Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-27-2012, 03:37 AM   #31
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
My kids hate those morningstar links - but are addicted to the Morningstar Breakfast Patties (original flavor) - not the maple!!!! Even dh, our token meateater, likes them.
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 03-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #32
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
I'll have to try the breakfast patties then.

The stuff (vegetarian pre-made products) are so expensive that I hate to waste it, so I'm always trying to "doctor" it up to make it edible.

One of these days, I'll invent my own and give up the store bought stuff.

Nice to see ya here Pauline. This places is kinda slow lately.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2012, 04:15 AM   #33

Honestly Nigel, most people I know who have been vegetarians for any length of time do not use a lot of these products - but it is a great way to get going in that direction. it is funny because they all emulate meat products, and from what you say, they evidently do not measure up flavor-wise for those used to eating meat - and particularly people like you who cook (you strike me as a good cook, lol!!).

Myself, I mostly use tofu, tempeh and nuts along with dairy .. and would totally rather have a portabella mushroom sandwich with as slice of mozzarella and some pine nuts than a soy burger anyday, lol!! I think, as a vegetarian, the most desireable part of my meals is the vegetable combinations ... yummy peppers and onions and mushrooms and olives and sundried tomatoes and green beans and eggplant and broccoli sauteed in olive oil ... the "protein" is the side dish or garnish, not necessarily the centerpiece of a meal

I am on the boards daily if you - or anyone - ever need to find me!

Pauline
Old 03-28-2012, 11:38 AM   #34
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks Pauline, nice to know.
Old 04-14-2012, 07:40 PM   #35
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Sherril
Stats: 207/188.6/125
WOE: Low-carb lacto-ovo vegetarian
Start Date: 11/09 the first time 2/12 this time
A friend suggested I try the Morningstar Farms fake bacon. I made a casserole and sprinkled it chopped over the dish, uncooked. It came out fantastic and really added to the flavor of the casserole. I've bought this in the past and couldn't get over how strange and fake it looked. Now I'm a convert! It's really good.
Sherril is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 09:41 PM   #36
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I tried that years ago and didn't care for it, but I've been thinking I should give it another shot. Thanks for the review.
Old 04-15-2012, 08:03 AM   #37
Senior LCF Member

Nigel, you've probably had the real stuff more recently than I have for comparison. It's been about 28 years since I've had the real deal so I thought it was great. If real bacon tastes different, I wouldn't know since I've probably forgotten what it's supposed to taste like.
Old 04-15-2012, 09:02 AM   #38
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imstarryeyed
WOE: lacto ovo pesco vegetarian low carb
Start Date: April 12, 2012
I'm not big on meat substitutes. I never cared for meat much which made it very easy to give it up. I miss things like mashed potatoes and mac and cheese.

I was wondering if anyone has tried Thick'n Potatoes? You add a tsp or so to mashed cauliflower to give it more of a mashed potato consistency.
imstarryeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2012, 10:11 AM   #39
Senior LCF Member

I haven't tried it. I'm buy only what I can find in my grocery store, and I haven't seen that. However, I have discovered that roasting the cauliflower in olive oil before making it into mash gives it a better flavor.
Old 04-16-2012, 04:29 AM   #40

Gloria - I'm the same. I do not get why fake body parts are supposed to be appealing to vegetarians, lol! That said I do use some of the products! I think they make them for people who are told by their doctors to cut down on meat consumption - as the other group of actual vegetarians is likely too small a market for those big companies ..

I made mashed cauli my first year on atkins for Thanksgiving and now my family demands it on Thanksgiving, lol! This year for the first time, I used one of those faked mashed potato products - half of it, and half mashed cauliflower and I think it cam out pretty well. One of my tricks is to always use green onion or fresh chives in it and it somehow tastes more like mashed potato. I could see how the roasting trick would do that too!!! Thanks for the idea Sherrill!!!

P
Old 05-07-2012, 02:10 PM   #41
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Madge17
WOE: MeatlessLowCarb/LowSodium
Start Date: April 2012
Last week I got to try 2 new items, and as promised (Nigel ), here are my thoughts...

1) Gardein Chick'n Fillets - I barely got the last forkful down, even after adding sauteed mushrooms and onions to the last few bites. I *think* they might be okay cut into pieces and mixed with something else and a sauce - at least that is what I will try for the 2nd serving. They came with their own seasoned sauce, but I didn't like the taste and texture at all. I will give them one more chance though, but not as fillets on a plate with sides like I tried last weekend.

2) Sharitaki noodles - once I rinsed thoroughly to get rid of the smell (as instructed on the package) and cooked them they were quite good. Unfortunately I didn't have access to my computer this week, so I couldn't read the thread on Sharitaki noodles that I think MargD suggested. I rinsed and boiled them for several minutes longer than suggested, and used them as spaghetti with pasta sauce and Nate's Zesty Italian non-meatballs. . I will be looking forward to having these again! My only disappointment was that they have only 1 gram of protein per serving. I was hoping they would be more along the lines of tofu in that respect, but other than that I'm not complaining.
Madge17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #42
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thanks for the reviews Madge17.

I am not a fan of the shirataki like most people are. They reminded me of rubber bands and I could never get them chewed up. I cooked them properly and tried several different ways. i couldn't even get the dogs to eat them and they like everything. lol
I ended up giving the rest of the case I had ordered to a friend.
Old 05-08-2012, 09:21 AM   #43
Senior LCF Member

Nigel,
I found them to be rubberband-like too, which is why I kept boiling them for another 4-5 minutes past the package recommendation. I kept pulling one out and taste-testing like I do pasta. Eventually they softened up enough to be able to chew through. Their original rubberbandishness was why I was frustrated with not being able to use my computer and look up the thread on shirataki - I had hoped there would be some info on fixing the rubber. They are really tasteless, which was ok with me - better than having an odd or unfavorable taste. I could pretend I was eating pasta and sauce like everyone else. I would NOT care to eat them plain or cold though (like I could with whole wheat pasta).

What methods did you try that weren't acceptable to you - (or your dogs? ) I still haven't had a chance to read that Shirataki thread, perhaps today I'll have some spare time.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:36 PM   #44
Senior LCF Member

I found and read the shirataki noodle thread and did a little more research on these noodles. There seems to be two types of shirataki - one is made with the addition of a little tofu and supposedly has a less rubbery texture. The brand I used was Hungry Girl Tofu Shirataki, whose packaging looks like the House Foods brand packaging I also found in my searches.

After what I've read I'm glad I didn't read the shirataki thread prior to making them - I probably would never have boiled them longer like I did. For me, the lengthy boiling softened them up, so I don't understand the reasons against it. I was a bit worried that over-cooking could work the opposite and toughen them up, but it didn't - at least not by boiling. One Shirataki website I visited even suggested boiling them until you liked the texture.

As the package instructed I rinsed the heck out of them in a strainer under running water until the smell was almost completely gone and dried them well in paper towels, then boiled them until I could more easily cut them with my teeth, strained them in a colander (no rinsing this time, so they would dry from the heat and air), dried them well again in paper towels and then immediately tossed them with a few tablespoons of pasta sauce, as I would with regular pasta. They were chewier then whole wheat pasta for sure, but not like rubberbands. Maybe I was just desperate for something noodle-like...or possibly the name brand (or the type) makes a difference. I have 2 more packages, one angel hair and one fettuccine. This package was the spaghetti.

I can see how people would like these better in Asian dishes though, since they are more dense and toothy, like udon or soba noodles.
Old 05-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #45
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

It's been a long time since I tried them, years actually.

I bought the ones from the konjac foods site and you could only order a case which was around $50. I'm pretty sure they were made from glucommanen or something like that.

There was an old thread with lots of suggestions on how to cook them and I tried most of them, but no luck.

Maybe if I could find the newer types with tofu or something in them. I don't eat much pasta, just Dreamfield's and I'm not sure its all that low carb that it claims to be. It seems to be complicated about how it works in the digestive system.
Old 05-16-2012, 03:58 PM   #46
Senior LCF Member

Nasoya Organic Black Soybean Tofuplus (firm)
which is actually a mix of yellow and black whole soybeans

Made it last night for dinner - drained for several hours in a colander with paper towels. Pan-fried in olive oil. The 12 oz. package makes 4 servings. I made 2 servings plain and 1 serving w/ 1 Tabl. of added hoisin sauce and the other w/ 1 Tabl. peanut sauce. I had the plain to evaluate. I think it tastes like regular tofu, with a little extra flavor (might be my imagination though) . It has specks of black soybean in it. Tonight I'll try the seasoned servings. I will definitely purchase it again. I like the fact that the Nasoya tofuplus is organic, non-GMO and has added Vitamin E.

Just wondering - Are you allowed to link to a product on the message boards?
Old 05-16-2012, 08:54 PM   #47
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Mercuryfan
Stats: Fat Swine Pig
WOE: Vegetarian
Start Date: 09/15/03
I have tried two new products recently. Both are EXCELLENT.

I found a new veggie burger at Wal-Mart, Lightlife Farmers Market veggie burger, not really low carb though. I like them better than Morningstar veggie burgers because they are a little bit bigger, and they have a somewhat grilled flavor. Lightlife also has a griller version, but I don't care for ANY of the "griller" versions because they taste too much like real beef, something I don't want to ever taste again.

The other product Worthington Frichik is one I have to order from Vege Foods, because it is not available in my state, but this product is WONDERFUL. It tastes nothing like chicken.. It's really low in carbs too. 1 gm per serving, 110 calories per serving, and 10 gm protein. It IS in a can however. I've had it twice, once in a bbq sauce, and the second time I simmered it in a mustard/honey sauce and it was really really yummy. Its a little expensive, but well worth it.

If you should look at other Worthington products, do not under any circumstances, try the Worthington Burger (its canned also)...it looks like dog food, smells like dog food....and unfortunately tasted like what I think dog food tastes like!

I don't rely alot on fake meat products, I'd much rather have vegetables!!! But if I have trouble getting protein, I'm glad fake meat products are available.

Nigel, I'm surprised you didn't like Burger King's veggie burger because they use Morningstar veggie burgers...at least they do at my local BK.

Thanks for everyone's products reviews!!!
Old 05-16-2012, 09:06 PM   #48
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Hi mercuryfan,
Thanks for all the reviews. I didn't like Burger King's at all. I don't care for regular morningstar farms burgers either. I only like the big one that is made from black beans. I think it's called the 1/4 pounder. Maybe it was the way burger king made them, but they were yuk, really yuk and I tried them about 4 times just to see if it was my taste buds or them. it was them. I really like Sunshine Burgers now. I have to be careful of what I buy because most things contain garlic and I have an allergy to that. I haven't seen the Lightlife burgers at my walmart yet, but I'll keep looking.
I don't want my meat substitutes to taste like real meat either, I just want them to taste good. Does that make sense? I like the idea of a burger patty or fake steak or fake chicken just for the protein aspect. I'm not crazy about beans if they taste like beans. I do eat beans of some type or peas about once a week. I wish I liked them more, then it would be easier. Keep up the reviews...I like hearing about new products.
Old 05-16-2012, 09:07 PM   #49
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madge17 View Post
Nasoya Organic Black Soybean Tofuplus (firm)
which is actually a mix of yellow and black whole soybeans

Made it last night for dinner - drained for several hours in a colander with paper towels. Pan-fried in olive oil. The 12 oz. package makes 4 servings. I made 2 servings plain and 1 serving w/ 1 Tabl. of added hoisin sauce and the other w/ 1 Tabl. peanut sauce. I had the plain to evaluate. I think it tastes like regular tofu, with a little extra flavor (might be my imagination though) . It has specks of black soybean in it. Tonight I'll try the seasoned servings. I will definitely purchase it again. I like the fact that the Nasoya tofuplus is organic, non-GMO and has added Vitamin E.

Just wondering - Are you allowed to link to a product on the message boards?
Thank you for the review. It sounds good to me.

As for links, I don't think you can. You could just put the name of the website on here without the link and then we can find it that way.
Old 05-19-2012, 04:20 AM   #50
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Product Review:

Torani Sugar Free Raspberry Syrup

This stuff was at our super walmart and it was about $4 for the bottle. The bottle is small, about half the size of DaVinci's, but I was so happy to find it, I snagged up a bottle. It's delicious.

I am making some pear fruit leather and added some to change the flavor and yum!! I can't wait for the dehydrater to get finished.

I didn't taste any funny aftertaste either which is the best thing for me. It's the first time they had Torani's and the first time for any syrup sugar free besides pancake syrup.
Old 05-19-2012, 09:54 PM   #51
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: imstarryeyed
WOE: lacto ovo pesco vegetarian low carb
Start Date: April 12, 2012
Nigel, Do you have a Cost Plus World Market near you? I buy Torani's sugar free syrups there. They have a big selection and the bottles are DaVinci size. They go on sale occasionally. Coconut is one of my favorites.
imstarryeyed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2012, 12:44 AM   #52
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Unfortunatley, no. I wish they did. There is Sam's and Costco in San Antonio, about 85 miles from me, so I don't go there but once every couple of months and I'm not a member of Costco so I've never been in there, just Sam's.

I live in a rural area and the closest town is about 15 miles away and about 20,000 people there. We only have a few stores...Super Walmart, HEB Grocery, a very small Dollar Tree, family dollar and dollar general. That's about it for shopping besides a couple of clothing stores. Living in the country has it advantages, but it is not great for shopping.

I order a lot of stuff online, but haven't lately just because I have so much in the pantry that needs to be used up.

That coconut syrup sounds good. I like coconut just about anything.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:55 AM   #53
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

MSF grilled chicken patty........man, this crap reminded me so much of processed chicken nuggets. (the texture of them)

I made it in parchment paper with some veggies and it was blah. Even though I added butter and plenty of spices, it was tasteless. My dog loved it. The veggies were great.

There are 3 more patties that came in the box. I'm going to marinate it overnight to see if it can get some flavor and make up some breading and try making chicken strips from it. I'll post again when I get around to doing that...has to be a day when I'm not too hungry just in case it flops.

Quorn naked chiken cutlets are the best.....nothing compares.
Old 06-08-2012, 10:50 AM   #54
Senior LCF Member

Almond Breeze Almond & Coconut Milk Blend (refrigerated)
If you like almond milk or coconut milk you will probably like this one too. I'm not a fan of plain coconut milk and I'm not sure if I've ever had almond milk (I know I don't like rice milk). As a skim milk drinker, I became accustomed to the "thinner" taste of milk. This blend tastes like diluted skim milk with an almond and coconut oil flavor. It's palatable and I'll drink it for the lower carbs, but not because I really like it. Maybe like tofu and soy milk, I'll get more used to it over time.

I think it would be great with pineapple, (like a pina colada) but of course that's a no-no. It tasted lousy this morning as a protein drink with frozen raspberries added. I've had it plain with protein powder and ice in a blender, and that tasted much better than today with adding berries. Maybe I'll find some pineapple flavoring I can add.
Old 06-10-2012, 05:54 PM   #55
Senior LCF Member

Guess I can't edit my above post anymore, so I'll add this one.

I gave the "Almond Breeze" blend another chance last evening with dinner and I guess I'm getting more used to the taste - wasn't bad at all. This morning I had it as an icy, blender drink and added 4 cubes of canned pineapple to the mix. It was good, I'll be having it as a protein powder blender drink again (no berries with it though - ever)! I still plan to look for pineapple extract/flavoring on my next shopping trip, so I won't have the extra carbs from pineapple chunks. Final verdict: for Coconut/Almond Milk blend.
Old 06-11-2012, 05:00 AM   #56
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

They do have DaVinci pineapple syrup, if you can use that stuff.
Old 06-27-2012, 04:26 AM   #57
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Almond Cheese:

It's good, really good. I was impressed. I don't recall what brand it was, but I got it at Sprouts and I was so lax on trying it, but this week, I decided to bite the bullet and eat some.

I made lettuce sandwiches out of it and it was good. I know there are recipes to make this type of cheese, but my time is limited during the summer for kitchen stuff, but it is something I want to make as soon as I can pencil it in.

Next time, I'm going to get the cashew cheese and whatever other nut cheese or soy cheese they might have.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:54 AM   #58
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gardein Chicken...not sure of the exact name, but it's faux chicken breasts.

They were a little soft, but I fried them up and they weren't bad.

I also tried frying up the MSF chicken and it was still yuk...I will try them both as chicken parmesan later and see what happens. I won't purchase the MSF farms brand of faux chicken again though.

The best is Quorn brand naked cutlets. Too bad they don't carry them where I live.
Old 07-08-2012, 05:44 AM   #59
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MargD
Stats: 134/126/119 (Orig. 180)
WOE: Pescatarian/LC/4:3
Start Date: May, 2011
I was at my local, independent health food store yesterday and I found something very tasty. It's called:

Artisana 100% Organic, Raw Coconut Butter

I've heard about coconut butter on this site, but I had never tried it. I found a single serving pouch for $1.59 and it was amazing! I just loved the creamy taste. This would be a good snack for on-the-go. I think the portion size, 1.19 oz, is airport friendly, too.

One caveat, it got just a bit oily/messy, but I think that might have had a lot to do with the 99 degree heat yesterday. It felt much more solid in the store than when I opened it.

I plan on going back for more. Not sure if it will be the single serving packets, or if I'll get a larger container. I understand you can make your own with unsweetened coconut, so maybe I'll try that.
MargD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2012, 02:19 PM   #60
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

SO DELICIOUS ALMOND PLUS MILK

SO DELICIOUS ALMOND PLUS MILK

Good stuff. Only 1 carb per cup and 5x the protein of regular almond milk...so 5 gr protein per cup.

It has a mild taste and I like that.

I made a blueberry smoothie with it today.
Later I'm going to make my EZ ice cream with it.

Code:

(gee, it sure is lonely on this forum lately)