Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2012, 09:39 AM   #1

Stats: 187/179/150
WOE: Lower carb vegan
Start Date: May 2012
A vegan recipe a day ( keeps the doctor away ! )

GRILLED SPICY TOFU WITH GREEN BEANS :

15 oz. light extra firm tofu
5 Tbs. low-sodium soy sauce
2 Tbs. mirin, rice wine, or sake
1 tsp. rice vinegar
1 tsp. chili paste with garlic
2 cloves garlic, minced
2 C arugula
1 lb. green beans, trimmed
1 onion, halved and cut into slivers
Prepare med.-hot charcoal fire, or preheat gas grill, or broiler.
Wrap tofu in paper towels, and squeeze gently to remove excess water. Pat dry. Slice into 3 pieces horizontally, cut each piece in half. Set aside.
Mix together soy sauce, mirin, vinegar, chili paste and garlic in 9X13 glass baking dish. Add tofu, turn to coat and let sit for at least 15 min.
Spray tofu with cooking spray on all side and grill until browned and crusty, 3-4 min. per side. Arrange arugula on large serving platter, then arrange grilled tofu on top.
Meanwhile, add green beans and onion to remaining vinaigrette, and toss to coat. Grill beans and onion on perforated rack, stirring frequently, until beans are tender and browned, 8-10min. Arrange beans on top of tofu. pour any remaining vinaigrette on salad and serve.
VeryVeganVictoria is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-07-2012, 12:55 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
This sounds good. I haven't ever tried tofu, but I bought some. Thank you for the recipe.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2012, 07:06 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

We are waiting for your next recipe.
Old 05-18-2012, 06:23 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madge17
WOE: MeatlessLowCarb/LowSodium
Start Date: April 2012
That recipe does sound good! Hard to believe after all these years I've never tried grilling tofu. Thanks for the recipe and suggestion to grill it.
Madge17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 09:43 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
I am a tofu addict!!! lol! Great thread! I am sooooo boring .. usually just stirfries .. and one spinach tofu pie .. my kids grew up eating it and will eat raw cubes when i am not looking and trying to cook, lol ..

I have also been enjoying quinoa lately, speaking of vegan proteins! I must try some of these. Thanks so much for posting!

Pauline
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:24 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

the Tofu recipes are inspiring me to give it a try. Thanks for posting.
Old 06-01-2012, 04:19 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/106/105 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
I'm hoping for another recipe also!! I used to bake my tofu......but I pan "fried" it with gf soy sauce last night. (To hot to turn the oven on)

Anyway it was really good.

I need to get some of the ingredients to make the first recipe.

Thanks VVV for posting it.

Anna
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2012, 05:35 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
I developed this recipe some time ago when I was trying to do "Vegan mondays" lol ... it is my own vegan version of a flax muffin recipe .. really love it:

Pauline's Vegan Flax Muffins - makes 12

Dry Ingredients:
3 cups ground flax
3/4 cup oat fiber
2 t. baking powder
2 t. baking soda
3 T. cinnamon

Wet ingredients
3/4 cup coconut oil
1 t. liquid splenda (or: 48 drops)
2 1/2 cups boiling water

Other items
Pam Spray
12 muffin pan
glass measuring cup

Preheat the oven to 400 degrees. Grease the muffin tin with pam spray (for ease of use!). Set water to boil in your kettle.

Measure out all the dry ingredients into a large bowl. Mix well and put it aside.

Measure the 3/4 cup of coconut oil out into a glass measuring cup. If it is not liquid, place in the microwave in 45 second intervals until liquid. Once this is done, add the liquid splenda to the coconut oil. Pour the liquid into the dry mixture. Before you mix, quickly add the 2 1/2 cups of boiling water to the bowl.

Mix very well! Use the mixture to fill the muffin tin and place in the oven (400 degrees) for 15 minutes. Once cooled, the muffins will slip right out! The muffin texture is more moist than the traditional minute muffin, somewhere between the minute muffin and a brownie!

Not vegan .. but I like mine with whipped cream .. there are vegan recipes for whipped coconut cream that would probably be amazing on this too!
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 05:27 PM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: vjsibley
WOE: dont have a clue, in research mode.
Hello, I have a vegan question, I am trying to make a black bean burger recipe of mine into a vegan Buddhist monk friendly dish, and let me tell you this is tough! They can't eat onions,garlic ,or eggs. So I think I have the spice thing on lock down, but what the heck do I use for the egg? The egg binds it all together. The city I live in has no whole foods or the like store. Any suggestions? Thanks in advance!
vjsibley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2012, 09:37 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I would suggest chia or tofu. chia does help bind things together if you make it into the chia gel first.

If you surf the net, you can find recipes for egg substitutes. If you don't find any, let me know and I will look for you, ok.
Old 09-17-2012, 04:31 AM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Yea I knew about the chia and flaxseed gel, but currently I don't have a clue where to buy them. I'm in a new city and haven't quite got my bearings. I didn't know about tofu though. What's the ratio? The recipe im trying to convert is a my version of the quinoa black bean burger found on allrecipes.com. I tried to wing it, but it was pretty gross, reminded me of crispy cardboard. It's tough not cooking with garlic or onions! Maybe I should scratch the conversion and find a straight up vegan black bean burger recipe. Anyone have a good one to share? I looked online and most just don't sound appealing or the base just isn't vegan.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:07 AM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I found this recipe and I have not tried it...I don't know what holds it together unless its the food proccessing and baking.

Vegan Bean Burgers
Ingredients: (makes 6 burgers)
  • 2 cans black beans (rinsed and drained)
  • 2 carrots, grated
  • 1/2 cup dry rolled oats
  • 1/4 cup pepitas (pumpkin seeds)
  • 1 tbsp olive oil
  • 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 1/2 tsp cumin
  • 1/2 tsp coriander
  • 1/2 tsp chili powder
  • 1/2 tsp onion powder
  • 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
  • 1 tsp sea salt
  • 1/4 tsp black pepper
To Prepare: Preheat oven to 300 degrees. Next, add the oats and pepitas to your food processor and grind until coarsely chopped (they will still be a little chunky). Let it run for roughly 10 seconds. Grate the carrots, and then add to your mixture in the food processor. Add 3/4 of the beans, all spices, and the olive oil. Once all of this is in the food processor, give it a whir and mix it all together.
Spoon mixture into a mixing bowl and then fold in the rest of the whole, reserved beans. Wet your hands and then form into 6 medium sized patties. Place patties on a non-stick baking sheet or into a baking pan, and bake at 300 degrees for 40 minutes, turning once in the middle. If you want to grill these, pre-bake them for 30 minutes at 300, and then throw them on the grill to reheat and get a little extra browning.
Old 09-17-2012, 09:20 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Oh,that looks good! And only a small amount of onion powder so I can just omit that! Oh, thanks so much! I'll give this a try after work Wednesday. I'll post a review. Thank you so much!
Old 09-18-2012, 07:47 AM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have to omit the garlic from any recipes as I'm allergic to it.
Old 09-21-2012, 09:37 AM   #15
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi vjsibley,
I just read that you can use 1/3 cup of pureed pumpkin as an egg substitute, so that's a thought if you need it in the future.
Old 09-25-2012, 12:52 PM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sissiesue
Stats: 173/129/129
Start Date: September 27, 2010
Tofu Scramble

Tofu scramble (adapted from "Tofu Scrambled Eggs" in Simply Heavenly: The Monastery Vegetarian [Vegan] Cookbook)

Serves 2. Per serving: Cal = 327; Fat = 23g; Pro = 21g; Carbs = 9g; Fiber = 5g; NET CARBS = 4g

I had this for breakfast. It was tasty! I weigh my ingredients when I cook (my electronic food scale is my best friend in the kitchen), and I've just reproduced the amounts I used below. You can adapt as you see fit!

2 TBS coconut oil
33 grams chopped onion (about 3TBS or so)
2 serrano peppers, chopped (about 14 grams)
102 grams sliced mushrooms (about 1/2 cup or so)
1/2 TBS soy sauce
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1 drop liquid smoke
1 TBS nutritional yeast [NOT brewer's yeast -- they are different]

12 oz. extra firm tofu, crumbled (I used House Foods Premium Extra Firm)

Put everything but the tofu in a skillet and heat over medium heat, stirring well. Add the tofu and break it up with your spatula, fork, etc. Mix until all seasonings are evenly distributed. Cook until the water in the tofu evaporates and the mixture resembles scrambled eggs.

Last edited by Sissiesue; 09-25-2012 at 12:55 PM..
Sissiesue is offline   Reply With Quote