Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-05-2012, 05:42 AM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Vegetarian or Vegan Bouillon, or other soup base

What brands do you like to use?

I have only found one so far that I like (even though I know the salt content is through the roof, lol!).

That is the Knorr Vegetable Bouillon cubes .. been using it forever, like 30 years? It might be nice for me to branch out.

Pauline
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-05-2012, 11:11 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I haven't ever used them, but I'm wondering if perhaps they made a reduced sodium type or salt-free. Since so many people are watching their salt these days, they just might make one.

Okay, did a quick search...they have this one on Amazon.... (sorry so big...I copied and pasted...oops)
Vogue Cuisine Vegetarian Chicken Soup & Seasoning Base 4oz - Low Sodium, Gluten Free, All Natural Ingredients

Vogue Cuisine Vegetable Soup & Seasoning Base 4oz (Vegebase, Vege Base) - Low Sodium, Gluten Free, All Natural Ingredients

Last edited by Nigel; 04-05-2012 at 11:14 AM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 01:49 PM   #3

Good to know they are available! Thanks Nigel!!

I'd love to hear reviews of any veg (no meat, gelatin or other meat products) bouillons anyone has. ..
Old 04-06-2012, 07:25 PM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sherril
Stats: 207/188.6/125
WOE: Low-carb lacto-ovo vegetarian
Start Date: 11/09 the first time 2/12 this time
I don't like using cubes. I always buy my broth already made up. My favorite is Swanson Veggie broth, but I really like the Trader Joe's one as well although it has tomato in it which may not work for every recipe. The swanson one has plenty of onion flavor that I like.
Sherril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2012, 04:49 AM   #5

Thanks Sherril! I will give them both a try if I can find them.
Old 04-10-2012, 09:28 PM   #6
Senior LCF Member

One thing I've been using is something new from Swanson. It's little single serve packets of concentrated broth called Vegetable Flavor Boost. One packet is equivalent to 1 cup broth and has 4 carbs in each 1 oz. packet.
Old 04-11-2012, 05:09 AM   #7

Sherrill do you get the Swanson in the regular market - or is it a specialty item? I will check that out!

I do not know where to post this, actually, but over the holiday weekend I made a high carb vegetarian dish for my highcarb vegetarians and used "Imagine Vegetarian Wild Mushroom Gravy" which I found at a funky little health food store the next town over.

It was pretty good. I cannot give any comparisons to meat products not having tasted gravy since I was a little girl - and not even sure if I've ever had beef gravy. It was not amazing or anything, but did the trick to moisten the dish and it was nice to have something ready made when I was already doing so much cooking..

A quarter cup serving was 15 calories and 4 net carbs. There were a bunch of no-nos in the ingredient list (rice flour, tapioca flour, potato starch), but at that carb level, I would still use it here and there - especially since I am not a carb "purist", lol!

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
Old 04-11-2012, 10:22 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I tried to find some reviews on the gravy for you, but no luck. I'm glad you posted here about it. I'll look for it my next shopping trip, though things that are vegetarian and/or vegan are very sparse around here, it doesn't hurt to look.
Old 04-13-2012, 06:13 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Pauline, I buy my veg broth and Stater Brothers. They carry it in cartons and cans.

I make my gravy with 1/2 package Loma Linda mushroom gravy dry mix, sauteed mushrooms in butter and some heavy cream. The mix makes it thick without too many carbs (that's why only 1/2 package) and the mushrooms makes it flavorful. I like to add meatless meatballs to my gravy for a Sweedish meatball dish that I pour over finely chopped cauliflower (cauli-rice) and serve it with roasted asparagus. I think I'll make that tomorrow!
Old 04-14-2012, 11:51 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imstarryeyed
WOE: lacto ovo pesco vegetarian low carb
Start Date: April 12, 2012
I had to have surgery in December which required me eating soft food or drinking it. I didn't like the taste of a lot of vegetable bouillon by itself so I found a recipe and made it from scratch. Really, pretty easy and tastes so good. I freezed a lot in ice cube trays to use in recipes for later.

Another one I use for a chicken taste, is Chick' Nish by Bill's Best. One protein, one carb and 9 calories in a teaspoon. It's good if you want to make something that has more or a chicken sauce or gravy flavor.
imstarryeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:11 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Can you share your recipe for the vegetable bouillion? I could use a good recipe if you still have it.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:16 PM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Veggie Broth Recipe

Veggie Broth Recipe

You'll need about 5 or 6 lbs of veggies, depending on how much you want to make. I use whatever I have on hand and purchase the rest but this usually includes:

bunch of celery - all parts
onion
carrots
turnips
peppers- green, yellow or red bell
asparagus
squash- any and all kinds
cauliflower
tomatoes
3 or 4 cloves of garlic
bunch of Italian parsley
3 whole cloves
1 or 2 bay leaves
whole peppercorns (to taste)
salt
olive oil
1 gallon water

Cut onion, carrots, turnips, peppers, squash, cauliflower, tomato, carrots, in to pieces and toss with olive oil. Place veggies in a roasting pan and roast in 450║ oven, stirring every 15 minutes until veggies have browned. This will take over an hour.

Add chopped celery, asparagus, garlic, chopped parsley, cloves, bay leaves, peppercorns and roasted veggies to a stock pot with a gallon of water. (I keep a scrap bag of veggies in my freezer of unused parts like celery tops and potato peels, etc. If you have something like this now is the time to use them- great nutrients). Bring pot to a full boil. Reduce to simmer and notice how high the water is. This is important! You want the pot to simmer until the liquid is reduced by half. You may want to taste to add seasonings during this time.

When broth has reduced by half -pour the broth through a colander catching it in a large pot. Broth is ready to use! Don't throw away the veggies- they are delicious! Freeze the broth in ice cube trays or larger containers for recipes that call for bouillon.

I've had this broth plain and added it to casseroles, gravy and soup. Yummy! Makes the house smell great too! Sorry, I don't know the nutritional content since you are not really eating the vegetables. Any idea?
Old 04-14-2012, 05:00 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the recipe. It sounds great. I don't have any idea about the nutritional info either, but I'm so happy to get this recipe.

I've been looking for vegetarian stock in the stores, but the stores here are very limited, so this is a great help to me.
Old 04-14-2012, 05:19 PM   #14
Senior LCF Member

You're welcome! Let me know how it turns out if you try making it!
Old 04-15-2012, 11:49 AM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madge17
WOE: MeatlessLowCarb/LowSodium
Start Date: April 2012
Have you ever tried Superior Touch "Better than Boullion"? They have a variety of different flavor bases (a paste in a jar) and their vegetable base is vegan. Once I even found several organic BTB jars. They have a lot of sodium, so I need to be careful using them, but I especially like them as an extra flavor "kick" to soups and sauces.
Madge17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 10:25 AM   #16
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/118/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
I use Rapunzel. I remember reading a good review of it on a blog and I came across it at a local health food store several months later. I like it.

I just checked Amazon and it comes in a no-salt-added version, as well as other versions.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2012, 06:48 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

I got the Better Than Bouillon- vegetable today. It comes in low sodium too. I got the regular because I've been feeling really light headed every time I stand. I read in Atkin's book to increase sodium if you're feeling faint and he recommends two cups of bouillon a day to satisfy that need. I'm out of homemade so I tried this and it's really good. It's a paste so you have to refrigerate after opening.