Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-29-2011, 12:36 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: putthekettleon
Please Share Your Favoiite Vegetarian Books

Right now I have just about every South Beach Diet book there is in print, and I must say there's a load of wonderful vegetarian recipes in the cookbooks.

Do you have any favorite cookbooks? Please share! I am thinking of ordering Low Carb Vegetarian. Pauline, I noticed you mentioned it, and did I read correctly that you are quoted in the book??

I do eat eggs and dairy (lacto ovo here). I am so glad I'm doing this. I can't explain it, but your perception of life really changes (not to sound corny). To be honest I still kill insects, and no doubt if a mouse is in the house I will get rid of it (and feel awful doing so), but in general, there's a definite shift in perception...maybe something called compassion...and also, I have no doubt I am doing wonders for my health.

I'll do another post about three recent studies I found on being vegetarian. They include links, but the websites are not selling anything, so hopefully the links won't be removed.

Have a great day everyone!
putthekettleon is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 01:22 PM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I have several vegetarian books. I am not at home right now and I can't recall the names of them besides Rose Elliott's, but I'll list them later when I get the titles.
I also can vegetarianize most of my regular recipes by substituting the meat part with meat substitutes or just leaving it out altogether.

I also use veg web a lot for all kinds of recipes.

Glad to see you here.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 03:43 PM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Thanks! I too just sub out meat with substitutes. In fact, I like to make a game out of making vegetarian dishes out of meat dishes! A lot of times crumbled tofu behaves very well as a meat sub too.

Your name sounds quite English!
Old 12-29-2011, 04:24 PM   #4
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
yep .. I'm a case study in rose elliott's .. my info is in two places in there, lol! I used a pseudonym because I felt embarrassed that IRL people I know who do not struggle with weight might see it, lol! I don;t worry about that much anymore now that I am maintaining so long and this is just me now

Honestly I am not a big cookbook person .. other than my favorite high carb vegetarian cookbooks in which I have a few favorite recipes. I just got a copy of Margo DeMello's lc vegetarian book. I tend to supplement my old favorite vegetarian recipes that incorporated grains or breads just minus the bread or grain, and then use recipes for various bread / grain substitutes from the recipe board, lol or use Linda Sue's recipes and substitute the vegetarian meat crumbles etc in them ..

I do so much cooking for my family that following specific recipes falls by the wayside unless it is something I think will appeal to the whole family .. those are few and far between with all my fussy eaters, lol!!!

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 08:59 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

Thanks Pauline. Happy New Year!
Old 03-31-2012, 09:33 AM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I just got "The Passionate Vegetarian" Cookbook and it has over 1000 recipes and lots of tips, etc. also. It's very interesting and has lots of recipes that I want to try.
Old 04-03-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sherril
Stats: 207/188.6/125
WOE: Low-carb lacto-ovo vegetarian
Start Date: 11/09 the first time 2/12 this time
Nigel, let us know which ones you liked. I have that book in in Amazon shopping cart.
Sherril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 12:52 PM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Will do. I haven't made anything yet, but I have lots of book marks in it. That book weighs a ton too, well worth the $$$. I got mine at amazon also. Pretty wild.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:51 PM   #9
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madge17
WOE: MeatlessLowCarb/LowSodium
Start Date: April 2012
Over the years, my favorite cookbook for cooking veggies has been "The Victory Garden Cookbook" by Marian Morash. Besides being a vegetable cookbook, it also has some tips on growing your own and what to look for when purchasing and storing your produce. When it was first published, it was the most thorough vegetable cookbook I could find and is still my "go to" veggie book, but it isn't specifically a LC vegetarian cookbook - just vegetables and their recipes from A to Z. In fact, I just pulled it out tonight to look up a couple cream of cauliflower soup recipes I'd like to make tomorrow. HTH's
Madge17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 09:49 AM   #10

Stats: 187/179/150
WOE: Lower carb vegan
Start Date: May 2012
Veganist by Kathy Freston

The Vegan Girl's guide to Life by Melisser Elliot

Vegan for Life by Ginny Messina and Jack Norris

Color me Vegan by Colleen Goudreau
VeryVeganVictoria is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 02:28 PM   #11
Senior LCF Member