Low Carb Friends

Low Carb Friends (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/)
-   Vegetarian (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/)
-   -   What did all the Vegetarians have for Thanksgiving? (http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/vegetarian/746918-what-did-all-vegetarians-have-thanksgiving.html)

Nigel 11-25-2011 08:39 PM

What did all the Vegetarians have for Thanksgiving?

Just wondering.

I had all the usual Thanksgiving stuff except instead of the turkey, I had boca chicken nuggets. They were pretty good. I prefer the morningstar farms buffalo wings though.

TaDa! 11-26-2011 06:33 AM

Casserole with cheese and morningstar crumbles
Mashed cauliflower
rosemary green beans

As an lc'er I skipped the other Thanksgiving food - since I had more than enough food .. but my highcarb vegetarians added vegetarian stuffing (made in casserole) and baked potatoes to that.

Nigel 11-27-2011 10:52 AM

You menu sounds good. I guess you and I are the only Vegetarians that ate Thanksgiving? LOL:up:

DimSumKitty 11-28-2011 11:32 AM

I had lots of salad, grilled root veggies like beets and carrots, a brown rice pilaf and fresh and tart cranberry sauce, and Tofurkey and wild rice stuffing (the day after). My body, it turns out, doesn't seem to like the Tofurkey so I am detoxing (juice feasting) now. Happy Belated Thanksgiving, all.

Nigel 11-28-2011 11:38 AM

Nice to see you DimSumKitty. I was wondering where you were.

DimSumKitty 11-28-2011 11:41 AM

:)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nigel (Post 15208467)
Nice to see you DimSumKitty. I was wondering where you were.

Nice to be missed :).

MaryMary 12-25-2011 06:27 PM

Sine we did have some meat eaters, I made roast pork for them. I made a beautiful salad, vegan pierogis, rice with slivered almonds, green peas, sautéed mushrooms & onions, white corn, winter squash and coconut chocolate ice cream (non-dairy) for my vegan daughter. There was also fresh fruit, apple pie and baklava for the non-vegans. I was able to have my protein, some of the mushroom/onion mix,a small amount of winter squash and my salad with Goddess dressing from Trader Joes.

I had just enough, was satisfied and felt no guilt after dinner.

TaDa! 12-26-2011 04:04 AM

Ohmigosh Mary!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! How are you sweetie??!!!!!!! I've missed you!!! it's been a few years!

Nice to see you!!!

:love:

Pauline

MaryMary 12-26-2011 06:39 AM

Hi TaDa! I am doing good and had a wonderful Christmas. My daughter was here with her boyfriend as well as hubby and his mom. Santa brought me an Ipad2 via my daughter and so now it is a whole lot easier to go online. My old PC was slow slow slow!

How's your family and life treating you? I eat vegetarian 2 meals out of 3. That's a big improvement from my early days in Atkins.

Have a blessed and Happy New Year!

putthekettleon 12-28-2011 08:10 AM

What a great thread. My husband and I are doing South Beach, and I'm very happy with it. I've kind of flip-flopped over vegetarianism this past year, but now I'm really committed. I'm reading the new book South Beach Wake up Call, and in it, Dr. Agatston says you can't dispute the health value of vegetarian diets. Plus he's kind of softened his stance on saturated fats.

Unfortunately, the South Beach Diet board is kind of dead right now (probably that time of year), so I think I'll hang out here with you guys!

TaDa! 12-28-2011 09:47 AM

Welcome putthekettleon! I always have said that if SBD was around when I started Atkins vegetarian-style, it would have been the more obvious choice for me!

:)

Pauline

putthekettleon 12-29-2011 12:26 PM

Hi Pauline, I just want to tell you how helpful your posts on vegetarianism are to me, even if I never commented on them!

I am very happy with my choice of plan. I wanted some good plan structure without counting up carb grams (or whatever) all day long, and South Beach really gives me that. Plus not counting numbers is freeing me up to focus on my hunger/satiety signals and other reasons why I eat. I am reading the book I Can Make You Thin (stupid title, but great book!), and I'm realizing how in the past I always ate because I had either calories left, or fat grams left, or carb grams left, or Weight Watchers points left...you get the picture. I never really ate just because I was hungry! Now I'm learning to eat for reasons other than that. It's a real learning curve!

TaDa! 12-29-2011 03:38 PM

That is great Putthekettleon! It sounds like a really good plan for eating vegetarian s it incorporates the whole grains and beans much sooner than Atkins would .. that would have been the draw for me!

RW City Sue 12-30-2011 07:07 AM

Hi everyone. I am hoping to connect more with the veggie crowd in the upcoming year. This woe is what just seems right for me and seems to agree best with my body. Since really getting more serious about my health, I am lighter by 20 plus lbs over the past 3 months (I am down 60 now from top weight) and I've been able to cut my insulin use in half from what I was taking.

So I have good evidence that argues for keeping on a veggie course, ha!

putthekettleon, I have the book 'I Can Make You Thin' also and found it very helpful. Do you have the CD too? My book came with it and I noticed a difference right away after listening to it.

Happy New Year all!

Sue

Nigel 12-30-2011 12:02 PM

Welcome. Congrats on the weight loss.

TaDa! 12-30-2011 12:33 PM

WTG Sue!!! I lost all my weight veggie too ... it makes me really scratch my head when people dis veggie lowcarb in any way, lol!!

hahahha of course, I was a fat vegetarian for about 25 years before I ever found lc, but hey ... eat the western world's diet and that's what it gets you, veggie or no veggie.

Big Congratulations on getting your insulin down! Awesome!

:love:

Pauline

RW City Sue 12-30-2011 06:10 PM

Thanks Nigel and Pauline. So true about the way one interprets vegetarian. My first try with it years ago was eating a lot of cheese--didn't have a clue what to eat and wasn't raised eating many veggies.

Cheers, Sue

putthekettleon 01-01-2012 09:02 AM

Happy New Year Everyone! Sue, I do have the cd and I can't believe how relaxing it is! The book is helping me immensely. I love it. I also ordered the 90 day journal from amazon u.k. since amazon u.s. sells it a higher price...even with shipping!

I am very grateful for having discovered I Can Make You Thin. It's helping me so much. I really THINK now, before I put anything in my mouth, because I am so used to eating out of emotions and not true hunger.