Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vegetarian (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/)
-   -   Do you eat fruit? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/776046-do-you-eat-fruit.html)

Sherril 06-23-2012 11:02 PM

Do you eat fruit?

Summer is in full swing now and the fruit is everywhere. I LOVE summer fruit. I don't miss it much any other time of the year. I really don't like berries, which are the fruit that are lowest carbs. I see cherries, peaches, plums, etc everywhere and I want some. I ate 1/4 small peach the other day and tonight I had 11 bing cherries. I understand the cherries about about 1 carb each so 11 was a big chunk of carbs for me since I want to eat around 20-30 carbs daily. I think I'm still within my range and we'll see if I'm extra hungry tomorrow, but I hope not! If those cherries don't push me into being hungry, I may eat very small portions of my favorites while they are in season. Do you eat fruit? Anything besides berries, blue, staw, ras, etc?

Purrgirl 06-24-2012 02:34 PM

I eat fruit every single day. Bananas, oranges, blueberries, raspberries, and strawberries are a part of my diet. I don't low carb though, and fruit does not make me hungrier.

Nigel 06-25-2012 02:42 AM

I eat fruit every day, just about and most fruits. I'm not keen on kiwi, papaya, mango or melons except for watermelon. I've never had a plantain, but I eat a banana almost every day. But then I love berries of all kinds too. I'm on maintenance and it hasn't affected me in 2 years.

What I used to do when I was losing weight, I would cut up a fresh pear or something similar and add it to a box of sugar free jello. If you cut it in tiny pieces, it seems like you have more fruit and it makes the jello tasty. There is also sugar free canned fruit now which you could probably get away with using also.

After the jello is solid, then I make some whipped cream and top it with that and some crushed nuts. It takes very little whipped cream and nuts to make it taste/seem like a very decadent dessert. I still love having this and its very satisfying to me. I call them jello sundaes.

MargD 06-25-2012 05:12 AM

I was eating lots of strawberries this summer (as I did last summer when I was losing), but something has me up a couple of pounds so I've eliminated the strawberries for now.

I occasionally have a protein shake with a frozen, ripe banana. This is one of my favorite things to have. Love it.

lesscarbs 06-25-2012 12:08 PM

Hi Sherril, Have you tried making smoothies out of berries? I feel that eating them raw is kind of an acquired taste, but if you stick them in a blender with water and ice, they're delicious!

Nigel 06-26-2012 01:26 AM

I make strawberry and blueberry smoothies with almond milk and a tad of sweetner..yummy good and easy when I don't feel like cooking.

NellieIE 06-27-2012 05:08 AM

I eat at least 1 piece/portion of fruit every day (200g cherries, apples, half a melon), anything except bananas. I am not on a specific plan, just want to do low carb. I only started 11 days ago but have lost 3 pounds :jumpjoy:so it seems to be okay for me.

Nigel 06-27-2012 06:09 AM

Congrats on the weightloss, Nellie. Doing whatever works for you is the best WOE in my honest opinion. I finally learned to listen to my body and now I know when I really need to eat more protein, etc. And I eat a lot more veggies now than I ever did. I even started liking some I didn't like a few years ago. Keep up the good work, Nellie. *virtual pat on the back for you*

NellieIE 06-28-2012 05:54 AM

Thank you for your kind words Nigel!

I have always liked vegetables but since starting this WOE I have eaten a lot more than usual and it feels very good!

I am amazed at how satisfying this diet is, I haven't gone hungry at any stage and feel great after every meal. Also I haven't missed carbs at all so far.

You are so right, we need to learn to listen to our bodies again, they know what's best for us:)

All the best,

Nathalie

tammay 07-05-2012 08:33 AM

Sherill, I'm like you. I have never been a big fruit fan (I prefer to get my vitamins and minerals from veggies) but in the summer, I do sometimes miss it a little. I'm not really eating much of it these days, though. I guess I'm just not in the mood. I'm very finicky about my fruits - they have to be the perfect flavor and consistency or I will literally throw them out. So if peaches are too sour or apricots too hard, I just won't eat them. I guess that keeps me away from the fruits more than anything else :D.

Tam

Locarbveghead 07-15-2012 11:32 AM

Fruit was my downfall in the bad old - low fat/high carb - days. I could blow through a pound of grapes in a sitting, and then move on to the rest of the farmer's market. And don't even get me started on dried fruit... Needless to say, summer was my favorite time of year.

I had to completely give up fruit for a long time, because even a little bit sends me over the edge. I have added back berries in small quantities, and occasionally I'll have a grape or two, but only if they are with something fatty like cheese or nuts. Otherwise, I can't do it. Fortunately, I don't so much crave fruit anymore, and I can now make it past the produce stands without salivating. (Well, not too much, anyway - old habits die hard!)

Madge17 07-29-2012 06:05 PM

I love most fruits and this LC diet has been difficult without them. I have the various berries when I find nice packages in the store and I've had some watermelon, pineapple and just today, fresh mango. :doh: I haven't had any of the others since I started LC - I try to blow right past the fresh fruit and produce section unless I'm getting salad veggies - it's just too tempting (and sad). I've been treating myself with various full-fat cheeses now instead. :dunno:

LCveghead - I could eat a pound of grapes at one sitting too - loved the red ones!...and whole rings of dried unsulphlured/unsweetend pineapple...oh well.

Doug K 11-06-2012 07:40 PM

I've been eating berries for about a year. This fall, I added apples back in. A cup of cottage cheese with a chopped Granny Smith apple, cinnamon, and some chopped walnuts or sliced almonds is a wonderful meal.

Madge17 11-08-2012 03:16 PM

In addition to the strawberries I typically have in blender protein drinks, I've now added bananas back into my diet. :) I'm trying to limit them to only one every-other-day (preferably frozen for my blender drink), but no more than one a day if I feel I *really* need to have one. I realize they are high in carbs, but they are also rich in potassium and I need that too.

Over the summer I indulged in watermelon and pineapple every so often, but have stayed away from most other fruits - much to my dismay. :cry:

wendysmiling 11-17-2012 10:48 PM

I love fruit :D

Madge17 11-19-2012 11:33 AM

Quote:

I love fruit
Me too - at times I was more of a "fruitarian" than vegetarian. :D

valentine21463 12-02-2012 11:38 AM

I eat fruit every day. At least 4 servings. I love it! So far so good.

Madge17 12-02-2012 04:19 PM

Today I had my first raw apple in 8 months - and it was great! :yummy: I purchased 5 apples the other day and plan to slowly incorporate them into my LC diet, along with the bananas. I hope the additional fiber they provide will help with my gastro problems.

Oh, and :welcome: valentine21463

Sherril 12-03-2012 01:30 PM

Madge, I like to slice apple halves into thin slices like potato chips and eat it with hummus. The sweet and smooth garlic flavors of hummus are delightful together. Plus it takes a long time to eat and feels like eating something special.

MaryMary 12-15-2012 08:59 PM

I have 1/2 c to 1 cup of fruit every morning with my breakfast protein. No problems

snooks86 02-14-2014 02:40 AM

I have frozen berries and cherries in smoothies for breakfast at times. Love adding maca and cacao powder, too.

MaryMary 02-14-2014 03:40 AM

I am on maintenance now and am having a fruit 3 times a day at each meal in order to stop the weight loss.

chessi52571 08-20-2014 12:12 AM

Fruits diet is my favorite and i include that in my daily meal.

Nigel 08-20-2014 09:40 AM

Hi chessi52571,

Welcome to the forum.

I was eating nectarines and peaches nearly every day for a while there....they were in season here. Now I'm back to strawberries. Once in a while, I eat an orange.

My fruit eating changes a lot...sometimes I don't eat any for weeks and then sometimes I have some everyday. I would rather eat fruit than eat something like chips or ice cream.

Heidinem 08-21-2014 05:31 AM

Raspberries every day from my bushes. Avocado every day. Never more than 2 servings per day.