Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vegetarian (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/)
-   -   I'm struggling with diet and stomach problems (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/773941-im-struggling-diet-stomach-problems.html)

Madge17 06-08-2012 10:29 AM

I'm struggling with diet and stomach problems

I haven't been posting or journaling what I've been eating lately and I've been up 3 lbs. for the past few days. :sad: I think I'm out of control with nuts and PB again. Since I started LC'ing (sometime in March) I have lost a total of between 6-7 lbs. Yesterday I was insatiable and the day prior wasn't much better. I'm somewhat bored with my food choices and getting disgruntled.

Last week I had a lot of upper and lower ab pain, along with gurgling stomach and acid indigestion. I've been living on Tums and a prescription medication "Symax" for intestinal cramping. While they help, I wish I knew exactly what to change about my eating to fix the problem.

Is this kind of normal when changing from a high-carb to low-carb and higher-fat diet? I think typically when you majorly change your diet you effect your stomach (and I'm ok with that if it's temporary), but I'm wondering why it didn't start sooner than two weeks ago...and even more, when will it stop? :p Anyone else experience stomach/bowel distress? Sorry to ask. :o Thanks :)

TaDa! 06-08-2012 12:11 PM

I wish I could help Madge .. but I never had any gastro issues with lowcarb other than the occasional constipaton, easily fixed with flax meal, coconut oil, and extra green veggies. it sounds like something else might be going on? Do you have a stomach bug maybe?

Madge17 06-08-2012 02:10 PM

Thanks Pauline :) I don't think it's a bug, I feel fine otherwise. One day last week in particular was horrible, so the next day I only ate plain yoghurt and tea, and felt a little better. I could have upset the internal "balance" IYKWIM. :o I'm better these past few days, but it's still problematic. The constipation is definitely something new to me - never had it with my old high-fiber diet, but I do understand why that would be happening and realize it's fairly common from reading the boards.

As I've been searching LCF for answers I'm now wondering if the artificial sweetners I've been having could be a part of the problem. The only thing I'd use with artificial sweetners before LC was a diet soda, which I only occasionally consumed. I also tried a canned drink sweetened with stevia and the E-stuff for the first time - perhaps my tummy didn't like either and that was the trigger? I think I have at least 2 things going on at the same time - something with the gastric juices, and constipation. I'm having my large salads and raw veggies again, so that should help with the 2nd problem.

I have a bag of flax meal, but still haven't decided what to use it in now that I'm not making hot cereals or baking. I don't think I'd like it in yoghurt or protein drinks....but I suppose there's only one way to find out. LOL

How have you been feeling lately? Sounds like you had a bit of a scare.:console: Glad you're feeling better!

Nigel 06-08-2012 03:10 PM

All I can think of is are you getting enough protein and enough vitamins with what you eat daily?

And the dreaded, maybe you need to see a doctor?

Then there is the lactose intolerance, which can cause stomach distress, but you would have to be tested to find out for sure.

There are so many things...ulcers, IBS, etc. Maybe keep track of what you eat and cut out the dairy altogether and see if the symptoms lessen?

Madge17 06-09-2012 07:59 AM

Thanks for your suggestions Nigel,
I'll be seeing my doc in a couple weeks for my regular check-up. I haven't wanted to call because I was afraid she might say to stop my diet and see what happens - which would be the logical thing to do. LOL (I "know" what will happen - I'll promptly gain back the 7 lbs. I lost!) I doubt it's lactose intolerance since I've never had a problem with dairy and I drank 2-3 glasses of milk a day before LC. I'm probably getting more protein now than I ever did before! My old diet consisted of mostly carbohydrates and was quite low protein on many days.

I'm trying to limit the coffee (though I only drink 1-2 c a day) and nuts/seeds and see where that takes me. I am feeling better these past couple days, so maybe it was the wrong combination of foods and drink at the same time, with the new-to-me sweetners. I'm sure I overdid something, trouble is I don't know what it is/was. If I can keep the burning/gurlgling controlled with Tums and the other pains go away I'll be a happy camper. :)

Nigel 06-09-2012 08:40 AM

Well, some people can't take artificial sweetners and some people can only take certain kinds. My Mom can't use Splenda at all--she says it gives her great stomach distress and lots of cramping.

The best way to find out is to only use one type for a few days and then switch and by process of elimination, maybe you can find the culprit.

Madge17 06-10-2012 05:42 PM

Thanks again Nigel....I'm sure it's a little bit of everything that's different and my stomach isn't used to. It's tolerable now, still uncomfortable and crampy (and the burning), but nothing quite as severe as last week. I'm trying to drink more water too. If I can't determine the cause, It may be something I'll just have to deal with it until I loose the weight. :dunno: