Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-11-2011, 12:45 PM   #1
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: MsBlondeGRIT
Stats: 185/185/135 5'6
WOE: Atkins of varying degrees but do best on high fat
Start Date: 09/04/12
Newbie considering veggie atkins, needing advice!

Hi TaDa and other veggie Atkins men and women,

I have been looking into the eco-atkins, or vegetarian Atkins, lifestyle since before I got pregnant which was in December of 2010. I just had a baby boy on 9/11/11 and am breastfeeding him exclusively. I am extremely hungry all the time, and the carb roller coaster of cravings I am on is killing me. I have not lost any weight and am in fact gaining slowly.

I have never been a huge meat eater and I love veggies, cheese, fats and nuts. I tend to eat that way when I go on Atkins. I am writing to ask for some advice and I hope you all can help me.

First, what do you do for sweet cravings, with veggie atkins? i think low carb cheesecake could be satisfying and on plan? I have to have a sweet substitute to be successful, at least in the beginning. I can usually wean off this after a while.

Second, have any of the ladies breastfed while eating veggie atkins? I know ketosis may or may not be bad for baby so I plan to not go into ketosis while eating this way. I just hope my milk supply will remain good, but it has always been pretty abundant.

Third, I am hypothyroid and I cannot eat soy or so I am told. Is it true that Quorn is the only meat substitute that is soy free? It seems I remember a Boca or morningstar burger that was soy free if anyone can tell me that?

Thank you all for your information and support!

Sponsored Links
Old 10-11-2011, 01:02 PM   #2
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Heya!

Wheat Seitan, Quorn, Nuts would be good vegetarian proteins for you in addition to the dairy .. yogurt, milk, cheese, eggs .. The seitan and quorn would work as meat-substitutes.

I have not breastfed as an lc vegetarian .. had my kiddos before I lost weight, but I imagine if you chose to up your carb count, you could simply add in lots of extra vegetables and things like yogurt that have a good wallop of healthy carbs! That said, I can lose weight on up to 100 net carbs, but find my appetite suppression and ketosis kicks in really well at around 50 net carbs ..

As far as sweet cravings I do eat a lot of sweets, lol! Flax muffins with whipped cream (taste like gingerbread), chocolate coconut oil candy with walnuts and whey protein powder, nut butter and jam "sandwiches" on a half lc pita .. I can't do things like cheesecake or cream cheese clouds as I am sensitive to cream cheese and sour cream - they make me retain water and, essentially "gain weight" - it is something I have found out over the years through trial and error and I only use cream cheese for special occasions .. like Thanksgiving, lol!

I bumped a thread with more information, here: How To LOWCARB As a Vegetarian (Some Basics for LC Veg in General and Atkins) You should read through as there is more information later in the thread (just ignore any anti-vegetarian "talk" in there, lol!).

hth some!!

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 09:35 AM   #3
Senior LCF Member

Pauline, Thank you for all of your help! I am heading to the health food store for a colic remedy for my baby so I am going to pick up the seitan and the quorn. I may have to start slow on the lifestyle, since I have people still bringing me food from the baby being born and I don't want to hurt their feelings haha But I want to start eating some meals this way now. Have you heard of the vegetarian Schwarzbain (sp.?) cookbook? It may have been mentioned because I have not yet read the long thread but I will tonight. It has many lower carb vegetarian recipes in it. I purchased it before I was pregnant and just researching. I am glad you like low carb sweets, I was scared I was going to get flamed for asking! I will also pick up some flax to make the muffins. I will keep you posted!

Many thanks,
Val
MsBlondeGRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2011, 10:08 AM   #4

I've heard of Schwarzbein but don't know anything about it Val! You'll have to let us know if you find any recipes you really like!!! I imagine you can substitute either quorn (the plain one that looks like a loaf that you slice -- in the frozen food section, yellow box), or seitan for any stirfry-type dish that uses tofu.

As far as flaming, lol!! I am the opposite of the "purists" you find on other boards around here. I think there is a variety of things that can work for people and if a person can lose weight and keep it up eating a bag of potato chips a day, god bless 'em I say, lol!!!! It annoys me that people make it seem like it all has to be so gruesomely difficult or only for the "pure of heart" so that others probably give up before they've even started. Luckily, my "bag of chips" is "lc sweets" and I can tolerate them, lol!!! Hopefully you are the same .. the nice thing for vegetarians is that our sweets can have really good nutritional bang for the buck using things like flax, nuts, dairy, good fats ... things we need!!!

Have fun shopping!!

Pauline
Old 10-14-2011, 07:37 AM   #5
Senior LCF Member

So happy you are not a purist, I have to move slowly into a lifestyle change!!! It takes much planning with a 5 week old baby, for certain. May I ask you for the flax muffin recipe you use if it isn't too much trouble? I am not too good with the search feature on LCF and pull up way too many results and none specific. I purchased a bag of Quorn crumbles, but did not have time to look for the loaf. My baby started crying in the store, and I had to pay and run out I think I saw the wheat seitan, it was in like a bowl container and was brown? Also wanted to ask, when you recommend milk, do you use the whole milk? I know all milks have equal carb counts but the higher fat in the whole may be better for this lifestyle. And with the whipped cream on the flax muffins, is that heavy cream you whip or the sugar free whipped cream in the can?

thank you Pauline!!!
MsBlondeGRIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2011, 10:12 AM   #6

Well, MsBlondeGRIT ..

To begin with, here is the flax muffin recipe. The first post is the one that has worked for me: http://www.lowcarbfriends.com/bbs/lo...in-recipe.html. I am not sure whether the bowl thingy was seitan or not .. it comes in varying packages in the cold case usually.

As far as the rest ..... lol, it is a really good thing I confessed earlier on in this thread, lol! I personally do some things that technically are not good on Atkins - or are not ideal, shall we say .. for varying reasons, so I will give you two sets of answers ..

Answer #1
If I were advising someone either starting Atkins, and/or a good ways away from their goal weight, I would say that one should use heavy cream in things like hot drinks - but sparingly, 2-3T a day. If a more milk-like drink was desired, going to soymilk (not an option for you), hemp milk, almond milk, coconut milk or a recipe like this one Homemade Low Carb Milk would be the way to go to truly be doing Induction and OWL lower rungs.

As far as whipped cream, I would say to stick with the little pints of heavy whipping cream. Pull our your stick blender and whip it up as needed. it also keeps in the fridge for a while. Alternately, a real vegan idea, is whipped coconut milk:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicole T View Post
There's a few different ways to make [coconut milk] but the easiest is to take a can of coconut milk and put it in the fridge (overnight is best). Open the can the next morning, skim off the top half of the can (will be very thick and creamy) and leave the coconut "water" in the other half of the can (can drink it or use it in smoothies if you eat them). I add a little vanilla (about 1/2 teaspoon) and a sprinkle of stevia and then whip with a mixer. Tada--coconut whipped cream
Answer #2
If like me, you are on maintenance or close to maintenance .. or trying not to be in ketosis due to breastfeeding .. basically a person who can afford select carbs but may be concerned about the calorie level of certain things, you might use some products that are not ideal for initial weightloss ...

I cannot use heavy cream because the calories are simply too high for me in the quantity I wish to use it if I am to stay this weight and be able to eat as I like to eat, lol! .. so I use 1% milk like the rest of the family (and yes whole milk beats what I do, but is truly a second to the other options I listed in "answer#1" lol!). As far as whipped cream, I totally suck both as far as using healthy items and as far as being Atkins-pure and use a lowfat product with actual sugar in it .. hahahahaa don't tell!! Being a mom of a newborn, I think cutting corners is a great idea .. I do think I saw a heavy whipped cream can that had no sugar in it last time I was at the market .. you might check that out next trip!
Old 10-17-2011, 01:45 PM   #7

Gallery: DimSumKitty
Veggie Atkins

Congratulations on your baby!

I LOVE eggs (and not just because I am briefly egg fasting right now). As a vegetarian, I find them a fantastic source of protein (especially as I can't seem to metabolize beans, and have an inflammatory reaction to wheat based protein alternatives such as seitan). Know you will figure out what works for you!
DimSumKitty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 01:35 PM   #8
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: nikki
Stats: 185/131/120
WOE: Low-carb Vegetarian
Start Date: November 20, 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaDa! View Post
Heya!

Wheat Seitan, Quorn, Nuts would be good vegetarian proteins for you in addition to the dairy .. yogurt, milk, cheese, eggs .. The seitan and quorn would work as meat-substitutes.
I have been thinking of making seitan (my mom will freak out as she is gluten free, but she lives far, far away and I just won't tell her, lol). Anyway my question is, doesn't seitan have a lot of carbs?

As for sweets, I make a marvelous protein powder pancake: it is a scoop of protein powder, 2 tbsp egg beaters, 2-3 tbsp water, 1 tsp baking soda. I fry it up in a nonstick pan and put a few sprinkles of Butter Bus and some Walden Farms pancake syrup on it. It has 172 calories, but those calories are comprised of 38g protein, 0 fat and only 2 carbs. I have one a few times a week - for dessert! Cures that sweet tooth every time.
nikki is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 02:36 PM   #9

Nikki, it has more than soy would ... at like 8 carbs for 3 oz versus 1 net carb for 3 oz of tofu .. still very lowcarb with as much carbs as a cup of vegetables ...

hth!

Pauline
Old 11-02-2011, 03:43 AM   #10
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: locarblady
For the Mom who is breastfeeding her newborn - I breastfed 3 babies for a year each and always noticed a colic problem if I ate beans, too many onions, and anything highly spicey. Some babies react to what comes thru the milk and other babies don't. Mine all did! Enjoy this time nursing your little one - it goes by so quickly!
locarblady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2011, 03:14 PM   #11
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: walkingwoman1
Stats: 167/135/130
WOE: my own vegetarian adapted from Atkins
Start Date: December 2010
Hi! I'm vegetarian and started low-carb in May. It has been a bit slower to lose weight, but I'm doing okay having lost 20 pounds in about 5 1/2 months. I'm also have hypothyroid but eat soy products, especially tofu. I have my thyroid monitored by my doc about 3 to 4 times a year and eating soy (which I ate even whey I was not low carb) has not made it worse. On days when I really want something sweet, I get a 1/4 cup of ricotta cheese sprinkled with splenda. Yummy! On celebration days, like birthdays for my kids, I break the diet and eat cake but then I go back to the low-carb. It doesn't seem to matter as long as I stay consistent with the diet.
walkingwoman1 is offline   Reply With Quote