Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 03:20 PM   #151
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargD View Post
On the Recipe Help and Suggestions board, someone posted a really yummy sounding crockpot lasagna recipe that uses shredded zucchini. Can't recall if it was meatless, but I always sub the Morningstar Farms crumbles for the ground beef.

I'm thinking about making it this weekend because my husband is going to be painting the kitchen.
Thanks for the suggestion, MargD. I'll go and check it out.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2012, 07:16 AM   #152
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madge17
WOE: MeatlessLowCarb/LowSodium
Start Date: April 2012
Yesterday

B - Protein powder & almond/coconut milk with 3/4-1 c frozen raspberries
L - 2 oz. cheese, lettuce & cocktail tomato in LC tortilla wrap, coffee
S - 1 hard-boiled egg, green tea
S - 3-4 Tabl. peanut butter mixed with protein powder, green tea
D - 1 oz. stick cheese, lg mixed lettuce salad with feta cheese, tomatoes, baby cuke, 1/2 avocado, OO & vingegar, glass of white wine
S - sugar-free jello & whipped cream

I wanted to snack all day and had a hard time limiting myself to the above.

One mistake I will try hard not to repeat is mixing the protein powder with the last couple inches of PB in the jar...and then eating it from the jar with a spoon. This is just as dangerous for me as is filling a 2 c plastic container up with mixed nuts and seeds and then eating from it - there's no control. I struggled with eating urges throughout the day. Probably more mental than hunger.
Madge17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2012, 08:44 AM   #153
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

There is one thing that does help me not to crave sweets. I don't know if it would help with the nut cravings, but it might be worth a try and it's not expensive. It's called Gymnema Sylvestre and I ordered mine from Puritan's Pride on a B1G2F sale, but they probably have it at walmart--I just never looked. Anyway, I just take one when I feel like my cravings are getting out of control and you can take more if need be, but one usually calms the hungry beast...it doesn't make me not hungry, it just makes me not feel "ravenous" for some sugar or something very carby that I don't need to be eating.
It says it supports carbohydrate metabolism and its herbal...no drugs.
Just a thought...
Old 06-10-2012, 05:26 PM   #154
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madge17
WOE: MeatlessLowCarb/LowSodium
Start Date: April 2012
Thanks Nigel, I have never heard of this herb. I'll check it out.

-----------------------------------
Yesterday
B - 3 scrambled eggs with 2 oz. cheese, 1 Tabl. butter, coffee
S - 1 c SF jello with 1/2 & 1/2 and whipped cream
L - 1/2 c mix sunflower and pumpkin seeds
S - 2 oz. cheese
D - pan-fried tofu with sauce, mixed veggies and OO stir fry glass of almond/coconut milk
S - 1 c SF jello with 1/2 & 1/2 and whipped cream
late S - 1/4 c sunflower and pumpkin seeds
Madge17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 08:23 AM   #155
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sherril
Stats: 207/188.6/125
WOE: Low-carb lacto-ovo vegetarian
Start Date: 11/09 the first time 2/12 this time
Good Morning my friends. I've decided to try and eat more veggies now that it's summer. I have been very lazy about eating, having egg salad and tofurkey slices with cheeses and pickles just about every day. I'm off to the grocery store to find spaghetti squash, spinach, bell peppers, zucchini, mushrooms, cauliflower, and anything else that calls my name. I wish asparagus was a cheap as it was a month ago. Anyway, my plan is to roast a big pan full and make some soup and a casserole or two from it. I'm wondering if I could also add some cherries and peaches in small servings and keep from having cravings. It will be very hard to go through summer without eating summer fruit. I'm trying to stay from those low carb ice cream bars and haven't succumbed yet.

Today's menu

B - pre-exercise cheese stick with hoods chocolate mixed with almond milk and another cheese stick after the exercise

L - big salad with red onion, tofurkey slices, feta, artichoke hearts, tomatoes and blue cheese dressing.

Dinner - stir fried mushrooms, zukes, onions, red bell peppers, and broccoli with some meatless chicken strips.

Cocoa almonds for a snack.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:24 AM   #156
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/127/<119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/5:2
Start Date: May, 2011
Monday

B - 2 eggs scrambled w/ a bit of leftover lobster meat
S - 1/4 c almonds
L - tuna with mayo
S - Mozzarella cheese stick
S - Greek yogurt w/ chia seed mixed in (probably btwn 1/4 and 1/2 cup)
D - Protein Powder pancake (from Linda Sue's website)
S - ~ 12-15 peanuts consumed as I made peanut butter (sigh!)
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2012, 05:17 AM   #157
Senior LCF Member

B - 1/2 c plain, Greek yogurt w/ 1/4 c frozen blueberries
S - 1/4 c almonds
L - 1/2 c low sodium cottage cheese + 1oz peanut butter
S - Mozzarella Cheese stick
D - 2 c roasted caulflower and strawberries w/ whipped cream
S - post workout - peanut butter protein ball

I really didn't want to eat that last snack, but I was ravenous by about 9:30. I never know whether to try to ride it out, or eat something. I'm often afraid I'll have trouble falling asleep if I'm hungry.
Old 06-15-2012, 06:22 AM   #158
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I always have a snack before bed cause I cannot go to sleep if I'm hungry.

Tonight I'm making tacos, trying a new combo.
I am using MSF crumbles, some TVP, and some bulger just to see if the texture comes out better. The last few times I made tacos from crumbles, it came out more like mush instead of crumbles. I figure the combo might make it more consistent.

Yesterday, I had pinto beans for lunch and 2 breakfast tacos in the morning and a couple of slices of cheese before bed. I just didn't have an appetite. I usually eat a lot more than that.

Today, I had cheese and tomatoes for breakfast...don't know what for lunch yet.
Old 06-19-2012, 07:46 AM   #159
Senior LCF Member

Monday

B - 2 eggs, scrambled with mixed veggies
S - 1/4 c almonds
L - 1/2 c low-sodium cottage cheese + 1 oz peanut butter
S - Mozzarella cheese stick
D - 1 serving crockpot lasagna
S - CarbSmart ice cream bar
S - Strawberries and HWC

*had an extra snack in the evening, but I don't think I did too much damage. I've had one last (low-carb) ice cream bar in my freezer for months and I decided yesterday was the day to finish it. A couple hours later I decided to finsh the strawberries while they were still good. The strawberries I've purchased lately have been highly perishable and I have had to throw some away from the last couple packs that I've purchased.
Old 06-20-2012, 06:49 AM   #160
Senior LCF Member

Tuesday

B - 2 eggs scrambled, with mixed veggies
S - 1/2 avocado
L - One Minute Muffin
D - Leftover crockpot lasagna
S - Strawberry Ice Cream (blended frozen strawberries + 1/2 and 1/2 + splenda, so good!)

Experimented with eliminating my afternoon snack and it worked out. I was hungry when I got home from work, but dinner prep was very quick (re-heat in microwave). Not sure how this would work when I have to prepare dinner. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
Old 06-21-2012, 05:16 AM   #161
Senior LCF Member

Wednesday

B - 2 eggs, scrambled w/ mixed veggies
L - Leftover crockpot lasagna
D - Protein Shake + 1/4 cup mixed nuts (pre-workout)
S - Peanut butter protein ball (post-workout)

I made a concerted effort to eat less today and it worked out. It got to be 11am and I still wasn't hungry for my morning snack, so I skipped it. I was hungry by the time I had lunch at 12:30, but it wasn't unbearable. I had a large portion of veggie lasagna for lunch, so I decided I would probably be able to skip my afternoon snack. That was even easier. I made the shake as soon as I got home from work.
Old 06-22-2012, 05:44 PM   #162
Senior LCF Member

Friday

B - 2 eggs, scrambled w/ ~ 1.5 oz cheddar cheese
L - 1/2 c cottage cheese w/ 1 oz peanut butter
S - 1/2 avocado, 1 peanut butter protein ball (pre cycling)
D - Frappe made with 2 scoops protein powder + 1/4 c mixed nuts

I'm hungry right now and trying to ride it out. If it gets really bad, I'll eat a little something.
Old 06-22-2012, 07:03 PM   #163
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargD View Post
Friday

B - 2 eggs, scrambled w/ ~ 1.5 oz cheddar cheese
L - 1/2 c cottage cheese w/ 1 oz peanut butter
S - 1/2 avocado, 1 peanut butter protein ball (pre cycling)
D - Frappe made with 2 scoops protein powder + 1/4 c mixed nuts

I'm hungry right now and trying to ride it out. If it gets really bad, I'll eat a little something.
Do you eat salad? Sometimes a little salad at night or some strawberries will tide me over and then I won't be starving and I can sleep. Are you sure you are eating enough?

I make strawberry ice cream with frozen strawberries, a little sweetner, and some unsweetened almond milk. It tastes pretty good too.

Last edited by Nigel; 06-22-2012 at 07:04 PM..
Old 06-25-2012, 07:13 AM   #164
Senior LCF Member

Not sure if I am eating enough. This is an ongoing experiment. I think a little salad in the evening is a good idea.

Sunday

B - Cinnamon Omelet
S - 5-6 Macadamia nuts
L - Vegetarian unwich from Jimmy John's*
S - Peanut Butter protein ball (had to eat because I was getting nauseated (from hunger) while I was cooking dinner)
D - Seitan and Shiritaki noodles in a sesame sauce
S- About 1T worth of DQ ice cream (my (non LC, non veg) husband decided to treat himself for eating seitan)

*I know this has been mentioned on the site before, but any Jimmy John's sandwich can be ordered as an unwich, meaning it is wrapped in lettuce. Love that.
Old 06-25-2012, 08:09 AM   #165
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I think its okay to have a bite of something high carb as long as you can stop with a bite. I didn't think I could do it, but I learned to and still do on occasion. DQ ice cream is too hard to resist.

My wife got an ice cream sandwich at the dollar tree and I grabbed a fruit bar thinking it would be okay. After I had eaten half of it, I decided to compare the labels. The fruit bar had more carbs and sugar than the ice cream sandwich. Go figure.
Old 06-25-2012, 09:20 AM   #166
Senior LCF Member

I know what you mean, Nigel. Having just a tablespoon of ice cream is something I never thought I could do, but I really savored it and didn't feel the need to have more.

Those fruit bars can have ridiculous carb counts. Instead of "sugar free", some say "no sugar added" and it makes a big difference.
Old 06-26-2012, 01:31 AM   #167
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah, I have noticed the no sugar added is sometimes even worse the the regular stuff. We really have to check the labels these days since the mfg's are all about the big sell instead of our health. I love the cookies that have the hearts on them...heartsmart or something--heck, they are way worse than the oreos. I have to laugh, but what a great marketing strategy. We should have all been in the advertising slogan business.
Old 06-26-2012, 05:13 AM   #168
Senior LCF Member

Monday

B - 2 eggs scrambled w/ asparagus
L - 2 of these http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...tein-bars.html

S - 1/4 c macadamia nuts
S - 1 peanut butter protein ball
D - I made a piece of flat bread (1 egg, beaten + 1/4 c ricotta + spices) and then crumbled a veggie burger to make a loose hamburger sandwich. It tasted great with lots of mustard.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:47 PM   #169
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

mmmm, your flatbread dinner sounds good.
Old 06-26-2012, 12:56 PM   #170
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Nigel. I really enjoyed it.

I got the recipe from the first post of this thread http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...t-recipes.html

I used regular ricotta, instead of fat free.
Old 06-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #171
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imstarryeyed
WOE: lacto ovo pesco vegetarian low carb
Start Date: April 12, 2012
I haven't disappeared and I am happy to stay I've stayed on plan. I'm still in the middle of a family emergency and have no internet at my mom's where I'm staying (except on my iphone where I've gone over my limit twice).

My diet has been pretty much been scrambled eggs with a little cheese and some veggies. That's breakfast and dinner with a cold veggies for lunch. I've been eating well under 1000 calories most days which may account for pretty easy weight loss. I'm down about 30 since beginning low carb in mid April. Although I'm not exercising or even walking my activity level has risen.

Glad to see so many doing well. I miss reading here.
imstarryeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 11:04 PM   #172
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Good to see you here. I hope things get better and you get to go home soon.
Old 06-29-2012, 05:20 AM   #173
Senior LCF Member

Thursday

B - 2 eggs scrambled with asparagus
S - 1/2 c mixed nuts
L - Quest Bar
D - Zucchini noodles with pesto sauce

According to *********, 1,278 calories and 22 net carbs

I have been eating less this week and the scale is not budging for me. I'm up 3-4 lbs from what my stats say (on the left) and I'm baffled. I've already tried eating more, so this is my attempt to eat less. I'm hungry a lot and I'm unhappy that I'm not making any progress. My rings don't seem tight, so I don't think it's water. This morning, I weighed the same as I weighed before bed last night, which seems odd to me. Thanks for listening to my vent.

Last edited by MargD; 06-29-2012 at 05:26 AM..
Old 06-29-2012, 05:27 AM   #174
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstarryeyed View Post
I haven't disappeared and I am happy to stay I've stayed on plan. I'm still in the middle of a family emergency and have no internet at my mom's where I'm staying (except on my iphone where I've gone over my limit twice).

My diet has been pretty much been scrambled eggs with a little cheese and some veggies. That's breakfast and dinner with a cold veggies for lunch. I've been eating well under 1000 calories most days which may account for pretty easy weight loss. I'm down about 30 since beginning low carb in mid April. Although I'm not exercising or even walking my activity level has risen.

Glad to see so many doing well. I miss reading here.
We miss you! Thanks for checking in and best to you and your family.
Old 06-29-2012, 09:14 AM   #175
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi MargD,
I hear you and feel your pain.

What I have been doing is eating small meals or snacks every 2-3 hours. This does work to help keep your blood sugar from spiking which makes you feel like you are starving...and you may very well be if you aren't getting enough food.

There is this concept that I learned and you may already know it, but I'll post it anyway.

If you start a little fire with some small wood chips and you keep adding wood chips to that fire then the fire will keep burning as long as you keep adding the chips. After a while, you can add bigger pieces of wood and the fire will still keep burning. Eventually you can add larger logs and it will still keep burning. It's kind of like fueling up our cars--they don't go too far when the tank gets empry.

This is how our metabolism works.

If you take that same small fire and instead of adding more wood chips and little pieces of wood, etc. and just toss a huge log on top of the wood chips, the fire is going to go out. There just isn't enough fuel/fire to burn up the big log. Sure, it may burn it a little, but a lot of it will be left over.

Think of the little fire as our metabolism. If we basically graze thru the day, that is like the little wood chips. If we wait too long to eat, and then eat a big meal, our body can't keep up and can't burn it all off, so it slows our metabolism and we cannot possibly lose weight.

We are all different, but when we don't eat enough, it's much like the bear going into winter hibernation--our body "wants" to store fat so we won't starve even though we literally are not starving--our bodies don't know that.

i don't know if this might help you, but I thought I'd mention it.

Your meals look good to me, but I would starve if that is all I ate.

It's an adjustment to eat more often, but you don't have to eat lots.

An easy fix is to fill up little containers or baggies with some of what you like. I make up sliced tomatoes, assorted cheeses, any raw veggies I like, black olives, nuts, etc. and I measure them out.

When I get a bag of say almonds, I measure them out into 1/4 cup servings and put them in snack bags. Then I know how many I can eat. When I first started, I even wrote the day of the week on them, so I wouldn't overeat.

As for veggies, I eat as many as I want if they are just raw or cooked.

When I make something that is freezable or good as leftovers, I make extra and serving size that into containers too so that when I'm starving, I can just nuke it fast. I make smoothies and make a double batch, so I can have one in the fridge for later.

I also carry an insulated bag around with me with snacks that I can eat in the car on the way to work, on the way home (I often have to run errands before dinner), and even for breaks or lunchtime. It helps me not be so tempted to eat something I shouldn't.

Honestly, if you are hungry, then you should eat or drink some vegetable juice or something to fill you up. You should not get hungry--to me that means your body needs more nourishment/nutrition.

I don't know if you are counting carbs or calories or both or neither, but I never had any luck counting calories and not until I started eating more carbs, did I begin to lose weight. I know it's hard, but I hope you find out what your body is needing.

Last edited by Nigel; 06-29-2012 at 09:20 AM..
Old 07-01-2012, 12:08 PM   #176
Senior LCF Member

Hi Nigel. I really appreciate your very thoughtful reply. I really love this message board because it provides so much support. The downside, however, is that different approaches seem to work for different people. That can be so frustrating when you don't yet know what works for you.

I was away from home for most of the weekend and the restaurant meals I've been eating have definitely kept me satisfied. I definitely didn't go crazy, but my carbs and calories were both a bit higher than they were during the week. I don't plan to weigh myself until next weekend, so we'll see what happens then. I'm going to try not to obsess this week, while eating enough so that I don't stay hungry.
Old 07-02-2012, 03:14 AM   #177
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yeah, you are right. We all have to do what works for us.

It took me a very long time to figure out a plan/system that would acttually work for me and keep my weight dropping.

After I dropped the weight, I constantly worried about everything I ate fearing I might put the weight right back on. So after several different ideas, I found one that works...my own, just like most people eventually do. I finally learned to stop worrying about food so much and my life became better. It was tough and sometimes it still is cause i'm always tempted. I'm a work in progress, but as long as I don't start gaining weight again, I feel like I'm doing okay.
Old 07-06-2012, 02:27 AM   #178
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Last night's dinner:

Boca burger patty with mustard and bbq sauce and grilled slice of onion
medium red potato made into oven fries
broccoli salad (broccoli, tomato, onion, black olives, mayo)

I was going to have some strawberries for dessert, but I was too full.
Old 07-06-2012, 05:16 AM   #179
Senior LCF Member

Thursday

B - 2 eggs scrambled w/roasted asparagus
L - leftover Lentil Salad
S - 1/4 c pecans
D - Big Salad
S - 2 small squares 85% cocoa
S - Lentil Salad*

*I started eating this while I was preparing my lunch for today. I had been preparing my next day lunch right after dinner to minimize the potential for snacking. I'll have to make sure I do that.

I did go for a walk with my husband later on and got just a bit hungry, so it made me feel better about having eaten the lentils. I was not so hungry that I had to eat, though, I just ignored it.
Old 07-06-2012, 10:00 AM   #180
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's a good idea to plan ahead. I do most of the time and when I don't, I wish I had. It's so much easier for me to carry around a bag of snacks...then I'm not tempted so much to eat things I don't need.

Today I'm making homemade pizza sauce for tomorrow.
I made homemade tomato juice since tomatoes were .77lb yesterday for Roma's.
Then I made some pica de gallo..yum!!

Breakfast, I had 3 sl. American cheese and LC crackers
Lunch, I had a couple of breakfast tacos on LC tortillas and some of my salsa
Dinner is going to be pinto beans, rice, and salsa...I haven't decided if I'm going to make spanish rice or just plain rice--it depends on my energy level.

The wife is having baked pork chops and baked potatoes. Yuk!! Hey, glad it's not me eating it.

I"m making some strawberries with a banana for my after dinner snack.

Tomorrow I'll be making homemade v-8 juice and a strawberry-blueberry smoothie for me and a banana chocolate one for the wife.

I am planning on making homemade pizza for dinner and lunch will just be snacks and wife will have roast beef sandwiches. We are going on a little picnic inbetween all our Saturday errands and visits with relatives.

And for Sunday, I plan on making the almond butter bread into buns...I have some nice size casserole bowls that should be just right for a decent bun. The muffin top pan is better for biscuits than buns. So if all goes well, I'll be having a boca burger on a bun for a nice change...and I don't know what else, maybe oven fried squash.