Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-16-2012, 08:21 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Produce Shopping

I thought there was a thread here about produce shopping, but I searched and searched and couldn't find it.

About 2x per year, this town called Castroville, about an hour east of where I live has a city wide garage sale. They also have plenty of people out selling veggies from their gardens and home canned jams, etc. and a regular little vegetable stand which is open every day during the season. The vegetable stand is owned by a farmer and his kids run the stand, so whatever is produced in their garden that is extra, they sell and for real good prices most of the time.

We went on June 1 and I got yellow squash, okra, bell peppers, cucumbers, and some of tomatoes--a lot of them were green, so I didn't get that many. Then I went down the road to another little stand and got more tomatoes. Anyway, I still have some squash left and I was out of tomatoes, so we decided to take a Saturday drive yesterday.

We went to the little veggie stand and I got fresh green beans, pickling cucumbers, okra, and a load of tomatoes. I was disappointed that they didn't have any bell peppers...the last ones were the best!

Then I went to the other little stand and he had jubilee tomatoes...sort of like cherry tomatoes but shaped more like mini-roma's and sweet as candy and bigger than a cherry tomato, so I got some of them and a black diamond watermelon. They had 3 kinds of watermelon, including the light green striped kind and another kind that was light green and had a strange looking texture. I forgot to ask if that was a special type or what.

Then I went off to the grocery store in a nearby town and got some spinach and mushrooms and bananas. So I've got a great supply of prooduce for a while.

It's great to have all fresh veggies for my V-8+ drinks I make.

Oh, at the veggie stand, the homegrown tomatoes are only $1 per pound and they are nice...some big and some small, but all of them very tasty.

I came home and ate 2 tomatoes and 4 little cucumbers and a couple of slices of cheese for my dinner. I could live on tomatoes and cucumbers.

I'm going to make some okra patties and maybe some veggie gumbo and some green bean fries which we call cactus sticks. Gosh, I'm easy to entertain--just give me some good produce. LOL

Oh yeah, I couldn't sleep the night before, so I got up and canned 4 pints of pears and a pint and a half of pear syrup. It's funny, but canning and processing veggies relaxes me.

Last edited by Nigel; 06-16-2012 at 08:23 PM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2012, 08:31 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sherril
Stats: 207/188.6/125
WOE: Low-carb lacto-ovo vegetarian
Start Date: 11/09 the first time 2/12 this time
Are you in California? I wish we had veggie stands so close, but we do have a farmer's market in nearby cities three times a week. I should really start going. There's one in the morning in Claremont. I live in Southern California. Doesn't Castroville, CA grow artichokes or are you in Texas?
Sherril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2012, 08:37 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I'm in Texas...and fresh produce is hard to find. We have an HEB grocery store and a super Walmart in the town near where I live...I live in the boonies, but the produce seems second rate. When I go to San Antonio, about 85 miles away, even the 99cent store has better produce than we get at walmart. Once in a while, HEB surprises me and has pretty good stuff. Funny, they advertise on TV about how fresh their produce is, but it must not pertain to our store. I can drive about 30 miles west to another HEB and super Walmart and they have decent produce 99% of the time. Go figure.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2012, 05:23 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/123/119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
So jealous of you guys! I'm up north and impatiently waiting for tomatoes to be in season.

I'm fortunate to have a farmer's market close by, but it's only on Saturdays. There are two organic farmers there every summer, so I try to give them a lot of my veggie business because I want to be supportive of what they're doing.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote