Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 02:17 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madge17
WOE: MeatlessLowCarb/LowSodium
Start Date: April 2012
Hi, I'm new here :)

A friend from another board told me about this lowcarb veggie group - I think I'm starting to drive them nuts with my low-carb questions. lol I've been trying to eliminate carbs on my own for the past 2 weeks, but not all that successfully. I now have a low-carb veggie book but hope to learn a lot more here. I'm not a spring chick anymore and I know that any weight-loss will benefit my health immensely. I'm excited and a little afraid at the same time of this diet. lol I'm having the biggest problem with getting myself to add the fats and eliminate the carbs. There is so much information here I don't know where to start! I plan on doing the low-carb vegetarian diet, so I'm posting here first and would like to join your group.

Madge17
Madge17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2012, 03:48 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel

Sometimes it gets lonely around here, so please come and post often.
Good luck with your weight loss program.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 04:21 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imstarryeyed
WOE: lacto ovo pesco vegetarian low carb
Start Date: April 12, 2012
Hi, Madge! I'm new too. Welcome! I've found a lot of good info here. Do post often as Nigel said. The support from others is so helpful.

gloria
imstarryeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 07:37 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sherril
Stats: 207/188.6/125
WOE: Low-carb lacto-ovo vegetarian
Start Date: 11/09 the first time 2/12 this time
Hey Madge! Are you who I think you are?
Sherril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:30 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Hello Nigel and Starry, thanks for the welcome!

Sherril, Yes, I think I am, who you think I am. LOL This board is huge and the people seem awfully nice from many of the posts I've read! I'm slowly starting to find my way around.
------------------------
First question, is there an abbreviation list somewhere? I've been trying to figure out what WOE means for starters. lol

Yesterday was my hungriest day yet. I was eating everything in site that I thought wouldn't be too high carb. The day before was the first day I was under 20gr of carb for the entire day. I'm wondering if that was the trigger? I topped yesterday off with a bedtime snack of at least 1/2 cup PB right out of the jar.: sad: I was down a lb. and this morning I was up 3.5.

I managed to find Splenda and finally got some eggs yesterday (11), so maybe today will be better. I wanted to make some Cheese cake muffins and now I can't find that particular thread. Perhaps that's good, because I just read something about certain foods not being good for induction, like yoghurt for instance. I need to get back to reading the book - I'm looking at Atkins induction posts which may or may not relate to vegetarian induction.

I never knew there were so many different diets out there, let alone low-carb ones! Thanks for pointing me in this direction! Love all this cute little smilies too!
Old 04-15-2012, 11:39 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I have a hard time figuring out the abbreviations too. A lot of times I google them. WOE stands for Way Of Eating. I do know that one.

I think the cheesecake muffin is called the one minute muffin and it's made in the microwave. I don't have a lot of luck with the search on here, but I'll give it a shot for you.

Well, I found these on the atkins site and the first one is induction friendly.

Atkins Cheesecake Muffins (Induction Friendly)
2 (8 oz.) cream cheese
½ c. granular splenda or (1/4 cup [COLOR=#0066cc]davinci's[/COLOR] syrup and a tsp. [COLOR=#0066cc]Fiberfit[/COLOR] - for 0 carbs)
2 eggs
½ tsp. vanilla or preferred flavoring
Soften cream cheese about 30 seconds in the microwave. Add the rest of the ingredients. Beat with mixer until smooth. Pour the batter into 12 muffin tins that have been sprayed with a non-stick spray. Muffin papers sprayed with non-stick spray can also be used for easy removal. Bake at 350˚ for 20 minutes.
Carb Count: (if using granulated splenda)
Total Recipe: 26 carbs
Per Muffin: 2 carbs
Carb Count: (if using DaVinci and Fiberfit)
Total Recipe: 14 carbs
Per Muffin: 1 carb WOW!!
One carb per muffin seems too good to be true, but it is true. These are a terrific breakfast muffin and can be tweaked for a variety of flavors. During induction, use DaVinci syrups in a variety of flavors for a delicious change of pace. Here are a few examples for adding variety to the Atkins muffins:
¼ c. coconut DaVinci and 1 tsp. coconut extract
¼ c. coconut DaVinci with 1 tsp. pineapple extract (tastes like Pina Colada)
¼ c. Hazelnut DaVinci with a sprinkle of cinnamon
¼ c. Eggnog DaVinci with a sprinkle of nutmeg on top before baking (This is wonderful for Thanksgiving or the Christmas Holidays.)
Once induction is over, this recipe can be adapted to OWL (ongoing weight loss). Here is one variation for after induction:
Atkins Pumpkin Cheesecake Muffins
2 (8 oz.) of cream cheese
1 can pumpkin
1/4 c. granulated [COLOR=#0066cc]Splenda[/COLOR] or 1 tsp. Fiberfit (liquid Splenda)
1/4 c. [COLOR=#0066cc]Davinci[/COLOR] praline or hazelnut syrup
1/4 c. sour cream
3 eggs
1 tsp. cinnamon
1/2 tsp. ginger
1/4 tsp. cloves
Mix together according to the basic cheesecake muffin recipe. Put about 1 tsp. almond flour (ground almonds) in the bottom of the paper muffin cups. Bake at 350 for 20 minutes and leave in oven with the door open until cooled. Take them out of the muffin papers and refrigerate. If you like pumpkin pie, you will love this recipe.
24 muffins at 2 carbs per muffin
Hope you enjoy these Atkins cheesecake muffins. They really break up the monotony of the Atkins Induction Phase.

If these don't work for you, maybe do another search. Today wasn't my lucky day on here.

Last edited by Nigel; 04-15-2012 at 11:42 AM..
Old 04-15-2012, 12:26 PM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Wow, thank you Nigel! Now I know which other ingredients I need to purchase.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:22 AM   #8
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Hi Madge and welcome!

it is great that you have jumped into this and are working it! My advice though is to look through some books and pick a plan to follow.

I do think something like an induction is a good place to start, by clearing foods out of your menu that are not helpful at the beginning (that includes sticking to only induction ingredients for recipes). Books I recommend as a starting point for vegetarian lowcarb:

The New Atkins For A New You by Dr. Eric C. Westman, Dr. Stephen D. Phinney, and Dr. Jeff S. Volek ****I like this New Atkins one the best right now for a starting point
The Vegetarian Low-Carb Diet Rose Elliott

I have written a lot of information on vegetarian lowcarb here:

How To LOWCARB As a Vegetarian (Some Basics for LC Veg in General and Atkins)

hth!

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 10:54 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Thanks for the welcome TaDa!
I haven't seen the Atkins book, but I have been reading the Rose Elliot book that was suggested to me by Sherril. I've also read your Basics to Veggie LowCarb pages, and that gave me a start. I still find keeping track of carbs (and keeping them under 20mg) quite daunting! I think I'm eating more nuts, PB and cheese than I should be, probably avocado too (and at least 10 other foods I'm sure). It's like there are carbs in practically everything unless you're eating animal by-products or fat!

I'm also struggling to estimate the amount of carbs in the portions of many foods I have. Examples: a serving size of avocado is 1/5 slice and the carbs, fat and protein are given for 1/5 of an avocado, and I'm eating 1/2 avocado in my salad. Same goes for for nuts or anything that lists 2.5 or 3.5 servings per bag. Is there an easier way to do this, like a site where you can put in the value of the amount and type of food you ate and then calculate the carbs, etc. for that food or do I need to keep trying to do the math on my own?

I've been a high-carb person for longer than I can remember and have the low-fat indoctrination to boot, so low-carb and higher fat and protein is strange, new territory for me! I've been on a semi-induction for a few weeks now, but I don't think any real progress has been made, except I've stayed away from the junk carbs. I've slowly gathered a few foods I need and will be making a trip next week where I hope to get a lot more of the induction-type foods, so perhaps it will get a little easier then.

I also have to say that I eat a heck of a lot more in a day than most of you do, from what I've been reading. How do you all do it - 3 meals and a snack? I tend to graze all day in between meals, another habit I'm going to have to break. I've been trying to keep a food diary and I'm very surprised at how much I'm eating, even w/o having an accurate count of carbs, fats, protein, etc. Low-carb eating does take some getting used to at first, doesn't it?
Old 04-21-2012, 05:41 AM   #10

Madge I eat like 5 times a day - so my meals as far as the fat and protein content have been smaller. I make up the difference with really large portions of very very lc veggies - spinach, cabbage, broccoli or cauliflower, so my plate is very large at meals. I need to see a full plate or I feel like I am on prison rations - even though that is the size meal for someone of my new size and while I was losing weight, yanno? You have to come to a place where you can cope with your new way of eating somehow - and we each are different on that score.

At the moment I like livestrong.com as my food logging software, generally you can go in and find the foods you need, with calories and carbs and it keeps track of your entire day if you like. Others I know of: ******.com, myfatsecret.com, ***********.com, ************.com and I am sure there are others.

As far as food quantity - are you seeing any results on the scale? As long as you have some weightloss every **month** you do not have to worry about food quantity at all - or what other people are doing, honestly!!!

Also if you are getting results with the foods you are eating do not stress it at all. I just pulled out Rose Elliott - and if you are doing the first two week "Carb Cleanse" she does indicate 20 net carbs with the foods you mention. New Atkins For A new You talks about 25-30 net carbs as a starting point for vegetarians .. but honestly anywhere in that vicinity is going to have great results for you .. and if you are keeping it around 20 net gms, you will find your appetite will get reduced over the first few weeks - that is the whole concept of lowcarb - that eating very low carbs essentially ends up reducing your caloric intake through appetite suppression. Really at first, that is all you should concern yourself with .. getting to that point!

On Atkins they limit all those foods you mention in a different way than Rose Elliott does, cheese is like 3-4 oz a day, measured nuts on the introductory phase (for vegetarians only), no peanuts or peanut butter until later in the program (they are legumes and different than nuts), avocado is limited to a half per day I think), etc. I think it is easy to overdo it on cheese and nuts and if you are feeling that way, maybe try to add in some tofu, eggs or veggieburgers for one or two of your meals .. but again, if you are getting results and you are measuring your foods for carb count, do not sweat it!

Do not worry that other people eat only 3 squares a day - you have to mold this program to your own needs if you are to succeed and do this longterm. Build in some snacks maybe so you are not grazing all day ...

You'll figure it out!!!

Pauline

Last edited by TaDa!; 04-21-2012 at 05:42 AM..
Old 04-21-2012, 10:43 AM   #11
Senior LCF Member

Thanks I am *definitely* still feeling my way around this new type of eating. Yesterday was a tough day, I wanted to snack on something all day. So far today is good, but the day is still very young. lol I'm trying to not get too down on myself until I have more of the proper foods in place. I'm very well-stocked with vegetarian foods, the problem is that most are too high in carbs - my veggieburgers and imitation chicken patties have too many carbs, as do my frozen meals, and of course, my home is filled with whole wheat pastas, beans, cereal, brown rice and fruit (Well, only bananas and about a dozen oranges now). I'm a big milk drinker and one of my favorite foods to eat at least once a day was PB&J on whole wheat bread with a 12 oz. glass of milk. I relied mostly on milk, PB, low-fat cheeses, yoghurt and beans, clif bars and edamame for my proteins. Looks like I'll have to add more tofu and eggs - I've been eating eggs like mad over the past couple weeks! I fear that eating several eggs daily is not good for my cholestrol. I'm supposed to eat only 2-3 per week.

Thanks for the carb counting websites. I've looked at ******, but they really don't show you *how* their system actually works until you subscribe, so I'm going to look at the others before I pick one. At this stage I don't need the exercise part, only a really clear "what I ate = so many carbs, proteins, fats etc." that can give me the figures after I plug in the amounts. Kind of like a recipe site where it recalculates the ingredient amounts for how many servings you want to make.

I haven't yet read your 3 linked stories, but I plan to! I'm sure theywill be informative and inspiring.

I will be going to a Whole Foods store mid-week, so if there are specialty items for me to have, please list some to add to my shopping list. We only make the trip every 5-6 weeks and I missed the last one. Also, is Kefir ok? I usually purchase several quarts to tide me over until my next trip, but no sense wasting money - I try to purchase organics so the $$ do add up quickly. Thanks again.

Last edited by Madge17; 04-21-2012 at 10:51 AM.. Reason: adding another thought
Old 04-21-2012, 10:50 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

double-posted "added thought" lol

Last edited by Madge17; 04-21-2012 at 10:53 AM.. Reason: I'm not quite used to posting on this message board yet, sorry
Old 04-21-2012, 08:24 PM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Madge, giving up milk was soooo hard for me. I would limit myself to 1/4 cup every other day when I did low carb two years ago. Now I'm happy to have 1/2 cup Hoods Chocolate Milk mixed with 1 cup almond milk every morning. It takes my milk craving away. Hood's calorie countdown also has a regular milk that's very low carb but I don't think it tastes very good compared to the chocolate flavor. I only have 1/2 cup because the whole cup is 4 carbs.

My husband loves kifer, but it has lots of added sugar so you'll probably want to save your money on that. When you're at whole foods, pick up several cans of black soybeans. I know they have it. It has to say black SOYBEANS, not black beans. They are very filling because they have a ton of fiber and lots of protein too. Use them to replace the beans in your normal recipes. There is a bit of a taste difference, but you'll get used to them soon enough. Good luck and I'm glad you've joined us over here!
Old 04-21-2012, 10:24 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

Wow, Starry, 11 lbs in 10 days is nothing short of a miracle! I'm trying to remember to take my statins at night so I won't sweat the eggs, cheese and other high-fats too much.

You seem to have your portions controlled much better than I'm doing - probably why this hasn't been working very well for me yet. I have a problem with edema and take meds for it, so my weight fluctuates day to day from 2-5 lbs. depending on what I eat and how much sodium I have. Another reason I may not see a larger fluid loss in the beginning like some do - my fluid is all out by 10 or 11 a.m.

I can see my PB and nuts are out of control - maybe I should just elimate them through the first two weeks since they're both trigger foods. I was doing better with snacking at night with broccoli, cauliflower and baby carrots w/ dill dip - I should probably stick to that. Thanks and keep up the good work Your initial weight drop is very inspiring to me.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:09 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Hi Sherril, ah, another milk addict. It's what I drink (drank) most, next to water and coffee. I'm trying to get back into my teas again. Giving juice up is hard for me too. I never was a big soda drinker, can or two a week and they were one of the few actual "sugar free" items I would use. I've never seen or heard of Hoods choc milk - I'll look for it at WF's next week, along with the soy and almond milks. Is the almond milk boxed? I don't think I've ever seen it in the cooler, but then again I haven't looked for it before. I know I'll be picking up more Protein powder. I may experiment with some flavors, since I typically purchase vanilla and add fruit.

Yes, the fruit-flavored Kefir *would* have sugars wouldn't it....perhaps the plain one would be ok - I'll have to check that too. I will definitely pick up more black soybeans this week. I have only one can left, along with several black, garbanzo, baked, white, and pinto beans! lol

I'm comparing the carbs, fat and protein from the cans of black beans vs. black soybeans in front of me and there is quite a difference! The black soy has 11 gr protein, 6 gr fat, and 8 gr total carb with 7 in fiber and 120 cal as compared to regular black beans which have 6 gr of protein, o gr of fat, 19 gr carbs, with 5 fiber carbs and 100 cal per serving. And my black soybeans have no added salt, which is a bonus for me. This brand soy is Edens Organic, but I've purchased the 365 brand too, I'm pretty sure. It's a pity I can't garden now, I used to grow my own black soybeans and edamame too. I love the taste of black soybeans, but not the regular tan soybeans for tofu making. I see you posted a recipe, I'm going to copy it and give it a try. Actually, I have a couple for cold bean salads recipes too, so I'm going to compare mine to yours and see how they stack up. One has some corn I know, so that part won't work, but I can't remember what else is in them. One was kind of like a soybean, salsa medley if I remember correctly - but I haven't made it in a long time.

I purchased two heads of cauliflower today and want to try some cream of cauliflower soup. I imagine there's some recipe's I can compare the one I have to and see if it will be lc enough. I'm glad I joined here too. I never thought I'd find a lc vegetarian diet until I saw your posts. If this works I will be forever grateful to everyone! Thanks

I've never tried any of the meatless sausages or tofurky. I know for a fact I do not like the Quorn mushroom fungi burgers. I'll eat the Boca All-American grillers (non-GMO) though and they seem low carb enough to work, and I have some veggie meatballs, but I'm not sure how to eat them w/o the sauce and pasta. I will have to explore these other substitutes at WF's next week. They have NOTHING like that around here. The only Boca in my area come in the red box, and they don't specify non-GMO on those boxes.

ps I like your tickerfactory counter!
Old 04-22-2012, 04:48 AM   #16

Madge I am not a big fan of all the processed burgers, "meat" products, etc other than the fake ground round which tastes to me like mushrooms, lol! They are nice and convenient, but as far as taste, etc etc, I prefer plain vegetarian proteins. Actually I am somewhat grossed out by the need to replicate animal foods.

It is even better diet-wise, lowcarb-wise, imho to use tofu, tempeh, quorn, etc etc in their most basic states and cook them like usual (fried, baked, whatever), just eat them with veggies and no grains. Just another thought.
Old 04-22-2012, 08:41 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I am NOT a fan of tofu. However, I really like Trader Joe's meatless chicken strips and I like their beef-less ground beef. I also enjoy Trader Joe's meatless meatballs. I don't mind adding these things to my recipes and find that they really help in my attempt to eat low carb.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:45 AM   #18

Sherrill My point was that no one needs to eat processed fake meat to do this as an lc vegetarian if they choose not to, since Madge said she hadn't been eating that way.

Tofu, quorn, wheat seitan, tempeh all fit the bill for lowcarb eating prepared the traditional vegetarian way (!) - the only adjustment being to make sauces sugar-free, eliminate grains from the meal, and maybe up the vegetable sides to fill out the plate.
Old 04-23-2012, 01:57 PM   #19
Senior LCF Member

Sherril and Pauline,
I think I'm somewhere in the middle re the soy foods - some I love (like Edamame and black soybeans) and some I dislike very much, with most falling somewhere in-between. There are so many options available, but since I ate very high carb, with lots of dairy, PB and frozen vegetarian meals, I didn't opt to try them very often. My biggest objection was the taste.

I liked being able to enjoy a decent veggie burger to eat along with the regular hambuger I'd make my husband. Same thing with meatballs - we could actually kind of share a meal - he got the homemade real meatballs, I got the frozen imitation ones and the rest of our dinner was the same. This is so much harder now since he is not vegetarian and definitely not low carb. I would often only eat the *sides* that I made - I was very low in protein a some days. One of the reasons I had a lot of Amy's, WF 365 other organic vegetarian frozen dinners stored up - I'd pop one in the microwave for myself and serve him his regular meal - I wasn't constantly cooking two entrees. How do others deal with cooking for two people while only one is veggie LC, the other being mainly a meat and potato guy, who will eat veggies on the side, with the only meatless meal being a grilled cheese sandwich.

I'm looking for any options out there that I haven't yet tried to make things easier during this induction phase - I'm getting a little sick of eggs! lol If this was a PB and cheese diet, I'd be fine.

Here's what I've tried and like:
Boca All-American Grilled with non-GMO (when I can find it)
Boca or (I think Morningstar) organic or non-GMO chicken breaded patties (which unfortunately I can't have now, much too high in carbs)
I can't find non-GMO or organic Gardenburgers anymore, so I stopped purchasing those
Nate's frozen meatballs (seems like they will work for LC)
and a variety of organic frozen dinners.
I like Nasoya's firm and x-firm tofu, esp. the new ones labeled "tofu plus"
I'm fuzzy on the Seitan, I think it was ok

Here's what I've tried and didn't like:
Quorn burgers- hated them.
other Boca burgers, esp. the organic vegan one, sadly.
most Amy's burgers
soy milk, by itself, but I can drink it if I have to
soy yoghurt
soy cheese
tempeh
any hot dogs, lunchmeat, etc. when they first came out

I haven't tried anything new products lately, except for the Nate's meatballs and frozen dinners and pizzas, so I'm open to suggestions.

I haven't used TVP in ages, but I plan to pick some up and experiment again. I used it years ago, not only for myself, but to replace up to 1/3 of the ground beef in some meals I'd make my family. I will probably spend hours in WF's reading carb labels this week! LOL I absolutely love the choices they have....can you tell it's been almost 3 months since my last visit! You'd think I was going on a holiday.

Thanks for everyone's help and patience as I keep learning how to go from a high-carb vegetarian to low-carb one.
Old 04-23-2012, 02:35 PM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Madge17, you and your husband sound just like me and my wife. I'm the vegetarian type and she's the carnivore though.

I usually have to make 2 separate meals as my wife doesn't cook much.

I didn't like the quorn burgers either...they were very blah!!

What I did like was the Sunshine Burgers and only the Original style. I don't know if they would be too high in carbs for your or not. The carbs are 11 per burger and that's probably from the brown rice.

I have seen recipes to make meatballs out of walnuts but never tried them. There are piles of recipes on vegweb if you need ideas. I get lots of ideas from there.

You can also grind up the boca burgers to make them into meatballs or meatloaf.

Good luck in this WOE and I hope you find things you like that are in your carb level.
Old 04-23-2012, 03:31 PM   #21
Senior LCF Member

Nigel,
It is a pain, cooking for two separately, isn't it? I purchased a lot of different meats yesterday. I'll vacuum freeze some of them today and cook up some. What works easiest for me is when I have his entree's cooked and ready or cooked and vacuum frozen, and then some of mine too. I can pull out our various "proteins" and just cook up the sides. It will be much tricker now that I'm doing LC, almost impossible really, since he hates most of the food I eat, except for the starches and certain veggies and I can only eat some of those veggies. oh well....

Thanks for the tip on the Sunshine burgers, though 11 gr will be too high for me now. I'm struggling to stay around 20 as is. I've tried making veggie burgers and meatballs years ago and wasn't happy with the results. Haven't tried any recently, as I've found a few frozen ones I liked. This diet will give me the chance to experiment again. Thanks

Last edited by Madge17; 04-23-2012 at 03:33 PM.. Reason: I put in a thumb-up smilie when it should have been a thumbs-down lol
Old 04-23-2012, 05:37 PM   #22
Senior LCF Member

My husband will eat anything I cook for myself. I don't ever make him anything different although he isn't as low carb as I am. If he wants fish or chicken, he will cook it for himself. My son will also eat what I cook or else he will cook himself something. People here can eat what I make or not, their choice. However, if they choose not, than they have to feed themselves.
Old 04-23-2012, 05:41 PM   #23

I cook three different meals nightly .. 2 vegetarian highercarb, 1 vegetarian lowcarb, and 1 meat highercarb (still healthy wholegrain!) .. pain in the butt .. as a result I eat the same thing day after day and just vary the others meals - I generally make a vegetarian and meat high carb meal the same way you describe Madge - and then my own vegetarian lowcarb meal.

Honestly, it is a pain, but much easier than walking around weighing 100+ pounds more .. one suggestion that I do when traveling that could work for you .. I make casseroles like that one you tried, and others like Linda Sue's pepper and onion quiche, the spinach casserole i have posted in the recipes sticky and I portion them, wrap each individually in a freezer bag and freeze it and so I essentially have my own homemade frozen meals .. might be one way to deal with it sometimes.

It is hard!!! but you'll figure it out!!!

Pauline
Old 04-24-2012, 06:55 AM   #24
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/127/<119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/5:2
Start Date: May, 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherril View Post
My husband will eat anything I cook for myself. I don't ever make him anything different although he isn't as low carb as I am. If he wants fish or chicken, he will cook it for himself. My son will also eat what I cook or else he will cook himself something. People here can eat what I make or not, their choice. However, if they choose not, than they have to feed themselves.
My husband does not eat low-carb (he's always been naturally slim) and he is a carnivore, but he eats what I eat without complaint. He often says he's grateful to have someone who cooks for him. Twice a week, we have fend-for-yourself nights and he will sometimes grill a turkey burger or some other kind of easy dish.

Maybe the difference is that we both work and we married when we were in our late 30s, so he had many years of surviving on cereal or popcorn for dinner.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:21 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I don't mind cooking for my wife, and it's actually easier for me to cook non-vegetarian food for her than to cook for myself. I learned how to cook as a teenager and liked it. I don't really do much in the way of baking, so there is where I need practice. My wife is disabled so its hard for her to stand for very long at a time.

My challenge is trying to figure out what I actually like to eat that is non-meat protein. I like most veggies and have no qualms about eating them or salads and I have always loved cheese. Of course my doctor says that too much cheese is bad for my blood pressure, so I'm slowly cutting down on that.

At times I get lazy/tired too and don't want to cook. There is always fast food for my wife, but not a very healthy choice, so I'm trying to wean her off of that and she's agreeable, but it is also convienent. We are doing better cause she used to prefer fast food nearly every night...now she asks me to bbq or fix something at home. Small steps in our world, but they all add up.
Old 04-24-2012, 04:42 PM   #26
Senior LCF Member

I just came home from our shopping trip and I am so stoked! I got all kinds of great foods and should be set for a while!

Here's some of the first-timers that I purchased:

Tofu made from Black Soybeans (never saw this one before)
Sol cuisine veggie burgers
Almond butter
Shirataki tofu noodles
Plain unsweetend Kefir
Organic Greek yoghurt

Everything else I've had at one time or another, but the soy milks are the 365 brand and I'm hoping they'll taste better than the Silk brand did. They had the lowest carbs too. The chocolate had way too many carbs - 16 gr per 8 oz serving, so I took a pass and got plain and vanilla at 9 and 10 gr. per 8 oz.

My fridge runneth over with tofu and veggies! lol Today was definitely a "whole foods = whole paycheck" day, twice as much as I typically spend there, but I'm set for a while. DH was shocked, but I reminded him we skipped WF on our last trip, so it's been almost 3 months!
Old 04-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I recently discovered whole paycheck about 100 miles east of where I live and I went in there and fell in love with the place. I came home with lots of protein/meat substitutes since they were nice enough to provide a freezer section in their store just for such items. I've been wanting to go back, but haven't figured out when yet.

It looks like you got great stuff there. I'm curious if the black soybean tofu tastes any different than the regular kind. Please post about it after you try it.

I haven't heard of the sol cuisine veggie burgers and I'll wait for your report on them too. I'm always looking for different veggie burgers just to break up the monotony of the same ole burger routine.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:16 AM   #28
Senior LCF Member

Nigel, I'll let you know when I try those - I have other foods with a closer perishable date I'll need to eat up first.

Yesterday, at a different non-local grocery store, I happened to score:
Hoods Choc milk (never thought I'd find it)
Gardein Chicken fillets
More shirataki noodles (I sure hope I'll like them-lol)

I also found that one sweetner (E-something) but I had just purchased a big bag of splenda that will last me years, unless I start baking with it. lol I wanted to make those Cream cheese muffins, but if they are really good, I can't be trusted with a treat like that during my induction phase and probably not for a while afterwards either. I printed out the recipes and I'll try them after I start losing some weight and I'm more comfortable with "control" issues.
Old 04-26-2012, 10:57 AM   #29
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/127/<119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/5:2
Start Date: May, 2011
Madge, I'm a fan of the shirataki noodles. My non-LC husband can be picky and I think he likes them more than I do! There is a megathread about these elsewhere on the site, so be sure to check that out, if you haven't already.

One thing I've been doing with them lately is sauteeing them with a mix of onion + red and green peppers with lots of sesame oil and soy sauce. Sometimes I add pre-baked tofu from Trader Joe.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #30
Senior LCF Member

Sherril and MargD,
Quote:
However, if they choose not, than they have to feed themselves.
It's a little too late in the game to try that with hubby, and it would bring me far more trouble in the end than it's worth.

My son is coming late this evening and spending the weekend!!
Now, he pretty much always ate whatever I made while growing up, unless it was something he absolutely hated (we all have foods we dislike) and he hasn't changed much. He's not vegetarian, but he can eat like one (except for the tofu), but he grew up with my high-carb vegetarian cooking and lots of PBJ sandwiches. lol He likes big salads and edamame beans in their pods, so maybe I'll make some as a snack.

I'm excited that I found the Gardein chicken fillets - I hope they are decent tasting, as I've never tried anything like it. I've only had the Boca or Mornginstar chicken fillets on a bun. One of the meals I'm planning is real chicken breasts for DH and DS, and I'll be able to have one the soy ones! I'll probably also make salmon for DS - hubby hates fish and he's not *that* fond of chicken either, but tough. My son is a veggie eater and a whole wheat person and he can knock off my organic breads and skim milk too! He loves protein shakes. He has the best of and the worst of our eating habits, but at least he was exposed to healthy foods (and vegetarian foods) during his first 20 yrs.

We need to do some preparation and furniture rearranging today before he gets here, so I had better get back to it.