Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-28-2012, 08:44 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sammykatt
Stats: 186/168.8/150
WOE: I dont even know anymore
Hi!!

So, I'm new! Well new to being a vegetarian, not to low carb.
I just kinda decided I should try being a vegetarian for a month to see how I feel. Lately I feel like I've been losing the taste for meat so I'm just kinda not eating it as much and then forcing myself to eat it since I feel I need to eat it.

Do any of you have some advise or tips you can give me to stick with it?
Sammykatt is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-29-2012, 04:16 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
You don't "need" to eat meat, but it's a choice we have.

There are plenty of meat substitutes these days to get in enough protein.

I mostly don't eat meat. Sometimes I give in to bacon or bacon grease, but nothing else. I lost my taste for meat too and then I found out what all goes into meat, even grass fed, organic, yadda, yadda, yadda and I decided I'd rather extend my life with out all the extra possibilities for diseases. Just my opinion, mind you, I'm not pushing it on anyone.

I know you will figure out what you like to eat for protein and hopefully you love veggies too.

Good luck on your journey.

Welcome to the Vegetarian Forum...even though we aren't all exactly vegetarians, we keep trying to be, so that is what counts.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 07:37 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

I dont plan on eating the "fake" meat at all. I would rather just eat meat then eat something thats been super processed like that.

So far I've just been cooking simple things that I would normally make doing LC, just taking out the meat and adding more veggies or beans in. I made stuffed bell peppers tonight and I'm pretty sure they are the best peppers I've ever made! I guess I should look into so vegetarian recipes for nights when I can't think of what to add. =P
Old 05-30-2012, 04:03 AM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
I love the way you are going about it Sammykatt! The meat subs are great for people who really need help figuring out how to be vegetarians, but it is good to also recognize the real vegetarian staples ..

One thing I use a lot of is nuts!! lots and lots of protein there and so much variety .. pine nuts would be fabulous in many of the Italian or Mediterranean style dishes. In addition to beans, there is also dairy and eggs (if you choose to do them), and then there are other processed vegetarian products that are less processed than the fake meats (like tofu and tempeh - that have maybe 2 or 3 ingredients).

One real find for our family has been quinoa which is a seed that cooks up like a grain and is just delicious and protein-packed .. that would be fabulous in stuffed pepper or as a base for a stirfry, etc. Flax seed too is protein-packed and very tasty!

I always like to remind myself that i generally will get enough protein - as standards were lowered by the FDA - and that on lowcarb I should concern myself mostly with getting the right amount of fat (think: oils, nuts, avocado, etc.)

have fun on this!!!

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 05:30 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Glad to see you back TaDa! I hope all is well now. You have been missed by us.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:38 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sammykatt View Post
I dont plan on eating the "fake" meat at all. I would rather just eat meat then eat something thats been super processed like that.

So far I've just been cooking simple things that I would normally make doing LC, just taking out the meat and adding more veggies or beans in. I made stuffed bell peppers tonight and I'm pretty sure they are the best peppers I've ever made! I guess I should look into so vegetarian recipes for nights when I can't think of what to add. =P
I'd rather open a can of beans, smash them up and make a burger patty with some veggies than touch a beef burger these days. Processed anything is not good for us, but inevitably sometimes it may be the only choice I can find that is vegetarian besides vegetables.

I'd love it if you post some of your high protein meals to help me out.
I am pretty clueless about how to get protein other than cheese and beans and meat substitutes unless you eat grains and they generally aren't low carb. My doc says to cut back on the cheese, so I'm limited there and I don't absolutely love beans, so I only eat them about once a week or else a bean burger.

I'd appreciate any help here.

What did you put in your stuffed peppers?

Last edited by Nigel; 05-30-2012 at 05:40 AM..
Old 05-30-2012, 04:54 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

I LOVE quinoa! I didn't know flax was high in protein. I'll have to get some of that now. I'm trying to like nuts, so far I like cashews and pistachios, and I like pumpkin and sunflower seeds. My BF is slowly getting me to try nuts more often since I have to try them about 10 times before I "like" them =P

How much protein do we actually need? I've always tried to aim for higher since I try to keep my carbs lower but now I just have no idea what I'm doing!

I have decided not to count my carbs for now (at least until I get the hang of cooking vegetarian style) So my carbs have been around the 180-200 mark, which is still fine for me, I dont have issues losing at that, my stomach just feels better when I'm closer to 100g. But for the last 3 days, I havent had ANY stomach issues or anything. I used to always feel so heavy after eating and now I feel light and full of energy! So I hope that stays!

Here's the Recipe I used for the stuffed peppers (* means I changed it and its at the bottom):

Black Bean and Rice Stuffed Peppers

1/4 cup uncooked brown rice*
2 large red or green bell peppers, cut in half and cleaned
2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 onion, chopped*
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 15-oz can black beans, rinsed and drained
1/3 cup corn (frozen or fresh)*
Pinch of cayenne pepper
1/2 Tbsp chili powder
1/2 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp oregano
1 tsp cumin
squeeze of lime juice (optional)
1/3 cup part-skim Mexican blend shredded cheese*
1/4 cup cilantro, roughly chopped*
Directions:
Turn on broiler to 550 F. Place halved and cleaned bell peppers on a baking sheet lined with foil or parchment, face down. Broil for 4-6 minutes, until blackened. Place in airtight container or ziplock bag and let sit for 10 minutes. When cool enough to handle, peel off skin.
Meanwhile, cook rice according to package directions.
Preheat oven to 375 F.
Heat olive oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add onion and cook until tender, about 3 minutes. Add garlic and cook 30 seconds. Stir in beans and reduce heat to low. Stir in cooked rice, corn, and all seasonings and lime juice, if using. Warm through 1-2 minutes.
Return pepper halves to the lined baking sheet. Stuff each pepper half with rice and bean mixture. Top with cheese and bake about 12-15 minutes. Garnish with cilantro. Top with a dollop of plain Greek yogurt, if desired. Serve immediately.

I used regular white rice since I don't like brown rice and I didn't have any quinoa.
I used a cup of frozen chopped onions (I chop onions like once a month and freeze them since I hate cutting them)
I think I used about a 1/2 cup of frozen corn since I didn't feel like finding the 1/3 cup!
I put 1/4 cup of cheese on the top of each pepper half, full fat of course!
I forgot to buy cilantro at the store so I just put half an avocado on mine! =P

Mine ended up being about 288 cals, 40 carbs, 7 fiber, 13 protein, 11 fat, and 333 sodium.
159 158 157 156 155 154 153 152 151 150
Old 05-30-2012, 05:04 PM   #8

Here's some info on protein levels .. very easy to get enough on lowcarb (well under 100 net carbs). hth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
..... I did a talk on vegetarian protein needs to a group I belong to and the US has changed its minimums on required protein for good health - you meet those Sherrill. Here is part of the handout I wrote up for them. The entire thing was written for non-lowcarbers and can be found here: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/we...l#post13553070 (post #1154 and $1156)

How To Get a Little Vegetarian into Your Diet …

VEGETARIAN PROTEINS
Nuts and Seeds – Almonds, Sunflower Seeds, Peanut Butter (technically a legume)
Dairy – Eggs, Cheese, Yogurt, Milk, Whey protein powder (and shakes)*
Beans – Lentils, Chickpeas, Beans of all kinds, Hummus Spread
Grains – Bread, Rice, Wheat Seitan (a/k/a “Wheat Meat”)*
Soy and Vegetable Protein –Veggieburgers, Soy Crumbles, Tofu*, Tempeh,* Textured Vegetable Protein (TVP)*

RECOMMENDED PROTEIN LEVELS
Based on the “Reference Nutrient Intakes for Protein” which replaced the RDA

Women (age 15-49) ~45 gm
Women (age 50+) ~50 gm
Women (pregnant) 51 gm
Women (lactating) 53-56 gm

Men (age 15-49) ~55 gm
Men (age 50+) ~53 gm

Children (age 7-10) ~28 gm
Children (age 11-14) ~42 gm

VEGETARIAN PROTEIN VALUES

Soy, Nuts, Beans
Almonds (1/4c) 6 gm
Peanut Butter (2T) 8 gm
Veggieburger 15 gm
Red Beans (1 cup) 12 gm
Hummus (1/4 cup) 4 gm

Weird Vegetarian Proteins*
Soy Tofu (4 oz) 10 gm
Soy Tempeh (4 oz) 16 gm
Wheat Seitan (4 oz) 23 gm
Quorn (4 oz) 23 gm
Soy TVP (1/4c) 12 gm

Grains
Special K Cereal (1 cup) 6 gm
Whole Wheat Bread (2 slices) 8 gm
White Bread (2 slices) 4 gm
Rice (1 cup) 4-5 gm
Pasta (2 oz dry/sm bowl cooked) 7-8 gm

Dairy
Milk – all kinds (1 cup) 8 gm
Yogurt (1 cup/8 oz) 12 gm
American Cheese (slice) 4 gm
Cheddar Cheese (grated 1/4 c) 7 gm
Eggs (2 large) 12 gm
Egg Whites (2 large) 8 gm

Veggies
Broccoli (1 cup chopped cooked) 6 gm
Peas (1 cup) ~8 gm
Spinach (a salad bag) 6 gm
Corn (1 ear) 4.5 gm
Old 05-31-2012, 07:01 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the pepper recipe and thanks TaDa! for the protein info.

I have tried different varieties of brown rice and some of them are much better than others. I like jasmine brown rice better than the plain. I'll have to check and see what kind I have now that tastes pretty good. I'll let you know in case you decide to try brown rice again. It's so much better for you than white rice, but in all honesty, I like white rice better.

When I first started incorporating brown rice into my diet, I used half white and half brown and then I found some brand that I liked okay and it's even good as breakfast cereal. Of course we all have different taste buds, so I don't know if anyone else would like it or not.
Old 05-31-2012, 07:58 PM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Thank you TaDa! I'm getting a little more than I need every night so thats good. I seem to get around 60g-75g a day.

You're welcome Nigel! I had the last one for dinner tonight. I have to make those again =D

I dont know why i never thought of mixing the two. I would probably like it much better that way!

So the only thing I can seem to think of for dinner is casseroles and stuff. What are some of the dinners you make?
Old 06-01-2012, 03:31 AM   #11

Sammy I would have been very surprised if you got less than the new standard for protein! Honestly I think it is a non-issue for vegetarians and vegans nowadays with the new guidelines and really the only important stat to keep an eye on (from health point of view) is vitamin intake .. B12, iron, calcium and D, etc.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:56 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

I've been taking a multivitamin everyday so that shouldn't be too bad. And since I don't have a TOM I don't ever need extra iron, but I do take extra calcium since my BC depletes my calcium (or something like that)

I really thought I would be missing meat by now! I'm also down 2 pounds already (I know its just water weight but still!!)
Old 06-04-2012, 01:45 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madge17
WOE: MeatlessLowCarb/LowSodium
Start Date: April 2012
Sammykatt !
Quote:
So the only thing I can seem to think of for dinner is casseroles and stuff. What are some of the dinners you make?
I'm one who rarely makes casseroles, esp. for myself. I tend to eat what is usually considered "side dishes" along with a protein for dinner or large salads with a protein (doesn't have to be part of the salad but often can as with cheese, hard-boiled eggs and nuts ). I use eggs, cheese, yoghurt, peanut butter, nuts, cottage cheese, tofu, edamame beans and protein powders as my main protein sources. The only protein I have to fuss with is the tofu, and then I'm usually eating it for several days with various veggies on the side. I try to keep some hard-boiled eggs in the fridge for quick snacks too. HTH's a little

I've been experimenting with tofu and sauteed veggies in LC wraps, but haven't found a taste combination I'm happy with yet. I may try black soybeans next time - makes more sense in a tortilla wrap.
Madge17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 07:52 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

thank you!

How do you cook your tofu? I've tried it a bunch of times a couple years ago and hated it. I bought the extra firm kind last week and tried to make stir fry with it, but just ended up eating the veggie since I didn't like the texture of it.
Old 06-07-2012, 04:07 AM   #15

Sammykatt .. What I do for stirfried tofu ..

1. Buy the firm or extra firm tofu

2. Press the tofu to get the water out ..

I place mine on a plate in the sink with a second small plate on top, then weight it down with something heavy like cans of soup. Some people place t in the fridge and wait a specified amount of time, but I don't .. half an hour or something like that will do - you will see a bunch of water come out and it will look somewhat compressed.

3. Cut the tofu into 1/2 inch cubes.

4. Heat a pan with a good amount of flavorful oil, like olive or peanut oil. A few shakes of sesame oil also helps with flavoring. And I always always sprinkle it with garlic salt, lol!

5. Fry the tofu in the oil until browned on all sides.

6. Add it to the stirfried vegetables (it should be cooked separately first or it will end up mushier) and use a good quality, tasty sauce on the whole thing.

All that said, tofu is an acquired taste - although my kids who have grown up eating are big big fans and, lol still complain about mushrooms and the usual kid-hated foods, lol. hth!
Old 06-07-2012, 07:33 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sherril
Stats: 207/188.6/125
WOE: Low-carb lacto-ovo vegetarian
Start Date: 11/09 the first time 2/12 this time
I love black soybeans. Put in salads, casseroles, soups, etc. That along with eggs, and lots and lots of veggies, we eat enough protein. The problem with the way Americans eat is that they get too much protein, which leaches calcium from the body.
Sherril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 03:45 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Oh!!! I totally want to go get more tofu and try that now! I had gotten the extra firm kind and cooked my veggies and then I cooked the tofu separate but it was so nasty mushy I couldn't eat it. It said nothing about getting the water out on the package.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:14 AM   #18
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madge17
WOE: MeatlessLowCarb/LowSodium
Start Date: April 2012
Sammykatt,
I do pretty much the same as TaDa, except that I wrap mine in paper towels before placing in a colander in the fridge and if I'm using a sauce, I add it to marinate a little before frying. I'm going to try TaDa's method of frying first, then saucing and see if it tastes better.

Some brands of Tofu are better tasting than others too. Out of all the brands I've tried, I like Nasoya the best, but everyone taste buds are different. The best-tasting tofu I've ever had was made fresh, but it's much too labor intensive to make a batch for one person (and I wasn't that found of freezing the crumbles), especially when it's so readily available these days.
Madge17 is offline   Reply With Quote