Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-18-2011, 09:08 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I made Tamales...

So I got a wild hair and made some tamales yesterday.
This is the first time I made them vegetarian style.

I made 3 small batches. One batch had boca and quorn crumbles with onions and bell peppers sauteed in them and I added some colby cheese to the tamale itself. These turned out pretty good.

The second batch had cream cheese, green chilies, and black olives and colby cheese. These, I didn't particularly care for and mostly because of the cream cheese.

The third batch and the fewest, I made with corn, onion, green chilies, and colby cheese. They were da bomb!!
The next time I will pulverize the corn instead of using the kernels and mix everything up before putting it into the tamale.

Overall, they were decent. I will make them again with tweaks.

Certainly not low carb, but tamales are kind of a Texas tradition at Christmastime. I used to make dozens of meat ones and give them away to the neighbors and relatives and fill up my freezer, way back when.

You could make low carb tamales by pulverizing up some hominy and using that for the masa. I think I'll do that next time also and compare the two types.

Last edited by Nigel; 12-18-2011 at 09:10 AM..
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-29-2011, 03:46 PM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: putthekettleon
oh tamales are so good. At work, a coworker would make tons of them with her mom and then bring in a plateful.

It sounds like you were very industrious, making veg tamales. Very creative!
putthekettleon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you.
I had been suffering with a toothache and had to do something to distract myself. It worked for that day. lol
Old 12-30-2011, 12:23 PM   #4
GME
Big Yapper!!!!

Gallery: GME
Stats: 250/166/175 And again...223/215.0/146 5'7
WOE: Misc.
Start Date: April 2000 (the first time)
I made tamales earlier this week too.

I made pork (not vegetarian, I got here to the vegetarian board by accident) and some sweet ones with jack cheese and raisins. I love the sweet kind.

We had a tamale contest at the school where I work and I tried some very different varieties. One had potatoes and carrots and tasted like a pot pie. Tasty, but strange.

We always set out to make just a few, but that inevitably turns into dozens.
GME is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 11:56 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's interesting Gina. I've never made the sweet ones or eaten any either. My SIL loves the sweet kind, but she buys hers, so I have no idea what is in them.

A few years back, I tried to make just masa tamales, but they just didn't work out. I couldn't get the flavor right.