Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vegetarian (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/)
-   -   Please Share Your Favoiite Vegetarian Books (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/751540-please-share-your-favoiite-vegetarian-books.html)

putthekettleon 12-29-2011 12:36 PM

Please Share Your Favoiite Vegetarian Books

Right now I have just about every South Beach Diet book there is in print, and I must say there's a load of wonderful vegetarian recipes in the cookbooks.

Do you have any favorite cookbooks? Please share! I am thinking of ordering Low Carb Vegetarian. Pauline, I noticed you mentioned it, and did I read correctly that you are quoted in the book??

I do eat eggs and dairy (lacto ovo here). I am so glad I'm doing this. I can't explain it, but your perception of life really changes (not to sound corny). To be honest I still kill insects, and no doubt if a mouse is in the house I will get rid of it (and feel awful doing so), but in general, there's a definite shift in perception...maybe something called compassion...and also, I have no doubt I am doing wonders for my health.

I'll do another post about three recent studies I found on being vegetarian. They include links, but the websites are not selling anything, so hopefully the links won't be removed.

Have a great day everyone!

Nigel 12-29-2011 01:22 PM

I have several vegetarian books. I am not at home right now and I can't recall the names of them besides Rose Elliott's, but I'll list them later when I get the titles.
I also can vegetarianize most of my regular recipes by substituting the meat part with meat substitutes or just leaving it out altogether.

I also use veg web a lot for all kinds of recipes.

Glad to see you here.

putthekettleon 12-29-2011 03:43 PM

Thanks! I too just sub out meat with substitutes. In fact, I like to make a game out of making vegetarian dishes out of meat dishes! A lot of times crumbled tofu behaves very well as a meat sub too.

Your name sounds quite English!

TaDa! 12-29-2011 04:24 PM

yep .. I'm a case study in rose elliott's .. my info is in two places in there, lol! I used a pseudonym because I felt embarrassed that IRL people I know who do not struggle with weight might see it, lol! I don;t worry about that much anymore now that I am maintaining so long and this is just me now :)

Honestly I am not a big cookbook person .. other than my favorite high carb vegetarian cookbooks in which I have a few favorite recipes. I just got a copy of Margo DeMello's lc vegetarian book. I tend to supplement my old favorite vegetarian recipes that incorporated grains or breads just minus the bread or grain, and then use recipes for various bread / grain substitutes from the recipe board, lol or use Linda Sue's recipes and substitute the vegetarian meat crumbles etc in them ..

I do so much cooking for my family that following specific recipes falls by the wayside unless it is something I think will appeal to the whole family .. those are few and far between with all my fussy eaters, lol!!!

putthekettleon 01-01-2012 08:59 AM

Thanks Pauline. Happy New Year!

Nigel 03-31-2012 09:33 AM

I just got "The Passionate Vegetarian" Cookbook and it has over 1000 recipes and lots of tips, etc. also. It's very interesting and has lots of recipes that I want to try.

Sherril 04-03-2012 08:49 AM

Nigel, let us know which ones you liked. I have that book in in Amazon shopping cart.

Nigel 04-03-2012 12:52 PM

Will do. I haven't made anything yet, but I have lots of book marks in it. That book weighs a ton too, well worth the $$$. I got mine at amazon also. Pretty wild.

Madge17 04-21-2012 11:51 PM

Over the years, my favorite cookbook for cooking veggies has been "The Victory Garden Cookbook" by Marian Morash. Besides being a vegetable cookbook, it also has some tips on growing your own and what to look for when purchasing and storing your produce. When it was first published, it was the most thorough vegetable cookbook I could find and is still my "go to" veggie book, but it isn't specifically a LC vegetarian cookbook - just vegetables and their recipes from A to Z. In fact, I just pulled it out tonight to look up a couple cream of cauliflower soup recipes I'd like to make tomorrow. HTH's :)

VeryVeganVictoria 05-07-2012 09:49 AM

Veganist by Kathy Freston

The Vegan Girl's guide to Life by Melisser Elliot

Vegan for Life by Ginny Messina and Jack Norris

Color me Vegan by Colleen Goudreau

Madge17 05-07-2012 02:28 PM

VVV, Are these books low-carb, or regular Vegan? Thanks :)