Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vegetarian (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/)
-   -   Grilled Asparagus Salad - Diabetic Friendly (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/768153-grilled-asparagus-salad-diabetic-friendly.html)

Nigel 04-17-2012 01:17 PM

Grilled Asparagus Salad - Diabetic Friendly

Grilled Asparagus Salad = 4 servings

1 pound Asparagus, tough ends removed
2 tablespoons Olive oil
1/2 teaspoon Kosher salt
1/4 teaspoon Coarsely ground black pepper
1 1/2 tablespoons Lemon juice
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
1/2 cup Red onion, diced
1 cup California Black Ripe Olives, whole, pitted
2 tablespoons Parmesan cheese, grated

Toss asparagus spears with 1 tablespoon olive oil in mixing bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Grill over medium-high heat for 5 to 7 minutes*, turning to brown evenly. Reserve mixing bowl for dressing.
While asparagus is cooking whisk together remaining oil, lemon juice and mustard in reserved bowl. Toss in red onions and set aside.
Toss cooked asparagus with vinaigrette and California Ripe Olives. Transfer to serving plates and top with cheese.

***I made this today and it was soooo good. I generally just eat steamed or roasted asparagus with butter and salt, but this was a nice change. ***

imstarryeyed 04-17-2012 08:44 PM

Sounds really yummy. I'll have to try it sometime.

Sherril 04-19-2012 07:38 PM

Nigel, sounds great (without the olives, I hate them). Maybe add some sauteed mushrooms instead. I have some asparagus in the fridge right now that I need to use up.

Nigel 04-20-2012 11:18 AM

Thanks imstarryeyed and Sherril. Mushrooms would be great in the salad as well. Thanks for the idea. I'll probably add them next time. I found the recipe on the Lindsay olive site, hence the olives...but it was such a good salad, it could be tweaked in many ways. Let me know if you try it, ok.

VeryVeganVictoria 05-06-2012 05:41 PM

Sounds divine, I would only have to omit the cheese, but the rest sounds fab !

I must admit, I have only very recently discovered asparagus, and I am not much of a cook, so I just normally steam it gently, then sprinkle with sea salt and Earth Balance vegan butter and it tastes lovely.

Nigel 05-06-2012 05:57 PM

It's also good if you sqeeze some fresh lemon juice over it after cooking it. It gives it a nice kick.

VeryVeganVictoria 05-06-2012 06:14 PM

Thanks for the tip ! I have really been getting into fresh lemon and lime juice in the past few months.

I make my own dressing with the juice of a lime or lemon mixed in a bowl with some dehydrated onions, chili pepper, Mrs Dash lime fiesta, a teaspoon of evoo, I toss it over my raw cut up veggies, then add the sea salt.

Nothing fancy, I suck at cooking, but tastes scrummy just the same. :-)

Nigel 05-06-2012 07:34 PM

Your salad dressing sounds good. I'm usually lazy and just put some olive oil, red wine vinegar and italian spices and shake it up and call it good. But I'll try your version next salad. I love using Mrs. Dash Original on steamed yellow squash too. I use the steam bags for the microwave and in 5 minutes, my veggies are just right.

Do you have any more recipes to share? I'm always looking for new recipes and ideas.

Sherril 05-07-2012 07:13 PM

Most veggies, including asparagus take on a magical sweetness when roasted. It's my favorite way to cook a veggie.

buttoni 05-21-2012 07:36 AM

Oh, my, this sounds good Nigel. I missed this post somehow. Would like to try this. I love anything grilled; hubby never met a salad he didn't like. :)

Nigel 05-21-2012 11:20 PM

Thanks buttoni. We really like this salad too.