Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 01:47 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Boca Burgers--who knew?

I'm a die-hard boca burger fan and have been for several years.

I generally buy my boca burgers at Walmart supercenter or HEB grocery store and most of the time either original or flame-grilled.

I went to Sam's Club last week and the box was only $9.98 for 16 patties....a bargain as I usually pay somewhere between $3.27 and $3.87 for 4 patties. I was impressed with the savings alright, but when I took one out for dinner, I was more impressed with the size. They are about 1/3 larger than the ones I usually get.

So if ya like boca burgers and want more bang for your buck, I suggest checking your local Sam's Club for them. That was the only type of vegetarian anything I found in the freezer and I found them quite by accident.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 01-22-2012, 03:01 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
boca burgers are generally much higher carb than some of the other brands (for those of us who watch carbs) .. maybe part of it is due to the size?

Pauline
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I did a check on the larger size vs the smaller size.

The regular one is 6 carbs per patty and the large one is 8 carbs per patty, which I don't think is bad since one will fill you up if you have some side veggies with it.

In comparison:
Morningstar Farms Grillers = 4 carbs
1/4 pounder = 10 carbs (this one is super filling too)

For me, it's worth the 2 extra carbs for the flavor of the Boca compared to the grillers. The 8 carb boca is just as filling as the 10 carb MS Farms...

I guess it just goes by what tastes better to someone. I have attempted making numerous veggie burgers, but I don't care for the bean flavor in most of them, so I kind of quit trying to make my own for a while.

I am interested in any good recipes if anyone has any for veggie burgers.
Old 01-23-2012, 03:14 AM   #4

There are morningstar with 2-3 net carbs and that is what we use.

Pauline
Old 01-23-2012, 08:58 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: saltnpepper
Stats: 125/104/103 5'
Start Date: long ago restart 06/11
Lucky you Nigel what a good deal. I avoid boca, as last time I checked they contained gluten.

Anyway, I got some Amy's Bistro burgers. They have 15 grams carbs!! Way high, but no gluten. So I'm not sure if that was wise or not.

I do shop Sam's and get a lot of cheaper/good produce.

Anna
saltnpepper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
There are morningstar with 2-3 net carbs and that is what we use.

Pauline
Really? Can you tell me which ones? I'm all for lower carbs.

How do you find net carbs--is that by subtracting the fiber?

If that's how, which I think it is, but please let me know if it isn't, then the MSF grillers would be 4-2 for fiber which = 2 carbs net. Right?

The label for regular boca is 6 carbs - 4 fiber which = 2 net carbs. The same as MSF...yeah!! Gee, I hope this is right...then I've been eating less carbs than I thought. I never used net carbs, just whatever the carb count was on the package.

I just checked the bigger ones and they have 8 carbs minus 6 fiber, so they are only 2 net carbs also. Yipee!! I can eat more for less...**Smiling here**

Hi Anna,
I should probably avoid gluten too, but I still eat it. I know it's not the best thing for us. I have tried other frozen veggie burgers, but they were pretty pricey and not very good tastewise. I tried Dr. Praeger's and they were $6 for 4 and they just fell apart. I don't mind paying more if the flavor is there. The taste of them was okay, but they weren't much for burger texture.

The ones I tried were the California burger and it had 13 carbs or if you subtract the fiber, it would have been 9 carbs. It also had 1 gr of sugar which I can do without any sugar.

Where I live, we only have super walmart and heb grocery and they are both very limited in their vegetarian selections. I am so happy that they have any, but I long for more choices.
Old 01-24-2012, 03:57 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Hi Nigel and TaDa

Yes I too tried the Dr. Praeger's, pricey and gross! ha I know I should just make some. But so far I'm too lazy.

Quote:
Where I live, we only have super walmart and heb grocery and they are both very limited in their vegetarian selections. I am so happy that they have any, but I long for more choices.
ME TOO!!

I'm deep in the heat of TX. BUT last night on the local news they said Trader Joes MAY come to San Antonio. That would be great. There is one going in somewhere in Ft Worth/ Dallas area. But that is too far to drive.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Trader Joes' to come closer. I've never even been to one, but I always read how great they are.

Anna
Old 01-24-2012, 05:21 AM   #8

Nigel - yeah you got it on the net carbs! Subtract fiber .. it goes through ya, lol!!!!! There is a difference in carbs between the "orginal grillers" (which is the lower one) and another variety of grillers they came out with - but the box is identical which is annoying, lol!

I feel for both of you with the small amount of choice in veggie burgers .. there is another brand or two they have here in New England. One is made of mushrooms, and there is another that is in the grocery section and is refrigerated. Being as I transitioned from highcarb vegetarian to lowcarb vegetarian in 2003, I choose the lowest net carb products and do not really venture into anything much higher or that has sugar or processed white wheat for eating on a regular basis as those are things that made me a fat vegetarian, lol!

If the higher carbs are due to added beans or vegetables (like the morningstar spicy black bean burger, for example) - well, I would eat those here and there and recommend them ..

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story

Last edited by TaDa!; 01-24-2012 at 05:22 AM..
Old 01-24-2012, 05:08 PM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saltnpepper View Post
Hi Nigel and TaDa

Yes I too tried the Dr. Praeger's, pricey and gross! ha I know I should just make some. But so far I'm too lazy.

ME TOO!!

I'm deep in the heat of TX. BUT last night on the local news they said Trader Joes MAY come to San Antonio. That would be great. There is one going in somewhere in Ft Worth/ Dallas area. But that is too far to drive.

Keeping my fingers crossed for Trader Joes' to come closer. I've never even been to one, but I always read how great they are.

Anna
Sun Harvest is now Sprouts in case you didn't know. I went to the one on Nacogdoches, but it wasn't great for vegetarian products. They did have a lot of GF stuff though and lots of Bob's Red Mill.

On Thursday, I have to go to SA to pick up a pal at the airport, so I think I'll go to the one on Callaghan and see how that is.

I live about 85 miles west of SA outside a wide spot in the road. LOL
Old 01-24-2012, 05:10 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Nigel - yeah you got it on the net carbs! Subtract fiber .. it goes through ya, lol!!!!! There is a difference in carbs between the "orginal grillers" (which is the lower one) and another variety of grillers they came out with - but the box is identical which is annoying, lol!

I feel for both of you with the small amount of choice in veggie burgers .. there is another brand or two they have here in New England. One is made of mushrooms, and there is another that is in the grocery section and is refrigerated. Being as I transitioned from highcarb vegetarian to lowcarb vegetarian in 2003, I choose the lowest net carb products and do not really venture into anything much higher or that has sugar or processed white wheat for eating on a regular basis as those are things that made me a fat vegetarian, lol!

If the higher carbs are due to added beans or vegetables (like the morningstar spicy black bean burger, for example) - well, I would eat those here and there and recommend them ..

Pauline
Thanks TaDa! I was pretty sure that was how you figured the net carbs, but I got so used to the overall carbs...I never adjusted to the net ones.

On average, how many carbs do you consume per day? If it's okay to ask. If not, just smack me upside the head for being too nosey. *wink
Old 01-25-2012, 03:49 AM   #11

No problem Nigel .. I can do between 50-100 and maintain pretty well (and also lose weight at those levels!). In the past year or so I have moved down from 65-75 to about 50 to get better appetite suppression. It is my impression from the latest Atkins book written by pro-Atkins doctors (and pro-vegetarian), that most people in maintenance should be able to eat around 50 net carbs .. unlike the prevailing thought here on lcf that everyone should be eating all meat and keep their veggies under 20, lol!

The people here that are doing lowcarb weightloss and maintenance programs (that happen to be vegetarian), as I do, would care about the makeup of those carbs. A lot of us - but not all - would avoid white wheat, white pasta, white rice, and sugar that are in a lot of those processed vegetarian products - like the buffalo wings and the riblets in a sugary sauce - because there is a very real difference between junk carbs and good carbs and their effect on our blood sugar / insulin response.

Myself, I also do not eat beans on a regular daily basis - other than soybeans - having found a way to eat that I enjoy - having gone through the Atkins process to maintenenance. Those however are also good lowcarb foods as is whole wheat, brown rice, etc .. just know a lot of people on weightloss end of things will not be using those foods just yet unless their plan specifically includes them ..

hth!

Pauline
Old 01-25-2012, 03:54 AM   #12
Senior LCF Member

Nigel what a small world!!
Quote:
I live about 85 miles west of SA outside a wide spot in the road. LOL
I am in SA. The weather is bad today be careful when you go to the airport.

Anna
Old 01-25-2012, 03:57 AM   #13
Senior LCF Member

Please forgive me for highjacking -- thank you TADA for the carb information.

I have not counted carbs lately. I'm seriously trying to get back to my old veggin life. Only healthy.

Thanks again

Anna