Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-27-2012, 05:40 PM   #61
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/119/115 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
Hi Niles. I'm still here, but I too wish there was a bit more traffic in this section of the site.

Is the So Delicious sold from the refrigerated section, or is it stocked unrefrigerated, on the shelf? I'm going to look around next time I'm in the grocery store.

I assume So Delicious is the brand and not just your opinion!
MargD is online now   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 07-27-2012, 07:59 PM   #62
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel

Yes, it's in the refrigerated section. It was $3.37 at super walmart yesterday but I snagged a $1 off coupon via google.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 12:28 AM   #63
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: msree
Hi nigel, everyone, I don't have any reviews on new products for you, just wanted to say hello, and to post so you don't feel no one looks in! I do! LOL! I am always looking for new products or recipes . I like seeing what others are eating also. Have a great day everyone. Keep it simple and keep it veggie! msree
msree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2012, 09:11 AM   #64
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi msree, Thanks for popping in...you have a great Sunday!!
Old 07-29-2012, 06:37 PM   #65
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madge17
WOE: MeatlessLowCarb/LowSodium
Start Date: April 2012
Nigel, So Delicious almond milk plus sounds interesting. I opened up a new Silk today and have 365 soymilk in reserve, so I won't need any "milks" for a while, but 1 carb and 5 gr protein sounds good to me! Thanks for posting!

I'm trying to think whether or not I've tried anything new - well I guess the organic, plain, "unsweetened" Silk soymilk is a 1st-timer for me. I didn't realize there were as many choices in soymilk as there are now. When I first tried it I think there were 2 kinds - regular and vanilla. Tried the unsweetened this morning "as is" - it was okay for plain soymilk, but I'm sure I will like it much better tomorrow a.m. as a blended protein shake. This unsweetend Silk has 7 gr of protein and 4 carbs (minus 1 for fiber), so net carb of 3 - not too bad. I had just finished off another carton of Hood's LC choc milk (that Sherril suggested). A 1/2 gal carton of anything lasts me from 1-2 weeks, which is amusing. Before I started LC (and gave up skim milk) I used to drink at least 1 gal of milk a week! I've been trying to save my carbs for something like Greek yoghurt instead of using them up on a daily drink, but I usually have a protein shake every other day for breakfast.
Madge17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2012, 03:58 PM   #66
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Did you like the silkmilk? I've never tried it, but they have it at walmart here.

Product Review:

Blue Bell s/f vanilla ice cream

I thought it was good, no wierd aftertaste at all. Now I just need to find some s/f lc ccokies so I can make an ice cream sandwich.

s/f Klondike (like eskimo pies)

Definitely decent...I liked them.
Old 08-12-2012, 09:22 PM   #67
Senior LCF Member

Nigel, the Silk is ok, but I prefer the 365 brand of unsweetend soymilk - not sure why either. LOL There would probably be little (if any) difference if I were to do a side-by-side taste test.

I've had the SF eskimo pies in the past - I can't be around ANY type of ice cream yet - ice cream is a terrible trigger food for me.

Another ice cream sandwich brand that's good, but I don't remember if it comes in SF, is SkinnyCow. I used to eat them (before I started LC) because they were lowfat - have no idea what their carb count is.
Old 08-19-2012, 06:30 PM   #68
Senior LCF Member

Steaz zero calorie iced teaz
I picked up 2 - 16 oz. cans the last time I was at WF. This flavor is called "half & half" (green tea and lemonade).
It is sweetened with Erythritol and stevia, uses Fair Trade certified organic green tea and has 120 mg of antioxidants. I'm drinking the whole can as I type (2 servings). You might remember, a couple months ago I tried a carbonated beverage with these two sweeteners and had awful cramps, etc. for a day or two, but I'm hoping that episode was not related to that beverage and just a coincidence. I'm sure I'll know later tonight one way or the other! Anyway....LOL, it tastes okay, a little flat, but I think since it's out of a can I was expecting something carbonated. In fact, as I'm reading the can now, it says to "shake well", which of course I didn't since I thought it was carbonated. LOL Some of the flavor may still be at the bottom of the can.

I don't remember the price, but with zero in each category under "Nutrition Facts", except for Vitamin C (which is 50%). I would say it is a nice change from the norm with zero carbs. My favorite bottled teas are "Honest Teas", but many have a little sugar - 5 to 20 carbs worth, so they usually just sit in my fridge.

The other flavor is called "Citrus" - I'll post after consumption, which may be a while...or maybe never, depending on how these sweeteners agree with me tonight.

Bottom line: depending on the price, it may or may not be worth it - it's a little weak and flat tasting, but zero carbs and probably a lot healthier than diet soda. If it doesn't kill me tonight I'll probably try some of the other flavors.
Old 08-20-2012, 12:42 PM   #69
Senior LCF Member

She lives! LOL

The two sweeteners, erythritol and stevia, didn't cause any digestive problems beyond a little more gas than usual. Either it was that particular soda or something else I had eaten that one day. This is good news, since I've been holding back on the purchase of either sweetener after that initial experience.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:43 PM   #70
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm glad to hear that you can drink that with no problems. Thanks for the review.

Have you ever tried Zevia all natural soda? I've been looking for it around here to try, but no luck. I'll be able to find it in San Antonio next month and give a review. It would be nice to find something s/f that I actually like to drink.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:50 PM   #71
Senior LCF Member

Madge - Glad you didn't have any digestive problems.

Nigel - I have had several cans of the diet cola version of Zevia. It's just okay, but I was never a fan of diet soda, so it may be more palatable to a diet coke or pepsi fan. I have it on hand for when I want something carbonated.

I have some diet Hanson's to try next.
Old 08-20-2012, 11:32 PM   #72
Senior LCF Member

Zevia is the carbonated soda that I thought caused my very unpleasant episode. I had the lemon-lime. The next time I'm at WF's I'll try it again, along with more Steaz if they're on sale. I also may try making my own 1/2 lemonade 1/2 green tea with the CL and tea bags - it's would probably be cheaper than the individual Steaz cans.

I made some Crystal lite lemonade for the first time in about 10 yrs. tonight! lol
It was good, and I kind of like the new little individual serving tubes. I plan to try to make a slushie with it and ice in the blender tomorrow. The chemicals and artificial ingredients that are in CL still concern me though, so if I can cut it with something more natural I'll feel better about drinking it.
Old 08-25-2012, 12:11 PM   #73
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pepsi Next :

Well, I gave in and tried one. I used to be a die-hard coca-cola fan and pepsi was a poor substitute for the craving.

Pepsi next has 10 carbs per 8oz serving, but its a bit carby for me. I guess it would be better than drinking regular pepsi and it doesn't taste that much different, but I'd rather have 0-3 carbs per can if I'm going to have a soda.

A regular 8oz serving of Pepsi is 27 carbs, so I guess if someone was trying to wean themselves from sugar, it would be an okay choice, but it does contain that dratted aspertame.

Last edited by Nigel; 08-25-2012 at 12:13 PM..
Old 08-31-2012, 05:40 PM   #74
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Walmart brand s/f or diet gingerale (forgot how it's worded on the bottle)...it's pretty good, but it tastes like weak regular gingerale. It doesn't taste sugar free at all....just a little too weak for my liking. I haven't tried any other of thier brand of s/f drinks except lemonade and I like it--it's very tart, but I like it that way.
Old 08-31-2012, 05:43 PM   #75
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Sunshine Burger Garden Burger:

It was the only kind they had last shopping trip to whole paycheck. I really love the original, but they were out. Anyway, these are okay, very veggie and they cook up nicely with cilantro butter. And they were also the only other ones without garlic in them. Too bad they only come in boxes of 3.
Old 09-06-2012, 01:34 PM   #76
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imstarryeyed
WOE: lacto ovo pesco vegetarian low carb
Start Date: April 12, 2012
I decided to try Morningstar Farms Turkey Grillers when I saw them on sale at Target. I'd never seen them before. I'm not big on fake meat but these are just 90 calories and 2 net carbs a patty. I was surprised that I REALLY like them. My local grocery doesn't carry them but I'll definitely pick up more when I'm at Target. Anyone else try them?
imstarryeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2012, 08:29 AM   #77
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the review. I saw them but I thought they might taste too much like real turkey burgers. Since they are good, I'll pick some up next shopping trip, if they still have them. Our stores are strange, sometimes they carry things only one time and you never see them again, esp. if they are good sellers.
Old 09-11-2012, 02:05 PM   #78
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imstarryeyed
WOE: lacto ovo pesco vegetarian low carb
Start Date: April 12, 2012
This trip to Target I picked up the Morningstar Farm Chik'n Grillers. They're 80 calories and 2 net carbs. Didn't really like them much. Prefer the turkey grillers. I don't like Morningstar Farms chicken strips either. I think I like the turkey because it's a lot of veggies (and low carb) which many veggie patties are NOT.
imstarryeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2012, 02:15 PM   #79
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Zero Calorie Cascadia Ice Blackberry Currant

This drink had a very nice flavor and lots of fizz, but it was expensive for $1, but they only had single bottles of it. There were other flavors but this one appealed to me. I'm sure its mostly flavored water, but I liked the fizz.
Old 09-12-2012, 06:49 AM   #80
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

HEB Creamy Creations No Sugar Added Ice Cream

This was pretty good. 15 carbs per half cup, but you can only eat half a cup or else suffer gastric distress. The Blue Bell is better and less gassy. But hey, it does taste like Vanilla Ice Cream, so it was nice to have half a cup of it.
Old 09-13-2012, 12:28 PM   #81
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hill Country Fare Diet Grape Soda

HCF is an HEB store brand.

It was delicious!! I had to check the can to make sure it was diet and zero calorie and zero carb. I thought I'd messed up and drank the real thing. This is the first diet anything that actually didn't taste diet to me at all.

And they are cheap...only $1.25 per 6pk of cans.

Now I'm thinking I might venture out and try some of their other flavors.
Old 09-21-2012, 12:02 PM   #82
Senior LCF Member

Garden of Life Raw Protein powder in Chocolate Cacao

Hi all, I just had a scoop of this in my blender shake this morning. For me, it's pluses far outweigh it's negatives. It's "per serving" stats are: 90 calories, total carb 7 gr (dietary fiber 6 gr, soluble fiber 4 gr, insoluble fiber 1 gr and sugars less than 1 gr) so I'm guessing the NET CARBS should be 1 gr (right??), protein 17 gr, vitamins A, D, E and K, probiotics and enzymes and mixed tocopherols and a lot of other stuff including flax and chia.

Pluses: Everything that it's made from/with and what's supplemented, the fact that it's certified organic and the flavor is OK.

Minuses: A little gritty and chalky, but with all the fiber, etc. that's in it, one should probably expect that (I did). Since it was a flavored (chocolate cocoa) powder, I added my usual cup of ice cubes to the blender first to crush. They never blended and fully integrated with my soymilk and protein powder like my whey protein powder does - they sort of stayed in a crushed ice form and floated to the top. lol Not sure why. Maybe all the raw ingredients and fiber.
-----------------------
Because of all the added ice, I later added a bit of unsweetened cocoa powder and splenda to make up for the diluted taste. Next time I may just add more of this protein powder as I do with my other when I use ice.

This mixes easily in a hand shaker with almond milk (had a tiny sample made with this at the store before purchase), so you don't *need* a blender, which is nice.

I think next time I will purchase the unflavored, so I can add my frozen strawberries, etc. I may add some peanut butter to it (and maybe skip the ice) for the next one to see how it mixes. The store had 2 coupons totaling $10 off, so I couldn't pass it up!
Old 09-21-2012, 05:56 PM   #83
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pace Cheese Spread

It melts well, but is flavorless to me. I didn't check the carb count.
I got it in place of Velveeta.
Velveeta is way better as far as taste goes.
The Pace brand was a buck cheaper, but we all know that cheaper isn't necessarily better.

I made cheese sauce with it today with rotel and blah---and the other day mac 'n cheese and blah...so I won't buy it again.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:58 PM   #84
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Pepsi Max

I drink this about once a week when I'm craving cola and caffeine.
It tastes like a flat pepsi...not terrible, but it works for me.
It does contain that dratted aspertame though.
Old 10-11-2012, 10:06 AM   #85
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sunshinegirl44
Stats: 339/298/115
WOE: JUDDD
Start Date: June 2013
Thank you nigel for suggesting this post. I wanted to put in my thoughts on loma linda products. I found them on amazon and I think they are really good, a little expensive, but what isn't these days. They are cheaper on amazon then buying in health food stores and they are very versital. I try to buy something different every month. My son loves their veggie dogs(linkets), he eats them right from the can. They are also low in carbs for those on LC. I make a veggie spread with the veggie dogs. Any of the flavors work just take a can of whatever veggie dog you like and mash with a fork and mix with veganaise or mayo, mustard and pickle relish. Makes a good sandwich. Little links has a sausage flavor and is vegan.
Sunshinegirl44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 03:53 PM   #86
Senior LCF Member

I found this product for the first time last week, though I'm not sure if it's a new product or not.

Earth Balance Organic Coconut Spread
It's lactose, soy and gluten free and vegan. Needs to be refrigerated and container states it's "great for baking and cooking". Somehow I missed that statement when I purchased it LOL - thought I was buying a substitute for butter in all it's uses. So far I've only been using it to cook my breakfast eggs and cheese and I'm finally starting to get used to coconut-flavored eggs. I do think it will be very tasty for veggie stir frys or sauteed tofu when I get around to making them. I'm sure it would be great for baking certain items, but a little costly.

Last edited by Madge17; 11-08-2012 at 03:54 PM..
Old 11-09-2012, 02:05 PM   #87
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I noticed on their website that they have a few recipes. Some might be worth trying.

I also noticed they have coconut butter like almond butter. I thought that was pretty wild--never heard of it either.
Old 11-10-2012, 08:47 AM   #88
Senior LCF Member

Nigel - I've purchased almond butter 2 or 3 times now - the WF 365 brand and I try to purchase when it's on sale. The jar I have now is the "crunchy, which I like much better than smooth...and that goes for PB also. I'm still not as fond of the taste of AB as I am PB (I love PB), but at least I don't find it as unpleasant as I did at first. That's odd too, since I love almonds. LOL I prefer to mix the 2 butters together for both the taste and $$ savings. AB is expensive stuff, esp. if you eat as much of the jarred butters as I do.
Old 11-10-2012, 09:03 AM   #89
Senior LCF Member

Tumaro's "Multigran" LC Tortillas
Total Carbs -11g
Fiber - 7g
Net carbs - 4g

Protein - 6g
Fat - 2g

I'm new on the LC tortilla scene and have only tasted 2 other brands. This one tastes MUCH better (to me) than the others - one which I think was Smart & Delicious and the other I can't remember, but it was really tasteless and awful.
Old 11-14-2012, 06:44 PM   #90
Senior LCF Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madge17 View Post
I found this product for the first time last week, though I'm not sure if it's a new product or not.

Earth Balance Organic Coconut Spread
It's lactose, soy and gluten free and vegan. Needs to be refrigerated and container states it's "great for baking and cooking". Somehow I missed that statement when I purchased it LOL - thought I was buying a substitute for butter in all it's uses. So far I've only been using it to cook my breakfast eggs and cheese and I'm finally starting to get used to coconut-flavored eggs. I do think it will be very tasty for veggie stir frys or sauteed tofu when I get around to making them. I'm sure it would be great for baking certain items, but a little costly.
Hi Madge! I happened to be in Whole Foods a few days ago when they had samples of this available. I thought it was really delicious. Not sure what I would use it for, though.