Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2012, 06:35 PM   #31
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imstarryeyed
WOE: lacto ovo pesco vegetarian low carb
Start Date: April 12, 2012
B- 2eggs fried in tab butter w/ 1/4 shredded cheese

L- Big veggie salad w/ 1/2 shredded cheese and 2 T sour cream

D- Artichoke w/ melted butter

snack- slice yogurt cheese
imstarryeyed is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 04-14-2012, 07:38 PM   #32
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sherril
Stats: 207/188.6/125
WOE: Low-carb lacto-ovo vegetarian
Start Date: 11/09 the first time 2/12 this time
Was down a pound for the week. Finally moving on the scale again.

Saturday menu

B - Cheese stick and Hood's chocolate milk/almond milk

L - Broccoli soup w/ 2 tofurkey roll-ups with mayo, pickle and provolone

D - Mushroom cheddar omelet with avocado and roasted asparagus

S - Cocoa roast almonds

Last edited by Sherril; 04-14-2012 at 08:16 PM..
Sherril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 10:43 PM   #33
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Both of ya'lls menus sound good to me. Congrats on the weight loss too!
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012, 02:25 PM   #34
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Nigel. Monday's menu

b - egg salad with a cheese stick and you guessed it, Hoods w/almond milk

S - cashews - too many!

l - big salad w/feta, red onion, artichoke hearts, egg, avocado, tomatoes and blue cheese dressing.

D - broccoli cheese cassarole - gotta use up that fake bacon.
Old 04-16-2012, 08:47 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Brunch- egg scramble w/ green chiles, cheese, sour cream and couple of tomato slices

Dinner - big salad w/ chopped veggies and cheese

Snack- cucumber and cream cheese
Old 04-17-2012, 09:46 PM   #36
Senior LCF Member

B- eggs with cheese

L- big salad with avocado and cheese

D- zucchini grilled and sprinkled with parmesan- really yummy

S- spoonful of coconut manna
Old 04-17-2012, 10:13 PM   #37
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Today I made a vegetarian meatloaf...one I just made up.
The taste was good, but it didn't have the right texture, it was too crumbly.

Now I'm off to search for a recipe. I've been in search of the perfect vegetarian loaf for a long time, but none of them have turned out very good.
Old 04-17-2012, 11:14 PM   #38
Senior LCF Member

I've made a really good Shepard's Pie using quinoa but it's definitely NOT low carb. I've tried to figure out how to adjust it. I haven't worked with any fake meat.
Old 04-18-2012, 08:19 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/119/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
Tuesday

B - 2 eggs, scrambled with a handful of baby spinach
S - 1/4 c mixed nuts
L - 1/2 c low-sodium cottage cheese mixed with 1 oz peanut butter
S - 1/2 c plain, Greek yogurt
D - Sloppy Joe Casserole
S - 2 squares Lindt 85% chocolate

I had been drinking a glass or two of Crystal Light with dinner, but I'm experimenting with eliminating it. i think that might have been why I felt so compelled to have something after dinner, which turned out to be the Lindt.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2012, 11:39 AM   #40
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstarryeyed View Post
I've made a really good Shepard's Pie using quinoa but it's definitely NOT low carb. I've tried to figure out how to adjust it. I haven't worked with any fake meat.
I have a box of quinoa, but I haven't tried it yet. I think its a good grain because it affects our blood sugar differently than things like rice, etc. I'm pretty sure there is an old thread on the recipe help and suggestions forum, but I didn't read it.
Old 04-19-2012, 04:41 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

MargD, your menus are getting more and more low carb. Keep up the good work!
Old 04-19-2012, 06:17 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

MargD, I like crystal light a lot but at times, it makes me want to drink up the entire 2 quarts that I mix up. I'd say it's either addictive or reacts in my body a lot like sugar. I don't drink it much anymore, but next time, I'll pay attention and see if I eat more after drinking it.
Old 04-19-2012, 06:22 PM   #43
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Last night I made homemade pizza. The crust was kind of blah, so I'm still working on that. I only attempt one once in a while, but I have more ideas. It was better topped off with sliced avocado after cooking, but ya know the crust is what makes the pizza taste better or worse. I made my own pizza sauce, but I didn't cook it down enough. I think it was just lacking flavor. I'm a work in progress....

Tonight is taco night. I think I'll grind up some boca patties and just add taco seasoning. The usual condiments and maybe some avocado again. Wife will have hers with taco shells and regular ground beef.

I have angel food cake for dessert. I might add something to it, kick it up a notch or two.
Old 04-19-2012, 08:42 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

I'm such a lazy cook when it comes to pizza. I just use a low carb tortilla that I toast on both sides before putting on the toppings. For toppings I use a large tbsp low carb sauce, mozzarella cheese, then add thinly sliced mushrooms, red onion, and fake chicken in more sauce. Broil until cheese is browned and then sliced into 4 yummy pieces. Quick and fairly good. It takes the pizza craving away.

I went out for happy hour tonight and had some white wine that wasn't sweet, I didn't recognize the name--it was French. With it I had a garden salad with blue cheese and a couple of small mozzarella sticks. All in all it was a great, low carb day.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:46 AM   #45
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
MargD, I like crystal light a lot but at times, it makes me want to drink up the entire 2 quarts that I mix up. I'd say it's either addictive or reacts in my body a lot like sugar. I don't drink it much anymore, but next time, I'll pay attention and see if I eat more after drinking it.
I definitely have a problem with Crystal Light portion control! Even my non-LC husband likes it.

A couple days ago, I made a big batch of unsweetened iced tea, so I drank that with dinner yesterday and it was satisfying. I think I'll keep the CL in the cupboard for another couple weeks.
Old 04-20-2012, 06:59 AM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Thursday
B - 2 scrambled eggs with spinach
S - 1/2 c plain Greek yogurt w/ a mix of sweetener, peanut butter and protein powder*
L - Leftover sloppy joe casserole
S - Mozzarella stick (at work)
S - unknown amt of my morning snack (again, at home)
D - Frittata with asparagus and gruyere

I was hungry when I got home from work and I knew I wasn't going to have the frittata ready for a while, so I succumbed. I didn't have anything after dinner, so that was a plus.

*Every couple weeks I make a batch of peanut butter balls. The latest batch had a very soft consistency, so I couldn't form it into balls. Unfortunately, I discovered that it tastes great with yogurt. I brought the last of it to work (w/ yogurt) today as my morning snack. Glad it's (almost) gone. Not sure why I can resist it when it's formed into balls, but not when has a softer consistency.
Old 04-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #47
Senior LCF Member

MargD, are those Ryansmom Peanut butter balls? I never did find the recipe. Can you share?
Old 04-20-2012, 09:27 AM   #48
Senior LCF Member

My meals tend to be very similar each day. I think, besides making it easier, it keeps me from thinking about other foods that I shouldn't be eating. Yesterday:

B- scrambled eggs with cheese and diced chiles, radishes, cherry tomato

L- big salad with chopped veggies, cheese, avocado and sour cream

D- grilled zucchini in CO sprinkled with parmesan

S- cheese stick and cherry tomato
Old 04-20-2012, 10:59 AM   #49
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Nigel My dh loves quinoa better than brown rice or other grains (like the kashi mixture). He is not dieting or anything - just really likes it. I like to cook it because it cooks up as fast as couscous does so it can be an afterthought when I'm making dinner .. I also like that it packs a protein punch being a seed ..

Quote:
Originally Posted by MargD View Post
.... Every couple weeks I make a batch of peanut butter balls. The latest batch had a very soft consistency, so I couldn't form it into balls. Unfortunately, I discovered that it tastes great with yogurt. I brought the last of it to work (w/ yogurt) today as my morning snack. Glad it's (almost) gone. Not sure why I can resist it when it's formed into balls, but not when has a softer consistency.
MargD I make a pb ball that has to be frozen and is not very tasty, lol and I am the same way, I can resist those pretty much, but have terrible trouble with the nut butter itself if left to my own devices, lol! I too would love a look at the recipe you are using! I just use pb, chocolate whey protein powder, and some coconut oil in mine

Quote:
Originally Posted by imstarryeyed View Post
My meals tend to be very similar each day. I think, besides making it easier, it keeps me from thinking about other foods that I shouldn't be eating...
That is so me Gloria! I eat the same things day after day with small variations. My kids are on spring break so a few times a week I have had to eat lunch on the run and so instead of eggplant parm, I've been having Linda Sue's pepper and onion quiche (with yogurt subbing for cream), but that's as exciting as the food has been here, lol!

Sherril Your pizza style tortilla sounds really good .. I do something similar with a lc pita .. this is terrible as far as calories, but just fine as far as lowcarb, lol ... I find if I add butter and garlic salt to it, it tastes a lot like real pizza to me ..
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 12:52 PM   #50
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madge17
WOE: MeatlessLowCarb/LowSodium
Start Date: April 2012
I'd like to post what I'm eating, if you don't mind. Maybe you can help me weed out the real trouble-makers during induction. In the past few weeks I was close to 20 carbs only a few times. When I started and cut out of my diet what *I* thought were carbs (mainly the starches) I was between 150-200 a day - and I thought that was low-carb. I received Rose Elliot's book last week, and I'm trying to follow her recommedations more closely now. Sherril offered suggestions too. thank you, Sherril A few others from that board were trying to help me along too, but none were doing it veggie, and most seemed to be doing their own thing.

Yesterday (4/20) I had:
B- protein powder, 8 oz. skim milk, 3/4 cup frozen raspberries
S - 1 heaping Tabl. of peanut butter, 1 oz. of colby cheese
L - 2-3 oz. colby cheese, mayo and lettuce
S- after reading about Marge protein balls I couldn't stand it anymore so I mixed a tsp. of ProPowder w/ 3 Tabl. of PB - it tasted good! I miss my Reeses cups and my husband has several packages tucked away in our garage cupboard and I'm trying so hard not to eat them.
S- 1 hard-boiled egg, 5-6 choc almonds
D - large salad w/ cukes, 1/2 tomato, cottage cheese, 1/2 avocado and Italian dressing
S- approx 3/4 - 1 cup of lower-sodium mixed nuts

Yesterday was a very hungry day for me, every hour or two I was up looking for something to eat. Not all my days look like this, but half of them are similar.

Today I've had only 2 fried eggs and 2 oz. of milk (I'm trying to slowly finish off the last gallon). I see that Silk soy milk is 8 carbs for a glass and skim milk is 12, so I'll pick up some Silk and mix the two until I'm done. I've mostly stopped drinking milk, except in my blender Protein powder liquid Breakfast, which is every other day, alternating with eggs.

The day before yesterday (4/19) was much better, at least I think it was.
B- 2 eggs w/butter
L - large salad with 1/2 avocado, 1/2 cuke, 1 tomato, 3-4 oz of colby cheese w/ Italian dressing
D- 6 oz. fried tofu
S - 1 cup LS mixed nuts, 2 oz. colby cheese

I'm hoping to get more LC foods at Whole Foods next week, so I can improve my diet. All my current frozen and non-perishable vegetarian foods are all high in carbs. All suggestions are welcome. Thanks ....and if I shouldn't be asking questions in this topic and only posting what I ate, let me know that too! lol
Madge17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 06:17 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

B- 2 eggs scrambled w/ cheese, diced chiles and radishes

L- big salad w/ chopped veggies, cheese, olives, sour cream

D- summer squash sliced and grilled sprinkled w/ parm

S- coconut manna, cucumber and radish
Old 04-21-2012, 08:38 PM   #52

Marge -- a few things. .. thoughts.

8 oz skim milk = 12 net carbs

1 cup mixed nuts = 640 calories and 20 net carbs

I would limit myself to 1/4 cup, once a day if you use it as a snack - and not make it mixed nuts which probably include some higher carb nuts like cashews. Same with the peanut butter - I'd try and limit it.

hth some!
Old 04-21-2012, 09:14 PM   #53
Senior LCF Member

Pauline, cashews are my kriptonite. I need to ask DH to stop buying them and leaving them in my sewing room where I spend all my time. My Keto sticks have barely been showing color the last couple of days so today I've been very strict.

B - Half of a 2 egg asparagus, onion, feta, and avocado omelet. My son had the other half. Almost forgot my Hoods/almond milk.

L - 1 cup broccoli soup and 3 tofurkey, provolone roll-ups with mayo and a dill pickle spear.

D - Sugar free BBQ fake chicken Cesar salad with cucumber and avocado added. (Romaine, fake chicken, cucumber, avocado, parmesan cheese and blue cheese dressing) - Made at home so there was no croutons.

I think I've done much better carb and calorie wise today.
Old 04-22-2012, 01:08 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Thanks TaDa!, I'm definitely going to cut out most of the nuts and PB, at least through this 2 week induction phase to see how much of a difference it will make. I didn't think of all the carbs in the mixed nuts! (at least no cashews ). I was watching carbs a little more closely in the PB, probably since I thought that was much more condensed. Now I'm doubting I ever made it down to 20 gr of carbs.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:56 AM   #55

Sherrill I am lucky I never got a hold of cashews too much, lolol!

Madge My best advice to people starting vegetarian lowcarb - or any diet program - is the need to

1) log your food into one of the logging softwares. Keep a strict detailed account of every bite that goes in the mouth.

2) Weigh and measure your food .. no "heaping tablespoons" .. Get a food scale at walmart .. proper measuring cups and measuring spoons.

3) Following a book plan like Rose Elliott's, Atkins, or South Beach, or whatever by the book for quantities and allowed foods. I think it is ok to ease into lowcarb too, as long as someone is not expecting major results from it immediately. Going that route will give you results, just in terms of months and years, not necessarily days and weeks, kwim?

4) For us vegetarians, blow out the carb budget on celery sticks, raw cauliflower, raw green beans, asparagus or something like that (no dipping sauces), rather than nuts and peanuts. It has the added bonus of keeping us regular, lol!

Just a few random thoughts. You guys are doing really great!!!

Pauline
Old 04-22-2012, 12:13 PM   #56
Senior LCF Member

I guess I am really lucky because I love all veggies, have never met one I didn't like, raw and cooked. Unfortunately, I love cheese too. Fats- butter, coconut oil I also love and I believe they are magic when it comes to making this WOE possible and keeping me from being hungry. In moderation, of course.

Tracking every bite I put in my mouth is the only way I've been really successful at losing. It's so easy to fudge if you aren't being accountable to yourself. It helps me plan meals, if only in my mind.

So thankful for this "support group" too!
Old 04-22-2012, 09:23 PM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Today's Food:

Scrambled Eggs

peach

MSF big burger w/lettuce, tomato, onion, and pickles

Forgot to drink my V8+

not very exciting...I too am a creature of habit...I eat what I know tastes pretty good a lot of the time or else settle for a mixed greens salad with some cheese in it
Old 04-23-2012, 03:17 PM   #58
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday:
B- protein powder, 8 oz. skim milk, 3/4 c. frozen raspberries blended
L - 2 cups homemade cream of cauliflower soup
S - 2 oz. colby cheese w/ lettuce wrap, coffee
D - Lg. lettuce salad, 1/3 cuke, small tomato, 1/2 avocado, 1 c cottage cheese, 2-3 Tabl homemade Italian dressing
S - about a dozen choc almonds
Old 04-23-2012, 03:47 PM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Pauline, I actually have a scale, thanks for reminding me.

I do hate journaling and measuring food (except when baking), but I see how necessary it is to make this LC diet work, so I am doing it! It is showing me where my problem areas are and definitely is an eye-opener! I forget to measure how much salad dressing I'm pouring on a salad though - some things are so automatic. It should get better as time goes by.

I wasn't expecting great results while transitioning down my carbs, but I don't think I was prepared enough for just how much I'd actually have to lower them. I said it earlier (somewhere) how I can't believe the amount of carbs that are in everyday good, healthy foods and not only the basic starches, or the processed or junk foods. I am so missing my fruit! I wanted OJ this morning with my hubby, haven't had any for almost 3 weeks now. I think I'm having carb withdrawals.

Today I've eaten:
B - 2 lg. eggs in butter, 2 oz. milk, coffee
L - 2 oz. cheese stick
S - 2 choc almonds

I plan to have a salad similar to yesterday's for dinner, and then raw veggies with dip as a snack tonight if I need it....at least that's the plan. I haven't worked on my will-power muscle in so long it's as flabby as I am. That needs a lot of work too. Thanks
Old 04-23-2012, 06:47 PM   #60

Madge -- Did you eat enough food today? Looks very low to me ... best to find a happy medium!!! and definitely include the veggies .. my opinion!!!

Me .. same ol same ol, except I was out of eggplant for lunch so I used cauliflower which I roasted in olive oil and ate with mozzarella, parmesan and tomato sauce and half a pita .. it was surprisingly delicious, lol!