Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vegetarian (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/)
-   -   Looking for Seitan Suggestions (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/774418-looking-seitan-suggestions.html)

MargD 06-14-2012 05:45 AM

Looking for Seitan Suggestions

I (impulsively) bought some Seitan last week and now I'm not sure what to do with it. I have seen suggestions for using it where you would use beef or chicken, but I didn't have good luck with that when I bought MSF fake chicken strips last winter. I used them (the fake chicken) in soup and the texture was so gross, IMO.

When you Google "Seitan recipes" you find many recipes for making Seitan, but not many recipes that include already prepared Seitan.

Can someone be more specific about how they use Seitan?

Nigel 06-15-2012 03:49 AM

I wish I could help. I bought some seitan roast once and it wsn't very good, so I haven't tried it again.

Hopefully someone here uses it. I'd like to know more about it myself.

Mercuryfan 06-15-2012 08:36 PM

MargD....I don't have any recipes for seitan because I hate it. (texture reminds me of beef) BUT there are quite a few seitan recipes at Whole Foods website, and Vegetarian Times website.

I've personally seen it prepared sliced thin for sandwiches, in a artichoke and mayo salad, and stir fried with mushrooms and/or green pepers & onions.

Good luck with your search!!!

Heather87 06-18-2012 06:21 AM

Hi there,
I usually marinade it for an hour or two (Soy sauce/lc tomatto sauce). Then I usually stir-fry it with more sauce and spices.
You can also add vegetables of your liking.

Sherril 06-24-2012 08:48 AM

Those fake chicken strips don't do well sitting in liquid, that's why your soup was gross. You can put seitan in soup and it won't turn waterlogged like the strips did. Also, they do well in casseroles and dishes like stroganoff.

MargD 06-25-2012 05:07 AM

I liked it. I ended up using a recipe from Vegetarian Times for the inspiration. It was called Seitan Satay with Peanut Sauce. My seitan didn't seem skewer-friendly, so I used the marinade from the recipe and then cooked the seitan with Shiritaki noodles in a skillet. I also made the peanut sauce, but I don't think it was necessary.

My (non-vegetarian) husband was very wary, but even he liked it, though he kept calling it satan.

Thanks, everyone, for your suggestions. It's nice to have another protein option.

MargD 06-25-2012 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherril (Post 15748833)
Those fake chicken strips don't do well sitting in liquid, that's why your soup was gross. You can put seitan in soup and it won't turn waterlogged like the strips did. Also, they do well in casseroles and dishes like stroganoff.

Thanks, Sherril. It's nice to know where I went wrong with my "chicken" soup experiment.

Nigel 06-25-2012 05:28 AM

Yeah, I think it is pronounced say-tan...lol

MargD 06-25-2012 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 15750890)
Yeah, I think it is pronounced say-tan...lol

I just looked it up and that IS how it's pronounced. I have been saying "SEE tin".

I'll have tell my husband he was right all along.

Nigel 06-26-2012 01:28 AM

Yeah, we just don't like saying satan...hahaha!!

Oh yes dear, we are eating satan again tonight. ROFL (my bad)

MargD 06-26-2012 05:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 15753676)
Yeah, we just don't like saying satan...hahaha!!

Oh yes dear, we are eating satan again tonight. ROFL (my bad)

That sounds a lot like our dinner table conversation Sunday evening!