Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-12-2011, 10:44 AM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Does anyone have a recipe for vegetarian pate?

Does anyone have a recipe for vegetarian pate?

I made a walnut mushroom pate today and it was yuk. I even added in a few things to try and make it taste better, but no luck. I can't eat garlic, so I left it out, but still it was blah.

Any help greatly appreciated here.

Here is the recipe I used:

1 tbsp olive oil
14 cup water
8 ozs white mushrooms (sliced)
1 onion (chopped)
1 cup walnuts
salt
pepper

1Heat oil over medium heat and saute onions and mushrooms for 2 minutes.2Add water, cover pan, and cook for 8 minutes over medium heat.3There should be a small amount of water left in the pan at this time.4Meanwhile, chop walnuts in food processor.5Add the mushroom mixture to the walnuts in the food processor and process until smooth.6Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-12-2011, 11:30 AM   #2
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
I would think a hummus-type recipe would be ideal. It would not be particularly low-carb, but it would be very healthy nevertheless.

Here are a few I found online; I have not tried any of them, but I think I will have to try them very soon!

Quote:
From "Care2" web site

Italian Lentil Pate

INGREDIENTS
3 to 5 tablespoons olive oil
1 small onion, chopped
2 teaspoons balsamic vinegar
1/2 teaspoon maple syrup
1 cup leftover cooked lentils (cooked in vegetable broth with 1 clove garlic)
1/4 cup pine nuts, lightly toasted
1 cup chopped parsley
1 teaspoon dried oregano
1 teaspoon dried thyme
Sea salt and freshly-ground black pepper, to taste

1. Warm 1 tablespoon of the olive oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add the onion and cook, stirring occasionally, for 2 to 3 minutes. Add the vinegar and maple syrup and cook, stirring occasionally, for 3 to 4 minutes, until the onion is completely soft and caramelized.

2. Blend the caramelized onion, lentils, pine nuts, remaining 2 to 4 tablespoons olive oil, parsley, oregano, and thyme in a food processor until completely smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Quote:
From "Care2" web site

Hearty Walnut Cheese Pate

INGREDIENTS

1/2 stick unsalted butter
4 small onions or shallots, finely chopped
1 teaspoon paprika
2 garlic cloves, crushed
1 teaspoons snipped fresh chives
1 1/2 cups cottage cheese
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup ricotta cheese
1 cup walnuts, lightly toasted and chopped
2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
2 teaspoons lemon juice
2 cups mature Cheddar cheese, coarsely grated
sea salt and black pepper, to taste

For decoration:

1/2 cup cream cheese
2 scallions, finely chopped
1/4 cup walnuts, toasted
1/4 cup pitted black olives

1. Preheat oven to 325F. Use 1/4 of the butter to grease a loaf pan. Melt the rest of the butter in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan and saute the onions or shallots until softened.

2. Using a food processor, or in a bowl, combine remaining ingredients, then fold in the softened onions or shallots. Spread mixture evenly into greased loaf pan and bake in preheated oven for 1 hour.

3. Remove pan from oven and allow to cool. When cool, refrigerate for 3 hours. Turn pate out on to a plate.

4. To decorate, in a small bowl, beat the cream cheese and scallions together, then season with salt and pepper to taste. Spread this over the pate, and garnish decoratively with walnuts and olives (you can get very creative here!).

5. Cut the pate into slices to serve, along with a salad and bread or crackers.

Serves 8.
Quote:
From "Care2" web site

White Bean Pate

INGREDIENTS

1 tablespoon safflower oil
1 medium onion, chopped
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 medium celery stalk, chopped
2 tablespoons miso, more or less to taste
Juice of 1/2 lemon
1 sprig parsley
1 1/2 cups well-cooked northern beans (use canned to save time)
Freshly-ground black pepper, to taste
Paprika for garnish

1. Heat the oil in a small skillet. Add onion, garlic, celery and saute over moderate heat until all are tender or golden.

2. Transfer to the container of a food processor with all of the remaining ingredients except the paprika, plus 2 tablespoons of water. Process until creamy and smooth.

2. Refrigerate until ready to serve. May be placed in a lidded container for lunchbox (sprinkle with paprika first), with crackers or slices of French bread wrapped separately. May also be used as a sandwich filling on your favorite bread. If serving as an appetizer, place in a shallow serving container. Bring to room temperature before serving.

Makes about 2 cups.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 10:51 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you for the recipes, nikki.
Old 11-13-2011, 11:34 PM   #4

Gallery: DimSumKitty
Ginger Nut Pate

1.5 Tablespoon ginger
1 clove garlic
˝ - 1 teaspoon sea salt (or a squirt of amino acids)
1.5 cups raw almonds, soaked overnight (I generally use a couple of cups of raw sprouted sunflower seeds)
1 large lemon’s juice

Blend ingredients in a food processor until smooth.

You can stir in finely chopped veggies such as raw onion, or chopped steamed broccoli or carrots, or even chopped olives or pickles.

Serve with crackers or high-protein nut bread (high-protein almond meal flax rosemary crackers are good or dehydrated seed/nut crackers) or rolled up in large lettuce leaves.

*If you don't like an ingredient, garlic, ginger, etc., or have an allergy, replace it with something better for you.

Last edited by DimSumKitty; 11-13-2011 at 11:34 PM.. Reason: forgot a word :)
DimSumKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2011, 11:27 AM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Thank you for the recipe, DimSumKitty.

I've been looking for spread type vegetarian stuff to put on lettuce or crackers or bread, just for a quick snack.
Old 11-14-2011, 05:53 PM   #6

You're welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
Thank you for the recipe, DimSumKitty.
You're welcome, Nigel! I love veggie pate as a quick snack, or even light lunch alternative with a smoothie or small salad or soup.

I have tons of recipes, including for non-grain crackers, breads and baked goods (almond and flax meal, generally) and some raw food recipes. I think I'll start posting stuff like that in my blog (maybe the day I bake something).

Just made my honey some almond meal, flax banana muffins (half of them with dried cranberries). I don't eat bananas so I'll skip them but they are lower carb, high protein (6 eggs in 12 large muffins).

Smiles~*
Old 11-15-2011, 05:13 AM   #7
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Do post your recipes DimSum!! I also make slightly higher carb foods for my family .. but love when they are lc / healthy and I can trick them into eating them .. hahahaaa!

Nigel, I have seen recipes for vegetable terrine which is like a beautiful layered pate .. most call for cream cheese which is a problem food for me personally, lol but cream cheese seems to be a real lc staple for everyone else. You might google a recipe for terrine in your search for pate (a term which always gives me the willies, lol .. as all I can think of is animal innards, hahaaaa)

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story

Last edited by TaDa!; 11-15-2011 at 05:15 AM..
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2011, 02:07 PM   #8

Ok!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Do post your recipes DimSum!! I also make slightly higher carb foods for my family .. but love when they are lc / healthy and I can trick them into eating them .. hahahaaa!
Hey Pauline:

Okay! I'll do start posting yummy, healthful recipes to my blog. I have some great baked goods (including an almond meal Irish soda bread I make every week) that are so good your family won't know what they're eating

Old 11-16-2011, 11:30 AM   #9
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

hahaha TaDa! I've never had animal type pate and I don't know how anyone can eat that kind of stuff either...Maybe I should have said spread recipes instead of pate recipes.

Yes, DimSumKitty, please do share your recipes with us. The irish soda bread sounds interesting. I don't stick to strictly low carb, but I maintin low carb mostly, so any recipes that are vegetarian would be great. Thanks in advance.
Old 11-16-2011, 11:56 AM   #10

Recipes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigel View Post
hahaha TaDa! I've never had animal type pate and I don't know how anyone can eat that kind of stuff either...Maybe I should have said spread recipes instead of pate recipes. Yes, DimSumKitty, please do share your recipes with us.
Hahaha, just went back and saw @TaDa's comment about animal innards. So funny. Yes, I am personally vegetarian but do eat eggs . Will happily start blogging recipes soon!