Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-23-2012, 05:53 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sherril
Stats: 207/188.6/125
WOE: Low-carb lacto-ovo vegetarian
Start Date: 11/09 the first time 2/12 this time
Nigel, I'm so jealous of your peach. When they really come in to season I might have to have a few. I can resist all fruit, especially since I don't care for berries of any kind. But peaches, like candy from the Gods.

Today I met some friends in Downtown Los Angeles for fabric shopping and we ate at Olvera Street, Mexican food. I resisted chips and those delicious refried beans and got a salad.

Late breakfast at 11:30 - Cesar salad (no croutons) with taco sauce marinated chicken-less strips.
Lunch at 5 pm - Tofurkey rollups around a pickle spear with some provolone cheese and mayo.
Dinner - 9:30 pm - egg salad on romaine leaves

Sponsored Links
Old 04-23-2012, 07:21 PM   #62
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madge17
WOE: MeatlessLowCarb/LowSodium
Start Date: April 2012
Pauline,
I had a large salad for dinner, with cottage cheese again and raw veggies ( a few were baby carrots). I plan to eat more raw veggies this evening while we watch more of the "Planet Earth" series. That's when my snacking urge really wants to kick in - that, and when I see hubby eating goodies. As long as I have something for myself I'll be ok as I try to tame the bad habits. I may even have my first 20 carb day!
Madge17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2012, 09:32 PM   #63
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imstarryeyed
WOE: lacto ovo pesco vegetarian low carb
Start Date: April 12, 2012
Pretty much the same as everyday except I tried some TJ's chickenless strips for dinner.

B- egg with chiles and cheese
L- salad with chopped veggies, sour cream, olives
D- grilled chickenless strips, summer squash with parm
S- 3 T whip cream with sweetner, cheese stick
imstarryeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:45 AM   #64
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/123/119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
Monday
B - 2 eggs, scrambled w/ mixed veggies
S - 1/2 Avocado
L - 1/2 cup low-sodium cottage cheese + 1 oz peanut butter
S - Mozzarella cheese stick
S - after work and before my workout, I had a chia shake* + 1 peanut butter protein ball
D - Pauline's Blackened Eggplant Parmagiana Favorite vegetarian low carb/high protein meals)

*Chia Shake (posted by dianafoot in this thread:http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...8662-chia.html)
1 cup unsweetened almond milk
1 T unsweetened cocoa powder
1 T chia seeds
1 drop liquid sucralose
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 11:27 AM   #65
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I'm going to try dianafoot's shake today too. I got some almond milk yesterday.

Yesterday's food:

(don't be jealous of the peach, it wasn't that great...lol) They looked really good in the store, but looks can be decieving....

4 peanut butter and crackers
2 slices American cheese

scrambled eggs with shredded cheese & picante sauce

1 tangerine (that sucker was super sour)
1 small orange

Big Salad with Gouda Cheese, mixed greens and lettuce, 2 small tomatoes, 1/2 big cucumber and homemade thousand island dressing

I didn't do so well on the cheese today, but I'm working on cutting down. It's my protein of choice and somehow I have to adjust to less of it.

s/f strawberry jello for dessert

Last edited by Nigel; 04-24-2012 at 11:28 AM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 03:25 PM   #66
Senior LCF Member

I've been having the same things over and over again but tonight I'm making lasagna with low carb tortillas for noodles.
Sherril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2012, 06:15 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Today:
B - 2 hard boiled eggs, coffee
L - grilled tofu with broccoli, zukes, carrots, and glass of dry white wine (had lunch out)
S - 5-6 almonds
D - 3 cooked tofu cubes from salad bar, along with 1/4 cup steamed kale , 1/4 cup antioxidant chopped veggie mix, with a sprinkling of feta, edamame, artichoke hearts, sunflower seeds and shredded cheese ( and I have enough of this mix to use as salad toppings for the next couple days too)

If I need a snack tonight, it will probably be the raw veggies and dip I didn't eat last night
Old 04-24-2012, 10:00 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

B- 2 eggs with chiles, cheese, radishes

L-D Salad bar at Sizzlers- lots of greens and veggies, cheese, olives and sour cream

S- coffee with da vinci sugar free coconut syrup and 1 T cream
Old 04-25-2012, 05:14 AM   #69
Senior LCF Member

Tuesday

B - 2 eggs scrambled with mixed veggies
S - 1/2 Avocado
L - 1/2 c low-sodium cottage cheese + 1 oz peanut butter
S - 1/2 c plain, greek yogurt
D - Taco salad*

*(Morningstar crumbles + Linda Sue's taco seasoning + cheddar cheese + shredded lettuce + guacamole)

Can't believe I didn't eat anything after dinner. At one point, I was really jonesing for something.

Today (Wednesday) the company I work for is providing a pizza/pasta lunch. There are already cookies and soda in the lunchroom. I know I'll resist, but it still bothers me.
Old 04-26-2012, 09:30 AM   #70
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday
B - protein powder, 8 oz. milk, 2/3 frozen strawberries, coffee
L - 3 packaged cheese sticks
D - Lg. salad topped with 1 cup mixed chopped salad toppings, 4 tofu cubes, feta cheese sprinkles, 1/2 tomato, 1/2 cuke, artichoke hearts with 3 Tabl. Italian dressing, 5 oz. Hoods choc milk
S - 4 choc almonds
Late S - 1/4 cup mixed nuts (almonds, peanuts, walnuts, pistachio, hazelnuts)
Old 04-26-2012, 09:43 AM   #71
Senior LCF Member

MargD,
Stay strong I know how hard it is to be in close proximity of goodies and be tempted all day. Last night I was soooo tempted to grab some chips from hubby, but I grabbed the nuts instead. The cheering squad in my head tells me that I've been working at this for too many weeks now, to just throw it away. I also know myself and one little slip with a "junk trigger food" could unravel it all for me - mentally. I may or may not want to try and get back up on that horse again, so I'm trying to not fall off in the first place. If I'm going to fall from this LC diet, it's going to be with a piece of fruit.

I hope today goes well for you!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:01 AM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Thank you, Madge. The pizza, pasta, cookie, salad and soda party was yesterday (Wednesday) and I'm happy to report that I resisted all, except salad, which I decided to eat for my afternoon snack (just avoided the lunchroom as much as possible during lunchtime).

I couldn't believe there were still a good number of cookies left when I was leaving at the end of the day!
Old 04-26-2012, 11:04 AM   #73
Senior LCF Member

Wednesday

B - 2 eggs scrambled + the last of the mixed veggies
L - 1/2 c yogurt + 1 oz of almond butter
S - generous amount of salad + dressing
D - leftover Taco Salad
S (post workout) 1 peanut butter protein ball
Old 04-26-2012, 05:03 PM   #74
Senior LCF Member

Good job MargD, I was concerned that the temptation would be too much for you. I'm not sure I could do it. I'm leaving in a few weeks for a long weekend trip to NYC. Bagels, pasta, and other yummy stuff will certainly be tempting me. I've decided I want to keep on the straight and narrow while I'm there, but I will be drinking with my buddies so food might become a problem.

B - 2 scrambled eggs with MSF sausage patties

L - low carb tortilla, burger crumble, cheddar and mushroom enchilada and a steamed zucchini with a sprinkle of Parmesan cheese.

S - Cheese stick

D -Salad w/egg, tomato, avocado, romaine, red onion, and feta.

Today I've been hungry but tried to keep my portions small and drink lots of water instead of eating too much.
Old 04-27-2012, 06:43 AM   #75
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Sherril! It felt good to walk away from the treats on Wednesday. Unfortunately, things took an unfortunate turn on Thursday night. Not sure if it was because my husband wasn't home? I felt kind of at loose ends and I dealt with it by snacking.

B - One Minute Muffin w/ 1/4 c blueberries
S - 1/2 Avocado
L - Leftover frittata with asparagus and gruyere
S - After work I had a handful of mixed nuts
D - Zoodles (zucchini noodles) with ~1/2 c pasta sauce + parmesan cheese

S - My intention was to make an icy chia shake, but it didn't turn out. I ate it anyway, and my dissatisfaction with it seemed to trigger a desire for more more more. I then had 1 square of Lindt 85% cocoa, another handful of mixed nuts and LC ice cream (about 1/2 to 3/4 c of frozen blueberries blended with HWC and liquid Splenda--my fave treat).

So, I stayed LC, but I'm disappointed in myself. I hope to keep things under control this evening.
Old 04-27-2012, 11:31 AM   #76
Senior LCF Member

MargD, don't be too hard on yourself, you did stay LC afterall I derailed a little bit too last night. My son got here around 9 p.m. and I made him a grilled cheese and corn. Hubby decided to have choc cake and later DS and DH had ice cream Later we all had 1 or 2 rum & cokes (I had the nuts) and talked until midnight.

Yesterday

B - 3 sm eggs, 3 Tabl mayo, and 1 stick celery= egg salad bowl
S - 3 cheese sticks
L - lg bowl cream of cauliflower soup
D - lg salad with the rest of previous days' toppings
S - 2 cheese sticks
S #2 - several handfuls of mixed nuts and 2 rum & diet cokes
I suppose I could have done better, but I could have done worse too. The next few days are much more planned out.....at least I hope they are.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:45 PM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

breakfast taco w/mission lc tortilla
apple
fresh squeezed orange juice

sun burger
salad
green beans

popcorn (my bad!!)

tangerine
orange

tomato juice

not very lc today, but I was just craving fruit for some reason and I have a whack of oranges to use up (good excuse? LOL)
Old 04-27-2012, 01:16 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Madge: I hope you're enjoying the time with your boy. That's the most important consideration.
Old 04-27-2012, 07:11 PM   #79
Senior LCF Member

B- 2 eggs with a slice of yogurt cheese and 2 radishes
L- big salad of greens and veggies with 5 olives, T sunflower seeds, shredded cheese, sour cream
D- I decided to eat some fish I had in the freezer- 4oz albacore tuna steak cooked in butter, half avocado
S- celery stalks with a little cream cheese
Old 04-27-2012, 11:38 PM   #80
Senior LCF Member

There was a pot luck at work today and someone sat the large plate of brownies right in front of me, and I ignored it! I ate my brought from home lunch and behaved myself. Then I went to Disneyland. We ate at a Mexican restaurant and I had a rum and diet, Cesar salad w/o croutons, and a chili relleno a la carte. The problem was we ordered the tableside made guacamole so I had about 6 tortilla chips to eat the guac with. It was delicious! I still think I did pretty good considering all things. I hope I'm not super hungry tomorrow. We'll see. I lost a half a pound this week so I hope I didn't ruin my downward moving direction either.
Old 04-28-2012, 11:37 PM   #81
Senior LCF Member

Sherril, I'm going to a Mexican restaurant Wednesday and have been trying to figure out what to eat. All of their salads have meat, which I could have them hold, but the salads are expensive and I'm afraid I'd get a bunch of lettuce for $12. I was thinking of a chili relleno. Do you think that's the best choice?

Congrats on avoiding the brownies!
Old 04-29-2012, 12:35 PM   #82
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm not Sherrill, but I think chile relleno would be good, hold the meat if it has meat. Some places have just cheese ones and some have meat in them.

I would also order up guacamole or avocado to go with a salad. If you eat beans, you could get beans and rice, even though that is not low carb. You could ask for queso (cheese) to go on the beans and skip the rice.

You could also just order cheese to go on the salad as well.

Maybe the restaurant has a menu online and you can check it out first. I often call the restaurant to ask for special orders to see if they can accomodate me. I have even placed my order over the phone for when I arrive, it just depends on the restaurant you are going to.

Some mexican restaurants offer breakfast all day. If you eat eggs, you could order eggs to go along with a salad.

If you eat beans, you could always get the bean and cheese burrito and eat the filling along with a salad. (again, if you eat beans)

Some of them offer cheese dip/queso dip which is good eaten with a spoon. Some of them even have spinach in them or other veggies.

There are usually quesadillas too, but not low carb. Of course if it were me, I'd probably blow my low carb diet for the one meal just to make it easier, but I'm not giving that as advice. I think you will find a way to stay LC and Vegetarian, but you might have to get a little creative.

My fave thing is the cheese enchilada plate with usually comes with rice and beans and some salad or guacamole. It isn't LC, but it is a filling plate most of the time.

Tostadas or Chalupas can be ordered with just beans and cheese and topped with salad, guacamole, sour cream also, but not LC.

If you find out if the restuarant has an onine menu and want to post the name of it here (not the link, just the name) I will do my best to help you figure out something as low carb as they offer.

Since I do eat beans about once a week, I have snuck in my own low carb tortillas and ordered a bowl of beans, queso, and guacamole and used my mission tortillas to make my own bean tacos and they were great. I didn't feel mistreated and I got full.

I was looking at Azteca Mexican restaurant's menu online just now for kicks and they have veggie enchiladas and black bean soup. I never saw those at a mexican restaurant I've been to, so you just never know.

Last edited by Nigel; 04-29-2012 at 12:36 PM..
Old 04-29-2012, 12:55 PM   #83
Senior LCF Member

I usually order a chili relleno in Mexican restaurants. It does have some white flour in the egg batter, but only a tiny amount. It has the chili which is a low carb veggie and the egg batter. The tomato paste/sauce based sauce is probably a bit carby as well, but not anything close to eating the beans and rice. I get the chili relleno and a side salad, hold the croutons. I like a Cesar salad because it usually comes with cheese. A side of sour cream or guac to go on top of the chili relleno makes it feel like a special treat. This isn't for everyday, just so you know. But as a treat while out, and without overdoing it on the carbs, you can swing it. Be sure to order a la carte to avoid the rice and beans.
Old 04-29-2012, 06:18 PM   #84
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Nigel and Sherril!

I think I'll go with the chile relleno and side salad. I'm not eating beans or rice. It will probably be higher in carbs than I like but I can manage that for one day. I've looked at the menu online and every entree salad has meat and I don't want to pay for that. I think I will have guacamole and sour cream with my meal. But NO chips. Sounds pretty yummy right now.
Old 05-02-2012, 05:38 AM   #85
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
just one more thought Gloria ..

I often get the veggie fajitas .. so grilled veggies, sour cream, guacamole, cheddar, lettuce and tomato and either bring in your own lc pita or tortilla (and decline the rice and beans), or throw it all on a side salad .. really delish and fatty with the sour cream, guac and cheese.

that said I have to admit, even when losing weight, I would sometimes go for chili relleno, or for eggplant parmigiana (at Italian) and just hope for minimal breadcrumbs (some places are better or worse than others in that regard!). I think your plan sounds solid!!!!
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2012, 09:00 AM   #86
Senior LCF Member

Tuesday

B - 2 eggs scrambled with mixed veggies
S - 1/2 Avocado
L - btwn 1/2 and 3/4 cup tuna with Lemonaise*
S - 1/2 c mixed nuts (may have been a bit more, too much)
D - Sesame Tofu with Spinach from moosewoodcooks web site.

*I hope it's okay to post this here, I'm more pescatarian than vegetarian.
Old 05-02-2012, 12:13 PM   #87
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yes, please keep posting. Everyone is welcome here and your menu sounds good too.
Old 05-03-2012, 08:53 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Thanks, Nigel. I thought it was probably okay, but just wanted to be sure.

Wednesday

B - 2 eggs scrambled w/ mixed veggies
S - 1/2 Avocado
L - Leftover frittata
S - After work - Mixed nuts
D - Leftover Sesame Tofu with Spinach

I have managed to co-exist with mixed nuts for almost a year, but I find myself unable to control myself lately. When this package runs out, I'm taking a break. I don't seem to have a problem with almonds, so I'll keep those around as long as I can control myself.
On the main board, I have heard many say that they have portion control problems with nuts and I was always so happy I didn't have that problem. Now I do.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:03 AM   #89
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

What I do is measure them out into those little snack bags. I was eating 1/4 cup per day and then I upped it to 1/3 cup per day and I didn't gain, so I figured that was the amount for me. By putting the entire can into individual snack bags, I learned to eat only that one snack bag per day. Otherwise, I'd probably sit there and eat half the can. You could weigh them instead of using the measuring cups for more accuracy too.

I had to do this when I first started Atkins cause I had no control over my portions and I fnally got accustomed to it. I don't know if that mght work for you, but it did for me. I keep the extra bags of nuts in the freezer and just take out one a day. I usually eat them at the same time every day so I remember if I've had them. My wife used to put the date on the bags for me, but it wasn't necessary. That would help though.

Last edited by Nigel; 05-03-2012 at 10:04 AM..
Old 05-03-2012, 11:03 AM   #90
Senior LCF Member

That's a good suggestion, Nigel. What I used to do is take 1/4 cup with me to work everyday as a snack. This worked well for months and months. About two months ago, I noticed that I was starting to also have a handful (or more) after work. After I recognized what I was doing, I was able to cut the after-work nuts out for about a month.

Then I started to experiment with taking different snacks to work, so somehow that made me feel entitled to fill a small dish with nuts and snack on them as I cooked dinner.

Unfortunately, for the last two weeks, I've been refilling the small container, somtimes more than once. I think it's time to take a break from the mixed nuts. When I have some distance from them, I'll likely try your method to reintroduce them. That is a few months down the road, I think.