Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vegetarian (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/)
-   -   Food I ate--what did you eat? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/765735-food-i-ate-what-did-you-eat.html)

Nigel 04-01-2012 05:13 AM

Food I ate--what did you eat?

Yesterday (Saturday March 31, 2012)

Tomato Juice

Jalepeno American Cheese Microwave Chips
Avocado smashed with salt, pepper, lemon juice, and 1 T. Pace picante sauce
Melissa's baby cucumbers

2 sl cheese
dozen roasted almonds

MSF Big burger
2 leaves lettuce, 2 sl. tomato, 1 sl onion, dozen slices dill pickle, mayo, mustard
Coleslaw
S/F cherry popsicle

Sherril 04-03-2012 08:48 AM

Monday, April 2

B - Egg salad

L - Low carb tortilla (3 carbs) pizza with mushrooms and red onions and some 1/4 cup sunflower seeds.

Snack - tofurkey rolled around pickle wedges with mayo

D - Meatless meatballs in a mushroom cream sauce over cauliflower.

snack - I had a cheese stick and a Hansen's diet cherry soda with heavy cream.

I ate way too much yesterday. My weight loss has come to a stand still and I'm getting frustrated. Today I'm going to cut back to eating only 3 times and add lots more veggies.

Nigel 04-03-2012 12:47 PM

Thanks for joining me here.

I haven't been eating enough lately, haven't been feeling up to par.

When I was eating 6 times a day, I felt better and had more energy. Of course I felt like I was eating all the time, but at the end of the day, it was actually less than I regularly ate. I have to get back to eating more often. Bad habits are so hard to break for me.

Sherril 04-03-2012 08:30 PM

Cream of Broccoli soup Recipe

Nigel, I like seeing what other people are eating. Especially if they're eating vegetarian. It gives me ideas.:D

B - cheese stick with cream of broccoli soup

L - Atkin's chocolate shake with almond milk to thin it out.

D - meatless chicken, mushrooms, and zucchini sauteed with soy sauce, splenda, and ginger to make a sauce. My whole family likes this so I never get any leftovers. I had it with a green salad.

Cream of broccoli soup Recipe:

1 bag frozen broccoli from Trader Joe's. The grocery store brands have too many fibrous stalks.
2 chopped up zucchini
2 cups veggie broth

Bring to a boil and cook until everything is very tender--about 20 minutes. Add 1/2 cup heavy cream, 1/2 tsp. thyme, and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Put in the stick blender and blend until very creamy.

I make this soup a couple times a week. I only serves 4, unless of course husband is eating than I get two small servings and he gets one large.

Nigel 04-04-2012 06:00 PM

That's an easy soup recipe. I like that. I'm adding it to my list of things to make next week.

TaDa! 04-05-2012 04:40 AM

Daily food posts from me would be boring since I eat very similarly on a day to day basis since I spend so much time cooking three different meals for my families most days ... I am on maintenance so I do eat more than others losing weight would be eating, lol!

but here is yesterday:

Breakfast
Coconut Nut bark (see below in snacks) and coffee/1% milk

Lunch
Blackened Eggplant Parm (my recipe is in recipe sticky, post #5)
coffee/1% milk

Dinner Was on the run sitting in a theater last night, lol!
Caprese Sandwich - whole lc pita, pesto, mozarella, lettuce and tomato
2 mini cucmbers

snacks:
Coconut Bark -with whey protein powder, almonds, walnuts and cocoa
Peanut Butter "ball" -with crunchy pb, protein powder and a little coconut oil
Peanuts - 1 oz

TaDa! 04-05-2012 05:27 AM

sherril vis a vis the weightloss, your menu looks good to me, but it is hard to tell what an individual person can tolerate.

I'd suggest considering three things:

1. heavy cream quantity
2. doublechecking measurements of high calorie foods
3. post-induction stall

One thing I always limit is the heavy cream due to the high calories even though the carbs are good - that said, you might be eating a perfectly fine amount, etc, but it is very easy to pour out more than you think if it is not measured which can cause some "creep" (like in the soda .. if you did do a 1/4 cup, you'd add 200 calories - lol probably not what you're doing, just an illustration. Although I totally can tolerate a 200 calorie snack on weightloss, some people cannot).

Anyhow here are the counts for heavy cream to consider:

1 Tbsp 50 calories / 0 carbs
1/2 cup is 400 calories / 0-7 carbs

The other thing is to consider that most people have an intense slowdown a few weeks into lowcarb. If you do a search here it is called the "post-induction stall" but applies to all lowcarb in my experience, because our bodies shed a lot of water at first when we go off the carbs and the actual fatloss has to catch up. Most people will have a "mini-stall" for something like 2 weeks .. happened to me too. Anyhow, you might want to check that out as well.

P

Nigel 04-05-2012 10:04 AM

You are never boring, TaDa! I really like reading all your posts.

Yesterday I went to SA, so I ate at Coyote Canyon which is a steakhouse type buffet. I was good and didn't eat any meat. They had lots of great vegetables and varieties. The desserts didn't look good, so I got a snippet (and I mean they were chincey with the dessert servings) of pecan pie. I figured that wasn't the worst thing I could eat.

For food, I ate cornbread (yeah, not LC, but it was good)
A spoonful of most things like some yellow rice, some spanish rice, a cheese enchilada,
about 6 tortilla triangles with refried beans and cheese and salsa
A good salad with cottage cheese, lettuce, black olives, cheese, green onions and tomatoes.
Half a roasted jalepeno, and 2 pepperoncini. I was surprised the jalepeno wasn't hot at all.
A few green peas and a little corn, some charro beans and a little bit of mashed potatoes and gravy. The mashed potatoes were so good and I haven't had them in forever, but I was good and stuck to my little spoonful.

I tried a little spaghetti, but didn't eat it...I tasted sugar...ugh!! I never liked sweet spaghetti--I think it ruins it.

So it wasn't a good LC day, but I didn't eat any dinner, only lunch cause I was so stuffed. I had to go to Sam's and walk it off or else I would have had to roll home. LOL :sing:

Nigel 04-05-2012 10:17 AM

Tonight I'm making quorn crumbles vegetarian tacos for dinner.

I only had 11 oz of tomato juice today, so far. I'll probably have something light for lunch in a few...I think I'm still full from yesterday. haha!!

Nigel 04-06-2012 10:06 AM

The Quorn Crumbles didn't make very good taco meat. I thought I had used them before, but maybe not. I have used Morningstar Farms Crumbles and Boca Crumbles. The last bag of Boca Crumbles I got had garlic in it. Garlic doesn't like me at all and I don't think it used to have it in it. The Boca Crumbles have the best texture in comparison to regular hamburger meat. The Morningstar Farms Crumbles are pretty chewy. The Quorn Crumbles seemed a little soggy, for lack of a better word. Next taco night, I think I'll make Sisterzu's tvp taco meat. I haven't made that for tacos yet.

Does anyone else use something to resemble real taco meat?

Nigel 04-06-2012 05:43 PM

I ground up a boca burger in my little ninja and cooked it up with salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder and dang if it doesn't have the right taco meat texture. I had a lightbulb moment earlier and figured it was worth a try. It came out good. So if ya want hamburger meat texture, just give a frozen boca a little grind (to your liking for chunks) and cook it up for use as any regular hamburger dish would be. I love it!!
Of course my wife wonders why it took me so long to think this up. I suppose I should have just asked her. LOL :hyst:

So yeah, I'm having some boca vegetarian tacos tonight. The cheese shells and lettuce leaves that Char suggested ages ago really work good.
First I line the cheese taco shell with a leaf of lettuce, then I spread on a little sour cream and then add the meat, onions, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes....yes, I need more cheese even though I have a cheese shell...*snicker* and some picante or hot sauce. I like the taco bell sauce a lot lately. Once in a while, I get energetic and make some pica de gallo or some stuffed jalepenos or jalepeno fudge...but that ain't happenin' tonight.

Oh, and I got watermelon for dessert. YUM!!
Everyone have a great Easter, ok.

Sherril 04-06-2012 06:20 PM

Tacos were my very favorite food before low carb. I'd eat 3 large ones, fried. I like them crunchy. Now I'm wanting tacos. I have some Trader Joe's meatless ground beef so I think I'll cook that up with some spices and put together some type of taco for dinner.

B - Cheese stick with 1/2 cup hood's chocolate milk and 1 cup unsweetened almond milk

L - egg salad, tofurkey slices, and a cheese stick

snack - cashews and a heavy cream diet root beer float

d - tacos or even better, taco salad since I haven't had any veggies today

Pauline, I think you may be right about the amount of cream I put into a soda. Today I used half and half instead and it tasted just as yummy! I bought more keto sticks this week and I'm in ketosis so I'll just keep on keeping on the low carb and hope the weight starts to fall off again.

veggies4health 04-08-2012 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 15561353)
I ground up a boca burger in my little ninja and cooked it up with salt, pepper, cumin, and chili powder and dang if it doesn't have the right taco meat texture. I had a lightbulb moment earlier and figured it was worth a try. It came out good. So if ya want hamburger meat texture, just give a frozen boca a little grind (to your liking for chunks) and cook it up for use as any regular hamburger dish would be. I love it!!
Of course my wife wonders why it took me so long to think this up. I suppose I should have just asked her. LOL :hyst:

So yeah, I'm having some boca vegetarian tacos tonight. The cheese shells and lettuce leaves that Char suggested ages ago really work good.
First I line the cheese taco shell with a leaf of lettuce, then I spread on a little sour cream and then add the meat, onions, cheese, lettuce and tomatoes....yes, I need more cheese even though I have a cheese shell...*snicker* and some picante or hot sauce. I like the taco bell sauce a lot lately. Once in a while, I get energetic and make some pica de gallo or some stuffed jalepenos or jalepeno fudge...but that ain't happenin' tonight.

Oh, and I got watermelon for dessert. YUM!!
Everyone have a great Easter, ok.

Nigel, I use dry tvp that I reconstitute, and then use taco seasoning. For a big saute pan of it, I add corn (for the hubby and dd - I pick it out of mine), a can of stewed tomatoes, and a can of kidney beans that I've drained and rinsed well (to get rid of some sodium). We serve over lettuce salad with plain greek yogurt and salsa and avocado, and crush a few tortilla chips over it. Yum!

Nigel 04-09-2012 10:58 AM

That sounds good.
There is a recipe on here for a good hamb substitute made from TVP and chia. I've made it a couple of times and made sloppy joes from it and a casserole. I'll have to find the recipe. It's on the veggie forum somewhere by Sisterzu. It's very easy to make and tastes better to me than just tvp as is.

Sherril 04-09-2012 09:44 PM

Monday's menu

B - 1/2 low carb tortilla with peanut butter, Hoods chocolate milk mixed with almond milk

L - egg salad and a cheese stick

Snack - handful of edamame and handful of cocoa roast almonds

d - Linda's mushroom broccoli casserole

Snack - egg salad

TaDa! 04-10-2012 04:10 AM

Something different .. I had a homemade greek salad yesterday .. lettuce, tomato, green onion, beautiful feta cheese, black olives, red wine vinaigrette. It were yum!

Sherril is Linda Sue's mushroom broccoli casserole good? Did you do any tweaks to it? My kids won't eat mushies, but dh and I love them ..

Sherril 04-10-2012 07:58 PM

Meatless Cheese Chicken Broccoli Casserole

I really loved this casserole. I've never had the meatless bacon before and I have to say, it really made this even more delicious! I was going to do Linda Sue's recipe but found this recipe at lowcarber.org's forum and tried it instead. I replaced the meat in the recipe with meatless options and put the recipe in a calculator to get the fiber and fat and calories.

Meatless Cheese Chicken Broccoli Casserole

2 cups meatless chicken strips, chopped (I used one pkg. Trader Joe's brand)
1 large bunch broccoli chopped and steamed in microwave
1/2 onion, chopped
6 large button mushrooms, chopped
1 tbsp butter
1/2 cup sour cream
1/2 cup mayonnaise
2 pkgs Swanson's vegetable flavor boost packets (instead of 1 tsp bouillon granules dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water)
1 tsp garlic powder
6 oz. shredded cheddar
5 strips veggie bacon, chopped

Saute the onion and mushrooms in the butter until tender. Spread the broccoli, onions and mushrooms, and chicken in a baking dish. Mix the sour cream, mayo, flavor packets (or bouillon granules), garlic and cheese. Spread over the veggies/chicken. Sprinkle the bacon over the top and bake for 25 minutes in 350 degree oven. Lots of fat, but delicious! Makes 6 servings.

8.5 gram carbs with 2.4 grams fiber
NET CARBS 6.1
31 grams of fat! :stars:
386 calories per serving

TaDa! 04-11-2012 04:12 AM

Thanks so much Sherrill! I actually am all for very fatty dishes on my woe! So that is a good thing for me, lol! I totally would never have thought of trying a dish with chicken and bacon strips sub'ing veg product. Thanks for posting all that!!!!!

:hugs:

P

Nigel 04-11-2012 09:10 AM

That recipe sounds good, Sherril.

Margurite0821 04-11-2012 10:10 AM

Okay - so I am not a frequent contributor to these board but I confess to be a stalker of the content. I've been trying to do low-carb vegetarian for the better part of two years. I'm struggling. I re-read Ta-Da's story every once in a while for inspiration. I recommitted at the beginning of January 2012 - lost 22 lbs until the end of Feb and have BOUNCED between the same 3 lbs (up and down) for the last 5 1/2 weeks. I am so discouraged. AND am so running out of ideas of what to eat. Thank you all for posting your ideas / menus - I just want to extend my appreciation. I am the only vegetarian I know AND the only one doing low-carb ... and I am really having such a challenge. TaDa .. I do not know how you managed to do it all while raising kids, etc. I am struggling with work, cooking, shopping and kids .. you are an inspiration. I'll start posting my menus in a new post.

Margurite0821 04-11-2012 10:13 AM

Wed. April 11th

B: 1 slice Linda's Chile Relleno Egg Casserole
A.M. S: Flackers with 1 oz cheddar cheese
Lunch: greens with Morningstar farms griller burger, 5 small mozzarella marinated balls, 1 tbsp. pine nuts, small slices of cucumber and 4 tiny cherry tomatoes.

Dinner: TBD

TaDa! 04-11-2012 01:02 PM

Your menu looks good to me Marguerite. Yah it is very hard cooking for a whole family including kids - I make like 3 different dinners a night, never mind the packed lunches, snacks etc for all of them, hence my lack of different meals to post here for myself, lol -- I tend to stay safe with a repertoire of 3 or 4 different things for myself most times.

The one thing I would ask vis-a-vis being stalled, is whether you are counting carbs or calories at all. I find food quantity/calories the biggest staller really and even if you do not tend to count them, it is good to occasionally take a full day, weigh and measure every ingredient and log them into a program to count calories and carbs ..

anyhow, just a thought! I am off to drop kids off to soccer and crew, so gotta run, lol!!!

:hugs:

Pauline

Margurite0821 04-11-2012 06:42 PM

Tonight's dinner 04/11/12

Still trying to stay on track and motivated:

Made tofu (organic super firm) sliced into 9 slices, dipped into beaten eggs, and then into shredded parmesean cheese that had been flavored with McCormick ground italian seasoning and baked on a pan liberally doused with olive oil. Side was frozen broccoli that had been nuked, then run through the food processor with garlic powder, butter and s&p then finely chopped.

I ate I serving of each and am saving the rest for work's lunch tomorrow, I just keep tring ;-)

Nigel 04-12-2012 10:55 AM

Margurite0821,
Nice to see you here. Are you sure you are eating enough? When I was losing weight, I would get to where I didn't really have an appetite and I would forget to eat or else I just couldn't get interested in eating much. That caused me to stall and even gain wieght. I know it doesn't make sense, but that is what happened to me. As soon as I would eat a lot of LC stuff, I would start losing again. I tend to eat more veggies, probably more than most people and I drink a homemade v-8+ juice every day.

Some days I still find myself not wanting to eat, but also not wanting to gain any of that weight back, so I rely on my veggie juice. I also figure we are all different and our bodies react differently to different diets/foods.

When I was losing my weight, I was going along fine and then I just quit losing. Eating less made me gain, so I added in what I called a cheat day. I would eat something high carb for one meal, but only the one meal and no leftovers for later either. That seemed to break my stall and brought back my appetite.

Doing LC/Atkins, I wasn't trying to be a vegetarian like I am trying to be now, so it was a little easier for me then. Also, there wasn't all these neat things that you could make from almond flour and other stuff....no one had thought it it yet or else I was just out of the loop. It was in 1987, so I didn't even have the internet. (I'm telling my age here...lol)

I do find myself getting bored of the same old things, but they are great standby's to keep me on track. I was never a person who liked to eat the same thing over and over, but I'm trying to adjust to that simply due to lack of time for cooking and experimenting.

I guess I got on a roll there....the bottom line for me, is that I had to eat more to lose more and I still have to make myself eat more when I start feeling tired and the lack of motivation. It does help if you can find stuff you like a lot and keep it on hand. I have learned to be a salad person...nothing fancy, but I make my own salad dressings and even lettuce and salad dressing makes a good salad for me. I try to eat one each night with dinner and I eat the salad first.

Of course I "cheat" a lot these days cause I'm on maiintenance, but I have a system that works for me and keeps me from going off LC completely which would be easy to do. I do eat "frankenfoods" like Morningstar Farms, Quorn, Boca, and other of those types products, but I'd probably starve without them.

My wife doesn't cook, so I end up making 2 separate things at night most of the time. She will try my vegetarian stuff, but she's a true carnivore and I can't expect her to change.

I go around buying Vegetarian cookbooks and marking lots of recipes to try, but most of the time, I only get to try one a week or every two weeks cause I'm so busy. I know that sounds cliche, but it's true and I come here to rest, basically and get a break from all the work.

And most of my recipes contain things that most LC'ers don't eat like brown rice or beans. Right now I'm working on cloning the Sunshine Original Burger. My frist attempt wasn't great. It was edible, but a far cry from the real thing.

Good luck with your eating plan and I hope you stop by here and post often. I really enjoy reading other people's recipes too

Margurite0821 04-12-2012 07:24 PM

Thanks Nigel, I've fallen completely off the wagon ... I can't seem to stay away from bread again and copious amounts of sugar products ... I know I should stay on plan and yet I seem to have lost my drive again today .. I started out breakfast and lunch strong but then ... Well it started with m&ms and then went to hell in a breadbasket. I had been doing so well and then after five weeks with no progress .. Well .. You get the picture. I will continue to post and read as much as I can for motivation. Thanks for the info and words of encouragement!

Margurite0821 04-12-2012 07:27 PM

04/12/12
Breakfast: 3 eggs fried with olive oil and Swiss cheese
Lunch: parmesean crusted tofu and broccoli from above.

As for the rest of the day ... Not good! :-)

Nigel 04-13-2012 04:16 PM

We all get discouraged and tired of having to give up the stuff we grew up loving to eat. I do understand the frustration.

The best thing I can say is just get up every day with the best intentions and stick to it the best you can. Don't beat yourself up if you fall off the wagon, just get back up on it again. We all have times where we just don't want to have to worry about what we are eating. I usually allow myself a day per month where I eat out and eat anything I want from a buffet type restaurant.

All we can do is keep trying.

I have confidence in you, you will find your way, don't give up. ok.

Sherril 04-13-2012 05:05 PM

Friday menu

Breakfast - cheese stick with hoods chocolate milk/almond milk combo

L - 4 slices tofurkey with mayo and wrapped around a pickle spear, egg salad, cheese stick

snack - a fake pizza made with some shredded mozzarella, Parmesan cheese mixed with garlic and basil, fried in a pan. I also had some diet root beer with heavy cream.

D - my broccoli cheese soup and some cocoa roast almonds--a couple handfuls.

two glasses of resling wine.

Lots of cheese today. I need to get some more casseroles made. I think I'm going to make a lasagna tomorrow. I make it with low carb tortillas instead of pasta and include lots of veggies and some fake ground beef. Lots of left over broccoli soup so that will be great for my lunches with some tofurkey pickle wraps.

Sherril 04-13-2012 05:08 PM

Will the wine cause a stall?

TaDa! 04-14-2012 01:10 PM

Sherry it should probably be ok - but in all honesty, I would try to stay away from Riesling since it tends to have higher sugar content, I think - as it is a sweeter wine. I kn ow there are other drier table wines that would probably have a bit less ..? You'd have to look all that up though, but I think I do recall that about Riesling (love it too, lol!)

I have drank 2 glasses of wine (red) once a week during much of my weightloss and now pretty consistently on maintenance .. it has been ok for me - but yanno we each react differently to these things!

I think calories / food quantities in your menu are more likely to be a culprit for any stall. But maybe you'll be fine! Wait and see!!!!! :hugs: