Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-25-2011, 08:40 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Product Reviews:

Please post your vegetarian product reviews here.

I tried the Morningstar Farms 1/3 pounder for the first time today and that's a big burger. It was good.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-29-2011, 07:27 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/126/119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
I really enjoy the convenience of Nasoya extra firm tofu PRECUBED. Saves time when I'm racing to get dinner on the table after work.
MargD is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2011, 11:38 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sissiesue
Stats: 173/129/129
Start Date: September 27, 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by MargD View Post
I really enjoy the convenience of Nasoya extra firm tofu PRECUBED. Saves time when I'm racing to get dinner on the table after work.
I like this stuff, too. I bought it accidentally, and when I opened the tofu container I was shocked at first and then pleased as heck that I didn't have to chop up the tofu :-)

I'll definitely buy it again. (I made a mean garlic-ginger eggplant dish and added the tofu for protein).
Sissiesue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2011, 09:40 AM   #4
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mercuryfan
Stats: Fat Swine Pig
WOE: Vegetarian
Start Date: 09/15/03
All Gardein products!!!!! Most are high protein, some are gluten free. If you can find the Crispy Mandarin chick'n....please try...it's to die for.

Also, Veggie Patch veggie dogs....I haven't liked any of the veggie dogs I've tried until this one....very close to the real thing.

I like Amy's too...but they are very pricey.
Mercuryfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:33 AM   #5
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuryfan View Post
All Gardein products!!!!! Most are high protein, some are gluten free. If you can find the Crispy Mandarin chick'n....please try...it's to die for.

Also, Veggie Patch veggie dogs....I haven't liked any of the veggie dogs I've tried until this one....very close to the real thing.

I like Amy's too...but they are very pricey.
oh funny! I just bought the crispy "chicken" thing for my kids to try .. although why they call a veg product "chicken" is beyond me. Actually puts me off of buying any of these products, lol.

Do you stirfry the crispy mandarin with veggies? I do that with plain strips for the kids. I was thinking of just frying these ones up and then serving veg on the side. Would that work?
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2011, 02:22 PM   #6
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morningstar Farms Buffalo Wings are great if you put hot sauce on them and crisp them up and make a dipping sauce for them. I have had other people taste them and they didn't know they were faux meat. lol
Old 12-10-2011, 12:32 PM   #7
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Please post your vegetarian product reviews here.

I tried the Morningstar Farms 1/3 pounder for the first time today and that's a big burger. It was good.
So I had another one of these last night and they aren't 1/3 pounders but 1/4 pounders. Wow!! Talk about filling...
Old 12-10-2011, 07:38 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mercuryfan
Stats: Fat Swine Pig
WOE: Vegetarian
Start Date: 09/15/03
Hi TaDa....I have fixed the mandarin chick'n with stir fried veggies....and its really good, but wait until the very last minute to add orange sauce. I think it evaporates too quickly if you add it while cooking the veggies.
Mercuryfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2011, 07:33 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mercuryfan View Post
Hi TaDa....I have fixed the mandarin chick'n with stir fried veggies....and its really good, but wait until the very last minute to add orange sauce. I think it evaporates too quickly if you add it while cooking the veggies.
lol Mercuryfan!! That is a tiny bit disappointing, lol!!! I already use the Morningstar chix strips as a stirfy (in fact was gonna make that tonight for the family) .. so this is just another version of that plus a sauce packet where I would not have to add teriyaki .. Really good to know!!! Thank you!!!!

My kids get very fussy, etc about their food - they are real pain in the neck vegetarians They prefer the morningstar chix strips in a teriyaki, to me stirfrying tofu - which would be my preference as I loooooove tofu, lol! Hence my interest in all these processed products, lol!

OT: I met a vegan yesterday - actually someone who does what I do with vegetarianism - which is she only eats fish or dairy when out at a restaurant or a social situation - and is 100% vegan at home .. we had a LOT to talk about, lol! She is sending me a recipe for a really good tofu lasagna she had .. I will post a lc version if it turns out well for me!

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
Old 01-22-2012, 01:39 PM   #10
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I tried the Morningstar Farms bowl of chili last night. It was extremely disappointing and flavorless. I used to get Boca bowl of chili, but they either stopped making it or just stopped stocking it in my area. Bummer!! The boca bowl of chili was decent.

Last edited by Nigel; 01-22-2012 at 01:43 PM..
Old 01-22-2012, 01:42 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I tried the Morningstar Famrs grillers, but they weren't as good as the boca burgers or the big Morningstar Farms burgers, so I won't be buying them again.

I also tried the Morningstar Farms vegetable burgers which weren't bad, but not very good leftover. I generally make 2 burger patties at a time, so the the next day I just heat one up and repeat, but although the vegetable burgers taste pretty good, they need to be cooked only when you want to eat them right away.
Old 01-22-2012, 01:52 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Boca Chicken Nuggets --- they were okay, but Morningstar Farms buffalo wings have them beat by a landslide for flavor and texture. But hey, I would eat them again if that's all I had.
Old 01-22-2012, 11:22 PM   #13
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morningstar Farms Ribs or riblets (not sure of the accurate name)

Not bad, easy to fix....a little on the sweet size and I would saute them in onions and add my own bbq sauce to them next time to offset some of the sweetness of their bbq sauce, but overall, not bad for fast food. I call frozen food fast food when it's vegetarian cuz it's a lot faster for me to make than from scratch.

I shopped at a new store a couple of weeks ago in another town and found all kinds of new vegetarian stuff to try...hence all the product reviews today.
Old 02-07-2012, 04:49 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Dr Kracker Pumkin Seed and Cheddar Crackers

Dr Kracker Pumkin Seed and Cheddar Crackers

I thought these were a bit pricey at $4 for 8 of them, but one of the crackers is very filling with pimento cheese on top.
These are a type of crispbread, so they are a really crunchy cracker but very tasty.
They are quick for a fast lunch or snack. After finding out that one of them works, they didn't seem so pricey after all. Now I want to try some of the other ones they offer.

The carbs are 11 per cracker and 5 grams of protein.
And there is 3 grams of fiber, so that would only be 8 grams of actual carbs. Not bad for my carb range.
Ingredients:

organic whole wheat flour, organic wheat flour, filtered water, organic cheddar cheese (organic pasteurized milk, hannilase enzyme, salt, cultures), organic pumpkin seeds, organic oats, organic sunflower seeds, organic flaxseeds, olive oil, sea salt, organic sesame seeds, yeast, organic barley malt syrup, rosemary extract
Old 02-10-2012, 05:29 PM   #15
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sherril
Stats: 207/188.6/125
WOE: Low-carb lacto-ovo vegetarian
Start Date: 11/09 the first time 2/12 this time
Nigel, you don't say where you bought them. Have you tried the almond thins? The recipe is on this site somewhere. I think there are dozens of pages for them and I'm sure they'd be much cheaper and are less carbs. I have been eating the MSF buffalo wings forever. I LOVE them but they are too carby for me while I have 65 pounds to lose. I would take them camping and found they are really delicious cold right out of the package, of course I kept them in a cooler. They are already cooked (fried) so they make a good camping meatless meal. In my carb days I ate them with baked beans or potato salad.

I also love the bbq riblets. They have too much sugar in them for me now. I'm thinking of rinsing the bbq sauce off of them and adding some SF bbq sauce so that I can still enjoy them.

I used the boca burgers in a cream mushroom sauce the other day because I was wanting some good comfort food. It sort of reminded me of Salisbury steak. I'm still not crazy about fake beef. It turned OK, but I wish there as something that tasted better.
Sherril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 07:35 PM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

If you aren't against using beef broth, I have found that by soaking the boca patties or crumbles in the broth overnight and then draining off the broth helps to enhance thier flavor. For salisbury steak, I would use the onion soup mix (you can make your own LC version--recipe is on Linda Sue's site) and a beef boullion cube and soak the patty overnight or else cut the patty into strips so the flavor can get all the way thru it.

I made salisbury steak with the boca burger patty, but it defintely needed more flavor.

I haven't tried the almond thins...maybe when I get some extra cooking time, I will. Most of my meals have to be fast or to go for lunch at work sort of things cuz I don't have a lot of time for cooking. I know I should practice cooking more, but I am getting better at it.
I can cook pretty good for high carb stuff, but Low Carb and Vegetarian have been quite a challenge for me.

I bought the Dr. Krackers at our local Super Walmart in the deli section by the gourmet cheeses. They have all the gourmet crackers up on top of the cheese case. This was the first time I'd seen Dr. Kracker brand there.

Mostly, I have found to make the fake meats taste better is to add a lot of spices and vegetables with them. I use spicy mustard on top of a burger patty that I wrap up in a lettuce leaf. Sometimes I add bbq sauce instead when I'm cooking the patty. I top it with jalepeno cheese or hot pepper cheese. Sometimes I grill some onions and add jalapenos. LC ketchup is also good on the burger patty if you like that.

The other day, I cut up a boca patty in strips and added tri-color bell peppers (frozen bag peppers) and a slice of onion and some chili powder and cumin and sauteed it all up together and then put it in a Mission LC Flour tortilla with some cheese and it wasn't too bad. The trick is the seasoning for me anyway.
Old 02-10-2012, 08:19 PM   #17
Senior LCF Member

Nigel, thanks for the idea to spice up the fake beef. I do it all the time for the fake chicken. Maybe that's why I like the chicken better. Next time I make the salisbury steak, I think I'm going to mush up the patty with some spices. I won't do the beef broth, but maybe I can find a low carb steak sauce that would be a nice addition to those faux burgers. My favorite burger is the original gardenburger, but they are too carby for me at this time. Maybe I can eat them again when I'm closer to my goal weight. I'll check out steak sauce at Sprouts tomorrow. They have lots of those calorie free, sugar free, carb free sauces.
Old 02-10-2012, 10:41 PM   #18
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm thinking some of the Morningstar Farms burgers, Grillers comes to mind are only 2 net carbs. I don't know if you count net carb or all the carbs. I count all the carbs, but the new Atkins is net carbs. Well, there is a discussion on here where TaDa! let me know about the net carbs in the MS Farms brands. It might be worth checking out the next time you go shopping.
Old 02-11-2012, 05:35 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherril View Post
....I also love the bbq riblets. They have too much sugar in them for me now. I'm thinking of rinsing the bbq sauce off of them and adding some SF bbq sauce so that I can still enjoy them ...
Yeah a lot of these products, while good "vegetarian" products, are not lowcarb and contain sugar and refined wheat - which are at the top of the list as far as things to avoid, on every single lowcarb plan out there. I do not eat these on maintenance even. If I am going to eat extra carbs, it will be from good solid whole foods. Having a weight problem as a vegetarian generally comes from the use of all the refined foods .. the pasta and pizza diet.

I really recommend to people who have to lose weight or want to start eating lowcarb vegetarian programs to change their whole way of thinking and avoid these products - and get used to eating exclusively in a lowcarb way. There is a big difference in extra carbs from beans, in say the Morningstar Spicy Bean Burger, than the sugar of the riblets, or the breading on the fake chicken wings.

I know you are all excited about having just started to include some vegetarian eating in your woe and eating less meat, Nigel, so these are good products for you, but not all of these products are good for those of us who are trying to lose or maintain weight or follow lowcarb vegetarian eating .. I mean, think about it, lol, a review of breaded chicken wings or pre-sauced ribs with sugar on the main board here would not go down too well, lol! Yeah these things are meat substitutes, but they are not "good" options for lc vegetarian eating and I just wanted to put that out there since lowcarbers and new dieters may come to this board seeking out lowcarb vegetarian ideas

Pauline
Old 02-11-2012, 06:09 AM   #20
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I agree Pauline. I am learning the error of my ways, slowly....

Fuddrucker's Veggie Burger

Well, I tasted the bun which was probably whole wheat...didn't eat it, but I wanted to see how it was. Yuk!!

The veggie burger (which I have no idea the carb count...might go look it up later though) was like eating cardboard. In my case, I covered it with yellow mustard and ate it on lettuce leaves, but still it was tasteless. It was the worst veggie burger besides the one at Burger King that I have ever had and I try all kinds of them.

I would do a review of the Fuddrucker's service which was severely lacking, but this isn't the right forum for that.

I went to the site and it states Veggie Burger with bun = 25 carbs....then it says veggie patty=22carbs...yep, I was right -- it was cardboard alright and their site can't be correct. No way a bun would be 3 carbs...talk about a sucker punch!! Want to know more?...it was the most I've ever paid for a veggie burger. Then I felt sick when I got home. About right.

Last edited by Nigel; 02-11-2012 at 06:21 AM..
Old 02-11-2012, 06:28 AM   #21
Senior LCF Member

I'm sorry that happened to you Nigel. I haven't been to a Fuddrucker's since becoming a vegetarian. At least they do have a vegetarian option. You need to write to them letting them know of your experience so that they know. If they think everything is OK with customers, than they won't fix anything. I hope you feel better today.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:57 AM   #22

I've found all the veggieburgers out at restaurants to be nasty, lol! I have had them when necessary - when that was the only option, but when I've found another option, I went with that. I agree with Sherril .. let them know!!! You could even mention veggieburger products you do like and can buy in the market to help get a fire under them, lol!
Old 02-11-2012, 05:02 PM   #23
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks. I am much better and much smarter today...I used to love Fuddrucker's back in the day, but I hadn't gone there in 10 years at least.

Yes, I will let them know. They have a site on the receipt where you can go and comment.

I don't understand why all restaurants that serve burgers can't serve a MS Farms burger or a boca burger. How hard would that be? Sure, they would have to cook them up on a separate part of the grill or even better, just in a skillet in some oil or butter, but gee, that isn't much trouble.

As much as my local grocery store and super walmart run out of the veggie burgers, people must be eating them/liking them. I honestly think the restaurant and esp. the fast food industry is missing out. If even one place had a decent veggie burger, I would spend my money there and I'm sure lots of others would too. These days a lot of people eat veggie burgers due to their heart health and just for thier health in general.

Veggie burgers...not just for vegetarians anymore. *smile*
Old 03-07-2012, 06:59 PM   #24
Senior LCF Member

I tried out a new product today. It's Tofurkey's Hickory Smoked Deli Slices. You get 3 servings for 3 carbs each. That's 5 thin slices but I only needed 3 slices for my low carb tortilla. My roll-up had about 5-6 carbs in it. I had it for lunch with mozzarella cheese, avocado, and tomato slices and some mayo. It was delicious and filling. The tofurkey had a smokey flavor without tasting like greasy bacon. Really, it was delicious. If you are missing the meat flavor, from what I remember 23 years ago when I was still eating meat, I think you'll like it. It was a bit chewy like meat, but really, it was good. Tofurkey is the people who put out that thanksgiving fake roast breast which I haven't tried. These are probably different than that because it's real wood smoked, not with smoke flavor added. Also, it is vegan and organic. No GMO soy in it at all. You've got to love that!
Old 03-08-2012, 10:34 AM   #25
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

That's interesting. I'll look for that the next time I go out of town. Thanks for the review. It sounds good. I've been looking for a lunchmeat substitute also.
Old 03-10-2012, 10:55 AM   #26
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: lisamt
Stats: 200/187/130
WOE: LCHF
Start Date: December 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sherril View Post
I tried out a new product today. It's Tofurkey's Hickory Smoked Deli Slices. You get 3 servings for 3 carbs each. That's 5 thin slices but I only needed 3 slices for my low carb tortilla. My roll-up had about 5-6 carbs in it. I had it for lunch with mozzarella cheese, avocado, and tomato slices and some mayo. It was delicious and filling. The tofurkey had a smokey flavor without tasting like greasy bacon. Really, it was delicious. If you are missing the meat flavor, from what I remember 23 years ago when I was still eating meat, I think you'll like it. It was a bit chewy like meat, but really, it was good. Tofurkey is the people who put out that thanksgiving fake roast breast which I haven't tried. These are probably different than that because it's real wood smoked, not with smoke flavor added. Also, it is vegan and organic. No GMO soy in it at all. You've got to love that!
Tofurkey slices are so good! I like the oven roasted ones and the roast beef style. They used to have cranberry & stuffing deli slices that were my favorite, but got discontinued due to low sales. Oh and Tofurkey also makes veggie pepperoni slices, which are fairly low carb.

If you go to the Tofurkey website, you can request coupons. I got a bunch for 55 cents off any of their products.
lisamt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2012, 05:57 PM   #27
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quorn Naked Chicken Cutlets:

I tried them for the first time the other night. I made chicken parmesan from two of them and they were very good. The other two cutlets I have marinating to make some faux chicken fajitas tomorrow night. I was surprised at how good they were. I read a couple of reviews that said they were dry. Mine weren't, but then I marinate all my faux meats just for that reason.

I will definitely be stocking up on these the next time I go to Sprouts. That is the only place I have found them so far.
Old 03-24-2012, 12:58 PM   #28
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quorn Cheeseburgers:

Not so great - more like cheesy cardboard.
The patties were very thin and tasteless.
I still have 3 more to figure out what to do with.
Any suggestions?
Old 03-24-2012, 12:59 PM   #29
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunburger Original:

Pretty good. I'd eat them again.
The patty is substantial and it has a meaty texture to it.
Old 03-25-2012, 09:50 PM   #30
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Morningstar Farms Breakfast Links:

Cooked as directed, not so good, actually very bland and cardboardish.

So tonight I took them and sliced them and sauteed a quarter of an onion and then added them to the onions and then put some bbq sauce over them and simmered til thick. I also added some homemade sausage seasoning to them before I started cooking them. Way better and actually not bad at all.