Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-30-2012, 04:37 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
OMG You Guys!!!! Mung Bean Sprouts!!!!

Ok, so I make stirfry for the family here about once a week .. it is great because everyone will eat it ( 2 regular vegetarians, 1 lowcarb vegetarian, and 1 dedicated meateater). It is one of the few dishes we all eat, lol!

So we all love mung bean sprouts that you buy at the supermarket in our stirfry and once many years ago, I figured out you can order meals at some asian restaurants on top of a bed of sauteed mung beans instead of rice or noodles and the flavors are just perfect being as they are used in asian cooking ..

Well, so I invariably go to the market and either they are out of sprouts, or they only have very small highpriced bags, and/or you get the beg home and they go bad in a day or two, so I decided to investigate sprouting my own on the net .. The results were amazing!!!! Despite multiple warnings about how much skinnier they would be, and not look like the supermarket sprouts, I found mine to be very similar in texture and flavor. The big difference being that I could not get all the green skins washed out of the sprouts before using them in cooking.

.. and the true test, no squeals of disgust from my teen or preteen who do not generally put up with my food experimentation, lololol! Later when I have time, I will give more specifics of what I did, the pan I used (a vegetable steamer pan), etc.

FROM THE MARKET .............................. MINE - HOMEMADE
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-30-2012, 05:34 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
That's interesting. The only ones in our little town come in a can and well...ya know, blah!

Keep us posted about this...okie dokie.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 08:51 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/127/<119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/5:2
Start Date: May, 2011
I tried sprouting broccoli last year. Though I love broccoli, the broccoli sprouts had such a strong, unpleasant (to me) flavor that I ended up throwing most of the sprouts away and giving away the rest of the seeds.

That said, I still have my sprouting jar, so I've been thinking about trying something else. I think I'll give this a try. Thanks!
MargD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 06:05 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: tea cup
Stats: 152/127/124? 5'2"
WOE: Low carb, fast 5
Ta Da, I read your comment on the main board about sprouting. I have never entered the vegetarian threads before and frankly didn't realize they existed.

Anyway, I am a sprouter too. I have often wondered if there were others on the LC forum but haven't asked. Right now I have broccoli sprouts in progress. I too love mung bean sprouts. I have also sprouted red clover, peas, daikon radish, and alfalfa.

I think if you post on the main board, we might get more sprouters out from hiding. I doubt many of us meat lovers are checking out the vegetarian posts. lol
tea cup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madge17
WOE: MeatlessLowCarb/LowSodium
Start Date: April 2012
I haven't sprouted seeds in years. After reading this, I'm tempted to try it again, hmmm.... sure would go great in my salads!
Madge17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2012, 03:32 PM   #6

Tea Cup - it is great to meet someone who has done this before .. and often! What are broccoli sprouts like? and where do you get your seeds? I got my mung beans at the regular supermarket in the asian section (I'll post pictures, etc etc soon in here). Are any of the other sprouts you mention good in cooking or are they mostly for raw use??!!

On the other subject ... A post on the main board would be great for the reasons you mention, but it would get moved somewhere else .. like the recipe board or the natural organic board since sprouting seeds/beans wouldn't be on topic for the main board. It is relevant to vegetarians like me since asian-style stirfries have always been vegetarian fare .. especially with tofu, tempeh, or the fake meat products added .. well, and of course salads and sprouts, etc. If you can find another good place to post about sprouting, do let me know -- you should try and start a thread .. I definitely will join in! but it is nice to have a vegetarian-themed one too ...

I just found that mung bean sprouts are also used in Indian cooking (!!!) and have been inspired to try some new Indian vegetarian recipes too .. and maybe make my own paneer cheese .. very exciting stuff!!!!!! lol!!!!!! especially if I can figure out how to do some of it with my crockpot!
Old 06-04-2012, 07:33 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sherril
Stats: 207/188.6/125
WOE: Low-carb lacto-ovo vegetarian
Start Date: 11/09 the first time 2/12 this time
I'm very excited to see you've tried sprouting. I like mung bean sprouts and haven't given them one single thought since I went back to low carb 4 months ago. I'm sitting on the edge of my seat waiting for more information on how it's done!
Sherril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #8
Senior LCF Member

I have some bean sprouts in progress right now. I plan on making Egg Foo Young later this week. Got the recipe from the sproutpeople website.
Old 07-12-2012, 05:33 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

My bean sprouts turned out just okay. I think the house may have been too warm because before they had much size to them, they were already sprouting leaves, so I had to end the process. I didn't think they tasted much like the bean sprouts I'm used to.

I almost didn't make the egg foo young, but I ended up sticking with the original plan, rather than try to figure out what else we could have for dinner tonight (one of my least favorite activities).

The sprouts themselves may not have been great tasting, but they made a very tasty egg foo young!

The recipe from Sproutpeople was simple:

2 T peanut oil
1.5 c finely chopped onion
1.5 c finely chopped red, yellow or orange bell pepper
3 cups mung bean sprouts
4 eggs
Salt

Mix all the ingredients (except the oil) together.
Heat a large pan or wok over high heat for 1 minute.
Add oil and heat until smoking.
Place a large spoonful of the mixture in the hot oil.
flatten gently and brown lightly on both sides.
Repeat - a spoonful or 4 at a time - until done.

I sprinkled some soy sauce on at the table. Yum.
Can't tell you how surprised I was at how much I liked this!
Old 07-13-2012, 02:27 PM   #10

the egg foo yung sounds awesome Marg! I have a batch sprouting right now .. for stirfry later this week but I am so tempted by your recipe, lol! i find the flavor has been very good and they do get to a good size, etc. I keep mine entirely in the dark, wrapped in a wet towel.. kind of hard to explain. I have this interesting pan. The bottom of the pan is normal, and a second pan fits into the top and has holes in it and the lid goes on top of it. I bought it originally to steam vegetables.

I soak the mung beans overnight, rinse in the morning. Then I place a clean dishtowel in the top pan (with holes) and pour the beans on top. I take the dishtowel flaps and place them over the beans (they are wet-ish), and then place the lid top on to it.

Every few hours I uncover the beans, take the faucet and spray water over the beans. I allow the water to drip through and I drain it. I cover the beans back over with the dishtowel and the lid.

Mine do not really grow leaves .. more like the teensy tiny ones in the market. And, mine grow thick like in the market - I think because i make a big point of not disturbing the layer of beans and they grow inside the mass and do not really get exposed at all to light, etc.

just a few thoughts!! I have some pix too that I took last batch and will post when I have a few minutes.

thanks so much for the egg foo yung idea!

Pauline
Old 07-14-2012, 05:08 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Your method sounds interesting and not at all what I did. I used a sprouting jar. It sounds like you bought your pans (for a different purpose) but I can't picture what you're talking about as something I've seen in any store, or even online.

The sproutpeople website demo uses two cups, nested, so it sounds very similar to your method. The top cup has holes in the bottom. I knew I was taking a bit of a chance using a sprouting jar. Everytime I rinsed them they were disturbed, which the sproutpeople (and now, you) say to avoid. I had the jar on it's side.

I bought my sprouting jar late last year and that's around the time I found the sproutpeople website. My impulse was to buy lots of different sprouting tools, but my kitchen is so small and we're actually in the mode of getting rid of stuff so we can list our house soon. I'd like to get into microgreens, but that takes a bit of space, I think.

Here's a photo of the beans. I still have a lot left, even after the EFY. This is my first attempt to attach photos, so I hope it works.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Bean.jpg (50.2 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg SproutJar.jpg (34.7 KB, 5 views)
Old 07-14-2012, 05:02 PM   #12

Marg, it is a random pan I bought at a salvage store years ago and looks like calphalon, but is kind of like this:

I found this one at Amazon. It is the Farberware Classic Stack 'N Steam 3-Quart Saucepot and Steamer for $25 .. My pan is pretty big though .. not sure how it compares to this one. I also saw bamboo steamers online and I think those could be used in a similiar manner, but over a bowl or something to catch any drips, etc ..

After trial and error, I found that 1/3 to 1/2 a cup (maximum!) of raw mung beans makes the right quantity for a single stirfry meal for 3 or 4 people ... My first time I had sprouts coming out my ears, lol!

Your sprouts look pretty ok! the very skinny part at the end is actually a root and since mine are not disturbed they tend to grow root down through the dishtowel and I can kind of cut off extra root, lol! Apparently in asia, they actually hand trim each one!! I also rinse them when they are done and do my best to get out most of the green seed skins ..

Reminds me .. I just spent the day at the beach and should probably go give my batch a look and a rinse!
Old 03-04-2013, 06:40 PM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Merienda
Stats: 145(hw) 140/140/105
WOE: Keto
Start Date: July 2014
I love Mung beean sprouts. This is my all time favorite recipe. The sesame oil make it taste DELISH.

Ingredients (for 2-4 servings):
Mung bean sprouts, salt, garlic, green onion, and sesame oil, soy sauce, hot pepper flakes

Directions:

Wash and drain about 3 cups worth of mung bean sprouts in cold water a couple of times until they’re clean. Pick out any brownish rotten beans.

Put the soybean sprouts into a pot.

Add 2 ts of salt and 1 cup of water. Place a lid on top.

Bring to a boil over high heat, and boil for 15 minutes.

Drain the cooked soybean sprouts and let them cool down.

Put the soybean sprouts in a large bowl with 2 cloves of minced garlic, 2 chopped green onions,1 tbs of soy sauce, 1 ts of salt, 1 tbs of sesame oil, and ˝ to 1 ts of hot pepper flakes.

Mix by hand.
Merienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2013, 06:42 PM   #14
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Merienda
Stats: 145(hw) 140/140/105
WOE: Keto
Start Date: July 2014
If you have a local asian market they sell it already sprouted for DIRT cheap.
Merienda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 10:13 AM   #15
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Anniebook diva
Stats: 258/174/140
WOE: TOPS LC
Start Date: TOPS2009
I love mung bean sprout too!
Allot of the local supermarkets have stopped selling all sprouts because of the ecoli problem. I used to make a chinese cabbage salad with them similar to your recipe Merienda.

I am a vegetarian someday hope to be vegan.

Annie
Anniebook diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 04:58 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Hi Annie,
Welcome to the forum.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote