Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-09-2011, 08:06 PM   #1
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: steady
Stats: 110/95 5'2
WOE: ATKINS
Start Date: Feb 2007
Stuffed Eggplant - Indian Style

Every once in a while I got through a phase that I don't want meat and go back to my old beloved vegetarian ways. I thought I would share this recipe, but the idea was inspire by Mark Bittman's recipe.

Indian Eggplant Stuffed with Sesame-Peanut Masala
Serves 4
1/4 cup toasted white (hulled) sesame seeds
1/2 cup unsalted roasted peanuts
1/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut

2 tablespoons brown sugar (or equivalent substitute)

1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon black salt or regular salt

1/2 teaspoon ground turmeric
1/2 teaspoon cayenne
1 tsp of garam masala
1/2 tsp of toasted cumin powder

1 teaspoon minced or crushed garlic
1/4 cup finely minced onion

1/4 cup finely chopped cilantro leaves
2-3 teaspoons water
8 Indian eggplants, or 6 small Italian or Japanese eggplants (1 1/2 pounds total)
3 to 4 tablespoons oil-I used coconut oil

1/3 cup water
1. For the filling, use a mini food processor to grind the sesame seeds, peanuts, coconut, sugar (or substitute), salts, turmeric, garam masala, cumin powder, and cayenne to a crumbly texture. Transfer to a bowl and mix in the garlic, onion, cilantro and water to create a compact, spreadable mixture. Set aside.
2. Use scissors to trim the eggplant stems so that they are about 1/2 inch long. Use your fingers to remove the green pointy flaps of the eggplant caps. Make a deep cross incision in each eggplant, stopping 1/2-inch short of the stem. To do that, position each one on its side on your cutting board. Hold it down with one hand while you wield the knife with the other hand to make the first horizontal cut. Roll the eggplant 90 degrees and make the second horizontal cut.
3. Use a teaspoon to stuff each eggplant with about 1/8 of the filling. Gently pry open the eggplant, stuff in the filling. Make sure there is filling between each of the cuts. Gently squeeze the eggplant to make the filling sticks and fills the crevices.
4. Pour the oil into a large nonstick skillet over medium heat to film the bottom. When hot, add the eggplants in a single layer. Fry the eggplants for 3 to 4 minutes, turning frequently, to brown them on two sides. Don’t fret when some of the filling spills out. Add the water, cover with a lid or foil, and turn the heat to low. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes, turning halfway through, until tender. Pierce with the tip of a knife to test. There will be filling in the skillet bottom. If you want to crisp those bits and serve them with the eggplant, increase the heat to medium high and fry for 1 to 2 minutes, until crisp. Remove from the heat, let the sizzling subside, then transfer to a plate and serve hot or warm.

I also made a quick yogurt sauce to go on top.
  • 1/2 cup of greek yogurt
  • any remaining filling (other wise just add a little minced onion, garlic, and cilantro)
  • about a 1/4-1/2 tsp of toasted cumin
  • about a 1/4-1/2 tsp of cayenne pepper (to taste)
  • add enough water to loosen the mixture into a sauce consistency.
  • salt to taste (black salt is good if you have it)

Last edited by steady; 11-09-2011 at 08:08 PM..
steady is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 11-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #2
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
Ummm, that sounds good. Thank you for the recipe.
Nigel is offline   Reply With Quote