Low Carb Friends  
Netrition.com - Tools - Reviews - Faces - Recipes - Home

Go Back   Low Carb Friends > Eating and Exercise Plans > Weight Loss Plans > Vegetarian
Register FAQ Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-11-2011, 12:49 PM   #1
Way too much time on my hands!

Gallery: TaDa!
Stats: 236.5 /132.5/ 128-133 @5'3"
WOE: Atkins Maintenance (Vegetarian + Fish)
Start Date: 6/03 & Goal! 5/06
Wow! Cheap vegetables!!!

I live about a mile from a farm and was bringing the kids there for some ice cream ... welllllllllll some of the vegetables they grow right there are relatively cheap - where some others are pricey or match the price at the local supermarkets ...

I have been scoring two large eggplants for $1!!! They have the dark purple, a variegated variety called "graffiti" and a pale purple japanese eggplant. Summer squash and zucchinis are larger than the supermarket's and are 3/$1!!!

and I just realized that they lay their own eggs there .. and I plan to go check out the chicken coops, lol! to see how they compare with the "humane certified" eggs I buy that are so pricey! hahahaa if you hear of a vegetarian activist getting arrested ... you'll know whose picture to expect in the paper .. lol!

Anyhow, I am now hooked on checking out the local farms for the produce they sell when they have too many, lol! Anyhow, just thought I'd mention it!! I had stopped making eggplant daily due to the price .. woooot!!!!

Pauline

Stats: 47 Years Old & 5'3" tall
Weight: 236.5 (43 bmi) / 132.5 / 128-133 (size 4/6 .. 23 bmi)

*Weekly Weigh-In 7/10/12

My Journal
Year One Weightloss and Chart
My Weightloss Story
TaDa! is offline   Reply With Quote

Sponsored Links
Old 09-15-2011, 03:30 AM   #2

Update on the eggplant .. I prefer the black-skinned eggplant to the Japanese or Graffiti varieties. They are both extremely mild and would be great for people who do not really like eggplant .. or claim not to like eggplant, lol!

So I am all happy happy with my 2/$1 eggplant and decided that I would stop at any local farms that had a store (and fields I could see) .. I stopped at one that looks very popular and thought there was no way I'd find anything really cheap .. hahahaa the same amount of eggplant that was 50 cents or less at my neighborhood farm, was $3 there ... but I looked around at the great variety (they must get things in from other farms too), and finally spied very big bundles of kale that weigh in at a pound weight for $1, so I had kale last night and will have some more today .. I will probably try this recipe since I have all the ingredients:

Quote:
Originally Posted by nolcjunk View Post
I just wing it when I make it but here is a recipe that is basically like mine:

Raw Kale Salad with Avocado and Cherry Tomatoes
Makes 2 light, dinner-sized servings

1 bunch kale
Olive oil (about 2 T. or to taste)
1 t. sea salt
1 large, ripe avocado, cut in half and pitted
1 large, very flavorful tomato, diced, or a large handful of cherry tomatoes, halved or quartered
1-3 green onions, thinly sliced (optional – I didn’t use onion because I had none)
Juice of 1 lemon

Wash the kale thoroughly. Devein it (take out the stem all the way up the leaves) and either cut into small squares or, the method I prefer, chiffonade. (Roll the leaves up into tubes and slice thin strips across the tubes, resulting in very fine strips of kale.) Put kale in large bowl.

Prepare the rest of your ingredients – chop tomatoes, slice green onions, cut avocado in half, remove seed, and get a spoon ready, placing it alongside the avocado. Measure out 1 t. sea salt into a small dish. Squeeze lemon juice into another small dish. Set all these aside.

Pour olive oil (about 2 T.) over the kale. Then, after washing hands thoroughly, “massage” the kale, running your fingers through it again and again until it is entirely coated with the olive oil. Add in the salt and continue to massage until kale wilts down a bit.

Pick up an avocado half and squeeze the whole thing over the bowl until all the flesh comes out. Repeat with the other half. You can use your spoon if any last bits cling to the inside of the peel. Then massage the avocado into the kale until smooth. Add in tomato, onion, and lemon juice, and toss thoroughly. Taste to see if it needs any additional salt. Wash your gooey hands, and enjoy!

from this blog
Raw raw raw! In My Box

It's really tasty and a nice flavor change from using mixed greens as the base. I don't massage it like the recipe but I do work it in well and then let it sit for a bit.
Old 09-15-2011, 10:35 AM   #3
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Gallery: Nigel
That's great. I always prefer buying vegetables right off the farms, but we don't have any around here, not even any Farmer's Markets.
Once in a while when we travel around just for fun, I discover someone selling homegrown tomatoes or squash or something on the side of the road--it's a big thrill for me. lol

The vegetable prices you got are so wonderful---things are very expensive in our stores, but I love hearing about bargains.
Nigel is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 12:03 PM   #4

I do try to stick to the less expensive vegetables since we eat them in large quantity, especially lc'ing without grains .. at the supermarket for example, white cabbage is one of the cheaper ones at .29 to .49/lb. And best of all, as a leafy vegetable it is one of the lowest carb ones!

Where do you live Nigel?
Old 09-15-2011, 03:20 PM   #5
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I live in south Texas...plenty of cotton farmers around but no vegetable farmers. Bummer!!
Old 09-16-2011, 03:04 AM   #6
Senior LCF Member

Gallery: Heidinem
Stats: 130/111/105 (5')
WOE: mostly pescetarian, moderate carbs
Start Date: November 1, 2009
Have you noticed the huge price jump in avocados? My store is selling them for $1.69. I just dont have it in me to pay that much yet. I have to get over the sticker shock.
Heidinem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 03:23 AM   #7

That's a bummer Nigel!! but you probably get some kind of price advantage on veggies coming from south of the border at the supermarket compared to us all the way up here ..

Heidi .. ohmigawd yes! Here in New England they are the same price. And that is probably one reason I am so happy to get some good priced veggies - I had been eatiing a cheddar avocado melt on half an lc pita for lunch everyday .. only 1/4 an avocado .. but still! This is his the time of year they used to be cheaper and go on sale, etc.
Old 09-16-2011, 11:39 AM   #8
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You know at the beginning of this year, the really small avocados were 4/$1 at Walmart, but they were really hard. They never ripened properly, so not a great deal after all. Most of them ruined before they ripened.

I have found that keeping them in the fridge will make them last longer if they are not quite ripe yet.

The other day, the small avocados were $1 each.

I heard that our food prices were going up 60%...Jiminy Crickets!! They seem to go up from 25% to 50% every two weeks around here.

Pineapples were $1.50 each. Two weeks later, they were $2.50 each and then two weeks after that, $4 each. They were the same dang pineapples too cause they were overripe at the $4 price.

TaDa, I think our produce should be cheaper since we are only about an hour from Mexico, but it isn't...funny enough, they get produce from CA. Isn't that crazy?

Here is an example. I got one grapefruit two days ago...@1.28 lb for 1.78. Ouch!! A few months ago, I got some 4/$!, they were smaller, but still grapefruits.

I got 2 naval oranges cause that is all they had. Sometimes they have the smaller oranges. They were $1.47 lb and it was $2.45 for the two of them.

Bananas were .48 lb now. Last week they were .45 and before that and for months and months, maybe all this year they were only .40 lb. It all adds up.

On the bright side, nectarines were .77 lb, the cheapest they have ever been that I recall. Last week they were $1.25 lb, which I thought was a great price then.

The calabaza squash was .98 lb which is a good price cause it's usually at least 50% higher than that.

They had tiny pears 4/$1...good barlett pears too. About 3 of them make a regular size pear.

The best bargain and the cheapest price ever in at least 10 years was 1 lb. strawberries for .97 cents...I stocked up on those babies.

Beets were crazy priced (I'd never bought beets fresh before)--$1.99 for 3 w/tops

Cucumbers were .62 for months, then they were 3/$1, same type of cucumbers.

I keep tabs on the produce prices and depending on what is on sale, that is what I eat/drink for the week. I do a lot of juicing so I get plenty of fruits and vegetables.

I got strawberries to hull and freeze for later....a little work, but they are more than $2 lb frozen, so it's worth the small effort.
Old 09-19-2011, 04:53 AM   #9
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nzmegs
WOE: Vegetarian low carb
I love local veges as well - but over here in the UK farmers markets are seen as being "high end" and you pay through the nose. it is such a shame.

In the past few weeks i have been noticing so many gardens which appear to be full of groaning fruit trees, apples strewn over the grass, vegetable patches where the vegetables are just dying before anyone eats them. it makes me really cross. Such good food going to waste.

Everyone who has produce which they won't or can't eat should simply put it in a box at the end of their driveway and allow people to help themselves. I wish I could have a garden of my own - but our little patch is hardly big enough for the one strawberry plant we had this year!
nzmegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 05:20 AM   #10

Nigel I'm sorry to hear you don't get any kind of price break! I don't generally use all the fruits you mention - being on lowcarb and having a natural personal preference for veggies anyhow, lol!! Those citrus prices are obscene though!! Wow! I wonder has something happened to that crop .. and the avocadoes? weird!!

NZMegs Farmer's Markets here too are high-end and well, I think more for the posh to pay a zillion dollars for a tiny box of blueberries, etc etc and feel they are being noble and healthy.. that's why it surprised me to actually go into a store **at** a local farm and find cheap produce that obviously doesn't sell as well for them, etc.

That is strange that you see fruits and vegetables gong to waste in people's gardens .. I agree with you on the "box at the end of the drive" type thing!!
Old 09-19-2011, 12:24 PM   #11
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I lived in Alabama for a brief time and lots of people had gardens...a lot of them sat out front of their houses and sold the extra produce. It was part of their yearly income. I loved shopping from people's gardens. A lot of the ladies made preserves and pickles and things like that they sold also. And their prices were a lot cheaper than the store's.

Speaking of blueberries....a pint of organic blueberries was $8 at our local HEB store last week. The raspberries too.

I wasn't eating a lot of fruit or vegetables until I started juicing. I still prefer strawberries as my fruit of choice most of the time. I feel better juicing the fruits and vegetables...more vegetables than fruit. Eating a little fruit at night helps me go to sleep...don't know why, but it does.

I still low carb most of the time, just a higher amount of carbs and I'm learning to eat just micronutrients. That's the tough one cause I like my cheese, etc. and dairy isn't allowed. Nobody said it would be easy, eh?

My ultimate goal would be to eat a raw diet, but gosh that's really tough for me. Eating a raw diet can reverse a lot of health problems, according to all that I have read.

Last edited by Nigel; 09-19-2011 at 12:25 PM..
Old 09-19-2011, 12:30 PM   #12
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

You know what was crazy priced? The acorn squash. A little one for $4 because they had it by the pound. A lot of times, they just price each squash, but the butternut squash would have been outrageous because they were so big--I didn't weigh one of them. I don't buy much winter squash but once in a while, it's something different to have.
Old 09-20-2011, 06:36 AM   #13
Junior LCF Member

Gallery: nzmegs
WOE: Vegetarian low carb
Nigel - I tried a raw diet for a few weeks a while back. I have to admit i felt fantastic and lost some weight. But you have to eat loads to get enough energy into your body. I felt like i was wading through raw veg all day...
In the end I developed a jaw problem from all the chewing - seriously! I had to go on to a soft food diet for weeks until the problem calmed down. it was mega-painful.
nzmegs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 01:59 PM   #14
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

I'm sorry to hear about your jaw...that sounds very painful.

I'm wondering how one gets enough protein on a raw diet unless you just eat tons of nuts? I noticed a lot of recipes dehydrated things like bread, burgers, chips, etc. but that does take a lot of time too.
Old 10-25-2011, 09:35 AM   #15

Cheap vegetables ....

continued!

OK so the eggplant, summer squash crop at the local farm is over .. but last week on a Tuesday in late morning, I was at a different market than usual and spotted a huge selection of "reduced" vegetables that had been marked down to make way for the new shipment .. I went nuts and bought a huge selection of vegetables for peanuts!

Well, I thought to myself, maybe this is the time of day, etc that they bring out all the reduced items - my usual shopping time had been much earlier in the morning - so I went again today and scored some great stuff. The only downside is that much of it needs to be cooked fairly soon, but wow!

a lb of asparagus for $1
4 green peppers for 90 cents
3 yellow peppers for $1.13
4 red peppers for 1.25
4 portabella mushrooms for $1 (very fresh looking!)
A package of white mushrooms for $1

I already cooked up the asparagus for the family tonight and will cook up a big batch of colored peppers and onions to be used in various dishes .. Anyhow, just thought i'd mention my find for anyone else interested in getting a great find in veggies! lol!

I have noticed that some markets put them out at different stages than others - there are some places I'd never buy the clearanced produce .. so it makes sense to try a few local markets if you want to hunt some down!

Pauline
Old 10-25-2011, 11:02 AM   #16
Very Gabby LCF Member!!!

Great deals on the veggies TaDa!

They have some decent prices this week on some things.
Roma tomatoes .50 per lb
green bell peppers 3/$1
limes 6/$1

I got a lot of the roma tomatoes the last sale, about a month ago for .50 per lb also and they had great flavor.

I'm all stocked up on romaine lettuce and onions because I have a farmer pal that gave me a whole box of the romaine...so that's 12 packages with 3 lettuces in each. I'll be eating a lot of salad.

The onions are about 30lbs and I have to sort thru them, but what the heck, they were free. I never complain about free anything. lol

The store was packed with all kinds of winter squash, but outrageous prices. I read where someone got the spaghetti squash for .50 per lb and it was $1.19 per lb here and they were all the big ones, no small ones.

They did have delicata and turban and acorn and butternut and maybe a couple of others, but the dang store was moving all their produce to redo their floors so I had to keep moving out of their way, so I didn't spend much time looking. I'll go back in a couple of days and have a better look.

I had the idea that going at 9pm would work out so the store wouldn't be so crowded, then I had to contend with the floor guys. *sigh*