Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-21-2013, 10:47 AM   #271
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/118/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
I like the sound of all of that, Nigel.

I ended up have a big, late lunch yesterday and then never ate dinner. I did, however, pick at LC food throughout the evening, so it probably wasn't a good choice not to eat supper.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-21-2013, 10:19 PM   #272
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: FitKat
WOE: LC
Start Date: 3-4-10
B: 2 eggs with avocado. (Should've put some salsa in there too. A little bland - next time, salsa for sure...)

L: shrimp with mushrooms & green beans

D: mushrooms, imitation crab, shredded cheddar cheese, grated parmesan

S: popcorn - ugh! Not LC. Can't seem to resist these days but used to be able to with no problem.

BUT... good news: dr gave me green light to workout after a foot injury. Yay!! That should help. Maybe will motivate me to eat better so I don't un-do my workout.

Kat
FitKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2013, 07:44 AM   #273
Senior LCF Member

Monday

B - 2 eggs, scrambled with a splash of HWC and a small amount of shredded mozzarella cheese

S - Several tastes of a WIP snack (peanut butter protein balls)*
S - 1 small cream cheese cloud
D - Huge Salad

*Once again, I can resist once these are formed into balls, but I really struggle to resist while the entire pile of this stuff is chilling in the fridge.
Old 01-24-2013, 08:13 AM   #274
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Moosiegirl
Stats: 5'3" 139/129/122
WOE: Low carb - vegetarian (fish, too)
Start Date: January 2013
Yesterday:
AM Decaf with 1/2&1/2 and splenda
10:00 Can of tuna with mayo and celery, string cheese
2:00 Small package of peanuts
(Half the time at work, I will have two hb eggs with mayo instead of the tuna)
6:00 Salad with ranch, cheddar, celery, cukes, tomatoes, creole salmon
Dessert: lc ice cream bar

Today:
AM Coffee and cream/splenda
10:00 six strips MS veggie bacon, 1 egg omelette with cream cheese and spinach
2:00 1 slice toast (just a thin slice of whole wheat - 5 net carbs) and butter
String cheese
6:00 MS veggie or turkey burger, lettuce, tomatoes, pickles, mayo, mustard, side of steamed broccoli with butter
Dessert: small bowl of whipped cream/cream cheese/splenda blend + strawberries

I eat pretty much the same things most days. I don't mind. I get in trouble if I go out to eat, or if I drink, so I haven't done either yet since I started. Actually haven't missed either yet. This is day 18. Weight loss has slowed down to .2 a day and I expect to stall out soon. If I can steadily lose even 1/2 pound a week from here on out, I will consider myself lucky. Either way, the lack of cravings and hunger is worth it! I figure I'm eating maybe 1200 - 1400 calories a day. (I THINK I'm below 20 carbs, but still not that good at calculating those so well.) I wonder if that's enough? I'm only 5'3" so it probably is?

Last edited by Moosiegirl; 01-24-2013 at 08:16 AM..
Moosiegirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2013, 10:01 PM   #275
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sherril
Stats: 207/188.6/125
WOE: Low-carb lacto-ovo vegetarian
Start Date: 11/09 the first time 2/12 this time
B - Egg salad with hot tea with lemon - I have a wicked sore throat
L - Sauteed mushrooms, zukes, and onions with spaghetti squash baked with cheese and cream.
D - 3 slices MSF bacon and a string cheese
S - Cashews
Sherril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2013, 06:42 AM   #276
Senior LCF Member

I hope you're feeling better by now, Sherril.
Old 01-30-2013, 06:44 AM   #277
Senior LCF Member

Tuesday

B - 2 eggs, scrambled with splash of HWC and a small amt of cheese

S - 1/2 Quest bar + 1/4 c almonds

D - Large Salad with sliced almonds, feta cheese and blue cheese dressing
1 Peanut butter protein ball
1 Fat bomb
Old 01-30-2013, 07:47 PM   #278
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sherril
Stats: 207/188.6/125
WOE: Low-carb lacto-ovo vegetarian
Start Date: 11/09 the first time 2/12 this time
Thank you MargD, I'm feeling a bit better.

B - Leftover faux sausage, mushroom and artichoke soup
L - Big salad
S - Sunflower seeds
D - 2 pickle tofurkey roll-ups
Sherril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2013, 03:47 PM   #279
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Last night I made homemade vegetarian squash chili and I served it over wild rice.

For the chili, I used 1/2 an onion, 3 different colors of bell peppers, 2 yellow squash, a can of black beans, a fresh roma tomato, a can of stewed tomatoes and some spices. It turned out real good. I added in a couple of slices of chopped fresh jalapeno too. If I had thought of it, I would have added a can of green chilies also. It made a lot, enough for 4 servings.

This was the first time I made vegetarian chili without a meat substitute in it and the black beans worked beautifully. I drained them first.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2013, 08:04 PM   #280
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Last night I made a great romaine salad with homemade thousand island dressing and some stuffed pasta shells...not LC, but still a good meal.

I stuffed the pasta with cottage cheese, an egg, some sauteed onion and bell pepper and a yellow squash. I mixed all that together and added in some fresh baby spinach.

I just used canned tomatoes for a sauce on the bottom and top and then topped it all with colby jack cheese. It tasted a lot like lasagne.

Next time, I'll opt for a lower carb lasagne noodle, but I used what I had.

I had sugar free jello with no sugar added peaches for dessert.
Old 03-28-2013, 10:48 PM   #281
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madge17
WOE: MeatlessLowCarb/LowSodium
Start Date: April 2012
While my daily diet has been a mix of good and bad - this evening I made 2 large Portobella cap mushrooms for the first time in a frying pan on the stove. I had a hard time finding a recipe where they weren't used as "grillers" in a bun, so I just winged it!

I took out their stems and gills and fried the insides down first in some olive oil for 3-4 min., then flipped them over. I salt and Pensey pepped them, laid in a slice of provolone cheese, filled them up with a previously sauteed mix of chopped baby portobellas, onions and red peppers & herbs, and then topped it with two more slices of provolone cheese and cooked for another 3 min. Boy were they ever good! I was pleasantly surprised. Had a half of sweet potato topped with butter (along with my Beano-LOL) and Hoods LC choc milk. One of the best (satisfying) meals I've had in a looong time. LOL If I would have skipped the sweet potato, it would have qualified for LC too.
Madge17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 09:45 AM   #282
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Your meal sounds good Madge. I have missed reading your posts.

Last night I made black bean enchiladadas and salad.

For the enchiladas, I smashed up black beans, some onion, green chilies, black olives and added ench sauce and cheese. They weren't bad. I only made these years ago when I was doing a low fat diet and realized that they were vegetarian as well. I have no idea of the carb count, but I've been trying to get more beans into my diet lately.
Old 04-03-2013, 12:40 PM   #283
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Last night I made quorn cubed faux chicken into chicken alfredo.

I sauteed a pretty small onion and added in a stalk of celery and then some roasted red bell pepper and added in the quorn chicken, then some parmesan and heavy cream and let it simmer until it thickened. Then I added some grated smoky cheddar on top.

I served it with green peas and carrots, cucumber salad, and some wheat couscous. It was the first time I had couscous and I liked it.

The quorn is so filling I can usually only eat half a serving, so I'm happy to have leftovers for another day.
Old 04-09-2013, 12:05 AM   #284
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Nigel, I've missed reading yours and everyone's posts here too!

Your BB enchiladas sound good. I think if you used the LC tortilla wraps you could keep the carb count down quite a bit. I like (well like, as much as one can really like LC tortilla wraps as opposed to the real thing-lol) the Tumaro's Multi-grain tortilla wraps the best so far. They have soy and oat flour, 11 gr carb minus 7gr fiber = 4 gr net carbs for a large wrap. No sugars and 6 gr protein, 2 gr fat and don't taste like total cardboard.

I also really like the occasional 365 Brand original organic baked beans, heated up in a bow (replaced my Bush's Vegetarian Baked Bean canned meals), but do try to stick with black soybeans or edamame more since they are much lower in net carbs and (I think) higher in protein.

I've had to stay away from high-fiber foods just as much as high fat while trying to get my digestive system back in order, but I'm slowly adding foods and getting closer to my old LC diet with each day. Back to having protein shakes for breakfast, but using frozen bananas regularly in them besides strawberries. Started to add some nuts back in, but they have been troublesome, so I need to be careful. Still on the highest daily dose of corticosteroids though and now Dr's added 1/2 Imodium a day. Things have definitely improved this past week - hallelujah! LOL

I'm sure I'll need to go through an induction phase all over again when I'm finally able to get off the meds. I've gained 5 lbs during the last 6 wks, but it is what it is. The past 6 mos had become a nightmare with each passing week. This IBD is something I will have to learn to live with and work around, but the Gastro doc sees no reason I shouldn't be able to eventually resume my LC diet when everything settles down, so I'm still pleased and looking forward to that. I just have to be patient for now.

Quorn chicken alfredo, hmmm - I tried one Quorn product (made from mushroom fungi?) some kind of *patty* and hated the taste, so I've been leery of their other products. I think I did a review on it, even tried to mask it with tomato sauce to no avail.

Today:
Raw Protein Powder Blender shake, frozen banana, soymilk with 2 Tabl. peanut butter
Snack - LS cheese sticks
Lunch - 2 Tabl Peanut butter, 1/4 cup peanuts, crystal lite lemonade
Snack - LS cheese sticks
Dinner - large salad, feta cheese, cukes, tomatoes, red peppers, garbanzo beans, kalamata olives, olive oil and vinegar
Snack - dark chocolate and LS cheese stick

My tummy wasn't happy today - I think I overdid it. yesterday was a much better eating day - 3 eggs, no nuts or PB and less cheese.
Tomorrow should be another good egg and yogurt day., perhaps some tofurky and mayo around a pickle and LC tortilla wrap (Sherril turned me on to this one!) haha
Old 04-10-2013, 12:24 PM   #285
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm glad you are doing better.

I dislike the quorn patties (faux hamburger patties). They tasted like cardboard.

The quorn chicken cutlets, I usually bread with mayo and parmesan and bake them like parmesan chicken. I add in some lc bread crumbs if I have any around. They are okay like that.

The quorn chunks (I think that is how they are labeled) don't have much taste so I use a lot of seasoning. I was surprised that the faux chicken alfredo came out good.

It's always hit or miss with faux meat substitutes for me.

I've bought several kinds that I could not learn to like. Oh, I try, but most of the time, if I don't like the first time I try them, then I never like them.

These days I doctor up just about everything with lots of spices...it helps a lot.

I've been working on cutting down on eating so much cheese--doc says it has too much cholestrol (sp)...he says its just as bad as eating beef.
The doc also told me that I could have inherited high cholestrol. I have a hard time believing that. It would be nice to blame it on someone else though.
Old 04-16-2013, 01:48 PM   #286
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Yesterday I made quorn cutles chicken parmesan style and some stir fried veggies.

The veggies were onion, red bell pepper, mushrooms, asparagus, celery, broccoli and shredded carrot. I put a little Bragg's aminos in the stir fry for flavor. It worked.
Old 05-16-2013, 09:52 AM   #287
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I see no one has posted here in a month.
I wonder where everyone went?

Last night I made Mexican Lasagne from a recipe I tweaked from TV and cucumber and tomato salad.

It turned out very good, surprisingly.
I might make it again and add some sliced black olives.
It would even be good with some beans.

Speaking of beans, I'm cooking some pintos today but I haven't decided what else to go with them. I try to eat them once a week or so. The doc says they are good for me. I hope so.
Old 05-18-2013, 12:28 PM   #288
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Well I guess I'll just sit here and post and hopefully someone will show up eventually.............

Today I'm bbq-ing boca burger and veggie packets outside.

I'm going to splurge and have an ear of corn.
It's a rare treat when it's farm fresh.

Walmart had corn @.16 cents today, but I had already gotten mine at HEB 4/$1.
Too bad I don't have any freezer room right now.

Something about putting it on the bbq that makes it taste so awesome. I have to give in to tempatation once in a while.
Old 05-18-2013, 01:11 PM   #289
Major LCF Poster!

Gallery: Patience
Sorry you are alone on this thread.
So many carnivores about.
Sounds you are a good cook, and I agree about fresh corn being the way to go.
Tomatoes and sweet corn right out of the garden are nature's best treats.
Patience is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2013, 06:51 AM   #290
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you for replying.

I got 8 big tomato plants yesterday--belated b-day present, so I'm going to be planting them today in big buckets on my front porch. I just don't have the time to put into a big garden these days as much as I would like to have one.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:05 AM   #291
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Today I'm having broccoli quiche and salad.

I'm making Dottie's recipe for wings in the oven for my wife.
She's having corn on the cob and tater tots too.
Old 05-24-2013, 04:10 AM   #292
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: msree
Hello!

Hi Nigel, sorry you are alone on the forum right now. I am not doing vegetarian right now, but I am trying to eat more veggies than meat.

Just wanted to say hi, and I hope all of your friends find their way back to the forum.
msree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2013, 06:08 AM   #293
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi there,
Thanks for stopping by.

I guess everyone must be busy lately.

I see lots of vegetarians posting in the main forum--it could be they don't know this forum exists.
Old 05-24-2013, 10:59 PM   #294
Senior LCF Member

Hi Nigel (and welcome mssree!)

Once again I'm apologizing for not being around. I'm still under medical care and not staying very LC, so I've feltl a little odd posting.

I'm sure today's diet wouldn't be very helpful to anyone seriously trying to do LC....the only thing it might be helpful for is vegetarian food suggestions.

Breakfast
protein (whey) powder shake with 1 c frozen strawberries and 1 1/2 cups of plain, unsweetened Kefir, coffee

Snack - banana, 2 cheese sticks

Lunch
cottage cheese and canned peaches

Snack - several Tabls. of peanut butter, coffee

Dinner
Mixed veggie stir fry with tofu in ginger/soy sauce, coconut butter and OO, and a tiny bit of rice (first time I've had rice since last year)

Snack - large bowl of Fage yoghurt mixed with 1 c whipped cream
several more Tabls. of peanut butter

So, as you can see, I'm all over the place with my diet. I have no idea when (and lately I'm starting to wonder *if*) I'll ever be able to get serious LC again when this is all over. I'm very frustrated now, which is affecting my disposition, and another reason I haven't wanted to visit the forum... and just b--8$H. No one wants to read that!

I wish everyone a good LC weekend!
Old 05-25-2013, 04:53 AM   #295
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm glad you stopped by.

I hope you feel better soon.
Old 06-07-2013, 07:08 AM   #296
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Today I'm making vegetarian lasagne.
I went to the store yesterday and forgot the broccoli, so I'm going to make it with squash and spinach and whatever other vegetables I have in the bin.

This is my first time making this, so I'm keeping my finners crossed that it is something I will like. I'm only making enough for 2 servings just in case I don't care for it.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:59 AM   #297
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/238/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
Hi Nigel! That sounds very British.

I made some really great chips by a taking corn torillas, wetting them down then microwaving on one side for 3 minutes, flip, then microwave another minute. It will burn if you use only one tortilla so if you try it do watch. If you don't wet them down, they are too chewy/hard. Somehow this makes them crunchy and crispier.

I then put a tomato in a food processor and added taco sauce - chips and salsa!!!

I hope I didn't already talk about this...I get confused because I post in two forums.

I brought a couple of bananas today to work and also I have some potatoes to microwave.

I have McDougall's books but need more inspiration....I'm now reading the Hawaii Diet - Terry Shintani. He has a great video on youtube by the Vegetarian Society of Hawaii. Very inspirational. It gets interesting about 1/3 the way in.

http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/ot...el-method.html

Last edited by Key Tones; 06-07-2013 at 09:02 AM..
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:24 PM   #298
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Key Tones
Stats: 312/238/??? 5/10"
Start Date: LC start 2005, have tried everything...
I am going to try a version of this tonight - Asian Stir Fry:

1 pkg shredded carrots
1 pkg broccoli slaw or Asian slaw
1 jar pineapple chunks and the juice
1/2 bag any frozen greens
Cooked brown rice
Soy sauce/Tamari to taste

Saute the carrots and slaw for a few minutes. Add greens and keep lid on until soft. Add pineapple. Mix in rice. Serve.
Key Tones is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 01:54 PM   #299
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: olive oyl
Stats: 10 lbs. for every decade, yep that's me...
WOE: Keeping it under 30 carbs
Start Date: 5.23.13 & Committed...
Sherril, what brand of low carb tortillas are 3 carbs. Mine are 5. I thought that was pretty good, but 3 would be better.
olive oyl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2013, 09:13 AM   #300
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Today I'm baking up some baby butternut squash with butter and salt and pepper. I didn't even know there was such a thing.

Yesterday, I got the squash and some assorted bell peppers, okra, and tomatoes at a farmer's market. I wanted cukes, but they only had big ones and they didn't look very good. I got yellow squash and calabasa also.

So I'm having a veggie feast today...not sure how I'm fixing the other veggies yet.