! DELICIOUS!

Now that I see this thread again, it makes me want to try it. It's on my list now. If you try it before I do, please post your results, okay.

I also think I'll skip the cranberries in the recipe...I'm not crazy about them except in sweet concoctions.

Last edited by Nigel; 07-10-2012 at 04:45 AM..
Old 07-11-2012, 12:05 AM   #4
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: msree
meatloaf

Thanks nigel, the meatloaf looks amazing! Alas, I can't have that one because of the mushrooms. Drat! I will try some of your suggestions though. I miss my meatloaf. I have tvp ordered, may try that. I will let you know what I come up with. msree
msree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hope you are still around. I made the best faux meatloaf the other day.

I used a bag of boca crumbles, about 1/2 cup of ground up brazil nuts, 1/2 a large onion, 1/2 red bell pepper, 2 ribs celery, 1/2 can of tomato sauce (about 1/4 cup inside and another 1/4 cup on top), 2 eggs, 1 finely grated carrot, about 1/2 cup of oatmeal and some spices.

I love chili powder, cilantro, cumin, parsley, salt and pepper, so I just did it like I did meatloaf in the old days.

Youi could use something instead of the oatmeal to make it lower carb. The ground up brazil nuts are great cause they give it the right texture.

It makes a lot. I had enough leftover to make up some meatballs for the freezer for later. I had to add another egg to hold the meatballs together and some panko bread crumbs (you could use lc bread or cracker crumbs).

Last edited by Nigel; 09-13-2012 at 11:36 AM..
Old 09-14-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/121/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
This sounds good, Nigel. Now that it's getting cooler, I don't mind turning the oven on.

Do you remember how long you baked it?
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2012, 05:56 AM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, I baked it at 350° fir an hour, uncovered. It got a nice crusty top on it.
The next day, I fried up some slices in butter and had a meatloaf sandwich on LC bread...I haven't had one of those in years.

I get at least 4-6 meals out of a bag of boca crumbles.

They cook up nicely for tacos or taco salad.

The other night I had tacos and mixed the boca with some leftover refried beans and that was pretty good too.

I like the boca crumbles better than the MSF crumbles, but the MSF crumbles are more chewy if one likes their protein chewy.