Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-17-2012, 09:14 AM   #121
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madge17
WOE: MeatlessLowCarb/LowSodium
Start Date: April 2012
Sherril,
Still brainstorming here and had a thought on salad suggestions for your weekend, both of which I have always loved, and may be easy to find in restaurants - Greek salads with feta cheese and olives, etc. and Italian Caprese salad with basil leaves, tomato and fresh mozzarella, drizzled with OO and herbs.

Last weekend hubby surprized me with pizza (which H purchased as our usual half cheese and veggie and half sausage). At first I was upset, but then decided I could still have it by scraping the topping off of the pizza crust onto a plate and eating it with a fork. It was messy - and I did longingly look at the crust - but heck, it still tasted great and felt indulgent. Maybe this could work in a pinch.
Madge17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-18-2012, 07:16 PM   #122
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Nigel

Yesterday

B- lg (icy) choc protein powder drink (Teraswhey brand) w/ 8 oz. vanilla soy milk
L - 1 hard-boiled egg
S - 3 oz. of Montery Jack cheese
D - 3 oz. fried tofu w/ 1 Tabl. sauce, Lg salad - (3 c spring mix, 1/2 tomato, 2-3 oz tomato & basil flavored Feta cheese, 12 Kalamata olives) w/ several Tabl. of OO and red wine vinegar
S - 1 c raw cauliflower & dip
late S - 1 c Fage Greek yoghurt w/ 4 fresh strawberries

So far for today
B- 3 scrambled eggs w butter & coffee
L - 4 oz. of assorted cheeses
D - 1 c. cottage cheese and 1 c cooked kale, 8 oz. vanilla soy milk
Snacks tonight? yet, probably either yoghurt or maybe raw veggies & dip, w/ a rum & diet coke

How's everybody doing? It's been kind of quiet here.
Old 05-20-2012, 05:17 PM   #123
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday
B - Protein shake w Hoods Choc milk + 1 T. 1/2 & 1/2
S - 1 HB egg
L - 4 oz. cheese, rum & diet coke
D - lg. salad consisting of 3-4 c spring mix, 3 oz. feta cheese, 1 avocado, 1 tomato, cucumber, mushroom, onion, peppers, vinegar & OO, coffee
S - 1 oz. cheese, diet coke
Old 05-21-2012, 10:27 AM   #124
Senior LCF Member

U]Yesterday[/U]
B - 3 eggs scrambled w mushroom, onion, pepper, 2 slices of Co-Jack cheese & 1 T. butter
S - 3 T. PB
D - lg salad of 3 c spring mix, 3 oz. cheese, 1 avocado, 1 tomato, mushroom, onion, cucumber, peppers, OO and vinegar
S - mixed raw veggies (broccoli, cauliflower & baby carrots) w dip
Late S - 2 slices Co-Jack cheese, diet root beer w 2-3 T. of half & half & whipped cream (thanks Sherril that mock root beer float was good)
Old 05-21-2012, 08:31 PM   #125
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sherril
Stats: 207/188.6/125
WOE: Low-carb lacto-ovo vegetarian
Start Date: 11/09 the first time 2/12 this time
Hey my friends! You should all be proud of me, I sure am. I ate low carb vegetarian the whole time I was there. Starting with when I was on the plane, I brought my own tofurkey/provolone/pickle roll-ups. Then I had caprese salad with roasted asparagus sprinkled with Parmesan cheese for dinner that first night. The second day I had brought some almond pancakes and had a couple of those and then we found a fantastic deli and I had some Cesar salad, egg salad, artichoke salad. It was delicious. That night I ordered roasted Italian veggies and a side salad. The next day I had pancakes for breakfast and snacked on almonds and cheese and had a small lettuce and veggie salad for lunch. Then for dinner we went back to Little Italy and I got the most luscious, cheesy veggie lasagna ever. Then I proceeded to pick out the pasta sheets and ate the cheese and veggies with the sauce. Yum! I found a Whole Foods and ate at the salad bar for breakfast and had another salad, where I picked out the black beans and corn on the plane for the ride home. I'm a bit sick of salad and veggies at the moment, but I think I lost a couple of pounds. At least my clothes are fitting more loosely! Tomorrow I'm going to Knott's Berry Farm with the 8th graders so finding food there is going to be another difficulty. I think I'm up for more tofurkey roll-ups.
Old 05-21-2012, 08:34 PM   #126
Senior LCF Member

Madge, good job dropping those pounds! I knew you could do it.
Sherril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 12:38 AM   #127
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
You did good, Sherril, better than I would have. I probably would have given in to the lasagne noodles.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2012, 11:13 AM   #128
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imstarryeyed
WOE: lacto ovo pesco vegetarian low carb
Start Date: April 12, 2012
Wow, Sherril, good job! I'm jealous. All that wonderful food AND NYC. It really makes sense you could eat safely there. What city has more diversity in people and food than NYC? I love Little Italy. My son used to live on Mulberry Street between to restaurants and I've had many a high carb meal there. Hope your day at Knott's is just as successful! At least you'll get lots of walking in!
imstarryeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2012, 11:38 AM   #129
Senior LCF Member

I found a restaurant at Knott's that served a veggie soup. The potato was easy to pick out and the corn sat at the bottom of my dish. It was really good, as well as the tofurkey roll-ups I brought. I put a couple of cheese sticks in my bag for good measure. I was very successful. This low carb vegetarian eating just keeps getting easier and easier and my weight is steadily dropping. Now if I could only keep my pants from dropping off!
Old 05-27-2012, 12:05 PM   #130
Senior LCF Member

So, have you all not been eating lately? Since I've gotten home, I've been cooking casseroles. My favorite is the Linda's Cheesy Chicken Broccoli Casserole using fake chicken and fake bacon and adding mushrooms and artichoke hearts for a very veggie filling meal. Salads, egg salad, and tofurkey roll-ups with some nuts and cheese added in. Very boring but at least I don't go hungry. In a pinch, I slice a zuke, toss with seasonings and nuke it until done, then sprinkle with Parmesan cheese.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #131
Senior LCF Member

I'm eating very similar meals everyday. My hunger has really diminished so I don't think much about food. Most days my meals look like this:

B- Coffee and coconut oil candy

L- 2 eggs with yogurt cheese, onion, radishes, dollop of sour cream

D- veggies (often cauliflower, sometimes squash) roasted with CO sprinkled with parm

S- square of sugar free dark chocolate and/or 1/4 c sunflower seeds

Sometimes I have grilled fish for dinner. I've been very anemic in the past and I try to find high iron food to eat. Since liver is out I'm looking for fish. The iron that is bio-available in most veggies is negligible. I've never had sardines but I'm going to try some because of the high iron content.

Lots of energy and I'm losing so I can't complain. Down 20 since my start date.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:08 PM   #132
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I've been eating, but mostly the same old things, lots of salad since it's been so hot. I made a raspberry salad dressing with some s/f torani syrup that was pretty good. I might kick it up a notch with some s/f orange marmalade for the next salad.

I eat bocas and MSF big burgers, green beans, sometimes boca crumbles for tacos and today I'm having an omlette with onion, bell pepper, and mushroom and sliced tomatoes on the side.

For breakfast, I just had some american cheese...it's my breakfast of choice lately. Easy, ya know. My wife wants breakfast for dinner, so I chose omlettes. We do that once in a while, change up breakfast and dinner.

I had to go shopping today and all the fresh baby spinach was lousy....I've learned to like this stuff a lot.

I'm still drinking my homemade v-8+ juice, but this week, without the spinach.

I bought the MSF chicken griller patties today, so I'll post under product reviews after I have one later on this week. They are new to me. The only ones I'd seen before had the breading on them and these don't.

During the summer, I eat a lot of grilled stuff, veggies and faux meat and salads and sometimes smoothies made with strawberries and almond milk instead of a meal.
Old 05-27-2012, 02:10 PM   #133
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstarryeyed View Post
I'm eating very similar meals everyday. My hunger has really diminished so I don't think much about food. Most days my meals look like this:

B- Coffee and coconut oil candy

L- 2 eggs with yogurt cheese, onion, radishes, dollop of sour cream

D- veggies (often cauliflower, sometimes squash) roasted with CO sprinkled with parm

S- square of sugar free dark chocolate and/or 1/4 c sunflower seeds

Sometimes I have grilled fish for dinner. I've been very anemic in the past and I try to find high iron food to eat. Since liver is out I'm looking for fish. The iron that is bio-available in most veggies is negligible. I've never had sardines but I'm going to try some because of the high iron content.

Lots of energy and I'm losing so I can't complain. Down 20 since my start date.
Do you like beets? They have a good iron content, according to my wife who eats them every day. I have no idea about the carb count.

Also, if you are anemic, you might want to get a B-12 shot or some B-12 vitamins.
Old 05-27-2012, 03:57 PM   #134
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Do you like beets? They have a good iron content, according to my wife who eats them every day. I have no idea about the carb count.

Also, if you are anemic, you might want to get a B-12 shot or some B-12 vitamins.
Beets do seem to have some iron. No plant based food has the large amount that meat has. I like beets but only seem to eat them in a salad bar.

My doctor said my B-12 is ok. I do take lots of vitamins. My hemoglobin level is where it needs to be now but my iron stores are depleted so I'm always looking for iron rich food. I was anemic for many years until I was barely able to walk, and although my anemia is seemingly resolved now I have a lot of hair loss and it has NOT grown back.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:20 PM   #135
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Do you use the protein powder to get in enough daily protein and does it help to give you energy?

I've been thinking I might not be getting enough protein and maybe a I need an energy shake or something also.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:51 AM   #136
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yesterday, I had the ultimate taco salad.

Leftover taco seasoned boca crumbles
on top of chopped romaine lettuce
sliced green onions
halved black olives
sour cream
taco bell taco sause
1/2 large pickled jalepeno
shredded cheese
1 roma tomato and 1 homegrown small garden tomato

Today, I made boca crumbles sloppy joes with mustard and cheese...on top of chopped romaine......yumm!!
Old 06-02-2012, 09:39 AM   #137
Senior LCF Member

I don't use protein powder much. I hope I'm getting enough protein in my diet. I usually get about 60 grams a day. I know too much protein defeats doing low carb. For several months after my son was killed I ate terribly. No protein. Just macaroni with NO cheese. That was 2 years ago and my body may still be recovering.

I haven't changed my meals up much. Pretty boring- eggs, roasted veggies, some fish here and there. I haven't been eating many salads lately because the cheese I want to put on them seems to stall me. I've started cooking in cast iron to get more iron in my food.

That Ultimate Taco Salad sounds pretty good!
Old 06-02-2012, 05:55 PM   #138
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks.

I'm sorry to hear about your son.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:10 PM   #139
Senior LCF Member

Thank you Nigel- I am doing really okay now. Trying hard to restore my health.

B- coconut oil candy
L- eggs, cheese, avocado, onion, sour cream
D- salmon cooked in CO
Old 06-04-2012, 04:00 PM   #140
Senior LCF Member

Sherril, Way to go on both sticking to your diet and the weightloss!
-------------------------
imstarryeyed, I'm so sorry to read of your loss! As a Mom, I can't even begin to imagine the pain you've been through. Keep up the good work on getting healthy! I'm very impressed with both you and Sherril's weightloss.
Old 06-05-2012, 06:01 PM   #141
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/119/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
imstarryeyed, sorry to hear about your son. When I was six years old, my 18 year old brother was killed in a traffic accident. Though I was young, I can vividly recall how utterly devastating it was to my parents, really our entire family, for quite a period of time.

I'm glad to hear you're doing better these days.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2012, 08:00 AM   #142
Senior LCF Member

I want to get back in the habit of posting my food for the day.

B - 2 eggs scrambled w/ roasted, mixed vegetables
S - 1/2 Avocado
L - tuna salad
S - Mozzarella cheese stick
D - Vegetarian lettuce wraps*
S - Fresh strawberries w/ HWC

*My non veg, non LC husband calls this his favorite LC dinner. You can find the recipe at the pioneer woman website, search for tofu. I sub green onion for the corn.
Old 06-06-2012, 08:49 AM   #143
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Your menu sounds good MargD.

Yesterday, I just had leftover and a big salad. Nothing exciting.

Today I'm not sure what I'm having yet--the wife is at the grocery store, so maybe she'll bring home a surprise or two.
Old 06-07-2012, 08:40 AM   #144
Senior LCF Member

I've decided I'm eating too much fat and drinking too many diet sodas. I'm stalling in my loss again so today it will be about lots of veggies and some veggie protein with good quality fats like avocado and nuts. I've been eating a lot of egg salad lately and with the egg yolks and mayo, I think the fat is stalling my loss. Calories do still count.

B - scrambled eggs with spinach, tomato, mushrooms, green onions and cheddar cheese left over from yesterday's lunch.

L - A big salad at a restaurant. Light on the blue cheese dressing.

D - Fake chicken and broccoli casserole. I need to finish this up, but it has mayo and sour cream in it.

S - Cocoa almonds
Old 06-07-2012, 10:32 AM   #145
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Good looking menus there! Sherril, sounds like a good plan to get things moving again!

I just had the most kick-arse lunch .. I was disappointed because the avocados in the house are too firm to mash with cheese and salsa for lunch .. so I improvised and I just threw together ingredients I happened to have around .. and wow! I'm making it again .. sooon, lol! Firm avocado is just fine in this!

It was so good that I took a picture, lol!!!

KickArse Avocado Feta Lunch Salad

5 oz grape tomatoes
1/2 medium avocado
1 oz good feta cheese
2 T balsamic dressing

Halve the grape tomatoes lengthwise, cut the avocado into similiar-sized chunks. Crumble the feta on top and mix with dressing .. 1 serving
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2012, 06:38 PM   #146
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That looks good TaDa!
Old 06-08-2012, 07:00 AM   #147
Senior LCF Member

That DOES look good.

Thursday
B - 2 eggs scrambled w/chives, cheddar and a dollop of sour cream
S - 7-8 almonds
L - One Minute Muffin
S - The rest of the 1/4 cup almonds and mozzarella cheese stick
D - Small, chopped salad and bowl of lobster bisque soup (restaurant)

I knew I was going to be in meetings all morning, so I made an extra fatty breakfast and it worked great. I had breakfast around 6:45 and wasn't hungry until noon.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:39 AM   #148
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

A freind gave me a big zucchini from her garden. Now I've just got to figure out to what to make with it. So that's my big job for today. lol
Old 06-08-2012, 09:59 AM   #149
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
A freind gave me a big zucchini from her garden. Now I've just got to figure out to what to make with it. So that's my big job for today. lol
On the Recipe Help and Suggestions board, someone posted a really yummy sounding crockpot lasagna recipe that uses shredded zucchini. Can't recall if it was meatless, but I always sub the Morningstar Farms crumbles for the ground beef.

I'm thinking about making it this weekend because my husband is going to be painting the kitchen.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:59 AM   #150
Senior LCF Member

MadgD,
I haven't been posting or journaling what I'm eating lately either. Time to start again.

TaDa,
Your avocado salad looks similar to mine, except mine is on top of spring mix and I have more veggies too. I took pics of my 3 best meals so far (one is that salad), but I can't post the photos yet since I'm too new.

From memory - yesterday - bad day

B - 3 scrambled eggs with cheese and butter
S - dish of Greek yoghurt with handful of blueberries
S/L - cooked broccoli and cauliflower (couple baby carrots)
S - 1 1/2 c mixed nuts and seeds
D - Greek yoghurt
S - approx. 1/3-1/2 c PB mixed with protein powder
S - raw veggies and dip

Breakfast today
protein drink with almond/coconut milk and 1 c frozen raspberries (kind of yucky tasting with the Almond Breeze) won't be mixing fruit with that liquid again