Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-16-2014, 05:28 AM   #331
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
Yesterday I fried some mahimahi filets in corn bran and cornmeal. Not very much stuck to the fish. Added the leftover mashed cauliflower, some asparagus and broccoli. Last few days have been healthy and slimming.
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 05-20-2014, 04:18 PM   #332
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Peace
Stats: 115
WOE: stillmans
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heidinem View Post
Yesterday I fried some mahimahi filets in corn bran and cornmeal. Not very much stuck to the fish. Added the leftover mashed cauliflower, some asparagus and broccoli. Last few days have been healthy and slimming.
Hi there

I was a vegan for 15 years but now I am mostly pescatarian. I was wondering if you think it is hard to maintain low carb with this lifestyle. I do eat chicken if it is free range or organic.

I am trying to lose the last 5 lbs but it is more about enjoying my food and it appears I feel best with fish only.

Anyhow... just wanted to hear your experience. I have always been pretty thin in general. This is more about what feels right for my body. Does that make sense?
Peace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:43 AM   #333
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Last night I made stuffed yellow squash and some blackeyed peas for dinner.

I stuffed the squash with some sautéed onion, red bell pepper, green chilies, spinach, cottage cheese and a little egg beaters to hold the filling together. Then I topped with shredded Colby cheese. They turned out really good.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2014, 11:46 PM   #334
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cucui
Stats: 274/244/150
WOE: Moderate Carb Vegetarian
Tonight we had a cauliflower pizza with tomatoes, onions and veggie crumble. It came out really well.
Cucui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2014, 10:44 AM   #335
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Last night:

Faux little smokies with bbq sauce
Sliced Half a cucumber
Steamed Cauliflower w/butter
Green Beans

Tonight:

Faux hot dogs
Coleslaw
Onion Rings
Old 05-29-2014, 11:51 AM   #336
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I made bacon from mushrooms and vital wheat gluten yesterday.
They turned out more like jerky.
I haven't decided if I like them or not.
I may do them again and a fair bit of tweaking too.

So I ended up having a boca burger for dinner.
No vegetables.

Today, I am back on my homemade V8.

I am having quorn chicken for dinner..I am not afraid of the fungus! LOL
Old 05-29-2014, 04:57 PM   #337
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

After work, I made pimento cheese and then stuffed that into some cherry peppers and some jalapenos.

Then I made jalapeno fudge. I used better 'n eggs. Gosh I love that stuff.

I also baked the wife a pot roast with carrots, potatoes, and onions. And gravy after it was done. (Is she lucky or what?) LOL

I made almond flour fruit and nut bars...trying to up my daily protein.

Last edited by Nigel; 05-29-2014 at 04:58 PM..
Old 05-30-2014, 07:07 AM   #338
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peace View Post
Hi there

I was a vegan for 15 years but now I am mostly pescatarian. I was wondering if you think it is hard to maintain low carb with this lifestyle. I do eat chicken if it is free range or organic.

I am trying to lose the last 5 lbs but it is more about enjoying my food and it appears I feel best with fish only.

Anyhow... just wanted to hear your experience. I have always been pretty thin in general. This is more about what feels right for my body. Does that make sense?
I don't think its hard to do vegetarian low carb if you eat dairy and eggs. Now vegan is a lot harder! I really would prefer to eat no meat or very little but I have been low carb for 4.5 years and I love it. I cook for my mom so I do use pastured ground beef and some regular pork . CAFO meat really bothers me and I do try to stay away from it, but it is not always possible. I do feel better if I can vote with my wallet though.
Old 05-30-2014, 09:06 AM   #339
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I agree with you. I tried to go Vegan, but it was too hard for me and I don't like any of the faux dairy replacements for Vegans. I tried as many as I could find. The mayo wasn't too bad, but all the rest except for one brand of cheese which I could never find again, were awful, inedible. So I gave up that idea.

Once in a while I still give into bacon or pepperoni, but the rest the meats, I don't like anymore.

I drink most of my vegetables and eat a variety of beans or bean burgers. My doc says I should eat some beans every day...lol...I am learning to like them better, but I still can't get past the chalky taste of Kidney Beans and Garbanzos.

My thought is that mostly for Vegetarians (or even Vegans) is to make sure they get in enough protein each day.

Last edited by Nigel; 05-30-2014 at 09:08 AM..
Old 05-31-2014, 04:48 AM   #340
Senior LCF Member

Nigel, I was eating so much dairy that I was getting worried about too much calcium. I ate 2 servings of yogurt, 2 oz of cheese, drank 8 oz of the almond coconut milk from the dairy section, plus 1/2 and 1/2 in coffee and all the dairy used in cooking. I am trying to sub 2t cod liver oil for 1 oz of the cheese and replacing the calcium fortified almond milk with coconut milk from powdered coconut milk. So far so good.
Old 05-31-2014, 11:46 AM   #341
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I didn't know they made powdered coconut milk. That would work better for me cuz I constantly forget to use it up after I open the refrigerated carton.
I have been buying the kind in the box that doesn't need refrigeration until you open it, but I am still forgetful about finishing it.

Thanks for that idea.

I am glad that is working for you.
Old 06-02-2014, 03:40 AM   #342
Senior LCF Member

Nigel, I love the powdered coconut milk. I do have limit how much I make at one time as it can go sour in the fridge.

Yesterday I had veggie soup and macadamia nuts. I have to try and remember to eat nuts more often instead of the meat & veggies I serve to family members. Macadamias are incredibly filling and I have to count them out, seal the bag & put back in freezer, other I would just keep eating!
Old 06-02-2014, 11:42 AM   #343
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I hear ya.

I always measure out the nuts and put them in snack bags and then into a gallon freezer bags or I will eat too many of them too.

I have put sunflower kernels in my salads from time to time, but mostly I just eat the nuts as a snack, usually after dinner while watching TV.

I can't seem to break the habit of snacking in front of the TV.
Last night I ate green olives with the seeds in them...so it would take me some time to eat them and give me something to do while watching TV.

Lots of times I eat sunflower seeds just cuz it takes a while to eat them also.

This morning I ate strawberries and then some walnuts for protein.

I could live on fruit and vegetables, but ya know, no protein there that counts.
Old 06-03-2014, 10:46 AM   #344
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Last night I had half a can of pinto beans
2 Quorn Fajita tacos on high fiber tortillas
stuffed jalapeno and 2 stuffed cherry peppers
Old 06-04-2014, 04:00 AM   #345
Senior LCF Member

OK, this is a vegetarian thread, but I will post last night's dinner anyway.. Hopefully there will be enough of this for 2 more nights. I am tired of planning and cooking.

Low carb hamburger helper with grass fed ground beef, Dreamfields and spaghetti sauce from a jar. There are several spaghetti sauces out there very low carb, including Rao's and San Marzano. Rao's is crazy expensive though. Usually I make this w/o the noodles and with enchilada sauce. This was quicker and the family wants noodles. You can add chopped squash and pepper or diced cabbage along with chopped onion and garlic.

"obesity is a complex problem and it will not be shoehorned into simplistic hypotheses"
Stephan Guyenet
Old 06-04-2014, 10:28 AM   #346
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I like hearing your menus...please post them anyway.

I don't always eat completely vegetarian. I started a thread for semi-vegetarians, but got no replies, so it disappeared. lol

I make something similar to what you made using yellow squash and yves ground. I took it from one of my Mom's old recipes and just changed out the ground beef for faux beef and it worked pretty good.
Old 06-04-2014, 11:27 PM   #347
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Cucui
Stats: 274/244/150
WOE: Moderate Carb Vegetarian
Tonight we had Quorn ground in a vegetable stirfry. I added a little nayo and nutritional yeast to give it a cheesy taste.
Cucui is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 12:12 AM   #348
Senior LCF Member

This is great- thanks for sharing. I also not 100 vegetarian but I think now and then is working for me. I prefer fish and egg whites for my protein but sometimes a free range chicken tastes really good and so easy on my George foreman.

Not sure if anyone is interested in weight loss but I am thinking this might help me to lose the few lbs.

Do you guys use a low carb salad dressing at all?
Old 06-05-2014, 05:52 AM   #349
Senior LCF Member

Yesterday I bought cod on clearance sale. Of course it had to be cooked immediately. I used corn bran and cornmeal to fry it, and microwaved frozen peas with butter. I also boiled small red long potatoes (they are really cute and easy to handle, no peeling necessary), added butter. Yesterday was a pretty heavy carb day for me, I also had blueberries and 1/2 of an apricot.

Haha, I think we are always interested in weight loss! . I was very happy 105 when I first lost weight doing low carb and whenever I would cheat , then stop the cheat, the weight would go down again. Fooled me into thinking that I can cheat and get away with it. By cheating I don't mean necessarily with carbs but just eating more than I know I should. Anyway, once I reached 112 and tried to restart with no cheating the weight did not start coming off. I keep gaining and losing the same albs or so, which I guess is normal fluctuation. No real weight loss is occurring.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:00 AM   #350
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yep, we are definitely always interested in weight loss.

I feel lucky that I have basically maintained since I lost weight.

I honestly used to have to cheat to keep losing. It's like my body just needs carbs at times. I keep a check on my carbs but I do indulge in real potatoes or corn occasionally. Real dessert, hardly ever.

I make my own salad dressings most of the time. I like making thousand island and lots of times I just mix oil and vinegar and some Italian seasoning together and call it salad dressing.

If you go to the recipe suggestions forum, there is a salad dressing thread.
I will see if I can find it for you and post it here if I do.
Old 06-05-2014, 10:02 AM   #351
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

This one is for ranch dressing, but there is another thread around there, if you do a search or via google.

Homemade ranch dressing recipe?
Old 06-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #352
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
This one is for ranch dressing, but there is another thread around there, if you do a search or via google.

Homemade ranch dressing recipe?
Hi

Thanks so much. And thanks for the comments on weight loss, people. I am so allergic to many things but I can eat fish and vegetables so that is what I am working with right now.

Nightshades.. nope, no dairy, celiac disease, limit on nuts, I just feel better when I dont eat alot of meat.

I think even a lower fat dressing would help my salads taste bit better but most are filled with stuff. Prob just have lemon juice, a bit of olive oil and some spices. Seems to be the best natural option for me.

if anyone has other thoughts on a low fat low carb salad dressing ( dairy free) please share.

Thanks for the support-

my goal is 112 by end of June.

Oh.. and I was wondering how you people feel about salt? I seem to do much better without it. I think it is a trigger for me.
Old 06-05-2014, 07:01 PM   #353
Senior LCF Member

I had salad with cod for dinner. yum. little broc on the side.
Old 06-07-2014, 08:03 AM   #354
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

mmm...broccoli

As for me, salt isn't a problem. I used to have hugh blood pressure and I don't anymore, but even then I told my doc I was always craving salt and she said have some salt. I like to use sea salt and that pink himalayan (sp) salt and I seem to use less of both of those than regular salt.

For salad dressings, just google oil free or dairy free salad dressings and several come up. The best thought I have is to see which one sounds good and try it.

If you eat avocados, you can puree an avocado with some coconut milk or almond milk and make a sort of green goddess type dresiing. My spices are mostly Italian seasoing, salt, pepper, and red pepper flakes. I stick to the simple recipes most of the time mostly cuz I don't have a lot of time or energy left when it comes to making dinner.

You can also puree up a cucumber or tomato much the same way and make that into dressing. You can add lemon juice for a kick of citrus.

I have mixed some red wine vinegar and some sweetner and fresh squeezed orange juice together for a salad dressing also.

I have used Cholula (sp) hot sauce for my salad dressing too. It's not that hot,
Old 06-07-2014, 01:19 PM   #355
Senior LCF Member

Hi

Thanks for the suggestions. I found a salad dressing at WF that is Tessemaes- low cal, no carb, gf, df. Its pretty good.. at least its something with flavor.

I don't see your stats.. are you working on fitness, losing weight?

I weighed in at 116 on my scale at home but it is weird because the gym scale says differently. However, I am going to stick with my home one because it feels better to be a few lbs lighter.

I had 2 egg whites this am and then a salad with cod, broc, onion, cukes. I also had tried a piece of shredded chicken but was kind of grossed out by it. I just feel like fish is my fav.

Have a great day!!!
Old 06-08-2014, 08:49 AM   #356
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I lost my weight a few years back. Now I'm just basically on maintenance and trying to eat healthy as much as I can.

I like all the recipes and meal ideas that other people post.
Old 06-08-2014, 01:12 PM   #357
Senior LCF Member

Agreed. I like new ideas.. but guess what? It ALWAYS comes back to me loving lettuce and fish. Broccoli is another option.

Have a great day!
Old 06-11-2014, 03:41 AM   #358
Senior LCF Member

I made shrimp with coconut oil, turmeric and garlic powder. Also potatoes with butter, frozen green beans and coleslaw tin mayo/sour cream dressing. I did not indulge in the potatoes, the shrimp was enough of an indulgence.
Old 06-11-2014, 01:06 PM   #359
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Your dinner sounds good.

Tonight I'm having MSF faux buffalo wings with extra hot sauce
Salad (just lettuce, tomato, radish w/balsamic vinaigrette)
Oven Fried Zucchini w/parmesan and almond flour and spices

Wife is having the same except for oven fried chicken tenders instead.
Old 06-14-2014, 03:31 AM   #360
Senior LCF Member

Mac & cheese for tonight, sautéed cole slaw (from the bag) and roasted peppers. Large colored peppers have been on sale recently.

I have gained 7 lbs in the last 2 years with occasional binges and indulgences, mostly low carb sweets. I cut out all low carb desserts and redoubled my efforts beginning 3/18/14. I did not cut back portion sizes though and it has taken me 3 months to lose 2 lbs. I don't feel like eating less so I will continue with my current plan. I find I am much less hungry than when I restarted.