Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 12:10 PM   #1
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Hillbillybuddha
Stats: 175/150
Start Date: January 2012 (maybe sooner)
New to this. Not sure which direction to go.

Hi, I'm Joel. I'm 39 and have been a laco-ovo vegetarian since I was about 12. I have been thin most of my life, probably too skinny during my 20's. But in the last few years I've started putting on the Lbs. I've noticed myself mindlessly snacking on sugar cubes and just thinking about chocolate and ice cream.. It really started when I quit smoking (3 years ago) but has gotten worse lately. I quit drinking about 12 years ago so the thought has pasted through my mind that I keep trading addictions.

Regardless, I quit smoking with the help of a forum and I figured I'd try to cut down my carbs with the help of a forum. Just not sure where to start. I tried counting calories and diet pills and that usually lasts about 2 weeks but a) it never occurred to me that I could do a low carb diet while being a vegetarian (just Googled it this morning); and b) I've never tried to diet with support.

I'm really not that over weight and I'm also fairly active but I really do want to lose these few extra pounds and find a healthier way. I'm about 185 right now and would like to be around 155 or so. I've been heavier but I was able to cut out the nightly pint of Ben and Jerry's which brought me from a size 36/38 down to a 34 but I still have 20+ pounds to go. Also type 2 Diabetes runs in my family although I don't believe I have it.

There seems to be a few low carb diets, which ones seem to work best for vegetarians?

Thanks, Joel
Hillbillybuddha is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 12-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Hey Joel, Check out:

Rose Elliott's Low Carb Vegetarian Diet

New Atkins For A New You which talks about a version that lacto-ovos can do

South Beach Diet

Another way to go .. just cut out sugar 100%, start portion sizing your food, and stick to whole grains for carbs .. Good for you trying to take charge and get the weight off!

Pauline

(p.s. lacto-ovo here for about 30 years, from about the same age as you .. not quite 100% though because I will eat fish about once a month when I eat out).
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2011, 08:35 PM   #3
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: Hillbillybuddha
Stats: 175/150
Start Date: January 2012 (maybe sooner)
Pauline, thanks for the reply. Right now I'm using my phone to post here and check in but its not the easiest way to search the site.
I'll order those books and start reading up.
Not sure what to expect the first couple days but I'm a bit nervous about the sugar "detox" but its gotten tobacco and alcohol. Anyway, I'll be one here trying to make some new friends.
Hillbillybuddha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2011, 09:59 AM   #4
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel

I would say exactly what TaDa said. I don't know if you like baking or cooking in general, but there are some fantastic sweets recipes in the recipe help and suggestions forum which might help wean you from real sugar. They mostly use sugar substitutes.

I have found that using other types of sweetner like Agave help me, but that probably isn't considered low carb. The low carb options are stevia and splenda and stuff like that. Some people can tolerate sugar alcohols and some cannot. I guess you have to try them to find out.

There are sugar free and lower carb ice creams available at a lot of supermarkets. I have not tried any of them, but some people say they are pretty good. You can also make your own ice cream if you invest in an ice cream maker or there are types you can freeze in ice trays too. I am not practiced in the art of making ice cream but the biggest problem I have read about is that it gets very hard in the freezer. (I probably wouldn't have any left to go in the freezer. lol)

Mostly just make sure you get enough protein and vegetables. The starches are always the hardest things to give up. Some of us eat beans and soy (I do) and some don't. I guess you have to go by trial and error and see what works best for you by noticing how you feel after eating certain things.

I wasn't much of a vegetable eater until I learned about juicing and now I drink mine in a V-8 type concoction that I make most days. I feel better when I drink that, but it isn't for super low carbers because ya know the veggies have carbs. Myself, I don't count the veggie carbs unless I'm having something starchy like half a cup of corn or half a baked potato. Strict low carbers would never have corn or potatoes, except for sweet potatoes.

Once you figure out how many carbs you want daily, it will be easier to stay on plan.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote