Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-24-2012, 06:05 AM   #211
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/118/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
Thursday

B - http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...loss-meal.html

L - Peggy’s Individual Chia Bread « Peanut butter toast (butter + 1 oz peanut butter on Peggy's bread)

S - 1/4 c pecans

D - Salad (lettuce + fresh mozzarella + chickpeas + SF Seeds + red onion + goddess dressing)

S - 1T of coconut butter + Iced coffee slush

Last edited by MargD; 08-24-2012 at 06:08 AM.. Reason: clarity
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 08-24-2012, 11:19 AM   #212
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Did the magic weight loss meal work?

As you all know, I'm not the typical low carb person, but I do mostly low carb except occasionally.

I figured I'd post since I ate something different.

I made a scrambled egg frittata type thingy.

2 small boiled potatoes, 1/4 onion, 1/4 red bell pepper, a few mushrooms, a couple of slices of jalepenos, a handful of baby spinach and some cheese and 2 eggs worth of egg beaters. I put the spinach in last and it was delcious. I don't know why I never thought of this before.

I was watching Fat Chefs on TV and the gal was eating egg whites with spinach and it appealed to me.

I also had some pinto beans with green chilies and tomatoes in them and half a sliced tomato. It was a different type of meal for me, so it helped break the monotony.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 08:40 AM   #213
Senior LCF Member

Nigel - I don't know if the Magic WL Meal works. I don't eat it enough to be able to notice. Plus, I'm avoiding my scale right now!

Friday was a bit carbier for me. I justified it because I was going on a long bikeride after work. I brought my bike and all my gear to work with me because I was going to go on a nearby bike path. Unfortunately, late in the day, I started to feel headachey and nauseous. I still rode, but only for an hour. I ended up feelilng fine after my ride.

Friday

B - Mocha Protein Shake
S - Small amount (maybe 1/8 c) pecans
L - 1 cup chickpeas with EVOO
S - (pre ride) "peanut butter cup" coconut oil + peanut butter frozen
D - (post ride) Big Salad w/lots of veggies
Old 08-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #214
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madge17
WOE: MeatlessLowCarb/LowSodium
Start Date: April 2012
MargD - I made PB years ago, when the only stores that carried any type of natural or organic foods were the old health food stores or co-ops. I only had a blender then and it was a messy PITA to get out of the blender, but it was great. I bumped up the protein in it by adding powdered milk, as per a recipe in "Recipes for a Small Planet". PB and milk = complimentary protein. I'd sometimes add a tiny bit of honey to it for sweetness for my son. He and I loved it! I won't bother to make it for myself, as so much is available at grocery stores now - and I just love the organic WF 365 brands (and the price is good too). Hubby is not a PB liker, so it's just me eating it.

As far as almond butter - I happen to be 1/2-way through my first jar! I agree, it's a poor substitute for PB when you are a PB-lover as I am, but I mixed it in a small bowl with protein powder and some real PB and don't notice the odd taste as much. It IS less in carbs and good for you - so I'm forcing myself to try and develop a liking for it.
Madge17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2012, 11:51 AM   #215
Senior LCF Member

Wednesday
B - 2 eggs scrambled w 1/4-1/3 c cottage cheese in butter, and with peppers onions and green bean stir fry, coffee
S - bowl of cream cheese jello mold
D - 1 1/3 serv Peanut sauced tofu & 2 c leftover mixed veggies in OO
S - couple mouthfuls of whipped cream
S - 8 oz. cream sherry
----------------------------------
Thursday
B - PP shake w 1/2 c frozen strawberries, 1 c soymilk, splenda, coffee
S - 2 oz. mixed nuts
S - 1 1/2 oz. cheese, tea
D - left-over peanut tofu and veggie stir fry
S - 1 oz. nuts, 12 oz. bottle of my own blend of green tea and lemonade
S - and then I lost control of the nuts by eating another 4 or 5 little 1 oz. bags that I had previously weighed and pre-packaged for myself
--------------------------------
Yesterday
B - 2 eggs scrambled w 1/2 c cottage cheese in butter, coffee
S - 2 oz. cheese, diet CL lemonade
I didn't write any else down or keep track of how much...just kept fighting the urge to eat. I know I had cheese, SF jello & whipped cream and about 1/2 - 3/4 c of mixed PB, AB and PP and later had terrible stomach cramps for several hours. It was a new jar of PB and a brand I had never had before. Probably just overdid all 3 ingredients - my tummy's not as young as it used to be. Ended the day with Greek yoghurt & blueberries.

Fresh start this morning

B - PP, 1 c soymilk, 1/2 froz. strawberries, 1/4 c fresh blueberries
Old 08-28-2012, 07:36 AM   #216
Senior LCF Member

Monday

B - Fage yogurt ~ 1/2 cup + 1/4c pumpkin + pumpkin pie spice
L - Flax pancake (I had an offsite meeting and I got to eat lunch at home, yay!)
S - ~10 almonds (during the looooong drive home)
D - Mocha Protein Shake + slice of SF pound cake
S - Tomato + Olive Oil + Fresh Mozzarella

Love Love Love tomatoes this time of year!!
Old 08-28-2012, 07:42 AM   #217
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madge17 View Post
MargD - I made PB years ago, when the only stores that carried any type of natural or organic foods were the old health food stores or co-ops. I only had a blender then and it was a messy PITA to get out of the blender, but it was great. I bumped up the protein in it by adding powdered milk, as per a recipe in "Recipes for a Small Planet". PB and milk = complimentary protein. I'd sometimes add a tiny bit of honey to it for sweetness for my son. He and I loved it! I won't bother to make it for myself, as so much is available at grocery stores now - and I just love the organic WF 365 brands (and the price is good too). Hubby is not a PB liker, so it's just me eating it.

As far as almond butter - I happen to be 1/2-way through my first jar! I agree, it's a poor substitute for PB when you are a PB-lover as I am, but I mixed it in a small bowl with protein powder and some real PB and don't notice the odd taste as much. It IS less in carbs and good for you - so I'm forcing myself to try and develop a liking for it.
I'm not sure why I still make my own peanut butter, to be honest. Maybe I just want to justify the pricy blender? I agree that there are so many good brands out there now. Also, my grocery store has a machine that blends just peanuts and you just fill your container with whatever quantity you desire.

For whatever reason, it seems trickier to me to make almond butter. Maybe because the first time I tried, it just didn't turn out that great. I think that compared to peanut butter it really isn't that great, so being homemade probably wasn't the problem!

Like you, I'd really like to develop a taste for almond butter.
Old 08-29-2012, 06:09 AM   #218
Senior LCF Member

I was very very hungry all afternoon and I even ended up going to bed hungry, if you can believe it.

Tuesday

B - Slice of SF pound cake from the Healthy Indulgence website
L - 1/2 c low sodium cottage cheese + 1 oz peanut butter
S - 1/4 c almonds
S - 2 Slices of SF pound cake
S - Mozzarella cheese stick
D - 1/4 of a frittata
S - Raspberries w/ SF whipped cream
Old 09-04-2012, 02:31 PM   #219
Deb
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Deb
Im so excited
i have been waiting for cauliflower to go on sale..its been like $5.00 a head

today $1.99 a head

i bought 3

little things make me happy
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #220
Deb
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: Deb
roasting up some cauli/mushrooms/peppers/onions and sweet potatoe
Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2012, 06:22 AM   #221
Senior LCF Member

I love cauliflower. Enjoy!
Old 09-05-2012, 02:54 PM   #222
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Last night I had steamed cauliflower with cheese on top and boca loaf...it was the first vegetarian meatloaf that turned out really good.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:59 PM   #223
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imstarryeyed
WOE: lacto ovo pesco vegetarian low carb
Start Date: April 12, 2012
I'm still around doing low carb, still losing, just not as much time to post. I do track every bite of food.

Most of my meals consist of onions, cucumbers, tomatoes, cauliflower from the farmers market. I also eat eggs, limited cheese, olives and veggie patties. I find having fewer choices is better for me. I've been eating a few fruits, mostly blueberries and strawberries.

I'm counting carbs and calories and find I can eat about 50 carbs and lose but have to keep my calories to about 1000. I know that's "starvation mode" according to many but I don't lose if I'm eating 1200 calories. My motivation, when I started this woe, was my upcoming 60th birthday. I've got 2 months to go and hopefully will make my first goal. It will be an ungoing, lifetime process but I'm just happy to be feeling better and down 42 lbs.
imstarryeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:25 AM   #224
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good to see you here. I'm glad you are feeling better and losing weight. The best plan is what works for you.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:00 PM   #225
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imstarryeyed
WOE: lacto ovo pesco vegetarian low carb
Start Date: April 12, 2012
Thought I'd report in. Not much has changed in my diet.

B- veggie patty with sliced cucumber, tomato, onion, olives

L- peach

D- roasted cauliflower and onions sprinkled with parm

S- blueberries, string cheese
imstarryeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:18 PM   #226
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I got a whack of avocados today, so I'll be making some guacamole. Most of the time I just eat the avocado plain or sometimes with a tad of onion and a tomato.
Avocado suggestions and ideas welcome here.
Old 09-14-2012, 06:40 AM   #227
Senior LCF Member

Avocados have been my go-to lunch lately. I mash up one avocado with 2 Tablespoons of sour cream and some salt. Yum!
Old 09-20-2012, 10:20 AM   #228
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sissiesue
Stats: 173/129/129
Start Date: September 27, 2010
Hello everyone ::waves:: I'm jumping back in after a long absence, and I have enjoyed reading all of your posts!

Here's what's on deck for me today. Pretty boring, but it gets the job done. I'm hoping to make my own seitan this weekend so that I can avoid the high sodium levels in the commercially made stuff (cheaper, too!)

B: Morningstar vegan griller + broccoli + mushrooms, sauteed in 1 TBS olive oil; 1 cup unsweetened soy milk; vegan multivitamin; coffee

L: 6 oz. firm tofu + broccoli + mushrooms, sauteed in 1 TBS olive oil and spices

D: (Probably) Soy chorizo + spinach, sauteed in olive oil; 1 TBS almond butter; 1 square dark chocolate

S: 1 ounce walnuts
Sissiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2012, 11:38 AM   #229
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Nice to see you. Your menu sounds good.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:25 PM   #230
Senior LCF Member

Hi Sissiesue
Old 09-21-2012, 12:34 PM   #231
Senior LCF Member

I've slipped back into my old habit of not journaling. After that episode this summer with the dehydration and then gaining all that water-weight back, I seemed to be stuck at that higher weight for what seemed like forever and got a bit discouraged., didn't feel like posting much. However, I did not really go off diet, only added more daily calories of the allowed LC foods - I was comfort eating with peanut butter, cheeses and whipped cream. I *think* I am finally breaking that plateau and losing a couple lbs. (and it better NOT be dehydration this time). I don't think it is, but I'll need to give it a week or so to be sure.

I made sliced cabbage for the first time (in a long time) the other day, along with sliced onions, peppers and mushrooms in olive oil and have been using it as a side dish. Now that I've finally made it to a WF's store last week, I plan to make a soup out of it by adding broth, tofu and maybe edamame beans, so it can be a protein meal/soup instead of a side. I also have the fixings for some nice salads again.

So far today:
B - Raw protein powder with 1.5 c of unsweetened soymilk
S - 1-2 Tabl. peanut butter, and then coffee (so I could swallow again)
Old 09-21-2012, 06:02 PM   #232
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Funny, I had cabbage last night too.

Have you ever made roasted cabbage? It's delicious...just be sure and add salt and pepper on top of the olive oil.

Also, if you eat dairy, creamed cabbage is good too. I add parmesan (green can kind) to mine.

The best veggies for our blood sugar are broccoli, cabbage, cauliflower and greens. Of course all veggies are good...those are just better to keep our insulin regulated.

Tonight I'm making bbq'd faux meatballs and yellow squash and probably sliced tomatoes. I'm not in a salad mood today.
Old 09-21-2012, 10:00 PM   #233
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madge17 View Post
Hi Sissiesue
Thanks!

I sense that I'll be eating a lot of the same things over and over . . . here's today's run-down anyway :-)

Breakfast: Trader Joe's Meatless Meatballs + green beans sauteed in coconut oil

Lunch: Tofu + kale sauteed in coconut oil

Dinner: Trader Joe's Meatless Meatballs + cherry tomatoes sauteed in (you guessed it) coconut oil; 1 piece dark chocolate; 1 cup unsweetened soy milk

Snacks: Walnuts; almond butter; raw pepitas

I'm pretty pleased that I can keep my net carbs to around 40 on a vegan version of low-carb. According to my calorie counter, today's total carbs were 68 and fiber was 27. That's not too bad!
Old 09-21-2012, 10:01 PM   #234
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Funny, I had cabbage last night too.

Have you ever made roasted cabbage? It's delicious...just be sure and add salt and pepper on top of the olive oil.
I have never made roasted cabbage . . . but now I'm gonna!! That sounds delish!
Old 09-24-2012, 07:55 AM   #235
Senior LCF Member

Hi Sissiesue

Can you describe the flavor of the TJ meatless meatballs? I'm intrigued. I shop at TJ regularly and I can't recall seeing them, but I don't spend a ton of time around that section since it's typically the most crowded part of the store (meat/meatless/cheese area).
Old 09-24-2012, 08:25 AM   #236
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargD View Post
Hi Sissiesue

Can you describe the flavor of the TJ meatless meatballs? I'm intrigued. I shop at TJ regularly and I can't recall seeing them, but I don't spend a ton of time around that section since it's typically the most crowded part of the store (meat/meatless/cheese area).
The ones that I get are in the freezer section, next to the beef meatballs and turkey balls (they're in bags) and frozen veggies. I hear you about the meat/meatless/cheese area. You have to throw elbows (practically) to get to the cases!

There's really not an assertive flavor -- I think they're supposed to approximate a generic Italian-ish sort of flavor (sans the oregano and basil). They are a bit on the salty side (like other non-meat burgers often are). Also, the texture is a bit different. They're not as firm as, say, something like the Morningstar Vegan Grillers or boca burgers. I like to fry the TJ's meatless balls in a bit of coconut oil or bake them in the oven. The outsides get nice and crisp, but the insides are tender.

I like them because they're easy to make (sometimes I just don't feel like pressing out a block of tofu, yanno?) and cheaper per ounce than the Morningstar Vegan Grillers. Plus I think that they're pretty versatile (can be used as a snack or as part of something more substantial like a curry).

Here's the nutritional information for ya:
Ingredients - water, Textured soy protein concentrate, textured vegetable protein (soy flour, caramel), Seasoning blend: bread crumbs (wheat flour, soybean oil, paprika), salt, pepper, garlic, celery, onion, parsley, wheat gluten, evaporated cane juice, sea salt, natural flavors, modified cellulose gum

Serving size: 6 pieces
Calories: 140
Fat: 6
Sodium: 560
Carb: 8
Fiber: 4
Sugars: 1
Protein: 16
Calcium: 6%
Iron: 15%

Ugh! Sorry this was so long! I hope this helps a little :-)
Old 09-24-2012, 02:47 PM   #237
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sissiesue View Post
The ones that I get are in the freezer section, next to the beef meatballs and turkey balls (they're in bags) and frozen veggies. I hear you about the meat/meatless/cheese area. You have to throw elbows (practically) to get to the cases!

There's really not an assertive flavor -- I think they're supposed to approximate a generic Italian-ish sort of flavor (sans the oregano and basil). They are a bit on the salty side (like other non-meat burgers often are). Also, the texture is a bit different. They're not as firm as, say, something like the Morningstar Vegan Grillers or boca burgers. I like to fry the TJ's meatless balls in a bit of coconut oil or bake them in the oven. The outsides get nice and crisp, but the insides are tender.

I like them because they're easy to make (sometimes I just don't feel like pressing out a block of tofu, yanno?) and cheaper per ounce than the Morningstar Vegan Grillers. Plus I think that they're pretty versatile (can be used as a snack or as part of something more substantial like a curry).

Here's the nutritional information for ya:
Ingredients - water, Textured soy protein concentrate, textured vegetable protein (soy flour, caramel), Seasoning blend: bread crumbs (wheat flour, soybean oil, paprika), salt, pepper, garlic, celery, onion, parsley, wheat gluten, evaporated cane juice, sea salt, natural flavors, modified cellulose gum

Serving size: 6 pieces
Calories: 140
Fat: 6
Sodium: 560
Carb: 8
Fiber: 4
Sugars: 1
Protein: 16
Calcium: 6%
Iron: 15%

Ugh! Sorry this was so long! I hope this helps a little :-)
It helps a lot, thank you! I don't know why I didn't think of the Frozen section....also a very crowded part of the store! I will look for them next time I'm there.
Old 09-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #238
Senior LCF Member

I'm finding new ways to enjoy the same old things. Today's meatless meatballs were made extra tasty by the addition of guacamole!

B: Soy milk; Coffee; Tofu scramble (tofu + spiced + onion/mushroom/pepper sauteed in olive oil). Believe it or not, I'd never really made one of these. Why did I wait so long?!?

L: Macadamia nuts

D: Trader Joe's meatless meatballs with a "dressing" of guacamole cut with Veganaise and super spicy chili oil

Snacks: 1/2 oz. almonds; 1 oz. walnuts
Total carbs = 52; Fiber = 29; Net Carbs = 23. Calories = 1,605.
Old 09-28-2012, 08:23 AM   #239
Senior LCF Member

I haven't been recording here much, but have been closely tracking my food on an Excel spreadsheet.
Thursday
B - 2 eggs, scrambled w/ 1/2T olive oil + 1/4 oz cheese
L - 1 avocado mashed + 2 T sour cream
S - 1/4 c pecans
D - Taco Salad (fake ground beef + spices + lettuce + cheese + sour cream)
S - 3 cream cheese clouds
Old 09-28-2012, 10:15 AM   #240
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm tired of everything I usually eat lately...I guess I'm bored of it all.

Last night I had some hot chow chow and a msf burger on lettuce leaves.